PDA

View Full Version : Arai Condor helmet - vent problems

Beemer
30th October 2005, 15:38
My other half has an Arai Condor helmet and the front vent adjuster on the top of the helmet has given up the ghost. Instead of locking into either open or closed, it now just rocks back and forwards and won't lock into place.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is it fixable? Also, does anyone know how long the warranty is on these helmets as he can't find any reference to this in the leaflets that came with it. He's had it about a year, but considering how little use this vent gets, you'd expect it to last a bit longer than that.

Oh, and another thing - one of the side covers for the visor is incredibly difficult to get to lock into place - it keeps popping off when he tries to get it back on after cleaning.

onearmedbandit
30th October 2005, 16:14
I've got one, Condor Blue Star. Had no problems like you've described, I'm sure if you took it into an Arai agent they'd be more than happy to sort it for you. I remember something about free servicing when I bought mine, didn't pay too much attention to how long or what conditions though.

ducatisl
31st October 2005, 08:38
hi there. i work for Dold Industries in hamilton (the arai importer) one of the advatanges of buying an Arai is the exclusive arai 5 year warranty, simply return this helmet to me and ill sort it and return it to you , Dold industries 130 maui st hamilton ph ham 07 8494392 cheers Brendon

James Deuce
31st October 2005, 08:42
I've got a COndor and you don't need to take the side covers off to remove and replace the visor. With practice (and a bit of swearing to start with) it now takes 5-6 seconds to completely change a visor.

You can get a kit to replace the side cover, but I don't know about the top vent, but will be sure to watch out for that. Maybe there is some dead bug matter in there?

keza
31st October 2005, 08:46
if it is a new nz model and not a import there is a five year warranty and the importers would only be to happy to fix it as it is arais reputation on the line if you wish i can help as is sell them and can get it fixed for you
cheers kerry 098158384

Beemer
31st October 2005, 13:35
Thanks everyone, I'll let Andy know when he gets home tonight - he was looking a little dejected last night when he realised the vent wasn't working! And it would have to be the front one, he rarely uses the back one!

Jim, I am not 100% sure but I think the instructions show the side covers being removed to change the visor - Andy is the type to follow instructions to the letter and I don't think he would fiddle with them unless it said to do so! The side covers clip into position so I would imagine they would need to be removed to change the visor.

Five year warranty? That's amazing! Andy will be rapt, I bought him the helmet for his birthday in July 2004 and he was worried it only had a 12 month warranty so would not be covered.

Wonderful service everyone!

James Deuce
31st October 2005, 13:45
Jim, I am not 100% sure but I think the instructions show the side covers being removed to change the visor - Andy is the type to follow instructions to the letter and I don't think he would fiddle with them unless it said to do so! The side covers clip into position so I would imagine they would need to be removed to change the visor.

Definitely absolutely not on a Condor. I've got one and the instructions show two little levers on either side of the visor. Open the visor, move the little levers to the full up position and pull the visor out. Make sure the levers stay up. Insert new visor from behind the helmet push in firmly until it clicks on each side and close the visor to complete the seating.

My instructions say you only need to remove the side cover to replace the visor ratchet mechanism. The Arai wearing guys in the IoM TT get their visors changed at the pit stop. You'll see them open the visor and then hold the two levers up while the highly paid visor changing technician inserts a new one.

SPman
31st October 2005, 15:36
I've got a Condor and you DON'T need to take off the side panels to change the visor:drinkup:

k14
31st October 2005, 15:43
My instructions say you only need to remove the side cover to replace the visor ratchet mechanism. The Arai wearing guys in the IoM TT get their visors changed at the pit stop. You'll see them open the visor and then hold the two levers up while the highly paid visor changing technician inserts a new one.
Yeah thats what I saw, always thought that arai's were crap cause they had those covers over the sides of the visors and thought that visor changing would take ages. Shoei has a similar system but no side covers.

Good to see that arai has a 5 year warranty, pretty sure shoei doesn't. Had the top vent smashed by a small stone that was flicked up by a car not long after i got it, i made some enquiries but apparantly shoei doesn't make replacement vents.

Beemer
31st October 2005, 16:54
My mistake - Andy just came home and said "no, I know you don't need to take the side cover off to change the visor, I took it off to clean the dead bugs and gunk out of it!" I remember he does do a lot of swearing when replacing the visor though!

He says he will probably send it back to Dold as requested, so thanks again for all your help, nice to know they do have such a good warranty.

James Deuce
31st October 2005, 17:03
My mistake - Andy just came home and said "no, I know you don't need to take the side cover off to change the visor, I took it off to clean the dead bugs and gunk out of it!" I remember he does do a lot of swearing when replacing the visor though!

He says he will probably send it back to Dold as requested, so thanks again for all your help, nice to know they do have such a good warranty.

You have no shame! What's this "my mistake" thing? :)

I cured the swearing by placing the helmet on a table or bench about waist with the visor opening facing away from me. Re-insert the visor so the semi-circle cutouts locate on the hinge on the helmet under the sidecovers properly, and then use two hands to close the visor so all the other cutouts locate on the stuff under the side cover. Couldn;t believe it when I fluked it the first time. It was so easy. I'd raised a real sweat trying to get the dark visor on too.

You could help (if you feel so moved) by holding the two levers in the up position. If they drop down then you have to start from the beginning.

Beemer
31st October 2005, 17:15
You have no shame! What's this "my mistake" thing? :)

I 'fess up when I make a mistake - besides, he was wandering around saying "I KNOW you don't have to take the side covers off, now they'll all think I'm an idiot!" so I thought I better put things right! I'll tell him about your trick and see if it makes a difference - he's a mild mannered guy but the language when he's changing the visor - 'twould make a nun blush!

James Deuce
31st October 2005, 17:18
I 'fess up when I make a mistake - besides, he was wandering around saying "I KNOW you don't have to take the side covers off, now they'll all think I'm an idiot!" so I thought I better put things right! I'll tell him about your trick and see if it makes a difference - he's a mild mannered guy but the language when he's changing the visor - 'twould make a nun blush!

Good on you!

That should be "waist height" above.

Sorry.

Beemer
31st October 2005, 17:29
I figured that it would be waist height - see I'm not so dumb as I thought I was!

Beemer
4th November 2005, 11:47
Well, my husband is rapt - he couriered his helmet to Dold on Wednesday and received it back this morning. He's very impressed with the service, so thanks again guys, you've restored his faith as well as his helmet! And he was only without it for just over a day - brilliant!