PDA

View Full Version : Visor Vision!

Zed
12th February 2004, 12:12
One of my pet hates when riding is the trouble I have with my helmet visor in the rain. I hate it when it fogs up (only when fully shut), especially when going slowly, and not to mention the droplets that come down on the inside of the visor (when opened slightly to clear fog) impairing my vision! :brick:

I do use a special rubber visor wipe that fits over my left hand glove index finger (this is awesome for the outside of the visor), and have also used chemicals in the past such as Rain-x to prevent fogging, etc.

One day soon I will invest in a $800-1000 Shoei or AGV helmet, which might resolve some issues, but at present I'm wearing a $350 HJC CL-14.

What are your thoughts & remedies??

Zed

duckman
12th February 2004, 12:15
I've just bout a $600 Shoei XR1000 and put a fog mouth guard on the inside of the helmut. This seems quite effective.

I don't think you need to spend $1000 to get this level fog-proofing.

I've neve tried any of the anti-fog sprays - Perhaps someone else would like to comment on those ???

James Deuce
12th February 2004, 12:21
I've got a Nolan N100 and Nolan's NFR (Nolan Fog Resistant) Pinlock system is blimmin' brilliant! It really, really works. I've ridden in heavy rain and very cold temperatures on the Desert Road in the middle of winter and had no fogging.

The N100 comes with a breathguard as well and flap under the chin that helps control airflow in the helmet.

They've just released a new Full Face series with cool graphics available as well as standard colours, the N61, and the visor comes standard with the fittings for the anti-fog insert. I don't think it will break the bank.

Jim2

cruzer
12th February 2004, 13:08
Got to agree with Jim, the Nolan never fogs!

Hitcher
12th February 2004, 13:47
Sigh... This brings back memories of winter... A large part of my problem with fogging is prescription eyewear, which can fog on their own or in addition to what's on the visor. I've tried FogCity inserts and think they're overrated -- when it's sunny you get reflection back off them and they also distort significantly what you see through the visor. The Nolan system sounds and looks good, but obviously nobody in Italy has a 65cm head!!

Hitcher
12th February 2004, 13:48
Got to agree with Jim, the Nolan never fogs!

Congrats on your first post, new guy! You obviously like cleaning spokes...

cruzer
12th February 2004, 13:54
Thanks for the welcome, I don't know that I'm happy with the "L Plate" thing :Oi:

jrandom
12th February 2004, 13:59

Clean? No, the idea is that the accumulated crud holds them together. That's why you're supposed to start out riding a new cruiser slowly, and speed up over time as the wheel spokes accumulate a protective layer.

Hence the behaviour of many Harley riders on their way into Daytona each year - they get the bike off the trailer and rub mud on it as a preparation for the mechanical stresses involved in parking a bike outside multiple bars and cafes in a single 24-hour period.

It was only with the advent of alloy wheels that the automotive industry realised the profit inherent in convincing consumers that wheels should be shiny, since most savvy riders up until then were wary of the dangerous practice of Crud Shunning.

Traditionalists such as myself, of course, still relish a thick layer of mud and goo.

oh, and welcome to the site, cruzer :p

franco
12th February 2004, 14:00
Hey bro, the l-plate thing on this site is just an indicator of the number of posts you have made. Someone else may be able to explain the graduations better, but I think you graduate to scooterboy at 30 posts, then moped rider at 60 etc. After a certain # of posts you can set your own title... :blah:

Zed
12th February 2004, 14:03
Thanks for the welcome, I don't know that I'm happy with the "L Plate" thing :Oi:
Hehe...be thankful for "L-Plate Rider" dude, because next you will be riding a "Scooter"! :buggerd:

Welcome Cruzer & very nice looking Volusia u have there!

Zed

cruzer
12th February 2004, 14:07
Thanks to all for the welcome! :baby:
Looking forward to reaching Vespa Status

Big Dog
12th February 2004, 15:28
[b][color=#008000]One day soon I will invest in a $800-1000 Shoei or AGV helmet, which might resolve some issues, but at present I'm wearing a $350 HJC CL-14.

What are your thoughts & remedies??

Zed

I have a CL12 with progrip light sensitive fog guard ($30 from Red B) Best $30 I ever spent on biking. Its got a proper gasket. The light sensitive bit wore out within a couple of months but was brilliant while it worked. In sunny whether it can come a little loose but pushes back on. 100% fogproof when attached properly!

I would recommend a sun strip to go with it otherwise it can be a bit glary around the edges.

