PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

kro
24th October 2005, 07:11
Does anyone else hate trying to communicate with another person who insists on speaking/typing in TXT language?.

Long story cut short, I found an reasonable looking DR350 1999 , but the guy who owns it speaks in TXT, and I f$%king hate it with a passion. I don't feel comfortable parting company with 3.5k to someone who wont (or cant) communicate like a normal person. Am I just too old, and can't accept change, or has the Queens English suddenly become redundant?.

Cut and paste time
hey, da bike goze wel, nuffin rong wid it, duznt blo smoke, has BB xhst, and new tyrs.

Please help me Dr Phil, what can I do?.

curious george
24th October 2005, 07:19
Haha! Ur gttng olds!1!11!

Bonez
24th October 2005, 07:34
Does anyone else hate trying to communicate with another person who insists on speaking/typing in TXT language?.

Long story cut short, I found an reasonable looking DR350 1999 , but the guy who owns it speaks in TXT, and I f$%king hate it with a passion. I don't feel comfortable parting company with 3.5k to someone who wont (or cant) communicate like a normal person. Am I just too old, and can't accept change, or has the Queens English suddenly become redundant?.

Cut and paste time
hey, da bike goze wel, nuffin rong wid it, duznt blo smoke, has BB xhst, and new tyrs.

Please help me Dr Phil, what can I do?.Should have been- he bro, da mc goze wel, nuffin rong wid id, duznt blo smk, hs BB xhst, an nu tyrs
-tis tis

erik
24th October 2005, 07:42
I think txt spelling in a txt makes sense 'cause they are so short and they charge 20c/txt (if you're with vodafone) plus the keypads on the phones aren't the easiest to type on.

But using txt language when you could type normal english is annoying, yep.

DMNTD
24th October 2005, 07:45

Please help me Dr Phil, what can I do?.

Mst b da bomb eh :argh: :devil2:

SPORK
24th October 2005, 08:32
I think txt spelling in a txt makes sense 'cause they are so short and they charge 20c/txt (if you're with vodafone) plus the keypads on the phones aren't the easiest to type on.

But using txt language when you could type normal english is annoying, yep.
Common misconception. Anyone that uses predictive knows that they can belt out a text in no time at all. And for a message like that, it wouldn't take up more than a full text by any means.

I wouldn't trust him either. And I'm 15...

speights_bud
24th October 2005, 08:49
I agree, predictive txt is way faster once you have it set up, and i wouldnt trust this guy, if he was really serious about it you think he would be a bit more formal when making the sale.

DMNTD
24th October 2005, 08:52
... and i wouldnt trust this guy, if he was really serious about it you think he would be a bit more formal when making the sale.

Definately agree :mobile:

Ms Piggy
24th October 2005, 09:08
It's just 1 of those things, evolution I reckon. I don't use it when I text & I find it difficult to understand...maybe I'm just not hip & street wise enough - nah that can't be right!

Maybe you should talk to him on the phone or go and look at the bike, no point giving up on a good deal cos text languages pisses you off. :D

Motig
24th October 2005, 09:54
plobley cose thay cunt spill :headbang:

Beemer
24th October 2005, 09:58
I can handle things like B4 (before) and CU (see you) but the rest of the abbreviations really irritate me! By the time I've figured out what they were trying to say, I am so over what they were saying anyway.

Tell him you have no idea what he's talking about and can he use English?

cowboyz
24th October 2005, 10:15
My soon-to-be teenager came home the other day talking about a mad-as kid with a mad-as car and a mad-as this and that. And it was so mad that everyone round him was just going mad.

At 10 you would think that he would have learnt the meaning of the word mad by now??

DMNTD
24th October 2005, 10:27
...At 10 you would think that he would have learnt the meaning of the word mad by now??
I'm still trying to figure out how "Bad" can be good :mellow:

Charlie
24th October 2005, 10:36
It's just 1 of those things, evolution I reckon. I don't use it when I text & I find it difficult to understand...maybe I'm just not hip & street wise enough - nah that can't be right!

Maybe you should talk to him on the phone or go and look at the bike, no point giving up on a good deal cos text languages pisses you off. :D
Agree - its a 10 min puzzle just to decipher the txt code sometimes. Grates me too. But it could just be his age/social circle. Give him a call, he may be more professional about the sale in person - or, to your advantage, the complete opposite. You might talk him into an awesome bargain and get yourself a good bike (assuming the bike infact "duznt blo smk"). :niceone:

My soon-to-be teenager came home the other day talking about a mad-as kid with a mad-as car and a mad-as this and that. And it was so mad that everyone round him was just going mad.
At 10 you would think that he would have learnt the meaning of the word mad by now??
Yip youths talk a totally different language. Met some kids from Aussie a couple of weeks ago and was offended when they referred to something of mine as "really sick" (said seeeck).
I found out soon after that meant it was really cool. Well... silly me; go figure! :mellow:

Black
24th October 2005, 10:43
I think you should get over it and check the bike out!

