PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: Wellington riders: how about Sunday?

LB
12th February 2004, 19:30
The weather forecast for Sunday is looking a bit better now we're up to Thursday PM.

Anyone interested in meeting at Caltex Rimutaka (on SH2, top end of Upper Hutt) at 8.30am for a bit of a ride and a bite to eat in Martinborough?

If the weather turns to real crap we'll turn up in the car (yeah yeah, I know, I'm a girl.....) and could have brekkie in U/Hutt with anyone brave enough to turn up.

Pickle
12th February 2004, 20:26
Lynda 8.30am on a Sunday morning does not exist :bash: but there are times I have to work, so maybe it does?
Do you know anywhere else to go besides Martinborough and the Flying Fish or do you have shares in this business :eyepoke: Will check the weather and might be there

Blink
12th February 2004, 21:09
hey lynda,

sounds good, if its fine Mr Melon and I will probably be there :)

LB
13th February 2004, 04:42
Lynda 8.30am on a Sunday morning does not exist :bash: but there are times I have to work, so maybe it does?
Do you know anywhere else to go besides Martinborough and the Flying Fish or do you have shares in this business :eyepoke: Will check the weather and might be there
I'm a boring old fart so go to bed early and am up early rearing to go. I have been known to wake Hamish at 4.30am and say "it's going to be a lovely sunny day today, let's ride up to New Plymouth for breakfast".

I should get commission from the Fish for all the business I take there!

merv
13th February 2004, 07:14
I already have two offers, one to do the trail ride at Terawhiti Station and the other is the Ulysses ride to Apiti. I'll probably do the Apiti one.

MrMelon
13th February 2004, 08:16
8:30am's a bit harsh, but I'll come along if the weather's up to it :D

bungbung
13th February 2004, 08:45
Yip, weather on the day and all that

franco
13th February 2004, 14:54
yep, if the weather looks great :sunny: then I'll throw the miss on the back and come up. Gotta take it easy tho, still breaking my new baby in...the bike not the miss... :niceone:

Hitcher
13th February 2004, 15:18
8:30am on a Sunday (sharp intake of breath, look of anguish)?? Mrs H has to be at work at about 1:00pm this Sunday (I hope all of you Dominion Post readers are grateful) so that sort of carves into time available for excursions.

But if anybody wants to go for a fang over the hill tonight for a burger/pizza, I may well be a starter (Zrex is now road-legal, although still chewed).

LB
13th February 2004, 16:03
8:30am on a Sunday (sharp intake of breath, look of anguish)?? Mrs H has to be at work at about 1:00pm this Sunday (I hope all of you Dominion Post readers are grateful) so that sort of carves into time available for excursions.

But if anybody wants to go for a fang over the hill tonight for a burger/pizza, I may well be a starter (Zrex is now road-legal, although still chewed).
Glad to hear you're back on the road, was talking about you with Merv at lunchtime and we wondered how the bike was coming on.

Can't do tonight, got a work dinner.

I am totally grateful to Mrs H for her input into the Dom Post.....I will look at it on Monday with renewed eyes. I wish she could do it by laptop from the Flying Fish. :(

k14
13th February 2004, 21:07
Ohh, i am riding down to wellington from new plymouth on sunday. Had planned to leave here at around 10. So i would be keen to meet some of you guys if you are going for a ride up northish somewhere. I dont mind having to take a semi detour.

Let me know if you want to meet up.

merv
13th February 2004, 21:41
Mr Melon and Blink I presume that was you two cruising back on the Hutt Motorway about 8.30pm tonight?

Skunk
13th February 2004, 22:32
I could do with getting out of the house.

Hang on... 8.30AM!?! What sort of time is that? :shit:

Might make it; Doug, knock on the door on your way past will you? :)

(And what's this 636 as YOUR bike eh?)

