PDA

View Full Version : CORO LOOP WARNING

marty
27th October 2005, 08:08
This Saturday the K2 cycle race is being held on the Coro loop. starts in Whitianga at about 7am, heads to Coromandel, then Thames, Tairua and back to Whitianga. fastest guys do it in about 6 hours - slowest it'll still be dark There's about 600 riders, so they'll be using plenty of road.

Having been involved in this race, and knowing how big it is (think Round-Taupo but skinnier roads), I'd be taking much care if doing the loop on a motorbike on saturday, not to mention the best part (between manaia and whitianga) is where you're likely to see the most of the riders)

http://www.sportzhub.com/arc/K2/the_k2.html

Lou Girardin
27th October 2005, 08:27
We struck psyclists racing in Arthurs Pass in Feb. Absolute friggin' curse, all over the road at 15 km/h and the support vehicles were worse. They were doing the same speed in the oncoming lane while talking to the riders.
Get a 4x4 and ride through the lot of 'em.

marty
27th October 2005, 08:36
if you did that to me, and i knew who you were, i'd smack you in the fucking head. that may be a troll lou, but it's fucking irresponsible and childish.

Damon
27th October 2005, 09:27
I think what he's trying to say Marty is that the cyclists and their support need to be courtious to other road users and remember that not every one wants to ride/drive at 15kmh for 50kms, because if they do they will piss alot of people off and force them into some dangerous situations where the cyclist will come off second best.

marty
27th October 2005, 09:36
i realise that. i am a cyclist too, and would be doing this ride if i could. attitudes like lous though permeate through, and often unfortunately apply to 4x4 vs motorcyclists too

R6_kid
27th October 2005, 11:32
yeh, i think its just a curtesy thing to be honest. The road code says single file but to frequently i have to pass cyclists riding 4 or 5 wide...

sure we can let them off for racing, specially on a hard slog course like that, but they need to remember its a public road, and as it is with motorcyclists they need to do their utmost to keep themselves safe (eg obeying the road rules)

would hate to accidently knock one of em off when they are only wearing minimal lycra :eek5:

Ixion
27th October 2005, 11:49
I got caught up in this thing (or one very like it) in Coromandel a few years ago, unwittingly. Not pleasant at all.

The cyclists pretty much took over the road and closed it to normal traffic. Very arrogant very selfish.

But , it raises an interesting point. If a section of public road can be used by cyclists for racing (BTW I thought that racing on the public road was illegal ? ), why can it not be equally used by motorcyclists for racing ?

The cyclists certainly break the speed limit on that race . A motorcycle race round the Coro loop would be quite something

If they are allowed to do it, why are not we also ?

Motu
27th October 2005, 11:53
You quite often meet bike racers out Karaka way,actualy I don't think they are really racers,just jaffa posers - anyway they trundle along 4 wide yaking away to each other,taking no notice of the traffic whatsoever.It's just plain discourtesy - and whether you are on a bike,a horse,in a car or 4x4...and hey,even on a pushbike in a road race,being aware and making allowances for other traffic is just basic.If there was a road closeuer sure...but with other cars on the road it is THEIR responsability to be as safe as possible....it's not up to other road users to swerve out of their way onto the wrong side of the road....just basic dog fuck I reckon.

TLDV8
27th October 2005, 11:59
Very arrogant very selfish.

That is an understatement,the law should crack down on these shaven leg,lycra wearing Homo's... They seem to want to hold up traffic so ride 3 4 or 5 abreast on purpose,if i read that a bunch of these Wankers had been bowled it would be no supprise,the attitude as far as i have seen is pretty much across the board.

Keystone19
27th October 2005, 11:59
You quite often meet bike racers out Karaka way,actualy I don't think they are really racers,just jaffa posers - anyway they trundle along 4 wide yaking away to each other,taking no notice of the traffic whatsoever.It's just plain discourtesy - and whether you are on a bike,a horse,in a car or 4x4...and hey,even on a pushbike in a road race,being aware and making allowances for other traffic is just basic.If there was a road closeuer sure...but with other cars on the road it is THEIR responsability to be as safe as possible....it's not up to other road users to swerve out of their way onto the wrong side of the road....just basic dog fuck I reckon.

