PDA

View Full Version : Bike Gear Buying Experience

Gontour
28th October 2005, 08:24
I went shopping for some bike gear last weekend for my Pillion (as apparently the pillion statistics are not favourable, partly due to the pillion being the wearer of the riders old gear), anyway I went along to motomail as they have very professional and knowledgeable staff along with a wide range of gear, however.....the prices do seem on the steep side, and after speaking to the salesman for a while there wasnt even a hint of a discount, which doesnt wear well (excuse the pun) with me, so we said we were just looking around and on our way.
Next stop was Cycletreads, and straight away discounts were being offered when i said I was looking for multiple items, which I think should be the way. So after extensive trying on gear by my partner we came away with a pair of Oxtar(very comfy)boots, $285, Spyke Cordura womens cut jacket $230-bargain, and AGV trousers $125-another bargain, all up a very productive and protective (hopefully never find out) experience.

Hope this helps people like myself out there looking for gear.

SuperDave
28th October 2005, 08:26
Yup. Treads in Barry's Point Road are always helpful and very well priced.

steved
28th October 2005, 08:27
I've found both are very good for gear. The Motomail sales can be very good but I like the 'one-stop-shop' nature of CycleTreads.

Gontour
28th October 2005, 08:34
The Motomail sales can be very good .

I actually went down to motomail on the strength of there advertised special of Jacket and Trousers combo, but all gone.....run out sale apparently, but no hint of this on the advert.

vifferman
28th October 2005, 08:42
I actually went down to motomail on the strength of there advertised special of Jacket and Trousers combo, but all gone.....run out sale apparently, but no hint of this on the advert.
You should've gone next door and spoken to Kerry - he sells jackets, pants, gloves, boots and helmets, and does combo deals. Or deals on anything. He's good like that. :niceone:
BTW - Motomail will give you a discount if you ask for it, e.g., "What price are we looking at if I buy this and this and that?"

Lou Girardin
28th October 2005, 08:51
The other side of the discount stories are those that say, "how about a discount if I buy a full set of kit". So I say OK. The full set of kit turns out to be a jacket and pants and they moan if the discount isn't forthcoming.

XTC
28th October 2005, 08:58
C'mon Lou we all know you work on a 250% mark up therefore should be able to offer a 100% discount. :killingme Can you tell that maths is not my strong point?

BTW what does every one think a reasonable discount on gear should be?? That way the shops will be able to load their prices by this amount to keep the discount seekers happy.

avgas
28th October 2005, 09:07
You should've gone next door and spoken to Kerry - he sells jackets, pants, gloves, boots and helmets, and does combo deals. Or deals on anything. He's good like that. :niceone:
BTW - Motomail will give you a discount if you ask for it, e.g., "What price are we looking at if I buy this and this and that?"
Cheers for that - didnt realise that Kerry sold gear now.
For those who dont know Kerry is a really good, straight up guy, he wont sell you anything shit that he will have to replace later on

Gontour
28th October 2005, 09:10
I am really not saying one shop is better than the other all i was doing was posting my experience, on the plus side for motomail they do have a greater range of womens gear, incidentally the prices i stated were the tagged prices and those prices were then reduced, but i decided not to post those as i'm sure they very a bit from person to person.
I appreciate retailers have to put there mark-up on items to survive and only the buyer will know what that mark-up is. The products on sale at motomail may have a lesser mark-up than cycletreads and I may have bought some lesser quality gear, or I may have got a good deal ?? I think if more prices that are posted will be good for starters like myself to get a realistic idea of what gear costs...... but I have been wrong before.

Motu
28th October 2005, 09:25
You do know how discount works? You don't get something for nothing,and no retailer will sell at a loss...unless it's been in stock for years and so out of style no one will buy it.When people ask me for a discount,I put the price up,if they ask again,then I put it up again.Finally they figure it out and I say,''shall we start again?'' but I'm a miserable old fashioned prick who thinks bargining belongs in 3rd world counties.

pyrocam
28th October 2005, 09:32
i spent maybe $600 worth on pants and boots at motomail last week.

im not impressed with the quality of my ReVit boots at all. but we all know I buy stuff on a whim all the time. ($800 of protective gear and other shit at motomail one lunch cos I nearly got hit the day before, $7k on a new bike 24 hours after my rgv broke)

vifferman
28th October 2005, 09:39
Cheers for that - didnt realise that Kerry sold gear now.
For those who dont know Kerry is a really good, straight up guy, he wont sell you anything shit that he will have to replace later on
He'll also get stuff in if he doesn't have it. I wanted a tank bag, and although he had several in stock, he rang up the supplier and got some other ones in so I had a selection of different ones to choose from.