Word of warning when it say's allow to set for 48 hours thats what it means. :done:

wildfire1
12th February 2004, 15:59
I have a Shoei RF900 witha 'Fog City' anti fog insert purchased at Motomail ($45.00), and this has been fantastic- especially at low speeds in cold weather etc. My Wife has a Nolan N82 graphic with the Anti Fog "pin lock" system, which does not fog up, but the helmet leaks in heavy rain (Yuk - makes for very unpleasant touring across the Desert Road!). :brick: :brick:

I love the Shoei, but we will be replacing the Nolan. :angry2: :ar15:
possibly with an Arai :bleh:

Motu
12th February 2004, 16:10
My Nolan never fogs either,great helmet,although I've never riden in the rain with it.

Cruzer - the L Plate status is a reflection of your riding ability...when you join this site we all go and watch you ride,in secret,then asign your status...the general consensus was you can't ride for shit,hence the L Plate - sharpen your act mate,stop looking at yourself in Bank windows and get that knee down!

Coldkiwi
12th February 2004, 16:18
oh yeah, thats one of our regular stirrers by the way Cruzer! lovely bloke I'm sure :)

welcome. I've had the pleasure of using a Shark RS2 witha fog city insert and loved it. the combination of thick visor and decent vents was awesome. That said, I don't like the look of the fog city and I'd rather get a helmet that works properly out of the box (shark because of the thick visor or Nolan with pinlock.. or get a breath/fighter pilot posuer guard)

Al
12th February 2004, 17:51
I have a black FFM VGS helmet, super airflow and fog control. I tend to ride a lot in the rain to work and and back - from Birkdale (North Shore) to east Tamaki. :niceone:

bungbung
12th February 2004, 18:47
I used to have a FFM something-or-other helemt, so much wind leakage around the visor, it never fogged. Of course it was noisy. I replaced it with a Shoei which fogs easy but is mucho quiet. I think I'd rather have less fog though :mellow:

mccool
12th February 2004, 18:56
I rate the Fog City highly. I've got one on a high end Shoei. The are delicate though, very easy to scratch even with soft cloth.

LB
12th February 2004, 19:02
I've had a Fog City on my Shoei XVR for a couple of years now (on my clear visor) and swear by it. It does distort very slightly, but you quickly get used to it. When I wear my mirror visor on a cool day I really miss the FC, but the visor is really too old to put one on - they work best on new or very nearly new visors.

The only time it didn't work 100% was one morning in mid winter, it was about zero degrees and it fogged very slightly, but not nearly as much as if I didn't have it. Apart from that one time, it's worked brilliantly.

I'm getting a new Shoei XR1000 soon, and will be getting a Fog City on both my clear and mirror visors. (I need new visors as the old ones are a slightly different fitting).

A couple of our mates have the Nolan pinlock system and have had problems with the inside bit falling off the visor, though the pins stayed there. This was on fairly new visors, not old worn ones.

What?
12th February 2004, 19:07
OK, I've used them all.
Nolan pin-lock is the best, full stop.
Fog city is next, but does cause a bit of double reflection at night. You get used to it. Get the Shoei edition it has better adhesive than the standard. cleans up easy with glass cleaner and soft cloth.
ProGrip light sensitive shield is good at not fogging, but tends to fall off, reflection at night is worse than the Fog City because it is spaced out further from the visor, and the photsensivity doesn't last long. It is also a bastard to clean.
My 2c worth (plus gst)

What?
12th February 2004, 19:09
A couple of our mates have the Nolan pinlock system and have had problems with the inside bit falling off the visor, though the pins stayed there. This was on fairly new visors, not old worn ones.
The pins are eccentric. The insert may fall out if not fitted correctly. The insert in my N100 is tighter than a scotsman in a shout.

Zed
12th February 2004, 19:41
My Nolan never fogs either,great helmet,although I've never riden in the rain with it.

Cruzer - the L Plate status is a reflection of your riding ability...when you join this site we all go and watch you ride,in secret,then asign your status...the general consensus was you can't ride for shit,hence the L Plate - sharpen your act mate,stop looking at yourself in Bank windows and get that knee down!
So the "Loose Pre Unit" is an accurate title then! :D

I wonder what status the Cincinnati Kid (Wkid_1) began on??

Zed

cruzer
13th February 2004, 08:32

Mate, my pegs, handlebars, pipes and all would drag before I could get my knee anywhere near the ground.
The "Hero Tabs" on the end of my footpegs do however show some signs of spark throwing wear.