PDA

View Full Version : My new bike

duckman
16th February 2004, 09:49
Hi all, Just thought I'd let ya all know that on Saturday while picking up my Ducati from Haldanes (40,000k service) - I was offered a test ride on TL1000R. A bike that I had been looking at for the last 4 months but couldn't find the right deal on.
Well now it's mine. waaahhoooooooooo!!!!!!

Haldanes did an awseome deal, it's a 1999 model with 17,000ks, twin bro's high exhausts e.t.c.

I'm going to transfer over the power commander from the duke over the next couple of weeks and sort out a pack rack as well. Then it's off to the south island for some quality time with my new toy.

If I can find someone with a digital camera, I'll post some pics.

Dave
16th February 2004, 10:25
do a quick sketch, :p

k14
16th February 2004, 10:40
Damn, nice man, Although i think i would prefer italian over japanese. But still an awesome bike :eek:

Just keep away from mr :Police:

Definately need some pics.

Coldkiwi
16th February 2004, 10:51
nice to know you haven't sacrificed that V-twin rumble mate :) what colours??

duckman
16th February 2004, 11:01
It's the standard blue and white colours of Suzuki.

Yea it was a bit weird handing over a Ducati and getting Japper, but I must admit the ride of the TL1000R is (IMHO) much better. (for me at least)

Some of the complaints I had about the Duke were:

- Too gutless when two up and a pack
- The fuel injection was way too jumpy in first
- Comfort.... mmmm, no more than 1 hour at a time.
- Gearing was too tall, I never used top, EVER!!

All of these things do not appear to be a problem with the TL, however the TL has some obvious faults also:

- Bloody heavy (mental note, DO NOT DROP IT)
- Not as sexy looking as the duck
- Costs a fortune in tyres, chains and sprockets

With all that in mind, I'm as happy as a dog with two dicks!! (erm, thats a good thing by the way) : )

riffer
16th February 2004, 12:57
TL has some obvious faults also:

- Bloody heavy (mental note, DO NOT DROP IT)

Crikey duckman, what did your Duke weigh?

I compared my fizzer to my mates TL1000S a while back, and thought it had to have a 40kg advantage over me.

That ducati must have been a featherweight if you think the TL is heavy....

jrandom
16th February 2004, 13:04

AFAIK there is a nontrivial weight difference between the 'S' and the 'R'. Note that duckman is getting an 'R' with all the fairings and blimpy wodgy bits.

The TLR is one of those so-ugly-it's-beautiful bikes, IMHO. Colour me green...

SPman
16th February 2004, 13:30
And you can fit a dozen cans under the seat hump!

duckman
16th February 2004, 13:37
Crikey duckman, what did your Duke weigh?

I compared my fizzer to my mates TL1000S a while back, and thought it had to have a 40kg advantage over me.

Yea the duke was really light and you knew it when you hit some ripples mid corner!! It was very responsive but it felt like the front was always stepping out when the road got bumpy.

duckman
16th February 2004, 13:39
AFAIK there is a nontrivial weight difference between the 'S' and the 'R'. Note that duckman is getting an 'R' with all the fairings and blimpy wodgy bits.

The TLR is one of those so-ugly-it's-beautiful bikes, IMHO. Colour me green...
People deffinitely either love it or hate it. It's a big staunch looking number for sure. :msn-wink:

duckman
16th February 2004, 13:40
And you can fit a dozen cans under the seat hump!
This was the final selling point for me!!! :doobey:

bikerboy
16th February 2004, 20:51
Mama mia! Duckman, a che cosa stai pensando ? :gob:

duckman
17th February 2004, 07:57
Mama mia! Duckman, a che cosa stai pensando ? :gob:

Er...One more time for the literary challenged.... :doobey:

jrandom
17th February 2004, 10:05
Mama mia! Duckman, a che cosa stai pensando ?

wellll... he's been riding around on a gutless shed for too long and he wants some *real* v-twin grunt? He'd probably buy a 996 but would prefer to be debt free before 2010...

gotta admit, the TLR has some in-ya-face 'tude going on. Not like these sanitised SVs 'zuki are making now. Far too tame.

duckman
17th February 2004, 10:33
wellll... he's been riding around on a gutless shed for too long and he wants some *real* v-twin grunt? He'd probably buy a 996 but would prefer to be debt free before 2010...

gotta admit, the TLR has some in-ya-face 'tude going on. Not like these sanitised SVs 'zuki are making now. Far too tame.

Bluntly put - But exactly correct. :rolleyes:

bikerboy
17th February 2004, 10:46
In inglese " what are you thinking?"

i'm happy for you getting a new bike that you love, but to go from a ducati to a suzuki..........i'm disappointed. Someone has to keep buying the impractical, quirky, overpriced italian bikes or they'll go the way of the dinosaurs.

we might as well all become engineers......no offence meant ck. :innocent:

duckman
17th February 2004, 10:52
In inglese " what are you thinking?"

i'm happy for you getting a new bike that you love, but to go from a ducati to a suzuki..........i'm disappointed. Someone has to keep buying the impractical, quirky, overpriced italian bikes or they'll go the way of the dinosaurs.

we might as well all become engineers......no offence meant ck. :innocent:
I completely understand. However I couldn't afford a 916/996/998 and I really wanted some more horses. Now I will start saving for the next step up!!

It's a slow process to getting your dream bike but it you do it in small steps, you get there eventually. :scooter:

Coldkiwi
17th February 2004, 11:40
so you're saying its architects that will finance impractical and cost over run projects? sounds right! :))

Good to see ya back here BB.

I've always had a soft spot for TLRs. ungainly maybe but they look wicked and are probably more than capable enough on the road.

DEATH_INC.
17th February 2004, 14:47
The TLR isn't a bad old mule....with the exception of the rear shock.You'll save heaps on tyres if you change it to a conventional type unit.My mates trying a Hagon unit in his (got it about a week ago)or of course there's always Ohlins......
Try this site for the best standard setup http://tl1000.ichos.com/jamie/page1.htm
And don't let anyone convince you to put a 180 on the rear,stick with that 190.....

DOH! that link doesn't work anymore.....I'll see if I can find the info elswhere....This is THE setup for TLR's......

duckman
17th February 2004, 14:51
The TLR isn't a bad old mule....with the exception of the rear shock.You'll save heaps on tyres if you change it to a conventional type unit.My mates trying a Hagon unit in his (got it about a week ago)or of course there's always Ohlins......
Try this site for the best standard setup http://tl1000.ichos.com/jamie/page1.htm
And don't let anyone convince you to put a 180 on the rear,stick with that 190.....

DOH! that link doesn't work anymore.....I'll see if I can find the info elswhere....This is THE setup for TLR's......

Why would I want to move down from that big gorgous 190 ??

DEATH_INC.
17th February 2004, 15:19
Why would I want to move down from that big gorgous 190 ??
A lot of people are fooled into thinking that a 180 makes the bike turn better.... :rolleyes:

duckman
17th February 2004, 15:26
A lot of people are fooled into thinking that a 180 makes the bike turn better.... :rolleyes:

Oh ..o.k. ;)

I haven't stress tested it on the twisties yet, so I'll have to wait and see.

Coldkiwi
18th February 2004, 11:27
a curious enginer posts...
reducing tyre width works to speed up steering on most road bikes. why not a TLR? I don't understand! I know it obviously sacrifices some grip with the reduced contact patch but i don't know how it can't help the steering (or are you saying the change is small enough not to be worthwhile?)

DEATH_INC.
18th February 2004, 13:51
a curious enginer posts...
reducing tyre width works to speed up steering on most road bikes. why not a TLR? I don't understand! I know it obviously sacrifices some grip with the reduced contact patch but i don't know how it can't help the steering (or are you saying the change is small enough not to be worthwhile?)
Work it out....the smaller tyre makes the bike lean over easier,not turn faster.It makes the rear turn in more thereby creating understeer.......

duckman
18th February 2004, 13:54
Wahhooooo This should become quite the engineering argument!! :lol:

Could I just mention - I'm really loving this puppy!!! :rockon:

bikerboy
18th February 2004, 14:18
"Could I just mention - I'm really loving this puppy!!! :rockon:[/QUOTE]"

Great, glad you got something that exicts you. nothing better than a new bike, except for a new bike that doesn't disappoint! :love:

Hope to see you on the run to Paeroa this weekend. I'll be one of the lazy pants bikers leaving at the last minute. :rolleyes:

duckman
18th February 2004, 14:30
"Could I just mention - I'm really loving this puppy!!! :rockon:"

Great, glad you got something that exicts you. nothing better than a new bike, except for a new bike that doesn't disappoint! :love:

Hope to see you on the run to Paeroa this weekend. I'll be one of the lazy pants bikers leaving at the last minute. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hell yea - I'll be there. I'm joing the crowd leaving from Greenlane at 9:30(ish)

DEATH_INC.
19th February 2004, 13:09
OK managed to find them courtesy of one of the guys on the Gixxer site.
Here you go:
Adjust the suspension and raise the forks so 12-13mm show above the top yoke (not including fork cap) .... IMPORTANT TO DO BOTH TOGETHER..... as the geometry adjustment gives neutral steering but also changes weight distribution, so affecting suspension settings.I'm assuming that you want to get the best out of your standard suspension without going to the expense of major changes.Do not raise the forks past 15 mm or the mudguard hits the radiator under heavy braking. REMEMBER to put a jack or some sort of adjustable support under the engine before loosening off the triple clamp/yoke bolts!

Do yourself a favour dump the standard steering damper and buy yourself a good quality replacement such as Ohlins. Underneath the standard steering damper is a great motorcycle just fighting to get out.

Here's the road and race settings... great handling, neutral steering...... a fast easy to ride bike. The TL-R is a very sensitive bike to suspension and ride height changes.

ROAD SETTINGS: This gives you good feel and composure over the typical bumpy country lanes we have here in the UK. If your roads are smooth as they are in France...... you'd be better off running the RACE settings.

Tyre Pressures: Front 36 PSI Rear 36 PSI

FRONT Suspension Settings:

Spring Preload: 4 Lines showing (fourth line should just show above cap)

Compression Damping: 10 clicks out from fully in

Rebound Damping: 5 clicks out from fully in

REAR Suspension Settings:

Spring Preload: 6 threads showing on top side of the thread below the lock ring i.e. two full turns from standard. Mark one of the castellations on the adjuster ring with a felt tip and add two full turns more preload.

Compression Damping: 18 clicks out from fully in

Rebound Damping: 15 clicks out from fully in

RACETRACK SETTINGS: Good control and feedback for Trackdays and Club Racing using the standard suspension.

Tyre Pressures: Front 32 PSI Rear 32 PSI

FRONT Suspension Settings:

Spring Preload: 4 Lines showing (fourth line should just show above cap)

Compression Damping: 4 clicks out from fully in

Rebound Damping: 3 clicks out from fully in

REAR Suspension Settings:

Spring Preload: 6 threads showing on top side of the thread below the lock ring i.e. two full turns from standard. Mark one of the castellations on the adjuster ring with a felt tip and add two full turns more preload.

Compression Damping: 7 clicks out from fully in

Rebound Damping: 10 clicks out from fully in

These aren't Ideal for everyone of course,but are considered to be the best place to start by most of the tiller gurus :yes:

duckman
19th February 2004, 14:02
Awesome - Thanks very much for that.

I'll have to ask Dave nicely if he'll give me a hand. Wot with all those tools and everything.... :eek:

Dave ??? :innocent:

Dave
19th February 2004, 14:03
Work it out....the smaller tyre makes the bike lean over easier,not turn faster.It makes the rear turn in more thereby creating understeer.......

What a load of BULLSHIT!

The rear can't 'turn in' because it trails the front. and understeer is where the front doesn't turn as sharp as intended so how can the lean angle on the rear have anything to do with this?

Dave
19th February 2004, 14:08
Sorry Death; little bit OTT, too much chocolate! :whistle:

duckman
19th February 2004, 14:10
Steady Dave.....Caaaaaalm :bleh:

DEATH_INC.
19th February 2004, 21:40
That's sweet Dave,you're entitled to your opinion....but if you think about it a bit you'll realise that because you're leaning over the rear too (you don't actually 'steer' the bike round a corner)it will turn in too.Grab an old wheel with an axle through it and lean it over and push it along and see how much effort it takes to keep it going straight......

Zed
19th February 2004, 22:14
:Oi: duckman, we've heard alot about this new machine of yours but WHERE ARE THE PICS?

Zed

Dave
20th February 2004, 08:18
That's sweet Dave,you're entitled to your opinion....but if you think about it a bit you'll realise that because you're leaning over the rear too (you don't actually 'steer' the bike round a corner)it will turn in too.Grab an old wheel with an axle through it and lean it over and push it along and see how much effort it takes to keep it going straight......

Yeah-thats basic, but your talking about a rear wheel that trails the front-so all it would do is reduce the contact patch, it can't turn in on the bike.