Ixion
28th October 2005, 10:29
You do know how discount works? You don't get something for nothing,and no retailer will sell at a loss...unless it's been in stock for years and so out of style no one will buy it.When people ask me for a discount,I put the price up,if they ask again,then I put it up again.Finally they figure it out and I say,''shall we start again?'' but I'm a miserable old fashioned prick who thinks bargining belongs in 3rd world counties.

Maybe a bit different when one is buying a lot of stuff at once though ?

Motu
28th October 2005, 10:32
Yeah,that's kinda how it works,the more shit you sell the cheaper.If someone wants 200 WoFs at one time I'll discount them considerably....

Ixion
28th October 2005, 10:42
Yeah,that's kinda how it works,the more shit you sell the cheaper.If someone wants 200 WoFs at one time I'll discount them considerably....

Can you predate 'em. L'ss see - 3 cages, 3 bikes for say the next 20 years - , yeah, I'll take it. Never have to get another WOF.

250learna
28th October 2005, 10:58
Can you predate 'em. L'ss see - 3 cages, 3 bikes for say the next 20 years - , yeah, I'll take it. Never have to get another WOF.

im sure he means something like a deal with fleet vehicles etc... but nice try

but since we are on a subject of protective gear i think sidi vertigo is a great boot, not the cheepest boot you can pick up, but my leg is broken in 3 places yet my anckle still stands strong. got mine from motomart with a nice discount.

SPORK
28th October 2005, 11:13
im sure he means something like a deal with fleet vehicles etc... but nice try

but since we are on a subject of protective gear i think sidi vertigo is a great boot, not the cheepest boot you can pick up, but my leg is broken in 3 places yet my anckle still stands strong. got mine from motomart with a nice discount.
You work at PaS, right? How'd you crash? Yours is (was?) the ZXR-A with no tail fairing, right?

pritch
28th October 2005, 11:43
If someone wants 200 WoFs at one time I'll discount them considerably....

LOL made my lunch break :-)

Gremlin
29th October 2005, 18:07
Never really bought packages (partly because I can't stomach that kind of wallet hit...).

So I just wait for the sales, bit here, bit there etc. Saved heaps, best is getting Lou to help :2thumbsup I was itching for that last sale for 3 weeks beforehand.

The only thing is you have to learn what are actually sales. i.e. went to Motomail for their 'sale' and thought Visors were cheap at $60. So got one. Then go to AMPS to bug Lou about stuff, and find their regular price is $60. Boy they gave me flack when I admitted it :blank:

I reckon you can save heaps if you have a little patience and spot the year old gear that has been discounted and still not sold, so now it is clearance (although I bet shops still make money which just shows you...)

On the other hand, chopping and changing to get sales doesn't earn you loyalty with one shop and bigger discounts... so basically... umm... damn.

trumpy
29th October 2005, 19:32
Got in on the run out sale at Motomail....jacket, pants, helmet, griplock...and saved heeeps. Did find their boots a tad expensive though; bought the same ones locally (Taupo) for $30 less. I did find their service excellent and have since bought tank bag, soft panniers and Draggin jeans at excellent prices (did check elswhere) but if you want a discount you will have to ask....none was offered otherwise.
I have also dealt with Kerry next door...all round good guy. He will set you right with both gear and advice.

curious george
29th October 2005, 19:35
...after speaking to the salesman for a while there wasnt even a hint of a discount, which doesnt wear well (excuse the pun) with me, so we said we were just looking around and on our way.
Just so we start out on the right foot here, I like a good discount as much as the next chap, and I love an old stock bargain even more, but having done bit of time in retail, I can see both sides.
I've never understood the 'haggle' mentality of shoppers. If somethings is advertised for $100, where did the 'give ya $90 cash for it' arguement come from? How else were you going to pay? Used stamps?
I'm with Motu on this, and I've done the same. Product now costs $110.
I'm all for giving discounts to the needy, (schools?), but for your regular mug (me included), if a discount is given, surely it was too much in the first place, and from that point should stay at the lower price?
I've never turned a discount down, but I've never asked for one either.
Stupid, or ...... stupid? I don't really know.

