PDA

View Full Version : Who owns your bike??

Hitcher
12th February 2004, 11:11
I was at a presentation earlier this week where a statement was made that 80 percent of all vehicles sold in New Zealand are financed!

MrMelon
12th February 2004, 11:15
I've got a bit of a habit of paying cash for all the toys I get.

duckman
12th February 2004, 11:47
I paid half and financed the other half. It took me two years to pay it off.

But now it MINE ALL MINE.. Bwhahahahahaha :finger:

Zed
12th February 2004, 11:49
My current bike I paid cash for. Sometimes I pay cash, other times I finance...all depends on how our bank balance looks and my level of patience in waiting. :sweatdrop

In todays "microwave world" one can have everything they want immediately if their credit is good- this is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is common among men! :sneaky2:

The borrower is servant to the lender, and there are many who will be servants all of their lives. Who owns your house for instance?

Zed

Big Dog
12th February 2004, 11:53
3 months to go.

I won't say never again, however next time I will be dissapointed if I have to finance. :finger:

Finance will only happen again if I have no bike at all. :baby:

SpankMe
12th February 2004, 12:03
My SV650s was the only bike I paid cash for. I then used that for a deposit on the SV1000s.

James Deuce
12th February 2004, 12:10
3 months to go.

I won't say never again, however next time I will be dissapointed if I have to finance. :finger:

Finance will only happen again if I have no bike at all. :baby:

That's what happened to me.

Thankfully I got a lot of 'bike for the money.

At least we don't owe anything on our cars. We try to replace one car every four-five years on a trade-in/deposit/50% for 3 years finance deal. Makes it reasonably easy to mange without paying the value of the vehicle again in interest.

jrandom
12th February 2004, 12:23
Had to finance most of the FXR. Didn't have $6.5K cash for a new bike and gear. Still paying it off, but it doesn't bother me much. I don't mind borrowing if it's well-considered. I wouldn't have done the same if it'd been a 'toy bike', though.

When it's all paid for next year, I'll probably use it as a deposit on a Real Bike (tm) and start all over again... I'm not likely to have 10K-sized wads of cash laying around any time in the next decade or so.

Andrew
12th February 2004, 12:55
Apparently my boss owns my bike. Does that mean he's responsible for footing the bill for repairs on the bike?
:2thumbsup

k14
12th February 2004, 12:58
I had to borrow about 2 grand from the bank for my baby. Good to have the student package with national bank, cause i paid like $20 interest and a $50 establishment fee and thats all. Will have it paid off in about 2 weeks :D

My leathers are another story though, Mr Visa still has full ownership of them, but hopefully only for another week or so.

curious george
12th February 2004, 14:18
Mine!~!!All Mine!!! It has been very tempting to hp something like a TL1000 or a Duke, but apparently the house is more important :mad:
One day, I'd like to just hand over the cash for my bike of choice.

The bike fund stands at $3.50 now.

kasper
12th February 2004, 14:29
Paid cash for all three bike I have owned. also paid cash for all repairs.

Still prefer my first bike and still riding it.

Jackrat
12th February 2004, 14:33
I do.
I don't like to use credit for anything,I would rather ride an older bike than support finance companys.I got caught out badly by the 88-89 share market crash,even though I was not involed myself the carry over effect hit the company I worked for at time.Now even though we don,t own the flashest stuff in town,every thing we do own is ours.
It's a very good feeling.

Motu
12th February 2004, 14:49
If I can't afford it I don't own it - trouble is with that theory is I should have no posessions at all!

Coldkiwi
12th February 2004, 16:22
I'd hoped to have less of the GSXR on finance (zx-6 didn't pay as much as I wanted)but oh well. Due to be paid off in another 14 months or so.

James Deuce
12th February 2004, 17:26
Mine!~!!All Mine!!! It has been very tempting to hp something like a TL1000 or a Duke, but apparently the house is more important :mad:
One day, I'd like to just hand over the cash for my bike of choice.

The bike fund stands at $3.50 now.

If we ever meet you can have ALL my pocket change!

bungbung
12th February 2004, 17:30
I felt a bit nervous HP'ing a bike so I didn't. For some reason its ok for my car though, but only short term (12months total). odd

Al
12th February 2004, 17:31
Had a "bit" put away for a "rainy day" and because the weather is so unpredictable, did the rainy day thing and bought my 2000 F650GS for cash! 1st time ever..... :ride:

Zed
12th February 2004, 19:30
I'd hoped to have less of the GSXR on finance (zx-6 didn't pay as much as I wanted)but oh well. Due to be paid off in another 14 months or so.
You'll be ready for the GSXR1000 by that time won't you CK?...or are you ready NOW! :eek:

Zed

MadDuck
12th February 2004, 20:10
its all mine !!!!