I agree that road cyclists need to abide by the same laws as everyone else and the law does now state that cyclists should not even be riding two abreast in some situations - help me out here Ixion.

However, road cyclists do ride with the same attitude as motorcyclists - assume that no-one can see you and is out to kill you.

Some of the ways that cyclists make themselves more visible is not riding in the gutter (as we ride on the right hand side of the lane) and riding two abreast.

If you apply the same rules to cyclists as we do to motorcyclists, each group will take the best action to avoid being hit. Now for all your moaning about it, at least you see these cyclists who are riding two or four abreast or in a peleton and can safely avoid them.

My 2c...

Calo
27th October 2005, 12:31
Saw a bike (pushie) courier the other day, holding onto the petrol flap of a bus as it made it's way up Khyber Pass. :headbang:

saul
27th October 2005, 12:31
This Saturday the K2 cycle race is being held on the Coro loop. starts in Whitianga at about 7am, heads to Coromandel, then Thames, Tairua and back to Whitianga. fastest guys do it in about 6 hours - slowest it'll still be dark There's about 600 riders, so they'll be using plenty of road.

Err, well I would like to take a slightly different tack and say thanks Marty. :spudwave:

I do go through there often and will make a point to leave it this weekend :niceone:

We all need to cut each other some slack now and again :devil2:

BLACKYOSHI1000
27th October 2005, 12:59
YOU RIDE THAT ROAD TO MUCH ANYWAYS :apumpin:
IM SUPRISED YA NOT DIZZY :shit:
BEST YOU GUY`S COME FOR A :scooter: ON SUN DAY 30TH YA NANA`S :niceone:
SEE CALENDER FOR DETAILS :drinkup:

The_Dover
27th October 2005, 13:04
the law should crack down on these shaven leg,lycra wearing Homo's...

I'm no great fan of their road manners either but it's the leg shaving and lycra wearing that I reckon they should be locked up for.

Euughh :sick:

jrandom
27th October 2005, 13:10
leg shaving

true dat. s'just wrong. although I do know a triathlete whose massage therapist *made* him shave his legs so that the therapists hands wouldn't get burned fixing up his buggered hamstring.

lycra wearing

only the shorts are lycra, and for good reason. its not looks, its function.

have you ever tried riding a pushbike 50km on the road in 'normal' shorts with seams and all?

your crotch will be bleeding down into your boots for the rest of the day.

BLACKYOSHI1000
27th October 2005, 13:10
I'm no great fan of their road manners either but it's the leg shaving and lycra wearing that I reckon they should be locked up for.

Euughh :sick:
YUMM SHAVEN BODY AND SATIN SHEET`S

jrandom
27th October 2005, 13:15
We struck psyclists racing in Arthurs Pass... Absolute friggin' curse... Get a 4x4 and ride through the lot of 'em.

you fugging old troll, I've a good mind to come over there and give you a thump for that one.

support vehicles were worse. They were doing the same speed in the oncoming lane...

well *that's* wrong and unnecessary. I don't think most roadracing events allow it.

Mr Skid
27th October 2005, 13:17
have you ever tried riding a pushbike 50km on the road in 'normal' shorts with seams and all?

your crotch will be bleeding down into your boots for the rest of the day.A women needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle?

curious george
27th October 2005, 13:21
The road code says single file but .....

but they need to remember its a public road, and as it is with motorcyclists they need to do their utmost to keep themselves safe (eg obeying the road rules)
Cyclists are allowed to ride side by side. Dems da rules.
safety is paramount. Keeping safe does not always meen obeying the rules however.... as anybody riding a bike here will attest.

Get a 4x4 and ride through the lot of 'em.
Get Farked troll.

jrandom
27th October 2005, 13:23
i realise that. i am a cyclist too, and would be doing this ride if i could. attitudes like lous though permeate through, and often unfortunately apply to 4x4 vs motorcyclists too

pre-bloody-cisely

so much venom on this forum directed against cagers for their attitude, yet precisely the same crap is passed on to cyclists by motorcyclists?

silly.

the K2 rules do state that it's ever racer's duty to respect other traffic on the road. unfortunately in any roadrace you're going to get bunches riding along taking up most of the lane, it's the only way to get around in decent time.

The_Dover
27th October 2005, 13:25
YUMM SHAVEN BODY AND SATIN SHEET`S

Mostly dudes Yoshi, are you sure you haven't been at Texmo's cookies??

only the shorts are lycra, and for good reason. its not looks, its function.

your crotch will be bleeding down into your boots for the rest of the day

Shit, I thought that was from the weeping sores........

Lou Girardin
27th October 2005, 13:40
That wound the sods up didn't it.
Can anyone spot the psyclists on this thread?
When they obey even half the rules they're supposed to, I'll respect them.

Ixion
27th October 2005, 13:40
Cyclists are allowed to ride side by side. Dems da rules.
safety is paramount. Keeping safe does not always meen obeying the rules however.... as anybody riding a bike here will attest.

Get Farked troll.

Only two abreast. And not when passing parked vehicles. or if they impede traffic

From the LTSA

42. If cyclists are travelling in a large group, can they ride outside a cycle lane on the road?

Yes, but they must not ride more than two abreast and they must ride single file if passing another vehicle (including another cycle), or if riding two abreast would disrupt traffic.

And the law. Road User Rule 2004 SR2004/427 Rule 61001

11.10 Riding abreast
(1) A person must not ride a cycle or moped on a roadway so that
it remains abreast and to the right of—
(a) 2 other vehicles that are cycles or mopeds; or
(b) 1 other cycle or moped while that cycle or moped is
overtaking and passing another vehicle, including a
parked vehicle; or
(c) any other vehicle having 3 or more road wheels (including
a motorcycle fitted with a sidecar).
(2) Subclause (1) does not apply if cyclists are participating in a
race that is subject to a traffic management plan agreed by the
road controlling authority.

Note teh exemption in 11.10(2) though.

Dems da rules. Unfortunately I observed that very few cyclists indeed either know or obey any of the road rules.

I still want to know, if cyclists are permitted to race on the public roads, why are not motorcyclists?

jrandom
27th October 2005, 13:44
That wound the sods up didn't it.

you know how people have floated the idea many times around here that cage drivers shouldn't be allowed a licence until they've spent six months on a motorcycle?

well, *I* reckon *motorcyclists* shouldn't be allowed a licence until they've spent six months on a pushbike.

it'd get rid of all those annoying old fat bastards on Harleys, for starters.

says the man who gets stopped every day by the Highway Patrol so that they can shake his hand for making their job easier...

Lou Girardin
27th October 2005, 13:45
I still want to know, if cyclists are permitted to race on the public roads, why are not motorcyclists?

Because, as the AA says, cycles are much safer than bikes.

marty
27th October 2005, 13:46
hey, you're not allowed to exceed the speed limit either, but that doesn't stop anyone on here doing it.

why don't you approach LTNZ with a proposal to race a K2 type race from Whitianga to Whitianga, using motorcycles? have you ever asked or are you just presuming that won't be allowed.

jrandom
27th October 2005, 13:46

fastest you'd ever get on your roadbike throughout the K2 would be mebbe 80kph.

no speed limits being broken.

people don't often die.

you don't need a 50m gravel runoff area to keep a pushbike race reasonably safe.

you're trolling, aren't you?

jrandom
27th October 2005, 13:49
Because, as the AA says, cycles are much safer than bikes.

well now *I'd* just like to have a grump about bloody PEDESTRIANS.

focking blind as a bat and off in their own bloody little world, don't they realise that they're often walking along paths purpose-built for bicycles and that someone could pop up behind them at 40kph at any moment?

nothing worse than yelling "look out on your right" at some dope in front of you and seeing them freeze and look in every direction but the one you're fast approaching from.

Motu
27th October 2005, 14:23
You seem to be on the side of the bicycles here fish - very random of you....

Ixion
27th October 2005, 15:37

people don't often die.

you don't need a 50m gravel runoff area to keep a pushbike race reasonably safe.

Nope. No troll. Principle of the thing. Suppose a scooter club wanted to organise a race for small bore scooters round the loop? (Could actually be a good gimmick for a scooter importer, with all the interest nowdays). Scooters wouldn't break the speed limit either (peace Mr Texmo, I know some can, let's assume these ones won't) .

Why should people die more readily on motorcycles than push bikes, other factors being equal ? Motorcyclist has better protection, I know if I had to come off at 80kph I'd rather come off a motorcycle than a pushbike - wearing leather not lycra.

Don't need a gravel runoff to keep a motorcycle safe either .

So why can push bikes claim to race on the public roads more or less as a matter of right but for everybody else it's breaking the law. Incidentally I thought it was illegal to race on the public highway , even if no speed limits were broken? Or so the old snake of my youff said when he caught us racing our Bantams (which wouldn't exceed 100kph either)

Similar gripe: Noticed those "cyclists" boxes at the front of the traffic lights ? Where cyclists can wait to get away ahead of the traffic (holding it all up nicely). Now the only way that the treadleys can get to the box is to filter through the traffic waiting at the lights. But if motorcycles do that, we get a ticket! How come two different rules. And why can't we use those boxes?

(Don't actually mind pushbikes being able to do these things. But if they can, so should motorcycles be able to)

jrandom
27th October 2005, 17:05
Nope. No troll. Principle of the thing. Suppose a scooter club wanted to organise a race...

as was eloquently pointed out earlier, said club should call the regional council in question and put the idea forrard.

Why should people die more readily on motorcycles than push bikes, other factors being equal ? Motorcyclist has better protection...

because the factors are *not* all equal. an open-class motorcycle race around that loop would reach speeds well over 200kph.

I know if I had to come off at 80kph I'd rather come off a motorcycle than a pushbike

wouldn't we all.

So why can push bikes claim to race on the public roads more or less as a matter of right but for everybody else it's breaking the law.

they can't. These are officially-sanctioned events wot are carefully evaluated by the relevant authorities for risk, reward and general inconvenience factor.

generally speaking if several hundred shaved-leg types on pushies decided to just hop onto the public highway one weekend and race around Coro I suspect they'd be rounded up by plod within the first 10km and sent home after some severe finger-waggling and ticket-writing.

"cyclists" boxes... if they can, so should motorcycles be able to)

aren't any rules at intersections that differ for bicycles and motorcycles.

you will find that most regular riders in city traffic on pushies have their own little set of lawbreaking activities that they engage in as a matter of course to maximise survivability and minimise time from A to B.

I don't know any of them who've been hauled up by plod for it but that doesn't mean that they're not running the risk...

aff-man
27th October 2005, 17:29

people don't often die.

crashing at 80km/h on a pushbike..... feck that.

Yeh I was riding the loop when there was this cycle race. Worse part was going up that really windy hill (25km corners) not sure what it's called just before coro town. Came accross more than 1 cyclist walking thier bike up the hill. Now that in itself is not a problem the fact that they were wlaking in the middle of the lane to the middle of the road or walking 3 abreast was what really got me........... Support vehicles are also idiots. I see the necessity but at least you can get past cyclists....

Big Dave
27th October 2005, 18:09
We struck psyclists racing in Arthurs Pass in Feb. Absolute friggin' curse, all over the road at 15 km/h and the support vehicles were worse. They were doing the same speed in the oncoming lane while talking to the riders.

Ha small world - so did we - but i used the 15kph to stop and take a ton of photos I never wouuld have got at normal pace.

RiderInBlack
27th October 2005, 18:54
Cyclist can end up withe serious injuries too. Last Sun I stop for a downed cyclist. He'd flipped over the haddlebars going down hill. He was concussed when I got to him. Would have been worse if he didn't have a cycle helmet, but at down hill speeds only motorbike gear would have done him any good. 1/2 hour for the Ambo and another 1/2 before they had him packed and on the way to Hospital (at least 25mins away from there). Hope they have a good day without incident. Do them a favour guys and girls and not ride there that day (plenty of other road and you can have more fun without them).

curious george
27th October 2005, 19:12
Why should people die more readily on motorcycles than push bikes, other factors being equal ?
Motorcycles = faster = more kinetic energy to disperse. Often that seems to be trasnfered through the aortic arch......[/QUOTE]

