PDA

View Full Version : twist-grip lubrication?

erik
13th February 2004, 22:46
Well, I'm having fun checking stuff on my bike and trying to get it working as well as it can.
I've pulled the twist grip apart, and the handlebar is a bit corroded beneath the plastic twist-grip sheath. It doesn't really bind, but I'm wondering what I can do to stop the corrosion, and to make it a bit smoother.
I was thinking I could give the handlebar a light sand with some fine sandpaper, and then put some grease on it before reassembling the twist-grip. But I don't know if it'd be best to use some grease, or tool oil, or crc, or if they're not supposed to have any oil in them (maybe it damages the plastic?).

Comments, anyone?

pete376403
14th February 2004, 00:09
A light (LIGHT) smear of grease , if only to keep the corrosion at bay.

merv
14th February 2004, 08:10
I'd go with very light oil, grease tends to be a bit sticky making your throttle stiffer.

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 12:59
Use Graphite Dust - will work a treat and not attract dust/dirt like grease and oil will

PeteThePom
14th February 2004, 16:00
Nah what you wanna use is a decent graphite based spray, lasts forever and never gets sticky!!

erik
14th February 2004, 16:46
I ended up using a light ;) coat of grease. I'm hoping it'll last longer and inhibit the corrosion better than light oil would (I haven't got any graphite).
But if it gets sticky, I'll try one of the other options.

Just out of curiosity, would graphite dust or a graphite based spray inhibit the corrosion as well?

Thanks to all who responded :)

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 16:48
Same thing......aerosol based graphite dust

What?
15th February 2004, 19:18
My pick is teflon grease - same stuff I use in my fishing reels.

Dave
16th February 2004, 10:56
Dip the whole bike in KY jell.
Then it won't cause friction when you've got your hand on it! :Playnice:

Motoracer
16th February 2004, 11:09
Dip the whole bike in KY jell.

That'll come in real handy if you ever need to polish the inside of your exhaust pipe :laugh:

PeteThePom
16th February 2004, 11:13
Same thing......aerosol based graphite dustYeah I know and easier to use cos you can just squirt it down between the grip and the handlebar without having to take anything apart.