PDA

View Full Version : MX boots

kro
29th October 2005, 17:51
I have been riding road bikes since 1987, and have grown used to light road boots. I am looking to buy a trail bike, and go adventuring on the millions of tracks in and around Nelson, but have a major issue with big heavy MX boots.

I tried some Fox Trackers, and Thor Quadrants today, and the guy at the bike shop said the Quads were "as light as it gets", and I thought I had an elephant strapped to each foot.

Can anyone tell me what a good lightweight boot is, or if they even exist.

Would REALLY appreciate some help on this.

XTC
29th October 2005, 20:03
You could try the Forma GT boots if it's just an adventure riding boot you're after. See their add in the kiwi Rider (Forbes and Davies Showcase) But these offer only a little ankle protection. If you are doing trail riding and jumps etc get a good pair of MX boots and go to the Gym so you have the strength to walk in them. Once riding you do not notice the weight and will be thankful for the extra protection.

Motu
29th October 2005, 20:15
I'm the opposite to you - I've been wearing off road boots for so long that road boots feel like wearing carpet slippers to me,I'm too scared to put my feet into them! Try some trials boots,they are lighter and more flexible than an MX boot,with a grippy sole,but still offer very good protection.

kro
30th October 2005, 09:05
Cool, thanks guys, apprerciate that.

Adamski
21st June 2006, 00:30
Yeah this is a tricky question - so did you come up with a winner?

I am looking for similar boots - want something slightly lighter than MX boots, but still protective :yes: . I'm interested in the Sidi Discovery boots - any opinions on those out there?

chris
21st June 2006, 08:50
Stylmartin Quad

SDU
21st June 2006, 12:52
I got use to MX boots first, but when I replaced them I ended up getting some trails boots which were a bit lighter and more a bit more flexible (not like in concrete boot) they have lasted me well had them for approx 4 years now. Can't read the label to see what they were sorry.
Recently I updated my road boots with Gaerne boots that are a little adventure orientated, similar to the explorer. Found them comfy & able to wear under the pants instead off over and they have held up so far with adventure rides but I still throw the trails on for serious tracks to keep the new ones tidy for pubs etc.
They have a good selection that you might find something that dones the job for you.
http://www.gaerne.com/touring.asp?sezione=touring

chris
21st June 2006, 13:40
Here's a pic of the Stylmartin Quad. I use them, they are a good boot.

scott411
21st June 2006, 15:42
Gearne do a nice trials boot which would suit what you are after,they are much eaiser to move around in than MX boots which are made to lock up your ankle, they are about $350, if you can't find any give me a yell and i can send them down, i doubt you will find a shop that stocks them

zarinat
11th July 2006, 10:03
Gaerne RX or the new Cyphers are pretty good & supple"ish" but do remember, hitting a tree root with your big toe at 80kph aint no fun at the best of times. The trials boots are very supple but the emphasis is on control, not major crash proofness. it will take about 3 or 4 rides to get used to the feel (or lack of) with good mx/enduro boots. Try the tech 10's & youll really feel alien ...but theyre nuke proof

kro
14th July 2006, 21:43
Yeah this is a tricky question - so did you come up with a winner?

I am looking for similar boots - want something slightly lighter than MX boots, but still protective :yes: . I'm interested in the Sidi Discovery boots - any opinions on those out there?

Diadora MX3's were the go, 140 bux new, light, tough, and rather sexy with alloy buckles.

Danger
14th July 2006, 23:08
If riding in the woods you don't want anything too light. Man I have hit some tree stumps that I haven't seen and lord it feels like I've broken my toes or my foot several times in the past year! This is with Diadora Crossbows. Just today my new pair of Berik OVS arrived from the States (Thumpertalk had a special on them) and they are alot stronger in the toe and foot area and this protection is needed if your going to hit anything and don't like pain. I,m wearing them now ha ha trying to break them in a little.

sAsLEX
14th July 2006, 23:32
I,m wearing them now ha ha trying to break them in a little.

We had to run up and down the beach in the surf to break our boots in lol

another good way is to get them wet, go have a shower in them!