Each generation has its own quirks. Sure, none have butchered the english language as much as this one but its become so ingrained in them that they can't see why txt language is innapropriate.
(I've had many discussion with my nephew about this, he uses txt language almost exclusively in all correspondance, even written letters!)

Texting and MSN messanger are almost the only ways they communicate with each other.
(I've seen two intermediate kids sitting next to each other, texting to each other!)

Don't get me wrong, I hate the txt language.

Don't miss out on a good opportunity because he is uneducated in the use of good language, you are the one who will miss out!.

Ixion
24th October 2005, 10:44
Ltn up u old dudes. Whz da prblm. Wks 4 me

thehollowmen
24th October 2005, 10:49
I can read it, but I don't like the use of it.
The reason I can read it is that it was used to save bandwidth when a long line in IRC could lag whatever network you were on...

Anyways, it has been around for 15 odd years, but in our high bandwidth society there is no need to use it. I can use predictive text and throw out messages unbeleviably fast.

Morse code people can still belt out stuff faster than people on cellphones (I got the vid of that if anybody wants it) but it doesn't mean we should be using it in everyday language.

thehollowmen
24th October 2005, 10:55
Ltn up u old dudes. Whz da prblm. Wks 4 me
... --- -.. -.. / --- ..-. ..-. --..-- / - .... .. ... / .. ... / .-- .- -.-- / ..-. .- ... - . .-. .-.-.- / ..- ... . / -- --- .-. ... . .-.-.- / .. .----. .-.. .-.. / ..- .--. .-.. --- .- -.. / - .... . / ...- .. -.. / - --- / .--. .-. --- ...- . / .. - .-.-.-

http://n6tv.kkn.net/

Ixion
24th October 2005, 11:18
... --- -.. -.. / --- ..-. ..-. --..-- / - .... .. ... / .. ... / .-- .- -.-- / ..-. .- ... - . .-. .-.-.- / ..- ... . / -- --- .-. ... . .-.-.- / .. .----. .-.. .-.. / ..- .--. .-.. --- .- -.. / - .... . / ...- .. -.. / - --- / .--. .-. --- ...- . / .. - .-.-.-

http://n6tv.kkn.net/
-- . .... / ..--.. / / --- -... ... --- .-.. . - . / ..--.. / / .. / --. --- - / .- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.- . -.-- / ... --- -- . .-- .... . .-. . / -... ..- - / .... --- .-- / .- -- / .. / --. --- -. -. .- / .- - - .- -.-. .... / .. - / - --- / / -.-. . .-.. .-.. .--. .... --- -. .

Charlie
24th October 2005, 11:24
-- . .... / ..--.. / / --- -... ... --- .-.. . - . / ..--.. / / .. / --. --- - / .- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.- . -.-- / ... --- -- . .-- .... . .-. . / -... ..- - / .... --- .-- / .- -- / .. / --. --- -. -. .- / .- - - .- -.-. .... / .. - / - --- / / -.-. . .-.. .-.. .--. .... --- -. .
I cant be fagged translating that but:
-.-. .-.. . ...- . .-. / .-.. .- -.. ...

kro
24th October 2005, 12:07
I agree, predictive txt is way faster once you have it set up, and i wouldnt trust this guy, if he was really serious about it you think he would be a bit more formal when making the sale.

precisely my thoughts. Hit the nail on the head, I think thats what my angle on it is.

thehollowmen
24th October 2005, 19:12
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/coolmf/index.html
come on.. if he can do it so can you

http://www.hulger.com/ and them too

Mental Trousers
24th October 2005, 19:42
It's just 1 of those things, evolution I reckon

Devolution. It's kinda like how kids these days can't seem to keep their pants up.

Lou Girardin
25th October 2005, 14:19
Do these 'evolving' kids realise what happens to their CV's when they fill them with misspelt gibberish?
File thirteen for most of 'em.

Devil
25th October 2005, 14:29
One of the things that gets me these days is stupid grammar, like people starting a sentence with "And". The harold journamalists are terrible at it!

ManDownUnder
25th October 2005, 14:31

Cut and paste time

Please help me Dr Phil, what can I do?.\

No mate - you're not alone. I hate it with a passion too. Too much work to read it and it's "bro talk" 1/2 the time anyway... which winds me up even further

Colapop
25th October 2005, 14:36
Maybe evolution, maybe laziness? Anyone remember this; http://www.smartmobs.com/archive/2003/03/03/is_txt_mightier.html

The thing with txt is that it makes the meaning of someone intention harder to understand. It's hard enough in here (forumville) to understand some people who are using whole words let alone txt!

crashe
25th October 2005, 14:51
\

No mate - you're not alone. I hate it with a passion too. Too much work to read it and it's "bro talk" 1/2 the time anyway... which winds me up even further

Off topic a tad .
MDU - Have you found your cell phone yet, or are you on another mob number?

