PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting idle mixture

MrMelon
13th February 2004, 08:12
I've got my bike back, and it's running well, except it won't idle for more than about 30 seconds without stalling. You can hear it start to die, and if you give it a couple of small blips on the throttle, it'll feel like it's a bit flooded, before revving properly again.

So i think the mixture might just be a bit rich at idle, which is causing it to stall.
Is there just a screw on the carbs or something that'll adjust the idle mixture?

Cheers.

Jackrat
13th February 2004, 09:18
Yes and no..Even more confused now??? :laugh:
Sorry dude,,Your idle setting and your mixture are two different things.
You can alter your idle speed to what ever you want it to be.....There should be a screw on your Carb linkages...Should have a slot for a screw driver in the end,,and will move both or all carbs togeather.I'm not familiar with your bike but it will be there somewhere.Your fuel air Mixtures you don't want to mess with unless you know what your doing.
It sounds like it is just set to low on idle,,,,,Errrrr maybe :sweatdrop
Good luck.

MrMelon
13th February 2004, 10:16
Heh, yep I'm well confused now.

From what i've found on the net there should be an idle speed screw, which is just basically a stop for the throttle so that it can't close as far, which will raise the idle, and an idle mixture screw which should only adjust the mixture on the pilot jet?

So I was thinking/hoping that i could just adjust the idle mixture to stop it running so rich at idle, but It shouldn't affect the mixture throughout the rest of the rev range because that'll be using different jets won't it?

MrMelon
13th February 2004, 10:25
But then again this is only from what I've read, so I could be completely and utterly wrong :P

merv
13th February 2004, 11:09
You are quite right there will be a pilot air screw on each carb. Has someone fiddled with them because usually they don't need adjusting? If you have the bike handbook it will probably say the way to set them is screw them all the way in then back them out 1.5 turns for example. To fine tune them set the bike at a fastish idle - that is screw up the idle speed screw a bit that Jackrat referred to, then try just tweaking the pilot screw one way and then the other. The optimum is when the engine revs fastest. Easy to do on a single cylinder bike but on the twin you'll have to tweak each screw say 1/4 turn at a time and do them both and see how it goes then adjust both again. You can't really go wrong because failing all else screw them all the way in again and then out to the standard setting.

Racey Rider
13th February 2004, 12:22
[QUOTE=MrMelon]I've got my bike back, and it's running well, except it won't idle for more than about 30 seconds without stalling. QUOTE]

Ring the shop that did the work and ask them.
They shouldn't be sending you a bike back that doesn't idle right! :(

I wouldn't go playing with air mixture screws straight away, as this could void your warrenty on work the shop has done for you. Maybe, maybe not, just a issue to think about.

MrMelon
13th February 2004, 12:33
Yeah I just called the shop and they said to just try giving them half a turn out and see if it sorts it out, and if it doesn't to take it back there and they'll sort it out for free.

The shop changed a couple of the jets and played with the carbs, so it looks like they might've just been a little bit out still.

So it's all good :D

Motoracer
13th February 2004, 13:35
I'll go bald from stress if I had to adjust the 48 cylinder bike's mixtures.

Motu
13th February 2004, 14:05
It only had 3 carbs I think,one for each bank - I'd have no problem setting them up....but I'd need you for a plug check please.

erik
13th February 2004, 15:04
This thread has come at just the right time for me, I'm about to try to set the carbs on my zeal this afternoon. I've already googled for stuff on setting up carbs, this is the only post I found that I thought was useful, but I'm sure there must be lots of other stuff out there.
google post (http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=32AB15F9.22B5%40lifenet.com&rnum=2)
I thought the bit about idle mixture adjustment might help you, MrMelon.

I was just kind of looking for a step-by-step explanation (like what merv wrote :) ), because in the book I've got from the library it talks in more general terms and tells you to refer to the service manual for more details (and aparently there is no english service manual for my bike).

curious george
13th February 2004, 18:11
What's the battery like? It's been sitting a while..... You wil know if the mix is too rich by taking a plug out. I assume you have adjusted the choke from start up, and are GENTLY reving it? Like the manual said??

Al
14th February 2004, 07:50
Well....... the shop fugged it up, let them repair/adjust, or are you going to be riding this weekend (shit question!).

MrMelon
14th February 2004, 10:17
Well....... the shop fugged it up, let them repair/adjust, or are you going to be riding this weekend (shit question!).

Well I would get them to fix it up, but I wanna go riding this weekend!

It'll idle fine with the choke on, but with it off it'll only go for about 30 sec before it stalls.