So why can push bikes claim to race on the public roads more or less as a matter of right but for everybody else it's breaking the law.
Bwahahahaha! Have you ever tried to organise a race?
O.M.F.G. What a pain in the arse that is.
The police used to be quite helpful, but with budgets getting smaller, and higher priorities, cyclings has to HIRE the police, like ambo's, if there is to be any chance to start the thing.
I remember the last race I was involved in... Major door knock, leaflet drop to every house to try and win support. I couldda won an election on that alone...
ANyway, if even one of the buggers was against it, = no race. You bastards in Mt Eden know who you are.

saul
27th October 2005, 19:13
YOU RIDE THAT ROAD TO MUCH ANYWAYS :apumpin:
IM SUPRISED YA NOT DIZZY :shit:
BEST YOU GUY`S COME FOR A :scooter: ON SUN DAY 30TH YA NANA`S :niceone:
SEE CALENDER FOR DETAILS :drinkup:

Thanks for the invite but I can't go far this weekend :crybaby:

Still I am sure you will have a great time :niceone:

curious george
27th October 2005, 19:53
So when you keep to the speed limit, and are a model rider, the same applies?

Simple answer is 'COS YOU CAN"T MAKE ME!!!! :headbang:
I have no rego, plates or any id.... Muhahahahahaha
When I crash a red light, it's because I can get away from the morons at the lights, and not get sandwiched in the usuall rush from the lights.

My cycling road rules are as follows:
Don't hit anything, or let anything hit me.
Nothing else matters.
Spend a week on a bike, and I think you'll agree

Bulldog
27th October 2005, 23:17
I've been a keen cyclist since I was knee high ..... and I could write a book on the dangers of cycling around auckland. At least on your motorbike you have power to get you out of situations and you get to ride in the lane rather than to the side.

I'm an avid mountain biker, jumps, stairs and general lairing it up. Woodhill runs etc.

I've ridden from NSW to Melbourne in OZ amongst other big rides and I can tell you Auckland has the worst drivers period! Driver training needs to be changed here as people are way too incociderate and hostile over here.

Here's a few hazards.

Bicycle lanes full of glass from crashes.
Cars stopping in the lanes in traffic
Cars pulling in and out of side streets under estimating your speed
Cars pulling across on you after just passing you.
Opening of doors on you (that's a 3 times a week occurance where I ride)
Pedestrians walking out on you
I could keep going but it'll wind up all the cyclists here.

All this and I still cycle 4 times a week and ride motorbikes :eek5:

Remember a cyclist has as many rights on the road as any other vehicle, it's just a whole lot more dangerous!

Lou Girardin
28th October 2005, 11:19
[QUOTE=Fish

says the man who gets stopped every day by the Highway Patrol so that they can shake his hand for making their job easier...[/QUOTE]

Not Moi. I'm a cop - attention free zone.

Lou Girardin
28th October 2005, 11:21
Ha small world - so did we - but i used the 15kph to stop and take a ton of photos I never wouuld have got at normal pace.

Did you meet the Aussies on Ducs?

Lou Girardin
28th October 2005, 11:29
So when you keep to the speed limit, and are a model rider, the same applies?

Simple answer is 'COS YOU CAN"T MAKE ME!!!! :headbang:
I have no rego, plates or any id.... Muhahahahahaha
When I crash a red light, it's because I can get away from the morons at the lights, and not get sandwiched in the usuall rush from the lights.

My cycling road rules are as follows:
Don't hit anything, or let anything hit me.
Nothing else matters.
Spend a week on a bike, and I think you'll agree

OK then. I can accelerate away from moron cagers. You'll just have to accept that being so much slower than other traffic you will be a target for pissed off drivers.
Well done. Injuries take longer to fix than panels.

jrandom
28th October 2005, 11:33
OK then. I can accelerate away from moron cagers.

ah, yes, but when the prophecies in the Book of Rod Donald are proven true, ye shall repent, and there shall be much gnashing of the teeth, yea verily, as you find that burger-and-beer-powered transportation is much in demand, whilst you yourself are too unfit to make use o'it and must devote 70% of your after-tax income to dinosaur juice.

also, you might be surprised at how quickly a pushbike can accelerate across an intersection when required.

Patrick
28th October 2005, 12:01
Just a slight aside...what a great ride that loop is!!!!

We (four of us) were up there for Labour weekend and we did the Coromandel to Kuautunu (sp???) trip...awesome, a real must do for bikers. Saw heaps of bikers too, even the Harleys waved back.

Enjoyed it so much that Storm(Waitara) said lets do it again. Just about finished the 2nd run and she had a low speed "off" when a cage cutting the corner came at her and she braked to avoid. Did a small superman as she was bucked off and broke a bone in her hand :argh:

Cage kept going though, but another decent one stopped to help her.

Bike came out of it real good too, and the value of good gear proved its worth...saw a few out there in t shirts and shorts...

Then to top it off, while going through to Thames for xrays along the coastal road, they saw a biker (not a KBer) dive for the ditch and wipe out big time...his 3 week old Beemer is a complete write off but he was unmarked (good gears again...). Twas another cage cutting the corner...deja vu???

Oh well...had to say something to get to post 200....

Lou Girardin
28th October 2005, 12:50
ah, yes, but when the prophecies in the Book of Rod Donald are proven true, ye shall repent, and there shall be much gnashing of the teeth, yea verily, as you find that burger-and-beer-powered transportation is much in demand, whilst you yourself are too unfit to make use o'it and must devote 70% of your after-tax income to dinosaur juice.

also, you might be surprised at how quickly a pushbike can accelerate across an intersection when required.

Being of independent means, I have no fear of fuel unaffordability.

When they actually stop for the lights, that is. But the dorks sure can move when they hear the Bandito at 10 grand right behind their earhole.

Lou Girardin
28th October 2005, 12:51
Just a slight aside...what a great ride that loop is!!!!

We (four of us) were up there for Labour weekend and we did the Coromandel to Kuautunu (sp???) trip...awesome, a real must do for bikers. Saw heaps of bikers too, even the Harleys waved back.

Enjoyed it so much that Storm(Waitara) said lets do it again. Just about finished the 2nd run and she had a low speed "off" when a cage cutting the corner came at her and she braked to avoid. Did a small superman as she was bucked off and broke a bone in her hand :argh:

Cage kept going though, but another decent one stopped to help her.

Bike came out of it real good too, and the value of good gear proved its worth...saw a few out there in t shirts and shorts...

Then to top it off, while going through to Thames for xrays along the coastal road, they saw a biker (not a KBer) dive for the ditch and wipe out big time...his 3 week old Beemer is a complete write off but he was unmarked (good gears again...). Twas another cage cutting the corner...deja vu???

Oh well...had to say something to get to post 200....

Get any regos?
Write any tickets?

Phurrball
28th October 2005, 13:22
Lively wee thread here, aye?

I have to come down on the side of the cyclists here...having developed my love of two wheels initially from the human-powered variety...

Many good points made - I agree that bunch riders should be courteous to other road users. That said, to all those frothing at the mouth about the 'farking cyclists sitting 4 abreast and yakking at 15km/hr' Is it really any different to coming up behind a slow tractor/lawnmower? Did you get as pissed off about that? Is it *really* any different? Hmmm...

All this *jealously* [:devil2:] of the fact that bicycles are about the most efficient form of transport there is (I have 3). Quit moaning and get out there on the dusty treadly you've got lurking at the back of the gargre to remind yourself of what it's like! I daresay your moaning would be of a different nature then...(Just like if some of those cagers got out on a bike eh? [I]Then[I] they'd see it from a different perspective...)

I don't know any of them who've been hauled up by plod for it but that doesn't mean that they're not running the risk...

It can and does happen; old flattie got clocked $150 for sneaking an illicit jump through a red light with the wrong kind of observers behind her.

Patrick
28th October 2005, 17:05
Get any regos?
Write any tickets?

Thats the worst part...she let me pass, she was now the last in our group...two corners in quick succession later and she wasn't there suddenly...went back and found her all picked up by the friendly cager...no witnesses...no regnos...she was too busy flying superman style to look back and see what the reg was...might have been grey???? Thats about it? And couldn't even get my quotas for the weekend... :argh: