PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible or real even?!

DebK
14th February 2004, 17:49
Can't remember where I found this pic (oissible Aloinestars site) but 'tis beeotyfool!

I know little about circuit bikes but surely the suspension can't handle this kind of carry-on?

Zed
14th February 2004, 17:59
Can't remember where I found this pic (oissible Aloinestars site) but 'tis beeotyfool!

I know little about circuit bikes but surely the suspension can't handle this kind of carry-on?
Wow, I'd like to learn that move! :msn-wink:

I rather think it's some stunt or the beginnings of an out-of-control crash?

Zed

bluninja
15th February 2004, 06:53
Wow, I'd like to learn that move! :msn-wink:

I rather think it's some stunt or the beginnings of an out-of-control crash?

Zed
The really really fast riders get both wheels off at the top of the mountain at Cadwell Park circuit in the UK, mortals just have the front coming off the ground.
Depending on your suspension and how you land a road bike will do it, but you may blow your fork seals (as with wheelies). I'll stick to working on rubber side down and both wheels in contact with the road.

Deano
15th February 2004, 08:45
Deb, have you watched any of the bike racing in Northern Ireland. There was some on a few months ago and the riders were completely on the edge - bikes squirreling around over bumps etc (on a road circuit - no runoffs just like Isle of Man).

Many were getting airborne in some parts, headshakes, the works, all at mach 9.

Very exciting to watch !!

wkid_one
15th February 2004, 10:38

Suspension isn't the problem, it is your chain snapping.

Many of the riders will get airbourne on the IMOTT race over the bridges and crests.

Also - it is common to see pics of the MotoGP and SBK riders getting airbourne of the ripple strips on the race tracks when cutting tight lines.

Hitcher
15th February 2004, 12:52
Suspension isn't the problem, it is your chain snapping.

Many of the riders will get airbourne on the IMOTT race over the bridges and crests.

Also - it is common to see pics of the MotoGP and SBK riders getting airbourne of the ripple strips on the race tracks when cutting tight lines.

Neither of those thumbnails is going to end well...

wkid_one
15th February 2004, 13:04
Truely - ya think???

Have seen the whole video of the one on the motorwar and it was not pretty. He was doing a wheel stand that got away on him

SPman
15th February 2004, 22:00
Performance Bikes - FZR400
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65

Coldkiwi
16th February 2004, 11:29
as cool as motoX air stunts are, seeing a full airborne road bike (and I don't count Torque!) is AWESOME. Respect for riders that have the guts to take hills at that speed and the skill to land them.

Deebeeriz
16th February 2004, 21:42
is it possible to post mpegs on this site or is their a files section i have downloaded a couple of bike clips but I cant remember the sites that a worth a look.

SPman
16th February 2004, 22:36
is it possible to post mpegs on this site or is their a files section i have downloaded a couple of bike clips but I cant remember the sites that a worth a look.
Doesnt look like it
Unless Spank changes things, we'll have to rely on this
http://www.blackfootonline.com/videos/2004/CKB_Motorbike_Crash_002.mpeg (http://www.blackfootonline.com/videos/2004/CKB_Motorbike_Crash_002.mpeg)

Coldkiwi
17th February 2004, 11:47
Doesnt look like it
http://www.blackfootonline.com/videos/2004/CKB_Motorbike_Crash_002.mpeg (http://www.blackfootonline.com/videos/2004/CKB_Motorbike_Crash_002.mpeg)

ooooo dear. oooooooooo DEAR! that is NASTY

Hoon
17th February 2004, 15:07
Wow never seen anyone get so much air from a low side before!

Nice how he gets a bit of a "boost" from the rear of the tumbling bike!!! Extra style points there :)

Coldkiwi
18th February 2004, 11:36
hope that guy was wearing a BIG back protector. I'm sure I can see the body bounce after he lands on his back down the hill

White trash
18th February 2004, 12:02
Hows this? Make your own mind wether it's real or not.

DEATH_INC.
18th February 2004, 13:46
Hows this? Make your own mind wether it's real or not.

AHA! I've seen the first pic before......The ramp you see in the second makes it all clear......
Road bikes aren't that hard to jump,I've had pretty much all of mine in the air at some stage.....not real high,but then you would have to be pretty keen to try more than a couple of feet......things hit the ground when you land..... :doh:

bungbung
18th February 2004, 14:01
......things hit the ground when you land.....

Be wary of snappy swingarms...

back wheel landings on gsx400x cracked swingarm, also cracks from same kind of treatment on a nifty fifty stress, fractures in thin wall engine cover/swing arm thingy

MD
18th February 2004, 18:36
OK, now I'm puzzled too. Getting air time in a straight line works.How can these Guys expect to land a bike thats also leaned over, getting sideways and the road turns. Good trick if it works!

onearmedbandit
18th February 2004, 20:03
Those two pix, the last two, are for real. I've got about 3 vids on my comp of these guys jumping road bikes (out of probably 5hrs of bike footage. Just ask for the links if you want)

DEATH_INC.
19th February 2004, 06:43
OK, now I'm puzzled too. Getting air time in a straight line works.How can these Guys expect to land a bike thats also leaned over, getting sideways and the road turns. Good trick if it works!

