PDA

View Full Version : Stupid mistake, I buffed off coatings on sprocket with sandpaper!!!

FullThrottle
14th February 2004, 00:48
http://shell.world-net.co.nz/~a9950718/sprocket.jpg

Stupid me! :brick: I shouldn’t have done this!! I buffed off matt silver coatings on a swingarm with sandpaper. I just wanted to buff black paint bits on the swingarm off but it was actually undercoat(Primer I guess) :Oops: . Now I have shinny chrome looking swingarm! :argh: I guess I have to re-coat/paint the part buffed off to prevent it from getting rusted but I don’t know if I could do that. Maybe I could put carbon fiber vinyl or aluminium decal sheet on it. What would be the best solution?? Any suggestions??? Or do you know where I could get it re-coated in Auckland??

marty
14th February 2004, 03:58
it looks like it's powdercoated actually. there's a really good place in cambridge that will clean it up a re-coat it in whatever colour you want. you'll have to take the swing arm off though...

curious george
14th February 2004, 06:42
Huh? Looks good. just do the rest of it the same, and buy shares in brasso.

Kwaka-Kid
14th February 2004, 07:07
i agree with george, or just go buy a can of 2 pot epoxy spray paint that matches and 2 odd cans of laquer.

moko
14th February 2004, 07:07
You should be able to get Aluminium paint in a hardware/D.I.Y/building supplies/farmer`s store easily enough,kind of stuff people paint metal fences with e.t.c.,it wont give you an "as new" finish but will protect your swing arm,do a half-decent job and nobody`ll notice the difference unless they look closely.probably best to do the whole swingarm so it`s all the same colour if that bothers you.There`s a brand called "Smoothrite" we get here that would be ideal.Best thing would be powder-coating but that`ll cost ya plus you`ll have to strip the back of your bike down,if the prices are same as here enough paint to do your swing-arm will rush you about $30.Smoothrite black is good for replacing crappy Yamaha engine paint when it falls off as well,it`s hard-wearing and "everything proof"

FullThrottle
14th February 2004, 19:36
http://shell.world-net.co.nz/~a9950718/swingarm_primer.jpg

Now I have painted it with Corrosion primer. I'm going to paint it with similar coloured paint(couldn't find exact match) for car and clear coat on top of it. I didn't know I could also get Aluminium paint, I should have checked replies. :wacko: I just bought Holts brand Dupli Color Auto spray. I don't know how it will end up but anyway, I will post a pic after work is done.

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 20:24
Take it right back to bare metal and lacquer the whole thing - will look mint

Kwaka-Kid
14th February 2004, 20:29
dunno if i would personally take it right back.. lots of work involved etc just for a bike thats not showroom? give it character, do the best job that warrents the bike.

Dave
16th February 2004, 11:02
Take it off, sand blast it and polish/ powder coat it depending on preferance.
-too much work, you say?

the result will correspond to the amount of effort you put in.

FullThrottle
16th February 2004, 17:24
I wish I could do that but I guess it will cost a lot of money and time to do so... Maybe it's better saving money for new bike when I get my full license later. I have painted in silver already, now I'm waiting it to fully dry.

FullThrottle
18th February 2004, 14:18
http://shell.world-net.co.nz/~a9950718/swingarm_done.jpg

Finally, it's done. Woohoo :2thumbsup The painting wasn't completely dry but I couldn't wait anymore(I just finished summber school exams! :D ) :sly: . So I removed masking tape a bit too early, it resulted in roughly finished edges. So I trimmed it down with laser. I'm pretty satisfied with result. The colour wasn't too far from the original, it's quite hard to tell the difference with mudguard on. Thanks a lot for your replies!