PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the bike?

darren
16th February 2004, 07:54
:brick: Anyone know a strong cleaner I can use to clean the chrome on the bike?
im getting to the stage where im about to bring out the angle grinder on the sob

ive rubbed so hard I see blood spots on the exhaust but still no high shine :argh:

there must be somthing out there I can use without getting the thing re chromed :brick:

Darren

moko
16th February 2004, 08:02
Solvol Autosol is whateveryone uses here,it`s abrasive paste and very good,sure you`ll have the same or similar down under.If not there`s stuff called Duraglit that you`ll find in hardware store e.t.c.,its wadding that`s impregnated with cleaner.Not being funny but you sure you`ve got chrome,a mate of mine spent hours with a can of chrome cleaner wondering why his pipes didnt come up nice and shiny,I had to explain to him it dosnt work very well on stainless.

Andrew
16th February 2004, 16:35
Solvol Autosol is whateveryone uses here,it`s abrasive paste and very good,sure you`ll have the same or similar down under.

I'll second that, its great stuff. It is available here and it also works on aluminium.

wkid_one
16th February 2004, 16:36
:brick: Anyone know a strong cleaner I can use to clean the chrome on the bike?
im getting to the stage where im about to bring out the angle grinder on the sob

ive rubbed so hard I see blood spots on the exhaust but still no high shine :argh:

there must be somthing out there I can use without getting the thing re chromed :brick:

Darren
Is it chrome first of all, or stainless steel, or alloy?

If chrome or SS - use autosolv and elbow grease.
If Alloy - take the pipe off, use autosolv with a sheeps skin buffing pad to fit on an electric drill - will have it shiny in minutes.

Alloy is a bitch to keep shiny tho as it gets wicked water spots and generally dulls out with normal riding.

First time is always the hardest to keep it clean