You just lean into the turn-like normal-and just make sure you land with the power on,at least a bit....if the road turns you want the bike to be a bit sideways so you can start the turn while still in the air.

cruzer
19th February 2004, 11:51
Doesnt look like it
Ouch!-Ouch!

SILVER SUZI
20th February 2004, 11:45
I've had both wheels off the ground. Not intentionally. But theres a short street running between Neilson and Church which has a railway line running across it. I slowed but it's quite severe and I didn't slow enough. Without trying I got airborne, but as I wasn't trying I didn't stand up on the pegs. The landing wasn't what I call comfy.
:doh:
Havn't been back to do it again with more intention. Like others here I just want to ride my bike, not wreck it!

White trash
20th February 2004, 12:00
I've had both wheels off the ground. Not intentionally. But theres a short street running between Neilson and Church which has a railway line running across it. I slowed but it's quite severe and I didn't slow enough. Without trying I got airborne, but as I wasn't trying I didn't stand up on the pegs. The landing wasn't what I call comfy.
:doh:
Havn't been back to do it again with more intention. Like others here I just want to ride my bike, not wreck it!

GSX750F is a bloody heavy bike to be Motorcrossing, S/Suzi :Punk:

Coldkiwi
20th February 2004, 16:43
yer... i've been taken by surprise by some bumps in the road and one bitch of a ridge (smales road crossing Chapel road in Botany!) that have been 'uncomfortable'. It's at those times I reflect on the hallensteins slogan and think there are sometimes exceptions!!

wkid_one
20th February 2004, 16:51
yer... i've been taken by surprise by some bumps in the road and one bitch of a ridge (smales road crossing Chapel road in Botany!) that have been 'uncomfortable'. It's at those times I reflect on the hallensteins slogan and think there are sometimes exceptions!!
Also - the last bridge before you hit Clevedon coming from Maraitai and a couple of the bridges on the way to Kaiaua

Firefight
20th February 2004, 17:54
[QUOTE=SILVER SUZI]I've had both wheels off the ground. Not intentionally. But theres a short street running between Neilson and Church which has .....

yeah I think that may be Galway St, had a small scare there once, also seen a Boy racer with a lowrider rip his exhaust off on those tracks :bash:

Firefight :cool:

Motu
20th February 2004, 18:45
Lots of streets in Auckland we used to get air time on - last week I got the XT in the air on George st - that's the one that cuts between Dominion rd and New Nth rd...down hill over the rails.Kingdon st at the bottom of Kyber Pass was always a bit of fun too.But the best was always the rail crossing in Church st,gone now - lots of speed and a big thump...we used to hit our heads on the roof of our cars! I have been airborne at the bottom of the Neilson st bridge - over the top and hard into the bump at the bottom...leaned over but just floating out to the curb on the center island,a good foot to spare,but felt a hell of a lot less.

Out of town the bridges to Kaiawa are fun - I passed half a doz wimpy sports bikes on the first bridge one day on the XLV750...carried the front wheel in a small power stand as I went by,dickheads...don't they know what bridges are for.Heading down into the Riverhead Forrest the fat and soft Honda gets very light and wobbles big time as I go up and over that small rise and turn left at the same time - I seem to go a bit slower now I know why it does it,I was blaming the bike,not realising it was not actualy on the ground.Same going up.

One lane bridges on gravel roads are good launching pads,but you need to have a good run off,I got caught out once at night on the XLV750 when I saw the road turned hard right while I was still in the air - I don't know how I got that tank turned,but we did it.

SPman
20th February 2004, 20:10
The series of humped bridges heading north out of Kawakawa are good for this....

speedpro
22nd February 2004, 20:34
The old Gracefield race circuit was good for jumping over the railway line hump, but I do seem to remember a monumental crash in which I think it was Kerry Larkin was killed over it. Good fun apart from that though. On the other side of the circuit there was a nice little drop off as the road kinked right past a side road where you could pick the front up with enough power as you were cranked over turning right. I remember a German guy on an RG500 being impressed with me passing him round the outside there with the front wheel about a foot in the air probably at about 160K. At Wanganui it isn't too hard to get at least one wheel off the ground through the cemetary esses over the road camber as you change direction. Good fun on the road as well but I shudder to think what the cops would do if you were caught.

SPman
23rd February 2004, 08:02
The end of back straight at Paeroa yesterday,where it crosses the second road, the fast boys were getting both wheels in the air, only a 100mm or so, but they would be doing 180-200k and had to get on the brakes as they landed for the kink before the pub. Some interesting views of instability on that section!
Also, of course, theres the Hughendon st crossing at the top of the back straight.Always good for wheelies, highsides, and general excitement!

White trash
24th February 2004, 11:17
I wanna be able to do this!

Jackrat
24th February 2004, 12:59
Head out of Te Awamutu on the back road to Otrohanga an you will come across a bridge about a Km out of town, Hit that sucker hard an you will see more air than you ever want to.Go on I dear ya,Just don't forget to write us all from hospital. :msn-wink:

White trash
24th February 2004, 13:01
:eek: I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE! :gob: