PDA

View Full Version : No bite in the front brakes.

Magua
28th October 2005, 16:04
I've got no bite from the front brakes until I pull the lever in quite some distance. I think I'm going to need to replace the fluid and the pads but I thought I'd chuck some photos of the pads on here to confirm my suspicions. (sp).

sAsLEX
28th October 2005, 16:09
pads look ok to me, flush the current fluid out of there and re bleed should be enough.

Tip though, when you buy the Brake fluid dont ride back home with it resting on the tank! :mellow:

scooterboynz
28th October 2005, 16:43
yep pads look fine , but are they new ones? or have they been in the calipers for a while? maybe they are just cheap nasty pads? i take it your bike has only one front disk? yep change the fluid for starters , process of elimination try one thing at a time

Indiana_Jones
28th October 2005, 17:06
Tip though, when you buy the Brake fluid dont ride back home with it resting on the tank! :mellow:

lol thanks for the tip :D

-Indy

Magua
28th October 2005, 20:08

Umm yeah, thanks. :sunny:

stocky
29th October 2005, 13:04
yeah it sounds like a brake fluid flush is in need... brake fluid is hydroscopic... which means it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere over time, ideally you should change ur bake fluid ever 18 months to 2 years but no one does. i think brake fluid should fix the prob :) and make sure u fluch all the old stuff out or ur wastin ur time

Bonez
29th October 2005, 13:43
Pistons may need a degung as well.

sAsLEX
29th October 2005, 13:50
yeah it sounds like a brake fluid flush is in need... brake fluid is hydroscopic... which means it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere over time, ideally you should change ur bake fluid ever 18 months to 2 years but no one does. i think brake fluid should fix the prob :) and make sure u fluch all the old stuff out or ur wastin ur time

would suggest more often than that! it only take about 5 minutes to do the front and only costs 10 bucks or so, so would suggest at least yearly, I noticed the difference in mine after about 9 months when they where getting quite bad and a fluid change had them back to perfect!

stocky
30th October 2005, 08:37
would suggest more often than that! it only take about 5 minutes to do the front and only costs 10 bucks or so, so would suggest at least yearly, I noticed the difference in mine after about 9 months when they where getting quite bad and a fluid change had them back to perfect!

that of course is good but not necessary but by all means do it as often as u like

quickbuck
5th November 2005, 13:54
How old are your brake lines? Do they swell when you pull on the leaver. These too are lifed items, and should be replaced after time (But nobody does).

Magua
5th November 2005, 15:44
How old are your brake lines? Do they swell when you pull on the leaver. These too are lifed items, and should be replaced after time (But nobody does).

Bike sold a few days ago, turned out that the adjustment screw had undone itself. Should of been the first thing I checked.

GSVR
5th November 2005, 16:00
Those don't look like sintered brake pads so they wont have much bite anyway. If you want really good bite buy some that say something like high fiction sintered.