PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Thailand

Jonty
26th October 2005, 10:12
Well, I am back after a whirlwind 10day holiday in Phuket Thailand and I thought I should report back on what only can be described is pure lunacy on 2 wheels.

It started out on the day I arrived and I noticed that everyone on this island (from the age of 5 and up), possessed at least 2 100 -110cc step throughs (not unlike the old farm CT110). I decided that these locals must be onto something so I decided to hire one. After searching around the hire stores I noticed that anything bigger than 100cc was extremely difficult to find and for the whole trip I think I managed to see only one 1000cc sports bike!!

After exhaustive discussions with various retailers explaining that yes 600cc super sports bikes do exist in the world, I gave in and went for a brightly coloured 110cc Honda Dream :niceone: (sounds quick doesn't it!). I donned my matching helmet, which resembled something like a chainsaw hard hat, and headed out onto the highway. This was where the fun began. Thai drivers have got to be the most reckless drivers on this planet, there is no such thing as driving on the correct side of the road or keeping out of lanes designated for these little bikes (I might add with a top speed of 80kmph). For most of my trip I was sandwiched in between at least two 4 wheel drives that seemed intent on sending me to my death down a rather steep bank and a variety of these other brightly coloured midget bikes. At one point in my travels I was even passed by an entire family (no helmets) mum, dad and three kids all on the same bike!! (I sure that little machine was turboed as I couldn't catch it for the life on me :whistle: )

Now for those here who are new to the concept of lane splitting you should go to Thailand, these guys are the masters. The rules appear to be along the lines of "if there is a gap take it" and "if someone cuts you off stick out your foot and push off the offending vehicle".

What was even more concerning was learning on my return that I was not insured and any damaged that occured to me or anyone else was gong on my credit card!! So if anyone else is thinking of this endeavour be warned that you will feel safer on a ZR12R on your learner license in Aucland traffic than on these little death traps.

All in all a great trip and I think it is worth getting on a bike if you are ever out of the country and getting some good experience at keeping yourself out of harms way :niceone:

DemonWolf
26th October 2005, 10:51
Good writeup.. Dont think I'd be keen with so many wasp like small bikes zoomin around at me..

Sniper
26th October 2005, 10:53
Nice write up mate. Pity about the insurance scare though, but most the time its the only way rentals companys can have fun :whistle:

zadok
26th October 2005, 11:42
Good one. Good job you learned about the insurance when you got back and not before, otherwise it would have spoilt all your fun!

WRT
26th October 2005, 11:42
So, to sum up in one word their attitude towards riding, it would be the name of their city?

Phonetically, of course . . .

gamgee
26th October 2005, 11:48
So, to sum up in one word their attitude towards riding, it would be the name of their city?

Phonetically, of course . . .

thigh land? i don't get it :whistle:

Biff
26th October 2005, 11:51
You obviously possess a larger set of plums than I my friend. I'd never ride a bike in Thailand. I rode one in Vietnam once - and I didn't stop shaking for about 1/2 hour after I got off my hire bike. I couldn't even find a safe place to stop in order to gather my thoughts either, as I was caught up in a fast moving mass of hundreds of machines, and I daren't make any attempt to move in any direction othetr than straight ahead.

Leave it to the Asians....

Good on you - and thanks for the write up.

Korea
26th October 2005, 12:03
Ha~ yes, the minimum three-on-a-bike rule is embraced all over S.Korea too; that and the obligatory no gloves, no helmet, no boots rule.
Still, not as scary as riding in Thailand or Vietnam.

Saw a student on his VFR400 stopped at the lights with no helmet yesterday. Where was it? Precariously balancing in front of him on the petrol tank! When asked, he explained that he only had a short way to go - bollocks, he just didn't want to spoil his spikey hairdo.
Plonker.

Warren
26th October 2005, 14:11
Thailand has a high mortality rate because of the crazy motorcycle riding. It is also too hot that safety gear is almost non-existant. Taxes are the reason that there are so few cars or larger than 125cc bikes (only tourists). I have actually ridden a motorbike in thailand but not on the road, only up and down a long driveway.

inlinefour
26th October 2005, 14:34
I know enough now to be staying off a bike should I ever end up over that way :niceone:

Toast
26th October 2005, 15:21
Didn't SpankME do a write-up about Thai riding a while back...and how he hired an SP1 for $50 or something.

I remember seeing a few R1s and stuff around Phuket for hire when I was there. Maybe the tsunami ate them all though. Apparently big bikes there are illegal to import, so any which are then have been brought in, in pieces as 'spares' and assembled from the ground up.

Zapf
26th October 2005, 16:28
LOL... that is where I caught onto the whole riding thing in Thailand and after coming back I decided I MUST have a bike!

dhunt
26th October 2005, 18:34
Well, I am back after a whirlwind 10day holiday in Phuket Thailand and I thought I should report back on what only can be described is pure lunacy on 2 wheels.

Glad you enjoyed it, I was over there a couple years ago and really enjoyed my time there. Yes you can get bigger bikes there. A mate and I rented some CB400's and another guy had some sort of cruiser V4 750 and had great fun cruising round on them. cost about $20 NZ a day if I remember right.