PDA

View Full Version : Pipes

outlawtorn
26th October 2005, 13:36
Now that I've got my beautiful Volusia 800, I am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to get a set of aftermarket pipes? I'd like something with a little more bark, not that I am unhappy with the way the bike currently sounds, but I reckon it would just add to the whole experience.

Anyone done this to their cruisers, do you have before and after pics?
Does it affect your performance? (Dumb question but I'm curious)
Does a two into one pipe make any difference?

James Deuce
26th October 2005, 13:40
Cobra Exhausts in the US do a nice set of slash cuts for the Voluisa.

http://www.mach1motorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_1385-5134-5168_product_119126.Suzuki_Volusia_800_Exhaust.htm

zadok
26th October 2005, 14:16
Never heard of one. They look pretty cool. The pic I found has nice looking pipes as standard.

outlawtorn
26th October 2005, 14:58
Never heard of one. They look pretty cool. The pic I found has nice looking pipes as standard.
Is it possible to keep my current pipes but have the sound altered?

I know these might be dumb questions, but I simply don't know any of this technical shit....

James Deuce
26th October 2005, 16:11
Yep. Use Google to do a search on removing Voluisa Exhaust baffles and see what comes up.

This Forum may be useful for you.

http://www.boulevardowners.com/cafe/index.cfm?fuseaction=read&id=30249&forum=2

Grizz
26th October 2005, 16:14
Can't comment on modyfying your existing exhausts, but the bloke at Custom Chambers in East Tamaki (274-1155) knows what he is talking about, and doesn't seem to mind giving some advice over the phone. I used him for pipe that I had fitted to a CBR400RR, and he did a really nice job.

Waylander
26th October 2005, 21:05
Take a long, thin piece of metal. Stick it as far down your pipe as it will go then bang on the petruding end until it goes in farther, remove and repeat for the other one. Instant loud pipes but say bye-bye to any future of passing a WOF lol.

Check out the "Does a chopper have to be a V-twin?" thread for a few folks that have customed thier bikes here. May even find someone that can make you a set. Ask the guy named Shotgun, he seems to know quite a bit about part manufacturing.

Lou Girardin
27th October 2005, 07:13
Now that I've got my beautiful Volusia 800, I am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to get a set of aftermarket pipes? I'd like something with a little more bark, not that I am unhappy with the way the bike currently sounds, but I reckon it would just add to the whole experience.

Anyone done this to their cruisers, do you have before and after pics?
Does it affect your performance? (Dumb question but I'm curious)
Does a two into one pipe make any difference?

AMPS have set of Vance & Hines straight shots @ $808.00 inc.
We can get the slash cut Cruzers in from the States - probably similar dosh.

TLDV8
27th October 2005, 11:09
Is it possible to keep my current pipes but have the sound altered?

I would keep the stock setup to get a WOF,unless the law has changed..I was told no louder than the stock system to get a WOF??? (between WOF's is up to the owner) ..was also told some HD owners were bleating that they had official HD aftermarket systems (read dimwit loud) and were failed because it was not the system fitted at the factory.

classic zed
27th October 2005, 22:16
I would keep the stock setup to get a WOF,unless the law has changed..I was told no louder than the stock system to get a WOF??? (between WOF's is up to the owner) ..was also told some HD owners were bleating that they had official HD aftermarket systems (read dimwit loud) and were failed because it was not the system fitted at the factory.

I think you will find that the wording is "not significantly louder than standard" however without a standard bike next to it to compare it to it is very difficult to judge what fails, unless you are really taking the piss of course and running no muffler at all.

vixta
5th November 2005, 12:05
Just a thought before you spend money.. i took the baffles out of my bike (one left in each now) then took about 10 inches off the ends through the drop saw. I no this sound harsh, but my bike sounds awesome, and the pipes look great. And at the end of the day, if you don't like the result, then you can go spend $$$ on a new set. Either way you don't loose :done:

outlawtorn
7th November 2005, 10:37
Just a thought before you spend money.. i took the baffles out of my bike (one left in each now) then took about 10 inches off the ends through the drop saw. I no this sound harsh, but my bike sounds awesome, and the pipes look great. And at the end of the day, if you don't like the result, then you can go spend $$$ on a new set. Either way you don't loose :done:
Hey Vixta,

I'd really like to see before and after pics of your pipes!! I've decided to put the pipe upgrade on hold for a couple of months....

vixta
7th November 2005, 13:02
No worries, as soon as i find some dam batteries for that digital camera!
They came up really good, i just did a straight through cut, but one of the other guys in our club did some slash cuts on his (same bike), so just depends what look you are after i guess... But the sound is fantastic!!! :2thumbsup
Ps: How do i post photo's in the replys???? :stupid:

heavenly.talker
7th November 2005, 13:15
Now that I've got my beautiful Volusia 800, I am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to get a set of aftermarket pipes?

Go to trademe and type in Vl800. There is a guy in Glenfield that is selling his bike. He imported loud pipes for it and might be convinced to sell them seperately from the bike (the quiet ones are on the bike at present).

His name is cough...(see your PM) cough.

Bloody sweet bike actually...I imagine the bikes are also in prem condition.

gman
23rd December 2005, 14:08
ive got some mufflers i bout on trade me but too loud for me.look up mufflers in bike parts.see if their any good for ya.$50 would own em.

Hitcher
23rd December 2005, 15:11
I keep trying to persuade Mrs H that the stock exhausts on her Marauder are dangerously quiet and that a nice set of Cobras would improve her general safety and well-being. To date she is unconvinced by such logic.