PDA

View Full Version : John Houben Race Stand review

riffer
14th February 2004, 14:05
Hi all.

I mentioned the other day that I bought a race stand off John for my Fizzer http://bikestand.888788.com and a few people have asked for a review on it, so here goes:

I rang up John on his cellphone (021 495995) and via the joys of internet banking was able to place the money in his account straight away.

So, for $139.95 (including postage) the race stand was mine!

I purchased a universal stand as my FZR750 doesn't have pickup bobbins on the swingarm.

Three days later the stand arrived by ParcelPost, not wrapped (actually just with tape covering the universal pickups and an address on a bit of card taped to it) but it didn't suffer any damage from NZ Post so all good.

So what's it like? Its a lot larger than I thought it would be. The steel tubing is 2mm x 25.4mm thick, and has mandrell bends throughout.

The welding all looks pretty sturdy and there is a wide range of width adjustment (50mm) on the universal pickup brackets, which are 60 x 50 x 4mm thick steel with generous rubber padding glued to them. The wheels are 100mm urethane and seem sturdily welded on.

The stand is powder coated in a satin black which I have noticed has already gotten a few scratches where it touches the concrete. Possibly chroming would have alleviated this problem but hey, its a working tool, and I can live with it.

How does it work? Its really easy to use. The most difficult thing about it was learning to hold the bike straight up before putting the stand underneath. More disconcerting than anything else. But I got used to that real fast. Not a lot of effort at all required to lift the bikes back end up - in fact I was surprised how little effort. Let's just say that Tim, my 4-year-old, can do it!

Likewise putting it down again. A LOT of fine control as you put the bike down again, allowing you to easily get it back on the sidestand.

The back tyre on my bike is approx 50mm from the ground when on the stand, which is plenty. My bike has an 18 inch back wheel, and is running a 160-60-18 tyre.

Anyway, to finish up, I'm very happy with the stand. Chain oiling has gone from a half hour job to around 2 minutes now, which means it will get done a lot more often!

This will become one of those tools I will wonder how I did without...

John is a great guy to talk to, and for the money, these are an absolute bargain. I will be definitely getting a front stand now - when funds permit :niceone:

curious george
14th February 2004, 17:26
Nice. Can you check the linkage. No workie.
Interested in a front one. :niceone:

ching_ching
14th February 2004, 18:49
Howzits CelticNo6,

Thanks for the great review. It's on the cards gotta get one. When I had the 250s when starting out used the ole 2 X 4 under the swingarm and leaning on the side stand but I think with this bike time to go proper.

Thanks again bro

ching_ching

georgedubyabush
14th February 2004, 19:32
I use a trolley jack under the rear shock linkage to get the rear in the air, then two car axle stands where the bobbins would go on the swingarm. Sturdy as, but a bit precarious getting it up and down, balancing the bike with one hand and pumping jack with the other. (almost put 'jacking with the other hand')
Can have the rear way in the air which makes it easy to get the lower fairings off in one piece.
To lube the chain I just jack up under the exhaust a little to get the rear an inch or so off the ground. Easy.

riffer
25th February 2004, 10:06
Nice. Can you check the linkage. No workie.
Interested in a front one. :niceone:
Website seems to be up again.

I'm still totally stoked with my one. Adjusted the chain last night.

Was an ABSOLUTE BITCH before using 2 scissor jacks and the wife refused to sit on my bike while I did it. Last time took me over an hour and I stressed the whole time.

Now she's happy to jump on board while I adjust the chain and the whole job takes about 10 minutes maximum!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Marmoot
26th February 2004, 10:22
Got the blue version (02 version? :) ) for more than a year now. Not a slightest hint of rust and still working very well.
Definitely a good buy if you have a big bike and no service stand, especially for the price. (what was that in Motomail? $250+?)

bungbung
26th February 2004, 10:24
Another nice stand is the Micron Deluxe rear stand, cost me $150 about 2 years ago. Made of 50mm tubing, wheels are about 80mm dia.

Can be universal fit, or with hooks to fit bobbins.