PDA

View Full Version : question/ favor to ask..

SARGE
30th October 2005, 18:35
my wife is brand new to bikes. just got her license a month ago and she's doing ok (on a GN250 borrowed from work..)

we go out most weekends for a blat, but being the wife and all... i cant tell her what shes doing wrong without sounding like im berating her riding (slow down on the corners.. use the engine braking.. look where you WANT to go.. not at the clocks..etc)..

i really would love to have her as my riding buddy (we are seperated, but i'm hoping that this will bring us back together..) i cant get MY bike out of 3rd gear whn we go out, and im always afraid of driving up her exhaust pipe when she freaks out in a corner..

would any Angels in te Auckland Area be willing / able to ride with her on a few sunday's ( SLOW rides.. 250cc or so) and teach her things that i, as a hubby , cant?

PM me if you can/ will

wari
30th October 2005, 21:57
E-Verr thourght of gittin' some pro-fession-all to hellp out .. :blip:

LEe RUsty (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=303) is a trust-edd mem-brr of KB who does ri-derr trainin' .. givimma buzz if you gitt no re-sponse .. :spudwave:

crashe
30th October 2005, 22:02
SARGE - pm coming your way........

avgas
30th October 2005, 22:16
i cant tell her what shes doing wrong without sounding like im berating her riding (slow down on the corners.. use the engine braking.. look where you WANT to go.. not at the clocks..etc)..

Hey i hate to point this out - but i had the same prob. when i was learning to ride. I acutally feel its something you have to learn at you own pace, and by experience. You aint gonna learn jack while someone barks at you. Even untill you pick up the basics you arent going to listen to noone.
The best thing you can do is ride 5 mins behind her and check she hasnt crashed anywhere.
I eventually learnt how to ride on my own, by firing up the bike in the shed and eventually getting game enough to ride it round the house.....then down the road.....then around the block (about 100hA)
Rider skills training comes in once you have basic skills to ride, and you are confident enough to trust what someone else tells you.

Psalm42
30th October 2005, 22:33
If it is at all posible, see if you can go trail riding with her. I have found one has no on coming traffic to be overly concerned about, you learn to know the bike etc. Obviously this means sourcing 2 trail bikes and a trailer. On the bright side it would also mean a outing together. Once the bike skills are up and away, blending it in with cars becomes easyer. Also when you learn what to do with a little sliping off road you tend to be more confident on tarseal.

SARGE
31st October 2005, 06:37
E-Verr thourght of gittin' some pro-fession-all to hellp out .. :blip:

LEe RUsty (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=303) is a trust-edd mem-brr of KB who does ri-derr trainin' .. givimma buzz if you gitt no re-sponse .. :spudwave:

shes been through Doug Swanson for training.. got her license a month ago.. just needs some time in the seat really and im afraid that the tidbits i throw her when we stop sound like im harping at her..

vixta
2nd November 2005, 10:37
When i was learning, the last person i wanted to listen to was the hubby, i opened my ears to everyone else though!! :whistle:

Colapop
2nd November 2005, 11:15
Hey i hate to point this out - but i had the same prob. when i was learning to ride.....

You didn't like your husband berating you??

NhuanH
2nd November 2005, 11:48
Big D,

Forgot to extend this offer when I saw you yesterday: I can help ride your wife :blip: - check out my custom user title ^^^
I can supply references if required...

SARGE
2nd November 2005, 11:50
Big D,

Forgot to extend this offer when I saw you yesterday: I can help ride your wife :blip: - check out my custom user title ^^^
I can supply references if required...

mate .. she's a 6' amazon redhead..

feel lucky? :devil2:

NhuanH
2nd November 2005, 11:53
mate .. she's a 6' amazon redhead..

feel lucky? :devil2:
a professional fluffer never aborts a mission.

Game on!

[edit] it's not really you in a red wig is it Sarge?

ManDownUnder
2nd November 2005, 11:58
Good luck mate.

I can think of someone that might help... I'll ping her and see what comes back.
MDU

edit - which part of Auckland is she in?

SARGE
2nd November 2005, 12:45
[edit] it's not really you in a red wig is it Sarge?

like i said..

feel lucky?

Busy
2nd November 2005, 22:26
If your still looking for someone I'll put my hand up, not sure how experienced a rider your looking for but yeah, if you want me to tag along ... be the interputer even.
I'll be on the ride this weekend so can talk about it then if you want.

Goddess of Goof
5th November 2005, 22:20
When i was learning, the last person i wanted to listen to was the hubby, i opened my ears to everyone else though!! :whistle:

My boyfriend at the time was so supportive when I got back on a bike after many years away - he gave me the right information in small enough doses - so I could process it. It really helped build up my road craft.

eg I'd get a dry mouth and tense up - which made me tired. So he'd explain - dryness is a side effect of adrenaline. It's the flight or fight reaction. Have some water. Tenseness is from anxiety. Think smooth. Think calm and alert. Keep the hands soft and easy.

We'd stop after 40 - 45 minutes, and drink water, eat chocolate. He'd only mention one thing that I could work on - following distances, or overtaking, or identifying potential situations and getting out of them without compromising safety.

It didn't take long to be able to keep up behind him - and learn his cornering lines (although never his speed or skill). I often let him go on ahead and we'd meet up at key places. Rode my own ride until I got more competent.

Also a copy of "Twist of the Wrist" by Kevin Code which really helped me understand the basics.

Plus the Ride Right Ride Safe course - which was truly valuable.....

And don't forget the magic of Sex and the Motorcycle - awesome potential for bonding after a long ride - hot shower, bed and bliss :love:

FROSTY
6th November 2005, 15:19
Sarge--mate Just yeodle if I can help. --always up for a ride on the ol bike

SARGE
6th November 2005, 15:52
Sarge--mate Just yeodle if I can help. --always up for a ride on the ol bike

COOL!!.. I DONT THINK WE COULD KEEP UP THOUGH YA MAD BASTARD..

sorry ... just got done talking to WINJA

next time we get out will be a couple weeks .. im at BBT this weekend and shes going to Tarunga next weekend to visit the olds

M1CRO
8th November 2005, 07:23
Put her on the BRONZ course :2thumbsup

heavenly.talker
8th November 2005, 07:45
my wife is brand new to bikes. just got her license a month ago and she's doing ok (on a GN250 borrowed from work..)

we go out most weekends for a blat, but being the wife and all... i cant tell her what shes doing wrong without sounding like im berating her riding (slow down on the corners.. use the engine braking.. look where you WANT to go.. not at the clocks..etc)..

i really would love to have her as my riding buddy (we are seperated, but i'm hoping that this will bring us back together..) i cant get MY bike out of 3rd gear whn we go out, and im always afraid of driving up her exhaust pipe when she freaks out in a corner..

would any Angels in te Auckland Area be willing / able to ride with her on a few sunday's ( SLOW rides.. 250cc or so) and teach her things that i, as a hubby , cant?

PM me if you can/ will

Hey Sarge

More than happy to go riding with her as soon as I get a new bike :-)

Some things are best learnt away from hubby ...that way she can relax and just focus on the ride :-)
Cheers