PDA

View Full Version : Long hair problems

Wonko
16th February 2004, 09:54
Just wondering what other people do with their long hair while on their bikes? I tie myine back and tuck down the back of my jacket, but on longer rides some of it gets out and then I end up with big knots in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

mangell6
16th February 2004, 10:00
Don't have that problem any more as it all fell out!

:lol: :lol:

Dave
16th February 2004, 10:24
Ask the chics,
Most blokes don't have that problem!

jrandom
16th February 2004, 10:57
Only long-haired rider I know is a guy with dreadlocks. He doesn't seem to be bothered by them flapping in the breeze.

Of course if you affect the soft-curls-falling-over-shoulders style it's a bit difficult to maintain looks after a helmet, innit? Best biker haircut is a #2 clipper run over the head once a week, I reckon.

Hitcher
16th February 2004, 11:30
I suffer from the same problem as Mangell6 (either too tall for hair or too wide a centre parting). Mrs H has cut hers off, after experiencing problems with "helmet hair".

bluninja
16th February 2004, 11:43
When I had long hair I used to put a wool or cotton neck tube on with my hair inside. This meant my hair was held in place from the back of my helmet into my jacket and I never had problems with it. A friend used to twist her hair on top of her head and hold it in place with one hand whilst she pulled the helmet over. Looked awkward but worked for her.

Best cure for helmet hair was putting on a silk balaclava before the helmet...a lot easy to wash and rinse too than a helmet inner.

Hitcher
16th February 2004, 14:10
Best cure for helmet hair was putting on a silk balaclava before the helmet...a lot easy to wash and rinse too than a helmet inner.

I already have enough problems with my "helmet on" sequence without having something else to forget to do!!

1. Take glasses off (and put somewhere where they won't fall onto the road and get chipped)
2. Put ear plugs in (one in each ear)
3. Put helmet on (with visor side forward)
4. Do up helmet chinstrap
5. Locate glasses, open visor and put glasses on

Milky
16th February 2004, 15:10
dreads really are a great solution... the wind even improves them in some cases, as i have found out :) it will be the end of all your problems if u get them - they solve the problem of helmet hair if they are the right length too (not too short not too long).
There is one thing u should do which is wear a balaclava to stop the wax getting inside ur helmet, but that aint too much trouble if u have one anyway - I need a new helmet meself so i really cant be bothered protecting my old one ;)

Slim
16th February 2004, 15:55
I used to do the twist of hair on top of head thing when I first got into biking, but after chopping it all off (as I've done several times after getting sick of long hair hassles) I found my helmet so loose I had to buy a new one.

The last time I had long hair (last year), I plaited it and had little to no problems with knots. :)

Big Dog
16th February 2004, 17:09
I used to use leave in conditioner. It coats the hair so it still blows about but a quick head bang leaves it knot free. :whistle:
That worked when riding, welding, rock climing, cycling, changing the oil or any other time you would normally get dags.

What?
16th February 2004, 19:12
My trick was to tie my hair up with about six ties, then tuck inside jacket. Like plaiting, but easier...

curious george
16th February 2004, 21:19
Take one pair of clippers or scissors......... :whistle:
SAve on shampoo, combs, helmet hair, drying time etc etc etc.
You can get it done for $10 if you don't want to do it yourself.

kasper
19th February 2004, 17:13
I find it easy having a pony tail with two hair ties one at the top and one half way down, then wearing a dog collar over the hair and nck with the second hair tie threaded through the dog collar so that it holds the pony tail down.

btu that only when i am not havign the hiar do a medusa behind me which is funn sometimes.

when on a long run i wear a balaclav under the dog collar so it holds the hair down no matter what.

solution to helmet hair with long hair. get a mullet. with short hair on top andlong hair down the back. works great when you keep up with the hair cuts for the top about twice a year.

merv
19th February 2004, 18:24
Tony McMurdo had the plaited pony tail hanging out the back of his helmet when he raced and it certainly never slowed him down. Who remembers those days?

What?
19th February 2004, 19:09
Tony McMurdo had the plaited pony tail hanging out the back of his helmet when he raced and it certainly never slowed him down. Who remembers those days?
Hell yes! Tony was a hell of a good rider - and humble with it. Caught the opposition unawares on a regular basis... :2thumbsup

LB
20th February 2004, 05:14
Kerry Chapman and Brian Bernard had long hair too, I think Kerry used to have his just hanging out (it was about Mitch's length) but Brian used to have his in a plait, about the same length as Tony McM's.

Draco
21st February 2004, 08:16
I have long hair too. To fix the helmet hair thing (not a good look) i grew out my fringe and have it all one length. When riding i always plait it. You still get a bit of fuz around the neck line from the wind but a scarf or balaclava as suggested fixes that. It doesnt take long before you get good at plaiting it. And the old spray on leave in conditioner takes care of any knots.

Mitch
21st February 2004, 16:36
I have to confess I let mine flap around out the back of my helmet and knot itself all to hell :whistle:
Whenever it starts to border on dread's I brush it.
As many people will vouch for however my hair is totally unkept at the best of times.
In the States they sell a really neat leather sleeve that you can tie your hair into, even looks tidy with your lid off, I haven't seen them out here but it might be worth keeping an eye out for.