Damn got to love redundancy. Now looking for next redundancy to upgrade ...well it was my third redundancy. Hell maybe they just dont like me :laugh:

bluninja
12th February 2004, 20:14
Bought the first RSVR outright. Got the insurance pay out when it was totalled 14 hours later and bought another. Bought the SV650 as well outright, but have now sold it.

The only debts I have now are debts of gratitude.

Motoracer
12th February 2004, 20:46
[QUOTE=bluninja]Bought the first RSVR outright. Got the insurance pay out when it was totalled 14 hours later and bought another.QUOTE]

:gob: Well?? Do tell. I am sure all of us are dieing to know how you managed to do that.

bluninja
12th February 2004, 21:12
[QUOTE=bluninja]Bought the first RSVR outright. Got the insurance pay out when it was totalled 14 hours later and bought another.QUOTE]

:gob: Well?? Do tell. I am sure all of us are dieing to know how you managed to do that.
Old story, told many times. Bought bike on my birthday (wonderful wife huh?) rode it home in wind and rain that evening. Nice morning next day went for gentle blat. Overtook line of cars, one car tries to come out into me and I missed seeing the tractor turning onto the road till too late. Tractor verus RSVR...not good. Picked new RSVR up whilst still on crutches, rode it in snow and ice for 350 miles...got back on crutches and went home.

Goddess of Goof
12th February 2004, 22:47
:innocent: Traded in my Yammie FZR 250 and paid the difference in cash.
PJ at Coleman's suzuki called over to the lady in the office - "hey look, someone's actually paying with cash, money, moolah" - and he was so happy.....

Not as happy as I was then, for I got a brand new spanking sportbike, no debts, and no worries. :sunny:

:( Until I dropped the damn thing. Twice. Once on each side ...

:eek: Until I realised the stock standard tyres were total crap.

:( and now I need to replace and repair and get new gear and -

and :ride:

ching_ching
12th February 2004, 23:16
I do.
I don't like to use credit for anything,I would rather ride an older bike than support finance companys.I got caught out badly by the 88-89 share market crash,even though I was not involed myself the carry over effect hit the company I worked for at time.Now even though we don,t own the flashest stuff in town,every thing we do own is ours.
It's a very good feeling.

I hear ya Jackrat

PeteThePom
12th February 2004, 23:27
All of the bikes I've had I paid cash for although I had to finance £300 on my present one as my need for speed was greater than my bank balance at the time!:msn-wink:

matthewt
13th February 2004, 00:11
Traded my fireblade (which I paid cash for) then added in some money and financed the rest for a new MV. Was going to buy a 2nd hand 916 but decided the MV was worth the extra grief of finance. Besides it was my business vehicle so saved a LOT of money that way. :msn-wink:

Grumpy
13th February 2004, 06:26
Paid cash for this one but have had to finance in the past. Can't say I liked buying with credit but you got to feed that addiction somehow.

BurnCycle
13th February 2004, 10:25
Mine... All mine :)

Hitcher
13th February 2004, 10:42
Mine... All mine :)

Way cool photos!! And I thought I had a big head...

Motu
13th February 2004, 11:14
big head in pink.

Motoracer
13th February 2004, 13:31
Nice pic Motu!! it actually looks like a really young kid going at it. Is it authentic?

ching_ching
13th February 2004, 13:37
I do.

Most expensive thing that I own, cost more than my ute. Mind you my ute only cost $1700 bling. Hell even my apparel cost more than my ute.

OMG I'm driving around in a piece of shit!! AArrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

DEATH_INC.
14th February 2004, 08:19
Ummmm,I have to pay cash as I can't get insurance :rolleyes: ......

Motu
14th February 2004, 09:24
Nice pic Motu!! it actually looks like a really young kid going at it. Is it authentic?

It's a young Japanese girl,I think she's 8 in that pic - I had it as my wallpaper for a long time,everyone thinks the photo is distorted,but she's the real deal...99% of grown men can't ride like that.

Kwaka-Kid
14th February 2004, 10:10
Paid cash for all 6 bikes ive owned and 2 cars, oh and the van is an exeption, as it is a handmedown but must go back up when i dont need it for racing (hah like im going to "Not need" it anytime in the next 20years!) Saving for house atm and hoping to buy end of this year maybe start of next, but thats the only thing in life i ever want to share with the bank. Every inch of my vechiles is allllllll miiiinnnee! and Curious George im with you, only i have about double your bike savings as i forgot to buy a rose for valentines (straight into the new bike fund.) i figure if i skip lunch the next few weeks aswell i might get a few cents more, how about we go halves in a Yamaha or something? tell the guy he can drain the petrol and oil then he might drop in price to our level. ;)

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 12:50
Don't know who owns my bike - I hope he is having fun on it tho...... :(

moko
14th February 2004, 15:39
Always pay cash for mine,if I cant afford it I dont have it.Main reason being that I bought a new GS850 way back and got made redundant.Had to sell it after 9 months still owing a lot more than the bike was worth and struggled for the next 2 years plus for an expensive bike I didn`t have any more.Couldn`t tell them to stuff their money as a mate had stood as guarentor for me.Quite happy with what I`ve got and nothing out there makes me want to rush out and buy on credit.

Zed
14th February 2004, 17:13
Always pay cash for mine,if I cant afford it I dont have it.Main reason being that I bought a new GS850 way back and got made redundant.Had to sell it after 9 months still owing a lot more than the bike was worth and struggled for the next 2 years plus for an expensive bike I didn`t have any more.Couldn`t tell them to stuff their money as a mate had stood as guarentor for me.Quite happy with what I`ve got and nothing out there makes me want to rush out and buy on credit.
Moko, that is most definately a learning experience!

I purchased a brand new Fireblade in '95 for $18,000 on finance and sold it 14 months later for $10,000 because I got married and my car gave up the ghost...circumstantial, yes, but in hindsight I really didn't have to sell it immediately and lose so much money- I'm still wondering if I have learned from that one??:sly:

I vowed that I wouldn't buy a brand new bike again (understanding that "you lose money on them when you ride out of the showroom"), but those new Ninja 636's are sooooo tempting! :eek5:

Zed

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 18:00
I vowed that I wouldn't buy a brand new bike again (understanding that "you lose money on them when you ride out of the showroom"), but those new Ninja 636's are sooooo tempting! :eek5:
Zed
Oh soooo true......initial ownership depreciation is measured at around 25-33% depending on the vehicle. Just due to the fact that once you sign your name to the papers it is no longer a NEW bike/car etc.

Can't see the point in buying brand new myself - let someone else take the initial ownership hit.

With the NZD creeping up to 0.70USD and tipped to hit 0.75USD- it will be interesting to see whether this has any impact on the bike prices....my guess is not - given the Manus in NZ had to preorder the bikes well before the ER increase.

Zed
14th February 2004, 18:13
...Can't see the point in buying brand new myself - let someone else take the initial ownership hit...
With that in mind, if you keep a close eye on private bike sales in the T&E and on TradeMe for instance, you will find some real bargains where people like myself have purchased brand new motorcycles and then feel the need to onsell within a short period of time! :weep: (believe me I've seen quite a few over the years) If you have the patience to wait and the finance available, I recommend waiting for such deals.

Zed

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 18:33
Right you are - this is esp true of trail bikes at the moment - you can pick them up for a bargain.

I bought my VTR thru the T&E, it was 16 months old, had only done 7000km, still on original rubber, in mint condition for $10k, 2 years later I traded it in on the R1 for $10,000. Not bad

Coldkiwi
14th February 2004, 18:51
GSXR 1000? nah.. I want to go green again :) I'll be doing just what you and wkid are discussing hopefully and finding a low Km's immaculate ZX-10 in a year or two with my name on it!

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 20:30
GSXR 1000? nah.. I want to go green again :) I'll be doing just what you and wkid are discussing hopefully and finding a low Km's immaculate ZX-10 in a year or two with my name on it!
NICE>>>> I have seen pics of the new Maroon R1 and it looks the bollocks!! Only thing I don't like about the ZX10 is the can.....it doesn't suit the rest of the bike, and the present trend for underseat exhausts kinda leaves it behind.

Apparently the ratings go like this:

Ride
1st - CBR1
2nd - ZX10
3rd - GSXR
- R1 is yet to be tested against the other bikes, as Yam were late.

Hp
1st - R1 ~~171hp
2nd - ZX10 ~~163hp
3rd - CBR1 ~~156hp
4th - GSXR ~~154hp
- all exclude Ram Air which is good for another 10hp when rolling. However none have been tested back to back on the same dyno.