Blink
13th February 2004, 23:00
Mr Melon and Blink I presume that was you two cruising back on the Hutt Motorway about 8.30pm tonight?

yup sure was :)

was that you behind us and then turned off at haywoods ?

was a good blat over the rimutaka's tonight, very enjoyable!

whoever was riding that ducati 999 was going seriously fast... was amazing sound all the way down the valley :)

merv
14th February 2004, 08:19
yup sure was :)

was that you behind us and then turned off at haywoods ?
:)

Nup that was some guy on an RF900, I was behind you and him in the car - had to run my daughter to roller hockey and back complete with bags of gear and bloody great 2m long stick and stuff like that.

Pickle
14th February 2004, 08:20
I could do with getting out of the house.

Have you finished doing renovations? and what about your sore hand?

Hang on... 8.30AM!?! What sort of time is that? :shit:

Have to agree with you here 8.30am????

Might make it; Doug, knock on the door on your way past will you? :)

Yea OK

(And what's this 636 as YOUR bike eh?)

Oh well it could be a KLR250 or even a Yam CT1

LB
14th February 2004, 08:21
whoever was riding that ducati 999 was going seriously fast... was amazing sound all the way down the valley :)
Chance are that was Dion, who had his piccie in the Dom Post a week or so ago, doing a burnout.

LB
14th February 2004, 08:24
Ohh, i am riding down to wellington from new plymouth on sunday. Had planned to leave here at around 10. So i would be keen to meet some of you guys if you are going for a ride up northish somewhere. I dont mind having to take a semi detour.

Let me know if you want to meet up.
Might be a bit difficult, as I guess you'll be coming down SH1?

For a nicer ride if it's fine you could come over the Pahiatua Track and down through the Wairarapa. Maybe you could give me your mobile by PM and I could let you know where we are going to be around 1.30pm (my guess at around what time you'd be in the Martinborough vicinity). Anyone else got any suggestions for rendevous-ing? I'm not very good with logisitics.

LB
14th February 2004, 08:52
Latest forecast on Stuff for Sunday is for periods of rain. Southerlies rising to gale.

If it is correct, I'm not keen on riding!

If it's really shit, we'll be at McDonalds in Upper Hutt, at the McCafe, around 8.45am.

We'll go to Caltex first to see if there's anyone there.

Of course, if the forecast is wrong, will be at Caltex on my Duc at 8.30am.

k14
14th February 2004, 09:16
Yip, and 80kph winds. So looks like i will be having a great ride down :rolleyes:

Don't worry about me. If the weather is shit, i wont be feeling like taking a detour. Cheers anyway.

Deano
14th February 2004, 10:08
is anyone out there getting some practice in for the Gladstone Cliffhanger - I have never been on that road, so would like to meet up with some 'locals', or guys (or gals) with some track knowledge to perhaps follow up there a few times (if I can keep up haha)

Anyone heading there this weekend ?

MrMelon
14th February 2004, 10:11

Yep that was us.

It's so good to be back on the bikes again :D

We had swapped bikes when you saw us though.

Skunk
14th February 2004, 17:39
Well the weathers turned to crap... :argh:

Guess I'll be 'in the house' again :wacko:

LB
14th February 2004, 19:08
Yep, the weather's crap. I can't see me being out on my bike, even if the forecast is only half right!

Will still be at the McDonald's McCafe in Upper Hutt just after 8.30am if anyone wants to join us for brekkie. Hamish and I will be wearing some sort of motorcycle t-shirt (just so you can recognise us!)

Deano: do you know where to go? Tomorrow may not be the best weather for it, but over to you. There's a map on the website, which is

http://www.cdd.co.nz/hillclimb.htm

LB
14th February 2004, 19:10
is anyone out there getting some practice in for the Gladstone Cliffhanger - I have never been on that road, so would like to meet up with some 'locals', or guys (or gals) with some track knowledge to perhaps follow up there a few times (if I can keep up haha)

Anyone heading there this weekend ?
If you see a guy on a GSXR1000 with a purple Bullson jacket, don't try to keep up with him. That's Tony Sampson from Masterton, who won it last year and came second the previous year by about 0.01 of a second. He's fast.

Deano
14th February 2004, 19:18
If you see a guy on a GSXR1000 with a purple Bullson jacket, don't try to keep up with him. That's Tony Sampson from Masterton, who won it last year and came second the previous year by about 0.01 of a second. He's fast.

Yes, 182kph average speed sounds pretty darn fast.

I have the map cheers, but the weather is likely to be crap so probably a no goer.

What happened to summer this year ??? Think I might buy a boat...

Blink
15th February 2004, 10:35
/wakes up at 7:30

/looks out window

.....goes back to bed

grr at weather :cold:

Hitcher
15th February 2004, 12:28
Well, what about this weather then?? As an avid "rain-gauger" I can report that as at 8:00am this morning, we have recorded almost exactly one third of our average annual rainfall. Not bad for week 7...

But it was fine on Friday night and, complete with newly-installed front right indicator, I took the Zrex for a tentative run to the top of the 'takas. There I had the priviledge of meeting for the first time an immaculately-attired Mr Jim2 who was on his way to Castlepoint for the weekend. I hope your weekend went well Jim. Home via the Haywards and Grays Road.

Saturday, despite the forecast, dawned fine. Mrs H informed me that the forecast for the Wairarapa was fine, so we jumped into our best riding kit, dragged the covers off the kids and away we went.

It was heap windy over the 'takas -- a westerly and the downhill run to Featherston was about the worst we've encountered. Some clown on a black Buell (wearing, would you believe, one of those stockman's coats) nearly killed himself trying to overtake a big Linfox rig on an blind lefthander just before the first passing lane on the way up. He managed to hold the thing up but got the arse very fishtailey under braking.

We were the only bikers at the Flying Fish, where it was hot and sunny. Some cycling club had an event organised and the participants were endlessly circling the Martinborough square, either waiting for a "start" signal, or their pensions, whichever came first. There's something about middle-aged men and lycra...

We then took the usual back road to Masterton via Gladstone which we had to ourselves. The weather south looked uninviting and the wind was building, so we decided to go with Plan B and go home via Alfredton, Pahiatua and Palmerston North. The closer we got to Pahiatua the worse the wind got. Trees down across the road -- the whole 7.5m. I hit one heart-stopping gust on a sharpish righthander just prior to Pahiatua. It was black and obviously raining over the Pahiatua track. Mrs H opted to phone a friend in Palmerston North for a forecast. After asking the audience (a wedding party) I opted for 50:50 and decided that the Manawatu Gorge was our best bet.

From Palmerston North, looking away to the south, it was black as midnight in the bowels of a polled Angus. So we stopped at ANZA and I replaced my mauled overtrousers with some new water-repellent ones.

Very windy again to Levin. Then dear readers, about 150m south of the Kimberley turnoff, what did we strike but the tailback from the Otaki roundabout!! All of the cagers were out riding the double-yellow so we had no option but to go down the left. Even so, it took us close on two hours to get home from Levin. Unbelieveable!!

We stopped at McKays Crossing to don our wets and just as well. The heavens opened shortly afterwards. At least it wasn't cold and the wind had stopped by then as well. It was good to get home and our various indoor drying racks are now laden with apparel and luggage. None-the-less a great Valentine's day was had...

k14
15th February 2004, 12:59
Well, i didnt quite get to wellington but if it is as bad as taranaki then i am glad i turned back.

Got blown onto the grass verge doing around 70kph just south of hawera and took that as a sign of things to come. So i turned around. Completly soaked to the bone and freezing my nuts off. Changed the ferry from tomorrow to tuesday, so will have part 2 tomorrow (hopefully).

Hitcher
15th February 2004, 13:04
Well, i didnt quite get to wellington but if it is as bad as taranaki then i am glad i turned back.

Got blown onto the grass verge doing around 70kph just south of hawera and took that as a sign of things to come. So i turned around. Completly soaked to the bone and freezing my nuts off. Changed the ferry from tomorrow to tuesday, so will have part 2 tomorrow (hopefully).

Smart move mate. I hope the weather improves tomorrow (proably will, seeing's it's Monday... Sigh)

LB
15th February 2004, 13:08
We went to Caltex Rimutaka at 8.30am, and (not surprisingly!) no-one was there. Spent a relaxing hour at the McCafe in Upper Hutt catching up with the crap in the Sunday papers (no offence intended to Mrs Hitcher ;) ) What a shit of a day weather-wise. I couldn't have picked a worse day for a run if I'd tried!!

Hitcher and Mrs Hitcher: Thanks for the write-up. I'm very glad I decided to flag riding yesterday, I did think about it for some 30 seconds during one of the brief appearances of the sun, but decided it wasn't really a good idea.

K14: I'd wondered how you were getting on. Hope you and the bike were unscathed after your little incident. I'm not sure that tomorrow's forecast is much better, but good on you for making that decision to turn back.

Hitcher
15th February 2004, 13:10
Spent a relaxing hour at the McCafe in Upper Hutt catching up with the crap in the Sunday papers (no offence intended to Mrs Hitcher ;)

Mrs H would be the first to agree with you Lynda, but then she doesn't do the SST!

k14
15th February 2004, 13:11
Yip, managed to keep it up, but i have no idea how. Nice and warm now :D

Just have to try and dry out my leathers/helmet/gloves before tomorrow. Might consider some wet weather gear in the near future.

LB
15th February 2004, 13:14
Yip, managed to keep it up, but i have no idea how. Nice and warm now :D

Just have to try and dry out my leathers/helmet/gloves before tomorrow. Might consider some wet weather gear in the near future.
How about a quick trip to the Warehouse in N/Plymouth first thing tomorrow, to get a $50 set of yellow PVC stuff before your trip?

How far South are you planning on going?

k14
15th February 2004, 13:23
Yeah, might not be a bad idea.

I am going back to uni at christchurch. I live in new plymouth and have been here for the holidays.

Lets hope tomorrow is alot better.

LB
16th February 2004, 04:39
Yeah, might not be a bad idea.

I am going back to uni at christchurch. I live in new plymouth and have been here for the holidays.

Lets hope tomorrow is alot better.
Hmm. 5.45am and it's pissing down and windy as shit here. Forecast is for more heavy rain and 150kph winds here today (and not a lot better between here and N/Plymouth).

Safe travelling, let us know when you get down south.

Don't forget the Sound of Thunder meeting is on at Ruapuna the last w/end in Feb.

Deano
16th February 2004, 07:16
Smart move mate. I hope the weather improves tomorrow (proably will, seeing's it's Monday... Sigh)

Yep, Monday's here and its a loverly day !! :crazy:

But seriously, civil emergency, more roads closed than open here in Lower Hutt. We could become the largest lake in NZ if this keeps up.

georgedubyabush
16th February 2004, 07:58
My brother went back down to dunedin a couple of weeks ago, and some truck had poored out diesel continuously for about 20kms between picton and kaikoura. Cops were there warning people. He was in his car but even in that over 30kms/hr spun the back wheels. Hope no bikes met it. Couple of campervans and a truck had slid off the road. He also wasted his exhaust on a rock that had tumbled down in the rain.

k14
16th February 2004, 09:13
Yip, the plan was to leave at around 12 today, but i am considering changing the crossing again. This is starting to piss me off.

The weather isnt too bad in new plymouth at the moment. But it is still a little gusty. Weather channel says that wellington has 80kph winds at the moment. SH3 is shut between bulls and wanganui and there are some other closures.

Always happens to me. I bet if i had of booked for next week, this would have waited till then :angry2:

k14
16th February 2004, 10:49
Well, the weather looks semi alright here now. So i am going to leave here around 1. Wish me luck :niceone:

riffer
16th February 2004, 12:35
Got turned back at Whakatiki St turnoff as River Road was closed.

Went down Fergusson Drive and got turned back at Silverstream.

Its now 1.40 pm and road to Welly has just opened. But road home again is still closed.

Bugger it - I'm staying home today... :thud:

k14
17th February 2004, 10:28
Think i should have stayed home aswell.

That was a bit of an adventure. Got to wanganui yesterday at around 3 and the road was closed. So i crashed at a mates house for the night after being told the road will re-open at midnight. Yeah right. Get up at 5:30 this morning to catch the 9:30 ferry, road still closed. Cancel ferry and get refund. Rode back to new plymouth this morning, a really good ride NOT. Now i am flying down to uni at 5 this evening.

So that means i will be without my bike for 8 weeks :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: