PDA

View Full Version : Some training action from Ruapuna

miSTa
29th October 2005, 21:01
Here's some action from todays (29-10-05) training day at Ruapuna. The photo is my just turned 14 year old daughter riding a bike (rg150) for only the second time. The first time was also at Ruapuna a few weeks ago.

The video is of Rashika (good to catch up with you and Dangerous - even if it was a bit late in the day) and her Buell on a braking exercise :niceone:. Very nice sounding bike btw.

Looks like all there had a great day. What was interesting was the number of woman riders - they're taking over :headbang:

Rashika
30th October 2005, 06:05
Awesome video ZZR! Damn glad it was the 2nd run, cos I completely fkd up the first one, using the back brake only :crybaby:
oh and yeah the bike next to me was SuziQ on the R6
It went like this: I took off, SuziQ didn't, so i got distracted, hit the rev limiter in first , thought WTF, then forgot to change up, and though oh fk it and braked a bit early, oh well.
2nd run was using the front brake only....
and was almost perfect
Damn didn't the bike sound good though?? :apumpin:
Awesome day, apart from the rain in the arvo which spoilt it abit, I'd go back out in a flash!
And really nice to meet up with the young ones, esp. ZZr and his Daughter and another guy who had his daughter out there as well, she did really well for her first EVER time on a bike! Started round the pit area and then onto the track, damn good girl! We''ll see you both racing very soon I'd say :spudwave: (I'm an itty bitty jealous I didn't get the same opprtunities at their age, but chuffed to see them there)
Some pics that dangerous took...he's a novice photographer but got some good shots i reckon :niceone:
Pic 1: my buell
Pic 2: SuziQ's R6
Pic 3: Our Tainer Jon Lowther showing a few of the trainees a few things on his bike...damn he was good :whistle:
Pic 4: SuziQ in full flight
Pic 5: Me doing it too
Pic 6: Jon following trainee Simon on the Aprillia

TonyB
30th October 2005, 06:19
Great pics D, and great vid ZZR.... was there a lawn mower running in the back ground?

Rashika
30th October 2005, 06:22
Great pics D, and great vid ZZR.... was there a lawn mower running in the back ground?
nope didn't see no lawnmower, though lots of those annoying wee 150s buzzing around :whistle: :headbang:

TonyB
30th October 2005, 06:33
nope didn't see no lawnmower, though lots of those annoying wee 150s buzzing around :whistle: :headbang:
I was trying to insult your Buell....

Actually it sounded wicked :headbang:

I did this training day a few years back. Did they limit you to 100k like it says on the instruction sheets or was it a hard out drag? We were told to just nail it. On my second run I got a bit enthusiastic and locked the front wheel at well over 100k. I have a bad habit of freezing when such things happen, so I went for some distance with it locked up, the bike was starting to go over and it "looked like you were gone for all money" according to the instructor when I FINALLY decided to let go of the brake. I thought I was gonna fall off too! All I could think about was the instructors saying every year after that "Now be careful. Once there was this tosser on an FZR1000....."

miSTa
30th October 2005, 06:52
Nobody had any dramas with the braking at all, although one person on a bucket should have a serious flat spot on their rear tyre - was locked up for a good 20 meteres or more.

The video turned out pretty good seeing how it was taken on my digital camera (Canon A95). Rashika, if you want a copy of the original (resolution 640x480 and a shade over 5megs) send me a PM and I'll send you a copy from work.

k14
30th October 2005, 07:04
Nah some inconsiderate prick on a hardley davidson :whistle:

dangerous
30th October 2005, 19:32
Ok, it wasent a bad day at all.... big thanks to SuzyQ and Rashika for the use of their bikes, it was bloody good value considering I wasent ment to be on the track... but help was needed with the young guns some of them needing one on one help, so I followed and lead a few of them.... and I was bloody well impressed with their efforts. These guys n girls aged from 11 up.

Young Maria (14) who had never ridden before saw her dad can off on his 2nd lap due to a massive oil slick on the track and was very put off by it... but tell ya what by the end of the day she was on the track (after a lot of circuts of the car park and refusing to change gear) and doing bloody well :apumpin:

Lowther did a good job with his 5 students including SuzyQ & Rashika, you girls did well too :headbang:
Good to meet new KBer ZZR and his daughter (sorry no pics)

pic 1) 71 Honda SS50 that Jessie was riding (11yr old)
2) Maria (14yr)
3) Sean (13yr)
4) Maria going well
5) John (69yr) on a 79 BMW
6) Me on the Buell :niceone:

Rashika
31st October 2005, 05:57
I was trying to insult your Buell...
shit were you? :dodge: Why?

Actually it sounded wicked :headbang:
course it does :headbang:

I did this training day a few years back. Did they limit you to 100k like it says on the instruction sheets or was it a hard out drag?

umm 100kms? ....ummm nope!

