PDA

View Full Version : How many license classes do you hold?

Motu
15th February 2004, 19:08
Got stopped on saturday night for doing 80 in a 50kph zone in my car,wife and kids aboard - I got away with no ticket :eek5: But I was suprised when the cop looked at my license - WOW! what license don't you have he said....just hero worship that got me off.

I have classes 1,2,3,4,5,6....don't know what they all mean,but I have car,bike,truck and trailer.I consider that quite normal,but obviously this cop hardly ever sees that many classes in license checks - so what classes do we hold on this board,just bikes,or maybe a whole lot more?

What?
15th February 2004, 19:11
I have classes 1,2,3,4,5,6....
Me too. Stuffed if I'd want to go through getting them all now, though - apparently it takes 5 years to get class 5!

bluninja
15th February 2004, 19:13
Got stopped on saturday night for doing 80 in a 50kph zone in my car,wife and kids aboard - I got away with no ticket :eek5: But I was suprised when the cop looked at my license - WOW! what license don't you have he said....just hero worship that got me off.

I have classes 1,2,3,4,5,6....don't know what they all mean,but I have car,bike,truck and trailer.I consider that quite normal,but obviously this cop hardly ever sees that many classes in license checks - so what classes do we hold on this board,just bikes,or maybe a whole lot more?
I've got the lot too.

Andrew
15th February 2004, 19:18
I would guess 90% of us hold classes 1 and 6. All the other classes just take too much time and money to complete.

Firefight
15th February 2004, 19:31
Got 1,2,3,4,5,6,F,T

Firefight

Andrew
15th February 2004, 19:37
Got 1,2,3,4,5,6,F,T

Firefight

WTF? Apparently everybody does have licenses to kill, fly planes, etc. Whats up with that?

Zed
15th February 2004, 19:38

I only have classes 1 & 6 because I've never needed any others. I trust you guys with more license classes have them because you have needed to use them at one time or another. There's no other point to having them is there? :wacko:

I worked with a guy who had every license listed! It was quite impressive to see his old paper type license with A,B,C,D,E,F,G...he was in his 60's and had owned trucks & taxis, etc. He was one of those guys who always had a story to tell, his opening line would be "I remember the day..."!

Zed

Indiana_Jones
15th February 2004, 19:48
just class 6 :niceone:

-Indy

Shade
15th February 2004, 19:56
Whoa, whats with everyone holding every licence under the sun!

I've got 1 and 6 :P

marty
15th February 2004, 19:57
i've got 1, 2 and 6. can get by on most things with those classes. any more just cost unnecessary cash to renew. wouldn't mind getting a class 5 though, opens options for part time driving if the need arises.

here's the link if you're not sure what they all mean:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/heavy/index.html

Motu
15th February 2004, 20:53
The new classes aren't exactly what I sat licenses for,but it doesn't really matter,I drive the odd truck,but doubt if I'll ever drive a B train these days - you hope ! I guess it must be a lot harder to get different classes these days,more regs,tuition,vehicle hire....so people are less inclined to just add something extra to a license - I was just suprised at his suprise at what I consider pretty basic classes to hold.I drove lots of tractors on the road without a license,but not many had a license for them,so guess thats why it has been dropped.We were building a new tow truck when new licenses and regs came in,so we dropped the whole idea.

My father had everything,but sat nothing,common in those days....he drove more oddball stuff than I ever have.

riffer
15th February 2004, 21:02
I feel so inferior - just the 1, 6.

Had em both for 18 years now. I was a late starter to the whole licensing thing and it was when the cops started telling me they were going to book me that I went and got legal at age 19.

I guess time have changed - you wouldn't get away with it now...

SPman
15th February 2004, 21:47
Im feeling inferior too - only got 1 2 4 6 F R W !.....Also PPl, Firearms, Ramset, PADI Advanced Scuba etc,bla bla bla.(or are we only talking vehicle licences here) :rolleyes:

wari
16th February 2004, 07:26
1 2 4 6 F R T W ... Whats 3 and 5 ... I better go 'em !

MikeL
16th February 2004, 07:37
As a matter of interest does anyone here have a PPL? I started to learn years ago but didn't get far because of the cost. Thinking about taking it up again.

Oscar
16th February 2004, 08:18
Here's a picture showing Motu using his "squid" licence catergory....

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/719734-L-1.jpg

(He's the one pushing)http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/naughty.gif http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/FLIPA.gif

Wenier
16th February 2004, 08:24
i have classes 1 and 6 for car and bike. 1 to 6 means you can use a car bike and the biggest truck

Wenier
16th February 2004, 08:27
2-5 are all different classes of truck going by the weights the truck can do. 2 being your small truck and 5 being your semi truck

Hitcher
16th February 2004, 08:46
1, 2, 4, 6

Slingshot
16th February 2004, 08:57
As a matter of interest does anyone here have a PPL? I started to learn years ago but didn't get far because of the cost. Thinking about taking it up again.

My Mum has hers, she crashed while she was learning and was in hospital for months but then went on to become one of the top women pilots (that was a while ago now though). I don't think she done her ratings lately so it's probably lapsed now.

SPman
16th February 2004, 09:17
Got mine in '69, (wanted to be an Ag pilot :laugh: ) let it all lapse when family arrived and it all got to silly and expensive! Dont think I've flown since my mate with a plane, died! (Cheapskate to the end!)

MikeL
16th February 2004, 10:27
That's all very encouraging...
:(

riffer
16th February 2004, 12:42
That's all very encouraging...
:(

Oh, I don't know Mike.

Sounds a lot like motorcycling doesn't it?
:yeah:

I guess it pays to start off on an old, slow plane as well. maybe...

... cause it may just be that you'll crash it...

Big Dog
16th February 2004, 17:01
1 2 4 6 F R T W ... Whats 3 and 5 ... I better go 'em !
1=Tin top
2=Light truck
3=Heavy truck
4=light trailer
5=Heavy trailer
6=Motorcycle
F=forklift. :shake:

I have all the above.
Under the old classes I had A-F full and gh (tracks and rollers) learners. gh learner no longer exist which pisses me off after paying for them. :shake:

And yes cops do let you off a lot when they see that, although some will get into a pissing contest about who knows more. This can be amusing..... as long as you are legit. :o

kasper
16th February 2004, 17:36
Im feeling inferior too - only got 1 2 4 6 F R W !.....Also PPl, Firearms, Ramset, PADI Advanced Scuba etc,bla bla bla.(or are we only talking vehicle licences here) :rolleyes:

1R, 6L PADI open water, fursuiting licence

Big Dog
16th February 2004, 18:44
1=Tin top
2=Light truck
3=Heavy truck
4=light trailer
5=Heavy trailer
6=Motorcycle

I have all the above.
Under the old classes I had A-F full and gh (tracks and rollers) learners. gh learner no longer exist which pisses me off after paying for them. :shake:

And yes cops do let you off a lot when they see that, although some will get into a pissing contest about who knows more. This can be amusing..... as long as you are legit. :o
Oh and liquor license, my hazardous goods expired last year. :Pokey:

What?
16th February 2004, 18:48
I've got a License to Drink somewhere...

SPman
16th February 2004, 20:16
Anyone got a 007 ???????

wari
16th February 2004, 20:49
1=Tin top
2=Light truck
3=Heavy truck
4=light trailer
5=Heavy trailer
6=Motorcycle

Shit ... I just realised I've been shafted at the liscense conversion ... I had my Heavy Truck ... :mad: ... shoulda checked more carefully I suppose.

Anyone know if I can get it re-instated ?

dangerous
16th February 2004, 20:51
Got mine in '69, (wanted to be an Ag pilot :laugh: ) let it all lapse when family arrived and it all got to silly and expensive! Dont think I've flown since my mate with a plane, died! (Cheapskate to the end!)

Yeh.... I had a mate die in a Flether near Castel point he also rode a Guzzi sport, had to kids and a wife one hell of a orwsome block. He used to fly the mail run in a F27 ChCh to Auck but after years doing that he found it boring so he moved the family to Masterton area to top dress. He was a wicked pilot but when the machinics f up theres nothing ya can do but kiss your arse good by. He drove fast rode fast flew bloody fast and jet sprinted fast.
:rockon: Guy

dangerous
16th February 2004, 21:03
In NZ its 1,2,3,4,5,6,D,F
In OZ its R and all the way up to MC....thats muilti combonation in cluding a B double which is 2 of the longest trailers that ya see around, in NZ max is 1
So that just leaves me with the road train licence to get :shifty:

honda_vt250f
16th February 2004, 21:40

ive got 1R,6R(getting my full bike wen i get a new back tyre for the test and $115)

Ms Piggy
16th February 2004, 22:34
I've got 1, 2, 4, 6L, F, R, W.

Although I haven't used my heavey truck or heavey wheels & rollers for several years now.

marty
17th February 2004, 04:10
Here's a picture showing Motu using his "squid" licence catergory....

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/719734-L-1.jpg

(He's the one pushing)http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/naughty.gif http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/FLIPA.gif

that looks like thompsons track...

BigB
17th February 2004, 06:01
I have 1,2,4,6,F,R,W when I went for the heavy wheeled the cop had never even driven one, go figure.

cheers

Motu
17th February 2004, 06:57
that looks like thompsons track...

It was hell!

LB
18th February 2004, 04:31
It was hell!
It looks like something that Forsyth and Veg would relish (looks like the latter on the left?)

Give me civilisation and tarmac any day!!!! :D

marty
18th February 2004, 07:17
It was hell!

i took a work 4 x 4 over there once. going up the west side was easy, but down the katikati side was a lesson in 'how deep's this hole?' and lots of winching. i don't think the truck ever really recovered from that trip...although i also put it into the surf at ruapuke, a crevass on ruapehu, various holes and rivers around waiouru, wires track near paeroa, etc etc.....

Oscar
18th February 2004, 07:31
i took a work 4 x 4 over there once. going up the west side was easy, but down the katikati side was a lesson in 'how deep's this hole?' and lots of winching. i don't think the truck ever really recovered from that trip...although i also put it into the surf at ruapuke, a crevass on ruapehu, various holes and rivers around waiouru, wires track near paeroa, etc etc.....

It ain't Thompsons Track (kids stuff) - it's National Park.

Lynda - that's McPhee in the foreground, and I think that's Foreskins with Motu trying to persude him not to call the rescue helicopter....after all he had miles of shitty track to come that Motu hadnae had a chance to fall over on...

Motu
18th February 2004, 08:06
I had no idea I would be going into such conditions,and wasn't prepard for it...particualy mentaly! A trail tyre that was lost in the mud and my pack was good for highway,not trail.Instead of being high on that right hand bank,I target steered into that rut,then found my pack dragging on the ground on the left side - this is the mid trail repack.It's lucky you can't hear Vege bellowing ''what the fuck are you guys doing!''

marty
18th February 2004, 15:01
It ain't Thompsons Track (kids stuff) - it's National Park.

and i thought i knew everything. :(

erik
18th February 2004, 17:58
I've got classes 1 and 6L.

It kinda seems like people with few licence classes are outnumbered here.

Big Dog
18th February 2004, 18:25
Most people with multiple licenses have lots. A freind who used to work in licensing reckoned very few stick to just the 2 if they have more than 1.

I reckon its cos mono's are afraid to try for another but multis realise they get easier as the get more plentiful (and more cost effective if you do several classes at each test, when I did mine each additional class was only $15).

SILVER SUZI
20th February 2004, 12:10
1,2,3,4,5,6 DG expired a few years ago, not driving now so don't need to renew it. Originall had F & L (Truck & Trailer) they were automaticly converted to 2,3,4,5. Wouldn't want to go through all the bullshit of getting any licenses now.
:beer:

Lou Girardin
22nd February 2004, 20:54
Got 1 2 3 4 5 6 O P N. Used to be a testing officer, tee hee.
Lou

Milky
22nd February 2004, 23:38
just 1R and 6R... until this wednesday hopefully. I got the most important full license booked first - the bike - and will get my class one full once i am rich enough.... the thing is university costs sooo much :( I hate being poor :doh:

Suzi Q
29th February 2004, 20:52
My Dad - in his 70's - had every licence except Taxi Cab, Omnibus and Motorcycle. He has been a Farmer all his life in North Canterbury - Go The Crusaders! Go Grizz!! - Any way he and his brother had a farm each 1 mile apart on State Highway 1, they would ride their little CT110 Honda bikes up and down the road between the farms - without helmets and licences. The local police got wind of this and had a wee chat to Dad. Needless to say everytime he saw a cop he would nip down the very long drive of a neighbour untill the cop went past & then he would carry on to the other farm!
He got most of his licences while doing his National Service in the Army - I think mainly by post! :doobey:

I only have classes 1 & 6 because I've never needed any others. I trust you guys with more license classes have them because you have needed to use them at one time or another. There's no other point to having them is there? :wacko:

I worked with a guy who had every license listed! It was quite impressive to see his old paper type license with A,B,C,D,E,F,G...he was in his 60's and had owned trucks & taxis, etc. He was one of those guys who always had a story to tell, his opening line would be "I remember the day..."!

Zed

Holy Roller
29th February 2004, 21:55
1 2 3 4 5 6
Got the truck and trailer when we did the house bus thing a few years ago. it proved to be cheap accomodation while at Bible College. Lucky it was a two story job as I had to fit the 5 kids and the Mrs in it.
Got my bike licence in 81 brought a GSXEZ 250 and had to ride at 70 kph from Devonport to Manukau along the motorway to attend the riding lesons that provided a full licence after the short course. So different today.