PDA

View Full Version : Sump plug washers

curious george
29th October 2005, 18:01
Ok, I know you are supposed to use a new one each time you remove it, and being a good boy scout, I would never reuse it... :whistle:
So, do you go OEM, or are the copper or allow washers you can get from Repco (considerably cheaper) sufficient?
The OEM ones are a crush type, helping to seal, and not to overtighten. (my guess).
What's recommended by the mechs here?

Bonez
29th October 2005, 18:20
Ok, I know you are supposed to use a new one each time you remove it, Who told you that?

sAsLEX
29th October 2005, 18:40
Who told you that?

says so in me Haynes manual.

Bonez
29th October 2005, 18:45
Tis crap. No need to change it unless it's so deformed it doesn't seal properly. Been using the same sump washer on the Fc2 for the last 19 years. Not to mention the one on the cb550 I owned for the same length of time- lived on 2 sumps in fact after the first one got cracked.

Ixion
29th October 2005, 19:52
What Mr Bonez said.

curious george
30th October 2005, 20:37
Really? OK then,that's what I have been doing without any problems, just wondered if it was a terrible thing to do.
Aren't bike shops supposed to change to a new one though?
WHen the original is damaged, just use an alloy one? Or is copper better?
Cheers guys

Ixion
30th October 2005, 20:57
I suspect bike shops put a new one because they can charge you for it, they're not too dear, and it covers their arses in case anything ever goes wrong - stops some smart shit lawyer trying to infer they did a cheapy job. Professional mechanics often do stuff that is not really strictly necessary just to make sure no one can point a finger at them

I'd say myself , alu for plugs threaded directly into alu, copper for steel, iron seats (ie where there's a steel boss cast into the cases). But that's only my guess - whatever the manufacturers says I suppose is the answer.

Buster
30th October 2005, 21:06
I suspect bike shops put a new one because they can charge you for it, they're not too dear, and it covers their arses in case anything ever goes wrong - stops some smart shit lawyer trying to infer they did a cheapy job. Professional mechanics often do stuff that is not really strictly necessary just to make sure no one can point a finger at them

I'd say myself , alu for plugs threaded directly into alu, copper for steel, iron seats (ie where there's a steel boss cast into the cases). But that's only my guess - whatever the manufacturers says I suppose is the answer.

Exactly spot on... Bike shops need to cover there arses.. The actual washers last for years. Just make sure you use the right materials for the job. Electrolisis can eat into any material.

curious george
31st October 2005, 07:17
Righto. Cheers guys.
I do wonder about the bike shop though... I've never been charged for one.
Anyway, another disaster averted

Motu
31st October 2005, 09:25
I keep 3 boxes of assorted sump plug washes,ally,copper,fibre and everything inbetween,but we only replace if they are mangled.