PDA

View Full Version : sticky new brake pads

masterofpuppets
25th October 2005, 00:06
hey people.
i just put in some new brake pads in the back the other day. i puched the pistons all the way in before putting the new pads on. however, i went for a ride yesterday and even though it didnt feel like they were rubbing, they the disc was getting a bit hot...... not too hot, but it wasnt cold either. i was just wondering, will the pads dettle in soon, or should i maybe give them a bit of wet and dry to sort it out.

nick

2much
25th October 2005, 00:47
Hey nick, if it still spins freely then it shouldn't be a problem. Only thing I can think of is you may have damaged the seal/s round the piston/s which is stopping it from retracting fully?

XTC
25th October 2005, 07:13
Discs get hot.... Its what they do.

bugjuice
25th October 2005, 08:26
as long as everything was put back together in the right order etc, then it'll take about 50 odd k's of light braking, then another 50 of medium braking, then you can start to use them how you normally would - on average. Some pads like to be broken in differently than others. As long as the pad/piston is still retracting, then it should be fine, just has to scub up, which it will do eventually, just go steady until it does.

You refitted any retention springs or shims etc?

masterofpuppets
25th October 2005, 10:38
cheers for all the help guys. i guess i will just have to keep a close eye on them. the piston seals seemed fine. i also only replace the pads not the other little bits such as the anti rattle springy thing, but i gave everything a good clean and made sure it was put in properly.

bugjuice
25th October 2005, 10:40
as long as everything but the old pads went back in as they came out, then it should be fine. Just needs a bit of time to bed in

Gixxer 4 ever
25th October 2005, 11:07
Watch them. Did the pistons go back easily? If no then the piston cup could have some rust of other stuff on it and it is not moving to freely in the calliper. If that is the case you need to strip clean and replace the seals. You really need to have some experience in doing them. But you can do it yourself if you have time and some experience. Some people find it hard to bleed brakes etc. It is my opinion that even new pads should not heat the disk. Sure when you are using them they will but when you are riding with out them the disk should be cool.