PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskins on bike seats

Oakie
24th October 2005, 09:03
Got a short-wool sheepskin from my daughter's work and am thinking of cutting it down to use on the bike seat on longer trips just for a bit of added comfort.

Has anyone done this? What issues are there? Was is worth it?

I guess the whole thing sliding forward on the seat under heavy braking would be the main problem (squashed nuts) but I'm thinking I'd get the sheepskin cut and sewn so it fits around the back of the seat and may also use a bit of velcro to keep it in place. Only other problem I could think of is what to do with it if it got soaked in the rain.

Any advice or opinions appreciated. (And NO, neither of us has haemorrhoids ...and yes, I checked the spelling).

crashe
24th October 2005, 09:11
Yep get one put on the bike... for both rider and pillion.

I have one... and now wondering why I didnt have it on for the past 2 days (712kms done) it really does help the butt.

But remember to not have it on when it rains...
So you need to be able to attach it so that you can get it off quick if need be.

I am on a cruiser, and I dont slip around on mine at all.
Even if I have to brake suddenly.

:spudwave: :spudwave: :spudwave:

Mongoose
24th October 2005, 09:12
Got a short-wool sheepskin from my daughter's work and am thinking of cutting it down to use on the bike seat on longer trips just for a bit of added comfort.

Has anyone done this? What issues are there? Was is worth it?

).

Yep, well worth the effort, make a HUGE difference on long trips

Silage
24th October 2005, 09:50
I have just made up one for the GS. Put four eyelets through the skin's corners and tied it to the seat with thinish bungy. Started off with a bit of foam under it then the sheepskin but didn't like that as even the little bit seemed to raise me too much. Tried it without and haven't tried it on a long ride yet but not yet convinced it helps ie it feels funny. The GS seat isn't too bad but thought it might help for the 1000km coming up (Bottled Lightning Rally).

FROSTY
24th October 2005, 11:00
they used to be all the rage years ago -really good for sore butt syndrome

Bonez
24th October 2005, 12:12
Yep, well worth the effort, make a HUGE difference on long tripsI second that. Especially those of us with less padding on our arses.

shadow
24th October 2005, 12:23
[QUOTE=Jimmie] Put four eyelets through the skin's corners and tied it to the seat with thinish bungy.

jimmies onto it then you can stop before destination and take it off quickly so no one sees it :laugh: but in saying that they are good trim it back a bit so you dont move around to much on it.

Mongoose
24th October 2005, 12:32
I second that. Especially those of us with less padding on our arses.

You dirty rotten perv, keep yer eyes off me butt :nono: Ooops :bash: now i see, you included all skinny arses :doobey:

sunhuntin
24th October 2005, 13:05
ride i went on some years back a guy who was riding an old indian had sheepskin on his seat. likely as not would have needed it!

Bonez
24th October 2005, 13:12
You dirty rotten perv I ressemble that remark and am proud of it. :moon:

Hailwood
24th October 2005, 19:59
My wife and I rode around South Island in 2001 on a Ducati Darmah...10days and many many kms.....I had a sheepskin fitted to the seat using elastic stretched under the seat...was a bit cumbersome as the whole seat had to be unbolted and bolted back on to remove or put it on but that's the italians for you....totally recommend it for any riding over 200kms in a day...yes you will get some comments (the Darmah was nicknamed the couch) but the last laugh is yours when you dont end up walking like John Wayne after a long day's riding

Oakie
24th October 2005, 20:21
In a sudden burst of enthusiasm (and after a couple of melon schnapps) I decided to just go ahead and do it tonight. Took about an hour to get the sheepskin cut out right and tucking the end of it under the seat means it is all locked down quite snugly. Road tested it and it didn't seem to move at all ... and comfy as! Great excuse to go for another decent ride next Sunday.

crashe
24th October 2005, 20:28
Oakie - Just remember to not have it on the bike when it rains ok..
cos it goes all yukky and squeashy........ and it will take ages to dry out.

kro
24th October 2005, 20:54
Do it. Put one on my impulse, and it made the world of difference. Auckland to Whitianga, was usually sore bum material on the re-pulse, but with the sheepy, I was wanting to go further.

DevoDave
24th October 2005, 21:16
how things have changed! A guy turning up to a meeting (friday night piss up) in the 70's he had a sheepskin on his seat, wool side up. Then the wanker said he only had the bike to pull the girls, so for the rest of the night everyone pissed on his sheep skin, soggy ride home! Funny thing is, we never saw him again....strange that.

Bad memories, I don't think I would go there.

Big Dave
24th October 2005, 22:16
They are good for touring - add much comfort - but they do need somewhere to be stored or covered in the wet.