From all the reviews/tests I have read on the internet.

Big Dog
16th February 2004, 18:32
If you really want a good price keep a look out for people who just got a good fright.

I was offered but unable to fund a cbr1000 for $1,500 (what was still owing on it after near death experience) and a gsxr750 for $800 (after getting to within a couple of demerits).

Both times unfortunately someone else came up with the scratch faster than I could. :brick:

Rocket
17th March 2004, 08:07
Well im looking to finance like 3 thousand dollars for my first bike :). I see this as not a problem as it is such a little amount, just cant be bothered saving for it basically :)

Can anyone suggest any finance companys thy have had good experiences with?

Oscar
17th March 2004, 08:35
Well im looking to finance like 3 thousand dollars for my first bike :). I see this as not a problem as it is such a little amount, just cant be bothered saving for it basically :)

Can anyone suggest any finance companys thy have had good experiences with?

FOr that amount of money, your options are very limited.
If you're buying from a shop, take the dealer finance. Otherwise try your bank or credit union, or even take it off a credit card (sure the interest rate is higher, but the repayment terms are more flexible).

Holy Roller
17th March 2004, 18:36
Well im looking to finance like 3 thousand dollars for my first bike :).
I paid $3100 for my first bike a GSX250EZ way back in 81. brand spankers with helmet and gloves thrown in. Put it on tick, I had trouble free riding for 3 yrs untill I sold it after a NDE. I was young and (stupid) :blah: did not care about the extra finance added to the initial cost. My XV was $3000, cash was paid. Major expenses are an Air filter $111 ( for an air filter?) Tyres, and lately the clutch not bad for three years hooning around.
My next bike if the handbrake gets released, will be looking at some finance and my bike as a deposit.

Two Smoker
17th March 2004, 18:41
I paid 2 grand for my bike in cash, then bought my gear which cost about $2000 (and thats at wholesalers rates:argh: ), $100 for the spring return on the kickstart, and $164.50 on a Speedo Meter Box (FUCKING INSANE:brick: ) But in total have spent like 5000 coz of extra fairings for racing etc....

MikeL
17th March 2004, 19:04
Who owns my bike?
The insurance company now.
:weep:

wkid_one
17th March 2004, 19:12
i am still waiting know what happened

Two Smoker
17th March 2004, 19:16
i am still waiting know what happened
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2023

its in that thread and there is pictures to :niceone:

RiderInBlack
17th March 2004, 19:49
Technically I do:rolleyes:, but my visa card and bank OD + the unsercured loan my bank give me as a "New Grad" (over and above my Student Loan) would say otherwise:whistle: . The money I used to buy the CBR was from the insurance paid out for the VFR (fell off the Ute while loading it :doh: ). The VFR was brought using the "New Grad Loan". I still need a new (SS?) pipes (hole in the collector box blocked with "Kneed-It":whistle: ) and repaint the rims (paint peeling and I want to powder coat them) so the visa and OD will not be getting better in a hurry. But, hey, I've got my own bike:niceone: :niceone:

James Deuce
18th March 2004, 05:30
Who owns my bike?

I can't believe they wrote it off after that relatively minor bingle!

It certainly didn't look unrepairable in the photos.

Have you gotten any closer to purchasing something else?

wkid_one
18th March 2004, 06:53
Ta smoker!

MikeL
18th March 2004, 07:20
Colemans costed the repairs on the basis of new list price for Suzuki parts. Given the cost of individual items it's not surprising that it quickly adds up to more than the value of the bike. However I wasn't expecting the total to reach $11,000 (and that's excluding labour). When I asked the insurance assessor for a break down, he went through some of the items and I just couldn't believe the prices, e.g. $1,200 for the stock Suzuki exhaust.
Anyway the good news is that the insurance company have agreed to pay out the full insured value ($9,200) less excess. I'm not in a hurry to buy anything yet because it's still a couple of weeks at least before I can ride again, and I've still got my Honda 400 in the meantime.

SPman
18th March 2004, 07:22
- all exclude Ram Air which is good for another 10hp when rolling. However none have been tested back to back on the same dyno.

Sport Rider - same day, same dyno, no ram air - some controversy over the CBR1000! (to new and tight?)

6Chris6
18th March 2004, 07:23
Who owns my bike?
Thats shockin Mike, it certainly looked to me like a new front end and she'd be up and running again. Hows the hunt for a new 1 goin?

babyB
26th March 2004, 01:26
i own both my bikes payed cash for them (3years apart) and the gear. wont sell either of them