PDA

View Full Version : New to New Zealand , New to Kiwibiker..

Nando
13th February 2004, 08:29
Hi. Recently moved to New Zealand from the US. Want to say the site is pretty cool!!!! Anyway, I use to ride bikes in the US sometime ago. However, living in the cold and frozen tundra of Chicago, we did not have a long riding season, so it became very cost prohibitive. Anyway, need some help now that my family and I are in New Zealand. First, I kind of get this "learner" license stuff, but any guidance on this law would be greatly appreciated. I have to check to see if my motorcycle license from the States is expired or not. The bigger question is, for my wife, who now wants to start riding. She does not have any riding experience and nor a license. So, where does she start? Also, what would be a recommended 250cc bike for her? Remember, she is just beginning. Just in case my license has expired, what would be a nice 250cc bike for me to zoooommmm around New Zealand for the one year period? Thanks for any help!

bungbung
13th February 2004, 09:03
Welcome Nando,

I think you'll find the Auckland weather more conducive to riding than Chicago. I am not sure how your Illinois licence will translate here, but starting from scratch:

NZ has a graduated licence system, and your wife will start with a learners licence.

To get this she will need:

A 'Basic Handling Skills' Certificate (this is issued by a private company after you complete a competency test riding around traffic cones in a carpark. The bikes can be hired for this occasion) I can't help you in the Auckland area, but someone from the board will know.

Sit and pass a theory test based on the NZ road code (This is multiple choice, 30 questions)

This is outlined on the NZ Land Transport website www.ltsa.govt.nz

You are now allowed to ride a bike up to 250cc in capacity. Simple.

A suitable bike(s)? how about the Honda VT250/VTR250? nice V twin, VTR looks good too.

Enjoy NZ :)

gpercivl
13th February 2004, 09:21
Contact Craig Wiffen of Auckland Motorcycle Club for the 'Basic Handling Skills' course tel: 444-6261

wari
13th February 2004, 12:45
Gudday Nando ... BIG welcome to you and your family to NZ and Auckland. :wavey:

Hope all your riding experiences will be good ones. Most of the modern 250's in NZ are pretty good bikes, so just try out what you like the look of and see if they suit. I know someone who's wife has a virago 250 which she loves and he does too just quietly.

Se ya around mate...

:scooter: :ride:

Zed
13th February 2004, 14:07
Hi. Recently moved to New Zealand from the US. Want to say the site is pretty cool!!!! Anyway, I use to ride bikes in the US sometime ago. However, living in the cold and frozen tundra of Chicago, we did not have a long riding season, so it became very cost prohibitive. Anyway, need some help now that my family and I are in New Zealand. First, I kind of get this "learner" license stuff, but any guidance on this law would be greatly appreciated. I have to check to see if my motorcycle license from the States is expired or not. The bigger question is, for my wife, who now wants to start riding. She does not have any riding experience and nor a license. So, where does she start? Also, what would be a recommended 250cc bike for her? Remember, she is just beginning. Just in case my license has expired, what would be a nice 250cc bike for me to zoooommmm around New Zealand for the one year period? Thanks for any help!
Hiya Nando & welcome. :spudwave:

I'm curious, what bikes did you ride in the States? And what are the roads/riders like over there? :ride:

Zed

curious george
13th February 2004, 16:49
I assume the licence you currently have is a valid US one? Someone at work here just got a straight transfer from US to NZ. No test nuttin. Perhaps it was a State thing (he was from Nwe York), or perhaps it's something you can do too. - Actually, he did have to get confirmation or something from the US, but it was pretty easy. Just ride on the left side of the road - THE CORRECT SIDE!!! :blah:
Welcome to NZ.

Big Dog
13th February 2004, 16:59
I assume the licence you currently have is a valid US one? Someone at work here just got a straight transfer from US to NZ. No test nuttin. Perhaps it was a State thing (he was from Nwe York), or perhaps it's something you can do too. - Actually, he did have to get confirmation or something from the US, but it was pretty easy. Just ride on the left side of the road - THE CORRECT SIDE!!! :blah:
Welcome to NZ.

Perhaps this explains all the accidents that occur with riders on the wrong side of the road here...

Going down the straight :scooter:
Going round the corner :ride:
Realising your on the wrong side :confused2
Realising thats a Mack coming the other way :shit:

SPman
13th February 2004, 21:28
And there.......:eek:

Milky
13th February 2004, 23:05
Seeing as u are on the north shore, there is a guy called Doug Swanson - ph 416 5096 who I did my test with up there... he seems like a pretty laid back guy about it as far as i can tell from the 3 occasions i have been there (for other ppls tests - not repeats of mine ;) ) and he does it at a reasonable price too :D

Kwaka-Kid
14th February 2004, 04:33
yep thats the guys name! doug swanson... got mine thru him too!

figjam
14th February 2004, 08:09
So did I. He's great!

Milky
16th February 2004, 22:34
actually i lied... i didnt do my test there :s i did all the questions out of the road code, and got them all right, so some dodgy police recruited guy gave me a certificate, then i did my theory test and was riding :p

anyone else not actually get on a bike for their motorcycle handling course?

Big Dog
17th February 2004, 17:50
actually i lied... i didnt do my test there :s i did all the questions out of the road code, and got them all right, so some dodgy police recruited guy gave me a certificate, then i did my theory test and was riding :p

anyone else not actually get on a bike for their motorcycle handling course?
I wasn't allowed to do my theory until I could present a Basic handling skills test, which is all theory. :eyepoke: :bash: :Pokey: