PDA

View Full Version : Tawera Nikau helps launch motorcycle safety campaign

bungbung
13th February 2004, 08:43

High-profile motorcycle enthusiasts have suggested car drivers put themselves in the biker's seat to gain a better understanding of two-wheeler road users.

Former league player Tawera Nikau, who lost part of a leg following a motorbike accident, and businessman Dick Hubbard, a recreational rider, are supporting a new Accident Compensation Corporation campaign to look out for motorbikes.

Mr Nikau said he was clipped by a car before crashing off the road in Huntly last July.

He was approached to take part in the campaign - "I was the latest high-profile accident dude" - and was keen to get involved and spread the message.

Many drivers "don't register" motorbikes when they're driving, he says.

He does not hold the motorist responsible for his accident, but liked a suggestion by Mr Hubbard that maybe all car drivers should try riding a bike as part of the licensing process.

According to ACC, most crashes involving motorbikes and four-wheel vehicles happen at intersections, and 65 per cent of the time the motorists were at fault because they "did not see" the bike.

The campaign was launched with statistics showing motorcycles make up 1.4 per cent of all motor vehicles but injuries suffered by motorcyclists make up 18 per cent of ACC's motor vehicle injury claims.

ACC's general manager of injury prevention, Darrin Goulding, said the injuries also tended to be more serious because of the high-risk exposure that comes with riding a motorbike.

The Ulysses Motorcycle Club, a social club for riders over 40, is working with ACC to promote the safety campaign, which was launched in Auckland yesterday but will go nationwide.

Mr Goulding said a second phase would promote protective gear that should be worn by bikers.

He said the general public was at present most aware of motorbikes ridden by police and gang members.

On two wheels

* Motorcycles make up 1.4 per cent of the New Zealand motor vehicle fleet.

* Injuries to motorcyclists make up 18 per cent of the cost of motor vehicle injury claims to ACC.

* Most crashes involving motorbikes and four-wheel vehicles happen at intersections.

* In 65 per cent of those the motorist was at fault and "did not see" the motorbike.

From NZ Herald 13.02.2004

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3549008&thesection=news&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=

James Deuce
13th February 2004, 09:12
65% for "did not see" sounds low. Fudged stats I'd say.

Anyway good on Dick and especially Tawera for speaking out positively.

yessum
13th February 2004, 12:53
65% for "did not see" sounds low. Fudged stats I'd say.

this leaves 35% for "purposely opening door in front of lanesplitter". makes sense to me <_<

sounds like a step in the right direction anyway.
Anyone know what this campaign entails, apart from those "look for bikes" billboards? should i be expecting a leaflet in the mail or what?

Hitcher
13th February 2004, 12:57
At least the paper didn't say that Tawera Nikau kick-started the campaign...

I was also intrigued by his comments that if this campaign had started sooner it would have saved his leg. I know the road on which he was clipped and he was way too close to the centreline (as was the truck what clipped him).

Big Dog
13th February 2004, 13:39
Any raising of puplic awareness is a good move and far more practical than punishing us by levying us for that 65% who do not look.

SILVER SUZI
13th February 2004, 14:04
If 65% "didn't see us", does that mean that the other 35% did see us and still managed to hit us (or mabey even aimed for us)! :beer:

pete376403
13th February 2004, 23:18
If we all road bikes like the one he was pictured on (huge Honda Ramen or summat) there'd be no excude for no being seen - it looked massive.

Zed
13th February 2004, 23:31
At least the paper didn't say that Tawera Nikau kick-started the campaign...

I was also intrigued by his comments that if this campaign had started sooner it would have saved his leg. I know the road on which he was clipped and he was way too close to the centreline (as was the truck what clipped him).I was mildly amused that Nikau was quoted as saying he didn't hold the other motorist responsible for his accident- me waz disappointed that he didn't elaborate any further on that point! :sick: I wonder what he really thinks about cage drivers?

Zed

Jackrat
14th February 2004, 06:12
I was mildly amused that Nikau was quoted as saying he didn't hold the other motorist responsible for his accident- me waz disappointed that he didn't elaborate any further on that point! :sick: I wonder what he really thinks about cage drivers?

Zed

Well seeing as how the accident was his own fault that don't supprise me.
But then again good on him for doing something to help other riders.

moko
14th February 2004, 06:55
First I`ve heard of Tewere Nickau`s accident,he was really popular when playing League over here a few years back.Was it the Huntly-Auckland road it happened,or another one?Wari sent me down the scenic route to Huntly from Port Waikato and that`s a neat piece of road.
Ominous sign here as the Govt. have noted it is the rise in bike accidents where only a bike is involved,i.e. rider error.Over here we have a thing called direct access where you can do your trining on a GS500 Suzi then go down the road and jump on a GSXR1000 after your 2 weeks total riding experience,which is exactly what people do.We also have a lot of what are known as "born again bikers",guys who like me passed their test years ago when basically as long as you could make it round the block without falling off you passed.These guys remember their old `79 Z1000 then go out and buy an R1 thinking it`s the same thing.A lot of these guys only ride in Summer and at weekends and either are rusty and on a machine a lot more powerful than they ever imagined a bike could be or they have almost zero experience and it`s guys in their 40`s that are killing themselves on an all-too regular basis.I started out on a CB200 and smashed and thrashed it while on a steep,painful and often expensive learning curve.Now I could go to a training school having never ridden a bike before and a couple of weeks later have an R1 as a first bike.

Yamahamaman
14th February 2004, 07:53
Was anyone aware that if un-helmetted Bill Average Dairy Farmer falls off his farm bike and requires hospilatisation or other medical treatment, it is categorised as a motorcycle accident as far as the ACC is concerned.

The stats could be somewhat inflated.

DEATH_INC.
14th February 2004, 08:28
Was anyone aware that if un-helmetted Bill Average Dairy Farmer falls off his farm bike and requires hospilatisation or other medical treatment, it is categorised as a motorcycle accident as far as the ACC is concerned.

The stats could be somewhat inflated.

Yep,ALL m/c accidents get grouped together,mx,farmers,quads,kids on pw 50's,etc,etc.
And if they suspect yer speeding they won't put you in the 65% that don't see you,you go in the 'speed causing the accident' grouping,never mind you could have been doing 40k's and that sweet little old lady would have still tried to kill you.....

bondagebunny
14th February 2004, 09:36
THe story reproduced here - at the end says that the public are aware of mainly motorcycle cops and motorcycle gangs.

The cops are easy to identify they ride white bikes - flashing red lights etc.

The gangs - how do the public identify them - The PAtch on the riders back -
There is a whole thread on this subject - on with I got roundly slagged and dissed.

But I ask you again - how else do the public identify gang members, and you do yourself a disservice if you say the public can tell the difference between gang patches, and cartoon club patches.

The "lunchbox drivers" cant tell the difference, they dont care if there is a difference. If the biker has a PATCH he/she/it is a bad guy. and I stand by the comments I made on the earlier thread - If you wear a patch you do a disservice to all other bikers, regardless of the patch orientation.

I will not respond to further comment. I just wanted to point iout what the article said in case that part of it was overlooked for comment.

I still have not been unsubscribed as requested, despite emails to site managers etc, so I will comment as warrented - obviously contentious comments are wanted.

The regular 15 or so who comment on every thread, dont bother with personal attacks I will not respond.

Motu
14th February 2004, 10:20
Good,we can slag him and he won't talk back :Playnice:

Trouble with that theory is that most car drivers that pull out see the bike from the front...not the back...duh.I have never worn a patch,and never will,not even a cartoon - but when I rode British bikes with open pipes and all black gear the car drivers sure noticed me alright....on my BMW with a white helmet they never saw me.If they see ya it's all good in my book....but I don't ride to be seen - I look out for them ,not them for me

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 13:32
The "lunchbox drivers" cant tell the difference, they dont care if there is a difference. If the biker has a PATCH he/she/it is a bad guy. and I stand by the comments I made on the earlier thread - If you wear a patch you do a disservice to all other bikers, regardless of the patch orientation.

YAY - open slather.

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT! I don't think if I have a Ducati Badge on my back and ride a 999 - a car driver is going to think 'Fuck, there goes a Highway 69 Member!!!'

Full of shit.....most leathers these days come out with the 'equivilent of patches' - with race rep leathers having sponsors logos etc.....

BB - can you pull your trousers down a bit, as you are muffling the words coming out your arse on this post.

Zed
14th February 2004, 16:54
I took these photos of the campaign signs today on the Southern M'way Pakuranga/Mt Wellington offramp, Auckland...what a superb day for riding it turned out to be!

Attached to the following thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?postid=26483#poststop

Zed

bondagebunny
14th February 2004, 19:10
twonk - why dont you stop spouting what YOU think and try asking people you know who dont ride or have anything to do with bikes. Like people you work with - if you hold down a job.

Ask them a simple questions - what do you think of Motorcycle gangs?

and follow it up with how do you recognise a gang member?

you will get some sort of answer like this - Patch on jacket, tattoos, no helmet or german helmet, dirty, rides a harley.

Try it I dare you.

I have never said bikers cant recognise the difference.

as for sponser logos that doesnt even deserve an answer.