I am not gonna waste 20 cents if you haven't found it yet.....lol.

PM me if its a new number. cheers.

As you all were................... thanks.

froggyfrenchman
25th October 2005, 14:59
i wont use "full txt language" but when comunicating electronically i will often abreviate words as the txters do. Not nearly to the same extent they will, mind you

Jantar
25th October 2005, 23:21

No problem at all. Just make up a small oscillator to modulate your microphone. I must admit that those old keys can be clumsy to carry around though.

Darlios
25th October 2005, 23:40
Well I'm 18 and i usually type out in full letters in text messeges except for some words (such as before and the word messeges... and the word people).

Half the time i don't know what half of the people are on about and i'm meant to be part of their generation or whatever. Although i think people have some issues with how i phrase things... i think.

But seriously if he's doing a sale he should be formal... wouldn't trust half the text talking gibberish fobs that sell things on trademe or anywhere else...

Lias
26th October 2005, 08:31
look at the lexicon of the internet and gaming.. It's not just kids, adults have eben butchering the english language for years.

Hell look at our own KB jargon?

kro
27th October 2005, 19:37
Just some follow up on the email I received from the chap selling the DR350......I decided I wanted to pursue the DR, despite the guys laxed use of english, and see if I could have some fun along the way.

(kronos)
Good afternoon, I emailed you a couple of days ago regarding the Suzuki DR350 you had advertised, and got something of a confusing reply. I was keen to know if there was someone at this email address, whom I could get some detailed information about the bike from.
I was keen to find out:
Tyre condition.
Sprocket and chain condition.
General engine condition, specifically, any nasty rattles/clunks.
Any major cracks/splits in bodywork/plastics.
Thanks very much

(guy selliong DR)
Da tyrs are swoit now splits only bout 2 moths old da xhorst is not da won dat came wif da bike its a specil
ngin is fking preemo wil take a WR4 hundy ez

(kronos)
Ok, perhaps my original email was a little unclear, I have $4500.00 to spend on a Motocross bike, and would like to speak with the person at this address who can both speak english, and tell me about the bike. I have run a spell checker over your first two email replies, and the results were inconclusive to say the least.
Please let me know if there is an English speaking person there.
Thanks alot
Dale

(guy selling DR)
I dont think your email woz very funny pal, have you never sent a txt message in your life or something?. No ned ta get all wiggy bout it.

(kronos) (still knows little if anything about bike yet)
My message was written to see if I could find out some information about the motorcycle, in a language that I was fmailiar with. Do you wish to sell the bike, or educate me on TXT langauge?. The choice is yours, although, I think I am getting less interested on the machine each time you reply.

(guy selling DR)
Fuck mate, yoo serisly need to get laid or something, how big is that carrot up yer ass?.

(kronos)
This ends here dont you think?. I wanted a paragraph or two of info about a bike, which seemed reasonable at the time.
Thanks anyway, but the XR400 I have just seen looks pretty tasty. Good bye

(guy selling DR)
Mate, don't be like that, Im sory I said that shit, I'm really trying to get rid of this thing, and I promise to speak in eglish.

Hmm, what do yall think, buy the DR350 or not?

cowboyz
28th October 2005, 04:24
you havae to see the funny side. most amusing thing I have read today. Would be interested to hear if you buy this bike or not.

And for the record. Can someone translate this for me :

Da tyrs are swoit now splits only bout 2 moths old da xhorst is not da won dat came wif da bike its a specil
ngin is fking preemo wil take a WR4 hundy ez

I thought I was not bad at translating TXT but that one is a shocker. Tires are 2 months old with what to the exhaust?

kro
28th October 2005, 05:27
I know, it is pretty shocking, I will have another crack at deciphering that tonight, and let you know.

Storm
28th October 2005, 06:03
Although I hate it with a passion also, here goes

The tyre are sweet, no splits, only about 2 months old. The exhaust is not the one that came with the bike- its a special engine, is f%$king primo. Will take a WR400 easy

Oakie
28th October 2005, 08:21
Ha ha. Loved your replies to him.
What would be realy cool now is for you to go through with the purchase for $4500 then give the the guy a cheque made out to:

" Da dude wid da bike' and made out for "45 hundy"

Teach him about the appropriate use of language.

Pixie
28th October 2005, 10:22
On the news recently they ran "the fastest texter in aussie",a cocky little prepubescent prick against a morse operator,I think he was the operator on the Titanic.He was old enough to be.
Speed Boy lost of course,and looked real sour for it too :laugh: