PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250 - tyres, sprockets, screws/nuts/bolts

justsomeguy
27th October 2005, 22:54
Hi there,

I'll very shortly be needing to replace the tyres on my ZXR 250.

From doing a bit of searching I found the following three names get repeated:

1. Pirelli mtro1
2. Pirelli Sport Demons
3. Dunlop GPR80's

I used to have a set of Sport Demons on my old bike and they were quite good. How much better are the other two tyres??

What would you all recommend for the bike?? I need the tyres to do a bit of everything - commuting, twisty roads and track days.

.... however the tyres ability to provide good grip in the wet and dry is my most important deciding factor.

I also need a set of nuts, bolts and screws for my fairings, I'm missing most of them and the ones I have are rusted. Where in Auckland do you'll recommend??

Preferably central or east Auckland.

I will also need a set of sprockets and a new chain sometime soon - have any of you tried some lighter alloy sprockets?? How much do they cost?? Do they make much of a difference over the standard set?? Are there any light weight chains available too??

I remember carrying the used chain and sprockets from my old 250 and the things were really heavy.... something lighter would be great.

Cheers for any advice.:niceone:
JSG

texmo
28th October 2005, 00:30
go to repco or there is a good engerining out fit on beaumont st down the bottom end cant rember the name of the place, all you need to know is the width and length of ya bolts get em in stainless...

N4CR
28th October 2005, 00:45
Holdfast in Mt Wellington has quite a few bolts and general crap like that for my bike. Fairing screws, exhaust bolts - you name it they have it. I'm on the lookout for a new fairing hex bolt as well, keep forgetting to ask if they have them.

bugjuice
28th October 2005, 08:32
Mt Eden bikes also has loads of fairing bolts of varying length and colours too. I bought some for a GSXR250 I rebuilt, that had no bolts at all. Can't remember how much they were, but he has heaps..

As for the tyres, I have no personal opinion on any, cos I haven't used any of them before. Best bet I think, would be to go to a couple of shops like Motohaus, Cycletreads etc, tell them what riding you do, and ask for the best tyre, and the best priced tyre. Shop around a bit if you want the best deal, then decide based on how much you want to spend, and which tyre pops up the most etc.. then go with that. At the end of the day, you aren't going to know if you got the best or the worst, unless you spend a week riding each tyre. Everyone has their own prefs when it comes to things like this too, based on things they've experianced and things heard. So you'll never get a straight definative answer

justsomeguy
28th October 2005, 21:41
bump(oh yeh tehn charectehrs)

R6_kid
28th October 2005, 21:51
bridgestones mate. i run BT45 and BT92, pretty much just different grade of race tread... the 92 being more race like i believe... never slipped on when riding cept for once under heavy braking from 140kmh into a corner when it went from dry-wet-slippery, but it happened to the 3 people behind me too...

on the other hand, lets go easily when you force it (if you know what i mean) :wait:

nuts and bolts... try mt eden - they can order the stuff in for you, then you can go get them anodised (sp) any colour you like.

chain and sprockets - tensile strength is the word... lasts longer. I have a DID gold o-ring chain and its still in good condition after 12k, as for the sprockets, never changed em so wouldnt know...

R6_kid
28th October 2005, 21:52
^^^^ should be in past tense, but i cant be bothered editing (sorry)

justsomeguy
28th October 2005, 22:04
^^^^ should be in past tense, but i cant be bothered editing (sorry)

Whatever you say Young Hitcher:not:

An expert in the subject told me to try and get a Dunlop GPR70 front and a GPR80 rear. So if I can get those - then that'd be first choice.

I already rang Mt Eden and they suggested I ring the shark at Crummer Rd... got ripped off real bad there before - so for my info - how much should a set of nuts and bolts for a fairing cost?? Ball park figures are good enough.

Anybody else - know where and how much $$$ a pair of light alloy sprockets and chain cost??

Zapf
29th October 2005, 01:26
Whatever you say Young Hitcher:not:

An expert in the subject told me to try and get a Dunlop GPR70 front and a GPR80 rear. So if I can get those - then that'd be first choice.

