PDA

View Full Version : No indicators

georgedubyabush
12th February 2004, 11:31
Indicators are not working.
Bulbs all look good, checked the obvious connections. Is there a hidden fuse somewhere? only headlights and taillights in the fuse box under the seat. Anything else I can check?

Err... zxr250

Hitcher
12th February 2004, 11:35
Indicators are not working.
Bulbs all look good, checked the obvious connections. Is there a hidden fuse somewhere? only headlights and taillights in the fuse box under the seat. Anything else I can check?

Err... zxr250

No they're not, yes they are, no they're not, yes they are...

bungbung
12th February 2004, 11:43
You could check the flasher unit itself, sometimes located under the seat.

georgedubyabush
12th February 2004, 13:02
No they're not, yes they are, no they're not, yes they are...

haha... yeah, and I thought that pond was shallow enough to ride through, it only came up to the ducks belly... :thud:

So would the flasher unit look like a small black plastic cube with a couple of prongs out the bottom when I disconnect it? Dont suppose there's any way to test without the right electrical gismo tool.

bungbung
12th February 2004, 13:22
Cube, possibly. Also smallish roundy cylinder thing covered in plastic or rubbery stuff. May sort of go click when indicator is switched on... ideally clicky click, but it doesn't sound like yours is. You'll be wanting a multimeter or a test probe of some kind to see if the flasher is powered when the indicator is switched on.

Milky
29th February 2004, 10:57
If it is a two pin indicator relay, just touch it onto a 12v battery... that will give your the input signal, and it should click over nicely... if it doesnt then u know that it is fked. If it does work, then u can isolate the probelm to your wiring/connections onto relay/switch wires.

I take no responsiblity for the accuracy if this info, but i have tried it on a number of occasions for BMW relays without destroying them.

Hope that helps,

~milky

georgedubyabush
29th February 2004, 15:02
Yeah it was the clicker thing under the seat. Bike shop just had a generic one with the correct pins but wrong shape so I just bodged it in. Had an 'HD' written on it, should I be worried?

Andrew
29th February 2004, 15:32
Yeah it was the clicker thing under the seat. Bike shop just had a generic one with the correct pins but wrong shape so I just bodged it in. Had an 'HD' written on it, should I be worried?

If it works its fine!

wkid_one
29th February 2004, 16:31
Look - for fucks sake George - half the BMW drivers in Auckland have oerfectly functioning indicators they choose not to use - what is your problem?

(note: for those unable to determine the tone, this is a joke)

georgedubyabush
1st March 2004, 09:18
Look - for fucks sake George - half the BMW drivers in Auckland have oerfectly functioning indicators they choose not to use - what is your problem?

(note: for those unable to determine the tone, this is a joke)

Yes, but in order for me to choose not to use it, it has to work in the first place dunnit. There's far more arseholeage factor when you've got it but dont use it.

marty
1st March 2004, 11:09
so is it fixed?

it could be the switch itself, dirtyish connections showing a zero ohm reading, but too dirty to let enough current through to run the flasher can. the switch gets heaps of moisture and crap in it, so can glug up easily enough.

some spray in electrical cleaner, then crc electrical protector works the bomb.

marty
1st March 2004, 11:11
the black box under the seat sounds like a relay - more likely for the horn or other high drain device. flasher cans are usually small cylinders - often see thru

georgedubyabush
1st March 2004, 11:14
the black box under the seat sounds like a relay - more likely for the horn or other high drain device. flasher cans are usually small cylinders - often see thru

Yes it is fixed. Replaced the squarish thing under the seat with a see through cylinder and away she went.