If ya want to haggle, go to a 3rd word country. Or at least Henderson. :bleh:

sels1
29th October 2005, 19:53
[QUOTE=Gremlin]
On the other hand, chopping and changing to get sales doesn't earn you loyalty with one shop and bigger discounts...QUOTE]

True, I try to support my small local bikeshop as much as reasonably possible because a) I want him to stay in business so I have the convienience of a local workshop (instead of 50ks to Wgtn) and b) in developing a good ongoing relationship with one shop leads to better discounts and service and a few freebies etc.
Having said that I do buy gear in town (Wgtn) and find prices and service vary and the best deals are often at the smaller shops.
However today I did some different - I walked in to WMCC and paid full price for a pair of Draggin Jeans. Why? My concience got the better of me. I have never bought anything off them before but have been to a couple of their Demo days and at other times ridden quite a few of their bikes and spent a bit of time chatting to the salesmen. I thought it only fair to give them a bit of business to say thank you

Macktheknife
30th October 2005, 09:27
I have a preference for 'treads myself I find them consistently great for service and prices are always excellent.
Besides which they are my 'local' and they have always looked after me.They also look after my mates when I bring them in for good service and prices too. And if you are lucky they make a damn fine cuppa! :drinkup: :drinkup:

heavenly.talker
30th October 2005, 09:42
My experience of the two shops has been like yours too.
I found the one not on the North Shore to be filled with staff that did not want to help and when they came over after us browsing for 15 mins pushy.

Totally different experience with the crew on Barry's Point Road. They greet us by name, tell jokes, offer us coffee if we have been there a while, love to chat and swap bike experiences and always sharpen their pencils.

They appreciate return and introductions to new custom!!! They have my vote any day of the week and are considerably cheaper than those jumped up pricks over the bridge!

shadow
30th October 2005, 14:02
Ebay seems to be a good way to get gear i have just got some alpinestar gloves brand new at half the price quoted at shop and thats landed and in 9 days from uk, and shop had to order them anyway. havnt been stung yet and mates have had some hot deals too. i dont like bike shops attitudes when you go in with kids seem to think your are a broken arse and dont giv you time of day or book test rides.but in saying that cycletreads chch are realy good so im happy to suport them.

Lou Girardin
31st October 2005, 07:09
I also used to buy at certain places due to loyalty or previous good service even if they weren't the cheapest.

heavenly.talker
31st October 2005, 09:11
I also used to buy at certain places due to loyalty or previous good service even if they weren't the cheapest.

Totally agree with this Lou!
Service is the most key ingredient in my buying experience. I don't get a friendly hi, then I walk.

Swoop
15th November 2005, 21:35
I went shopping for some bike gear last weekend for my Pillion (as apparently the pillion statistics are not favourable, partly due to the pillion being the wearer of the riders old gear), anyway I went along to motomail as they have very professional and knowledgeable staff along with a wide range of gear, however.....the prices do seem on the steep side, and after speaking to the salesman for a while there wasnt even a hint of a discount, which doesnt wear well (excuse the pun) with me, so we said we were just looking around and on our way.
Next stop was Cycletreads, and straight away discounts were being offered when i said I was looking for multiple items, which I think should be the way. So after extensive trying on gear by my partner we came away with a pair of Oxtar(very comfy)boots, $285, Spyke Cordura womens cut jacket $230-bargain, and AGV trousers $125-another bargain, all up a very productive and protective (hopefully never find out) experience.

Hope this helps people like myself out there looking for gear.

I agree totally with your original comments and that of later postings - Cycletreads on the shore are pretty darn good. I'm happy to go back there anytime.

Swoop
15th November 2005, 21:38
If ya want to haggle, go to a 3rd word country. Or at least Henderson. :bleh:

New Zealand IS a third world country!... bloody politicians have made it that way years ago.:blink:

RT527
5th April 2006, 22:19
Yup I`ll have to say Cycletreads are awesome, I got boots jacket, gloves, pants and a helmet for $695.
Need to get it this week so I can get to wellington to pick up me bike:niceone:

surfchick
6th April 2006, 12:46
hey good on you for betting some proper gear for your pillion. they need to be snug as a bug in a rug or they won't come on rides with and keep your back warm and put their arms around your middle...:devil2: