PDA

View Full Version : Some basic info for wannabe mx'er

Smee
25th October 2005, 11:02
Hi guys, my first post here although i've been lurking for the last year - this is a great place for info!

I just have a couple of simple questions for the people in the know. I was brought up on a farm so spent years hooning round on an old xr250 but left about 15 years ago. Last year I nearly bought a road-legal ttr250 but went for my cbr250rr instead with the idea of getting my full bike license. I was told road-legal dirt-bikes dont make GOOD road bikes or GOOD dirt bikes.
So, after spending a day last weekend screaming around on a kx125 I now want both!

What I would like to know is, how big a difference is their between 2-stroke and 4-stroke bikes (apart from the power band), is their much difference between enduro and mx bikes. And lastly, I was really surprised by the 125's power and nimbleness, but should I perhaps go for a 250? I don't want to get bored and want to upgrade in 6 months time and I have spent years on the farm tearing up the paddocks on the xr250 (although it was hardly a grunter!).

Thanks guys for any advice.

cheese
25th October 2005, 13:26
Hey dude!

I went through the same issues. I ended up with a 250 MX'r. Why??

New 4 strokes are great, but just as much maintainence as a 2 stroke, so I went for a two. So the first question is, can you change a piston etc by yourself? if so you'll have no probs with a 2 stroke. with a new 4 stroke you have to doa pisont about ever 80 - 100 hours with a 2 it's about every 50 - 70.

Next is how big are you? I'm 85kg, so I got a 250, plus with a 125, you'll spend all day revving the shit out of it. so I though, go for a 250 and not spend all day on full throttle.

Also how much do you have to spend and where are you in Auckland?

I got a bike only 3 months ago. It was sold to me as a 98, found out it was a 96, then I've spent well over a grand on fixing it up. Bike cost me $2,600 and then my riding gear was about $700, so it got up in price very quickly. So my advice would be to either buy form a shop, or have the bike you look at checked by a shop. it will have you shitloads in the long run. If you are on the shore, go see the boys at Spectrum. they are really good and will give you a good deal.

Also make sure that first on your shopping list is Boots, a helmet, and gloves. and don't get the oneil boots, they are shithouse. The buckles will break in a few months of riding.

See you at wood hill!!!

Brian d marge
25th October 2005, 13:44
As was said below ...there is a World of difference between hooning around in a padock and facing the whoop section for the umpteenth time ,,,with a kamakazi pilot up yer jacksea
Another thingget a good back protector as you will be eating a lot of drt....

Lastly a full on MX you will get nowhere near the bikes limit ,,and the power delivery can be difficult to deal with if you are new
an Enduro bike the power delivery is softer ,,,but they tend to be heavier ,,,( so what are your main riding places ..and what is your riding style ...

go do it it loads of fun ,,,,,,,,,

Stephen

Cary
25th October 2005, 15:01
GET A WR250F

Best all rounder on the market.

F5 Dave
25th October 2005, 16:05
Depends where you want to ride, if you want to race MX then an MX bike is the way to go. For a gumby like me a 250MX bike is quite lethal power & height wise for spooning around on organised trail rides which can be quite easy & flowing or can get real tricky esp if it has rained.

A mate sold his RM250 for this reason. Great out in the open but the 8th time you have stalled it in a deep boggy area & can barely raise the energy to kick it over again it wears thin. To be honest taller guys have it much easier trying to start things. Skill & fitness help as well I am told. Meh.

For trail riding the most sensible choice has got to be the KDX200 (or 220).

Nice heavy flywheel so hard to stall, easy power, but if you want more top end hold the throttle open & rev the sucker + dead easy to start. + they are reliable & cheap. Search web for Just kdx site for a bunch of info.

laRIKin
25th October 2005, 17:35
I was told road-legal dirt-bikes dont make GOOD road bikes or GOOD dirt bikes.

To me that is to broad a comment to make as some top dirt bikes are very good off road and can be regoed.
Take for example lot of the Euro, Enduro bikes can be regoed.
They may not be the best road bike, but they are one hell of a dirt bike.

I think that you may find a 125cc MX bike limiting and will get bored with it and they have higher maintenance as you ring the living hell out of them to get any where.

And a MX 250 a bit much, unless you are going to give your self time to get use to it.

A Enduro bikes, are a nice all round bike with softer suspension and power with a boarder power band and are still fast.
And some have the electric start, lights good for that later ride home in winter and on coming 4X4's can see you and they have a side stand, so you do not have to find a tree or lay your bike on it's side.

Two or four stroke? That's down to you. Pick a favour YOU like.
Some like both, some do not.

More to the point, how much are you going to spend?
And what sort of riding do you want to do now?
And do you prefer 2 or 4 stroke?
Do you like lots of power?

Rik

Smee
25th October 2005, 18:38
Thanks for the replies guys.

Heres what I had kinda already decided - and it seems you guys have agreed with me. I am 30 years old, 70 kgs, and I intend to spend around $5 - 6000 on the bike (I figure another $1000 on a decent helmet, safety gear etc). I was thinking along the lines of selling my cbr for a road-legal 4 stroke enduro, and I like blue so am leaning towards the wr250 (is this a good enough reason for going Yamaha?). The only road riding it will be used for will be riding to the track / trails and possibly the VERY odd comute to work (which is all I use my current bike for anyway).

Although my profile says I'm in Auckland, early next year I intend moving down to Hastings / Napier, so I wont be buying anything till then.

Regarding the comment I made about road-legal dirt bikes not being good at off-road or on-road, what I meant was most bikes tend to be excellent at one or the other and not both. While an XR, DR or TT-R are probably great all rounders, they arn't great at either off or on road. Hope that makes sense :)

And one last question - how long do knobbly tyres last on the road? Not very long I assume.

Thanks heaps for the help.
Scott.

Motu
25th October 2005, 19:20
The perfect road legal dirt bike is the bane of us dualsporters,you just cant really do it - unless you are so damn big a KTM 640 feels like a KX125.That why I have two,one for more road and one for more off road.To give you an idea of performance differences - 125 2 strokes race in the same class as 250 4 strokes,in the US at least,so that's how fast your KX125 is compared to a YZ250F,the 250 smokers race against the 450 thumpers,a 500 pinger is practicaly unriderble,250s run rings around them.A WR250F maybe a good choice,they have the best reputation of the modern 4 strokes,and you can get them road legal,but I wouldn't want to go too far.

cheese
25th October 2005, 20:38
Arg why Napier!! I just moved out of there!! drive me mental!! To slow!!!!

Anyway, I'd go for a XR 400 maybe or something similar... ok on the road, great in teh dirt.

as for your tyres, knobs are pretty shithouse on teh road. if you are going to do a bit of road riding, get a second set of rims. makes life really easy!

Smee
26th October 2005, 07:49
Arg why Napier!! I just moved out of there!! drive me mental!! To slow!!!!

Anyway, I'd go for a XR 400 maybe or something similar... ok on the road, great in teh dirt.

as for your tyres, knobs are pretty shithouse on teh road. if you are going to do a bit of road riding, get a second set of rims. makes life really easy!

Ha! I gotta get out of Auckland - I'm one of the guys Air NZ are about to make redundant, and I've family and freinds down there. And I'm sick of the rat race here.

F5 Dave
26th October 2005, 08:35
Oh that bites, good luck with the move etc.

Knobblies on the road. Well the more you ride in the dirt the more you start to crave & look forward to the first few rides on that new tire with the sharp edges. I sharpen them a couple of times, but ultimately when the edge goes so does a lot of the traction.

Riding on tarmac of course roots the edges quick smart. Some knobblies & ½ way tires last quite will on the road. Buuut get them in some sloppy conditions & they are F all use.

cheese
26th October 2005, 09:09
Sorry to hear about Air NZ job. that is pretty shit of them really.

I grew up in Napier. Funny place. I'd go live in Hastings if I had my time again. Or maybe on the hill.....

Anyway the river down there is not too bad. there is some good tracks.

laRIKin
26th October 2005, 20:42
Thanks for the replies guys.

Heres what I had kinda already decided - and it seems you guys have agreed with me. I am 30 years old, 70 kgs, and I intend to spend around $5 - 6000 on the bike (I figure another $1000 on a decent helmet, safety gear etc).........................................

And one last question - how long do knobbly tyres last on the road? Not very long I assume.

Thanks heaps for the help.
Scott.

You may find you may spend more on safety gear, but it would be a good start.
Knobbly on the road can vibrate and loss there edges, but do last awhile.
It is all down to what tire you pick or like.
But will not be race fit, but still good enough to get you around off road.
They can walk around corners, but I'm a sick puppy and like that feeling.
The main danger is in emergence braking :pinch:

Rik

crazyxr250rider
29th October 2005, 13:04
AC10.............

NordieBoy
29th October 2005, 19:50
and don't get the oneil boots, they are shithouse. The buckles will break in a few months of riding.

5 years with my O'Neal's now and not a problem.

crazyxr250rider
30th October 2005, 15:35
RMX250?...............

Smee
31st October 2005, 11:01
Cheers for the advice guys - I'm going for a KDX200, I figure its a pretty good machine to begin on from what ive read, and at $7000 brand new its pretty hard to beat.

Garvani
3rd November 2005, 09:42
Ive posted this in another thread but no one has answered me..
Thinking about getting a bike, not to sure about what one but im learning..
But the question i have is on maintence, how much $$ do these things cost to maintain!! Im looking at getting around a 2002 model MX'r, not sure on 2 or 4 stroke, thats why im here.. It will only be used for trail riding, and the odd club day so no hard out racing etc..
So you have to change the pistons and rings about every 50-90 hours depending on the bike and stroke.. how much does this cost!!? im a complete tool so i cant do it myself... Also need to know about how often u change the oil etc etc.. then theres rebuilds, i hear people throwing that word around quite often, i no they cost a good $1000+, after how many hours are you likely going to need to rebuild??
Basically if someone could just break down the costs of owning/maintaing a modern mxer that would be great!! obviously the ticket price is just the starting point with these.... and i learnt hard with my gsxr250rr, that $%#@! put me in the poorhouse...

Thanks to anyone that can answer these!!

Mattyc
8th November 2005, 17:58
Cheers for the advice guys - I'm going for a KDX200, I figure its a pretty good machine to begin on from what ive read, and at $7000 brand new its pretty hard to beat.

Fantastic choice - ive owned three kdx's the late models are a delight to ride, in tight bush trails they are a lot easier to ride faster than a 250 mx bike, what they lack in power they make up for in balance and handling, not all that good for big jumps, as the forks arent really valved for them factory, but still a real good all round bike, I have a mate with an 05 kdx, when hes on it he can whoop my on my ktm in the bush, when we swap bikes its role reversal, i find it doesnt take as much rider input at the mx bike, and you dont get tired as quick

He says something like - YOU ride the bike - more than the bike riding you, or something like that... Good choice man

cowpoos
9th November 2005, 12:09

check out a KLX300r to...I'm on my second...and I do 10"s of thousands of KM's a year on it...reliable as hell...light 106kgs...good on gas...good on fun...they have a better chassis than kdx200 and a easyer to ride power curve...they are around 7k brand new too...I swear by the things :2thumbsup

Mattyc
9th November 2005, 15:05
The Klx is a nice bike, same guy who i know with the 05kdx had one, they are a nice bike. but a little top heavy, Depends on what you are going to use it for i guess, I am a big 2 - stroke fan

In the chassis they are very similar, rake is the same,, the wheelbase is exactly the same , the klx has less ground clearance, is about 5-6 kgs heavier overall, the kdx has a slightly lower seat height, the KLX is also wider overall.

Theres a few factors to consider also - Rebuilds , when the time comes a 2 strok will be cheaper and easier to rebuild, if you have a mechanical background you can do this yourself, a 4 stroke on other hands has a lot more moving parts in the engine, thus more to wear out and replace at a higher cost

cowpoos
9th November 2005, 21:00
The Klx is a nice bike, same guy who i know with the 05kdx had one, they are a nice bike. but a little top heavy, Depends on what you are going to use it for i guess, I am a big 2 - stroke fan

In the chassis they are very similar, rake is the same,, the wheelbase is exactly the same , the klx has less ground clearance, is about 5-6 kgs heavier overall, the kdx has a slightly lower seat height, the KLX is also wider overall.

Theres a few factors to consider also - Rebuilds , when the time comes a 2 strok will be cheaper and easier to rebuild, if you have a mechanical background you can do this yourself, a 4 stroke on other hands has a lot more moving parts in the engine, thus more to wear out and replace at a higher cost

errr....my last klx300 would have done 50-60,000km and didn't use a drop of oil....the motor was still sweet when it was traded....never had anything done to it except oil,filter,fork seals,air cleaner and a couple of headlight bulbs...kicked over second kick always...first kick most of the time...

very cheap bike to run....

Mattyc
10th November 2005, 12:07
errr....my last klx300 would have done 50-60,000km and didn't use a drop of oil....the motor was still sweet when it was traded....never had anything done to it except oil,filter,fork seals,air cleaner and a couple of headlight bulbs...kicked over second kick always...first kick most of the time...

very cheap bike to run....

Yo Cowspoos im assuming this was road use ? , not really hard on the bike, but yours is a good testament for KLX's

I thought this guy had decided to get both a road bike and a dirt bike ?

If you are going dual purpose id go the KLX if going offroad only id go the KDX