PDA

View Full Version : Riding on the beach?

umka
25th October 2005, 13:57
well went out for a ride at himatangia beach near [palmerston north] and what do u know the police were out handing out sheet of paper saying we have to register our dirt bikes :argh: coz they are going to start fining people if there bikes are not reg'ed.

there were so many people out and it is going to be a pitty to see them all stop riding coz we need reg.

my question is how do we do it coz i ride a kx125 ie no lights or is there a way round. i really ride in the forest and dunes so is it fine to unload the bikes and push into the forest\dunes?

Cary
25th October 2005, 15:07
There is no way to reg a KX125.

The only bikes that can be are WR's KLX's KTM EXC's etc that have all the running gear. No MX bike can be.

Most beachs are considered h'ways (ones that you can get a vehicle onto) re the reg/wof requirement.

If the cops want to and do catch you they could do you for, no WOF, no REG and being real bastards, no licence, i'd take heed of the warning <_<

froggyfrenchman
25th October 2005, 15:13
As above, for years now most beaches and river roads have been treated as public roads, so all the rules of the road aply. IE must wear healmet and have licence and reg/wof.
last newyears there was this prick cop givn fines to all people on the beach riding quads. I just laughed at him, as i had my gear on, was on a road legal bike and even had my licence on me, Just to piss him off, i then rode off the beach onto the road and rode home the long way on tarseal.

WRT
25th October 2005, 15:14
Never thought of it like that, I knew they treated the beaches as highway/open road, and that they therefore theoretically have a speed limit, but never occured to me about WOF/Rego and that the police would actually patrol it.

Quite often head down onto the beach up at woodhill, that would suck to get a ticket!

des_picable
25th October 2005, 15:20
A bit anal and controlling in my opinion .

Firefight
25th October 2005, 15:30
Quite often head down onto the beach up at woodhill, that would suck to get a ticket!

I worked at Woodhill bike park for about 5 years, only ever saw cops checking regos once, that was just after the last fatal roll over,(a 4x4 cage) however in the case of woodhill much better to be at the park if you breakdown or have an accident. the wardens will tow your bike back with a 4x4 quad, have the medical gear to sort you out till they can organise for one of robomedics mates to come out in the ambo and cart you away.

these regs are enforced more vigorously at karioitahi beach(just west of Waiuku) not sure about other areas of the country.

F/F

WRT
25th October 2005, 15:33
Thanks for that FireFight.

We normally head down onto the beach at least once when we are up there, for a bit of a fang, or to swap bikes (normally only let others ride my bike on the beach rather than in the trails, I figure there is only so much damage they can do to it down there!).

DirtMad
25th October 2005, 15:43
Hmm, so I guess in the powerband in top ,zooming past 4wd vehicles , on muriwai was not a good thing to do... in more ways than one :mellow:

umka
25th October 2005, 15:50
just for intrests sake went to vtnz and spoke to them. they said can get it reg'ed no problem cost $96 which will give me plates too $30ish per year after and i will be able to ride on the beach as much as i want.

Originally Posted by Cary

There is no way to reg a KX125. guess there is a way after all :kick:

ktulu
25th October 2005, 16:04
these regs are enforced more vigorously at karioitahi beach(just west of Waiuku) not sure about other areas of the country.

F/F

Interesting point there Firefight, I guess with all of the horses they have out on that beach (so I have heard, have never been there myself)

I have a house up in pollok on the awhitu peninsula which is a few minutes down the road from the only other publicly accessable west coast beach there (hamiltons gap) and whenever I go down there I am pretty much the only person there and have often thought of getting down there on a bike and heading up or down the side of the peninsula, apparently its quite possible to get a bloody big distance on a low tide. And best of all absolutely fucking no one around, just the way I like it when I'm on a bike

Motu
25th October 2005, 16:10
Sure you can reg it - but you can't Wof it,so you can't make it street legal...so no allowd on the beach.Kariotahi always seems pretty relaxed,people tow beach buggies down and quads are common,but they are tightening up because kids take stolen cars down,wreck and burn them....I've seen them come back to the car park obviously having been rolled - so,more rules and regs applied because others don't give a shit.

Firefight
25th October 2005, 16:13
Interesting point there Firefight, I guess with all of the horses they have out on that beach (so I have heard, have never been there myself)

My Mrs and I used to ride it all the time, we could get right down to Port Waikato,(well the other side of it) bloody good ride, never used to be problem with the horsey people but in the end there were complaints about riders buzzing the race horses and trail bikes sneaking in to the forest at the western end of the beach , so they started to enforce it a bit more .

F/F

Hoon
25th October 2005, 16:29
Sure you can reg it - but you can't Wof it,

I thought you have to have a valid WOF before you can apply for a rego?...big pain as I have to get my race bike all WOF'd if I want to keep my rego up to date.

umka
25th October 2005, 21:49
i was told by the people at vtnz i will need to get a exempt class B so no wof required. just go in give them money :crybaby: they give u plates. unfortunately can not be ridden on the rode though but that was not the intension (dont want to have to buy new tyre's each ride).

Ixion
25th October 2005, 22:00
Exempt B IIRC is for farmers moving from one paddock to another, stuff like that. Nasty cop isn't going to believe beach qualifies. And he'll still want to see WOF.

Posh Tourer :P
25th October 2005, 22:59
I thought you have to have a valid WOF before you can apply for a rego?...big pain as I have to get my race bike all WOF'd if I want to keep my rego up to date.

why not just declare it off the road? Get an X years exemption?

VasalineWarrior
25th October 2005, 23:41
Beaches are legally state highways guys, so that means licence, rego and wof. I've been nicked for this at Otaki beach. Thing is, if your on a kx 125 with no plates who says you have to stop? If you arent doing wheelies past toddlers and grandmas I reckon the cops should use a bit of discretion, its not exactly a felony to have fun any more is it?

spudchucka
26th October 2005, 00:02
i was told by the people at vtnz i will need to get a exempt class B so no wof required. just go in give them money :crybaby: they give u plates. unfortunately can not be ridden on the rode though but that was not the intension (dont want to have to buy new tyre's each ride).
The beach is a road.

Ixion
26th October 2005, 00:28
What is the speed limit on a beach ?

Racey Rider
26th October 2005, 07:42
And are they also going to 'do' us for 'loss of traction'! :argh:

NordieBoy
26th October 2005, 08:33
Does the KR have the power for "loss of traction" on a beach?
Or are you talking about locking the brakes up :D

sAsLEX
26th October 2005, 08:58
The beach is a road.

its pretty poorly maintained all that slippery sand! hell one of those sprot bikes could fall on it and go after the council in court!

Ixion
26th October 2005, 09:03
Not to mention that it seems to be flooded half the time.

Could they do you for failing to keep left (of what?). Or failing to drive in a lane?
I suppose the next thing will be traffic lights

Ixion
26th October 2005, 09:06
..If you arent doing wheelies past toddlers and grandmas I reckon the cops should use a bit of discretion, its not exactly a felony to have fun any more is it?

It most certainly is ! Far more serious offence than such misdemeanours as murder or rape. There'll be a squad of Robbies finest around any moment to take you away. All of them willing to swear that you were doing 180kph on your Raleigh 20

Cary
26th October 2005, 13:48
Sure you can reg it - but you can't Wof it,so you can't make it street legal...so no allowd on the beach.

Thankyou Motu , umka You were saying.................. <_<

umka
26th October 2005, 16:42
the ltnz said i must get the exemption and then i can ride on the beach even though it is a road. with the exemption u pay a yearly reg but no wof coz u are not using it as a sports road going bike like a zxr. u can not ride around town but u can go on the beach :calm:

MSBOND
27th August 2014, 10:06
Hey guys,
I went for a blat on my... wait for it... horse down Karioitahi beach on Sunday. The were oodles of motorbikes and quads etc. It was great. No police in sight. If its true and you can get a reg for $30/year thats awesome! I have partners, brothers and friends who would love to ride the dunes but fear getting a ticket.
Check out my vid I made, bikes at around 50seconds in, quads a further 20 odd seconds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpiacHoUxE&feature=share

motor_mayhem
27th August 2014, 15:54
Good to hear they're focusing on the important stuff and not wasting time on what-seems-to-be-nearly-weekly bikes stolen

apex
29th August 2014, 19:57
Been to Kariotahi 100's of times and never had a problem with the cops, have even had them come up while we were unloading in the carpark and say "have fun be careful". There are some dickheads who go flat out past where the surf life saving flags are doing wheelies and shit but if you go slow to the 1km marker then go into the tracks that lead down to port Waikato you should be ok, riding on the flat part of the beach is boring as hell anyway. There is a bit of a bowl that has a jump in it sometimes if the wind has been going the right way and a few tracks in the forest between the fence and the beach down by the port. Watch out for 4wd's and other bikes and don't go flying over blind crests and corners. There is a good hill climb right down the end by the port to when the tide is low.

FJRider
29th August 2014, 20:48
The beach is a road.

Aside from THAT simple fact ... is that when in public places ... (A place to which the public have access, whether as of right or not) .... the legal bits are required.

A feature, not seen often overseas, is the specific legal inclusion of a beach as a road. This allows local authorities to set speed limits on beaches, and also allows the New Zealand Police to enforce traffic laws, such as registration requirements, that apply to the on-road use of motor vehicles.

scott411
30th August 2014, 12:41
Been to Kariotahi 100's of times and never had a problem with the cops, have even had them come up while we were unloading in the carpark and say "have fun be careful". There are some dickheads who go flat out past where the surf life saving flags are doing wheelies and shit but if you go slow to the 1km marker then go into the tracks that lead down to port Waikato you should be ok, riding on the flat part of the beach is boring as hell anyway. There is a bit of a bowl that has a jump in it sometimes if the wind has been going the right way and a few tracks in the forest between the fence and the beach down by the port. Watch out for 4wd's and other bikes and don't go flying over blind crests and corners. There is a good hill climb right down the end by the port to when the tide is low.

Agreed, if you don't be an idiot there you get left alone, go away from where everyone is and well away from the surf club and you willed not have issues,

FJRider
30th August 2014, 13:13
What is the speed limit on a beach ?

Ask Burt Munroe ... he spent a bit of time riding on beaches ... ;)

FJRider
30th August 2014, 13:18
the ltnz said i must get the exemption and then i can ride on the beach even though it is a road. with the exemption u pay a yearly reg but no wof coz u are not using it as a sports road going bike like a zxr. u can not ride around town but u can go on the beach :calm:

At the 25 / 30 km/hr speed limit the local council has set ... oh the fun you will have ... :calm:

Mo NZ
30th August 2014, 17:34
The cops are there because Dickheads have been roaring around toddlers and Grannies and other beach users with a fuck you I'm having fun attitude.
The first step here seems to be education to the riders of their responsibilities, a legal bike, along with a friendly ride safe message.

Mo NZ
30th August 2014, 17:43
Agreed, if you don't be an idiot there you get left alone, go away from where everyone is and well away from the surf club and you willed not have issues,

You got it. Then everybody is happy. You get your blatt down the beach. The toddlers get to build the sandcastle and the fisherman goes home with a fish. All good.