All I could think about was the instructors saying every year after that "Now be careful. Once there was this tosser on an FZR1000....."
yeah I can imagine them using you as an example of what NOT to do! :whistle:
actually what is REALLY funny is that Jon told us that he actually does use SuziQ as an example of what not to do in the rain...not that she did anything wrong, just got him a little freaked at how fast she was going in the rain :niceone: girl!

miSTa
31st October 2005, 08:11
I forgot to post this picture of the juniors on Saturday. They were assembled as part of a photoshoot by a professional photographer.

DMNTD
31st October 2005, 08:20
Looked like a great day had :niceone:
Have to say your bike sounds gorgeous too :devil2:

HenryDorsetCase
31st October 2005, 11:57
that does it, Im buying a Buell.

rather than go the bank loan/slap it on the mortgage route, I think I'll stick up a bank or restaurant (sorry watched Pulp Fiction again last night... "Say "What" AGAIN"...).

Who's with me?

Rashika
31st October 2005, 12:24
I forgot to post this picture of the juniors on Saturday. They were assembled as part of a photoshoot by a professional photographer.

:niceone: very cool seeing them all together like that! Wish I'd seen that, would have snuck a shot off too!

mini_me
31st October 2005, 16:59
that does it, Im buying a Buell.

rather than go the bank loan/slap it on the mortgage route, I think I'll stick up a bank or restaurant (sorry watched Pulp Fiction again last night... "Say "What" AGAIN"...).

Who's with me?

[after jules shoots the dude on the couch in the opening minutes]
Oh I'm sorry did I break your concentration, Please continue

HenryDorsetCase
31st October 2005, 17:42
Jules to Brad "Allow me to retort"

Suzi Q
31st October 2005, 19:29
Had a cool day on Saturday. i was using the day as a good way to get to know the R6 in a safe, controlled environment. it worked. i am much more comfortable about what we can do together - man and machine - woops, woman and machine as one!!! :not:
I did a training day in 2003 on the Suz GSX750F - had a blast and it rained that day as well. In total did about 150kms including to and from the track to home. We had John Hepburn, Brian Bernard and John Lowther as trainers and we rode as a group and had theory as a group. there was video as well. i didn't get as much individual attention - from all those lovely racers - but it was still a fantastic day that I learnt heaps from. In reagrds to the rain incident - mentioned by rashika - I had been getting faster and faster all day, i was concerned about the rain and voiced my feelings about not liking riding in the rain but I went back out on the track. I was going round and round, alot slower but smoothly or so I though, actually I was thinking when are they going to follow me, pass me, show me the lines and give me feedback. Iw as swearing away in my helmet, I was kanckered, my hands were sore and I was wet and finally john Lowther passed me and showed me some lines and pulled me over. he told me I was doing fine, nothing to worry about and I was a natural in the wet. Finding out I was going very quickly and he is using me occassionally as an example was a surprise, I just remember being tired and wet thinking I was going really slowly!
I have a couple of gripes about Saturday - I have nothing against the youngsters on their little buzzy bikes but i would have preferred they had their own day, i only had 2 & 1/2 sessions on the track, i needed more track time. I could have gone abck out on the track after the braking session and when the youngster came off after that, but it was wet and my hubby was in akaroa, so I made an executive decision to leave. i think Rashika said she only did 5 more laps so it didn't matter. I love the trainging day idea as I thought I would have the whole day on the track, unlike have a go days where you have to wait your turn. But I did like the new format where we were assigned a trainer for a group and having 5 in the group with John Lowther as the trainer was fantastic - he is a cool guy - comes up with weird questions - how do you brake? But cool none the less. I t doesn'ft hurt that he isn't bad looking and a genuine nice guy!!! :headbang:

Biff
31st October 2005, 22:59
I have a couple of gripes about Saturday - I have nothing against the youngsters on their little buzzy bikes but i would have preferred they had their own day, i only had 2 & 1/2 sessions on the track, i needed more track time. I could have gone abck out on the track after the braking session and when the youngster came off after that, but it was wet and my hubby was in akaroa, so I made an executive decision to leave. i think Rashika said she only did 5 more laps so it didn't matter.

You should write them a letter saying pretty much what you've just said above mate. It be constructive criticism be that.

Glad to hear you're getting to grips with the R6. Now we really will have to ride hard in order to keep up with you through Ti Tap (or however you spell it.)!:spudbooge

Suzi Q
1st November 2005, 19:30
You should write them a letter saying pretty much what you've just said above mate. It be constructive criticism be that.

Glad to hear you're getting to grips with the R6. Now we really will have to ride hard in order to keep up with you through Ti Tap (or however you spell it.)!:spudbooge

Yes I am writing to Canterbury Motorcycling about the day - they do need to get feedback to let them know what we think of their organised events - good and bad. :niceone:

_Gina_
1st November 2005, 19:45
This thread is one that is "biking" through & through. Thanks!