I already rang Mt Eden and they suggested I ring the shark at Crummer Rd... got ripped off real bad there before - so for my info - how much should a set of nuts and bolts for a fairing cost?? Ball park figures are good enough.

Anybody else - know where and how much $$$ a pair of light alloy sprockets and chain cost??

sounds like u going racing... :whistle: How long you think those GPR80's going to last you?

justsomeguy
29th October 2005, 01:29
sounds like u going racing... :whistle: How long you think those GPR80's going to last you?

Hahahaha - I'm the worlds slowest Indian - how can I go racing.

You know a place I can get some light weight sprockets??

Will start phoning around tomorrow.

Those Demons lasted 6k - so I dunno how long these gonna last.

Must try and get down to Cheenic Dwive more often.:cool:

justsomeguy
1st November 2005, 22:48
Been told I can only get a 140/70/18 in a Pirelli Sport demon. $320 a set

Anyone know if a 140/70/18 rear tyre will simply bolt on to a ZXR250 without any rubbing or tweaking??

How will it effect the handling??

My next choice up are GPR80's for $410

GPR70's are out of the question due to their price... $239 for the front alone:sweatdrop

Who is the Dunlop distributor in Auckland??

Anyone know who the cheapest source of a set of 110/70/17 and 140/60/18 Dunlop GPR80'S is??

Zapf
2nd November 2005, 21:37
Been told I can only get a 140/70/18 in a Pirelli Sport demon. $320 a set

Anyone know if a 140/70/18 rear tyre will simply bolt on to a ZXR250 without any rubbing or tweaking??

How will it effect the handling??

My next choice up are GPR80's for $410

GPR70's are out of the question due to their price... $239 for the front alone:sweatdrop

Who is the Dunlop distributor in Auckland??

Anyone know who the cheapest source of a set of 110/70/17 and 140/60/18 Dunlop GPR80'S is??

hav u rang cycle treads?

forgot whats his name... ar... "Dark dream" he put a set of MTR01's onto his CBR250RR and as a result he was zooming past me on 22....(he was much much slower previously) think they only lasted him around 2k thou...

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 22:50
hav u rang cycle treads?

forgot whats his name... ar... "Dark dream" he put a set of MTR01's onto his CBR250RR and as a result he was zooming past me on 22....(he was much much slower previously) think they only lasted him around 2k thou...

Hi matey,

BOTANY HONDA are the bizzo - they've bet another big name place by nearly 100:done:

Dunlop GPR-70's are going on along with a heavy-duty chain and sprocket set tomorrow morning.:niceone:

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 12:10
without putting them all on the same bike and running them through the same conditions, any opinion would only be speculation...

dveus
3rd November 2005, 12:44
Might be worth trying a set of Avons at some stage, they seem to do OK on the gsx. Only really had a couple of times where lack of grip has been an issue, and I m sure not too many tyres will stick so well if there not actually on the ground.

HDTboy
3rd November 2005, 14:33
I just put a set of GPR-70s on, and now the limits of the bike are outside my reach, hopefully they 're not all gone in 5000Ks.
I would've thought Bridgestone BT52 front and Bridgestone Cyrax-16 rear would've suited you better JSG, that's what I was running previously and the front lasted me about 15000Ks

R6_kid
3rd November 2005, 14:55
for $375 cycle treads put BT45 front and bt92 rear on my zxr... rear lasted a good 12k, front is still going awesome at about 5k down.

just be thankful you arent riding a big bike... my R6 has nearly eaten through the rear... and thats a metzeller M1 ($$)

sad thing is its not like the zxr where i had been thrashing it and wearing down the edges,there are still chicken strips on the edges too :crybaby:

Zapf
3rd November 2005, 18:21
Hi matey,

BOTANY HONDA are the bizzo - they've bet another big name place by nearly 100:done:

Dunlop GPR-70's are going on along with a heavy-duty chain and sprocket set tomorrow morning.:niceone:

all rite... might give them a try... just as well seeing I am ready to give them 10k... and I get no phone call...