SPman
21st February 2004, 20:12
I have to confess I let mine flap around out the back of my helmet and knot itself all to hell :whistle:

Me too (back when I had hair!) :Oops:

Goddess of Goof
23rd February 2004, 22:20
Whenever it starts to border on dread's I brush it.
As many people will vouch for however my hair is totally unkept at the best of times..
:eek5: who wants to look all tidy and smooth anyway?
I always let my hair hang out the back, and even if I tie it into a low ponytail, it still gets knotty. As you say, "unkempt hair at the best of times ...... " :doobey:

My own hair is curly, bushy, frizzy, wild, knotty and "big" all by itself.
So I have given up and don't even try to tame it now. I rather like the flatness of helmet hair, I get 5 minutes of glamour before it ringlets up again!
Ooooh, Mullets ! I love to see a long, curly mullet on the right guy. Have you ever read about the history of the Mullet hairdo?
Really fascinating, there's a whole website devoted to it.
An ancient and respected hairstyle.
The suggestion of a helmet liner is good - I use one in winter to keep extra warm. Only time to tuck the hair inside is when it's raining.
Other than that, I think a bit of hair blowing around at the back of the helmet is VERY ATTRACTIVE.

:rockon:

Motu
23rd February 2004, 22:31
And you say that after I cut my pony tail off?

Goddess of Goof
23rd February 2004, 22:42
And you say that after I cut my pony tail off?
Yup, I sure do.......

What's the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut ?

About six weeks ! :banana:

Just keep eating those hot dinners Motu, and you'll be right........

Pixie
26th February 2005, 11:13
I grew too tall for my hair so I cut the rest of it off.

onearmedbandit
26th February 2005, 11:36
Not a concern for me, but I've always wondered whether those with long hair out the back of the helmet could do themselves a nasty bit of scalping in an off. Like if your hair got trapped between the road surfcae and your back, I'd hate to think about it.

Rainbow Wizard
26th February 2005, 13:51
Not a concern for me, but I've always wondered whether those with long hair out the back of the helmet could do themselves a nasty bit of scalping in an off.
I don't need a scarf, ever. Just clip the goatie under the helmet strap and tuck the rest down the front before doing up the jacket. Sure needs more regular washing if riding though.

Wonko
26th February 2005, 15:49
Not a concern for me, but I've always wondered whether those with long hair out the back of the helmet could do themselves a nasty bit of scalping in an off. Like if your hair got trapped between the road surfcae and your back, I'd hate to think about it.

Wasn't a problem in my off. I slid on my back for a bit down the road but it wasn't pulled. I think that has to do with the fact that you are really just boucing along on your back and not sliding that much. I also slid feet first, could be a complettly different story if you went head first down the road.

sels1
26th February 2005, 16:28
In the States they sell a really neat leather sleeve that you can tie your hair into, even looks tidy with your lid off, I haven't seen them out here but it might be worth keeping an eye out for.

They are called hair gloves - cost US$14.95 from http://www.whitehorsepress.com

hobdar
26th February 2005, 17:30
Get a haircut?................I have some clippers you can borrow...i suggest a number 1 or 2 that way you don't have to cut so often,

:2thumbsup

TwoSeven
26th February 2005, 17:51
Just wondering what other people do with their long hair while on their bikes? I tie myine back and tuck down the back of my jacket, but on longer rides some of it gets out and then I end up with big knots in it.

I suggest if your pubic hair is that long, it might be time to cut it. You 'really' dont want it to catch in the chain :wari:

Motu
26th February 2005, 18:27
When long hair became trendy - helmets weren't.If you don't like helmet hair,you should try no helmet hair.

strayjuliet
27th February 2005, 12:24
you could try plating it or the hair ties thing or u could do what i did when i had long hair i brought myself a hair net and put my hair in that ok i had to brush my hair whenever i got to the places we were going but it wasnt much hassel the other thing that did work was i would plat it first then put the hairnet over it in the end i got my hair cut short besides i suit short hair or long but it gets too hot in the summer for long hair so short in summer and long in winter that works for me good luck hope it works out for ya :D

Mongoose
27th February 2005, 13:58
I have tried a lot of the above ideas, these days just go for the "windswept and interesting" look. heaps of conditioner after a rally weekend and a good brush and its all back to, well, windswpet and interesting.

NordieBoy
28th February 2005, 07:41
I just pull the pony tail up and over whilst pulling the helmet on.
No more problems.
If I leave it out it turns into a dred within 30s or so.

sunhuntin
17th June 2005, 22:09
glenn has hair to just below his shoulder blades. usually id just brush it out then put as hair tie to hold it. for longer rides, id braid it and then tuck it into his jacket once we got on the road [braids hurt when they slap you in the face] if it was left loose, id brush it out on arrival as well, and maybe braid it for him.

my hair is still short, so id chuck a bandanna on under the helmet. now im back in my own helmet, i dont bother.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 22:15
Twas one of the reasons that I got my long hair cut short. Wear a helmet and I got helmet hair. No helmet (not legally required then) and the wind turned it into a rat's nest (NO - nothing to do with you Li'l Ratty. Shut up and go idle in the corner. AND STOP NAGGING ME ABOUT A MEGA. You can't have one and that's final)[Sorry about that folks]

The other reason I cut it was because it kept catching fire, and I got sick of having to extinguish myself. And the burnt off bits made me look funny.

SPORK
17th June 2005, 23:03
I'm growing my hair :love:

I want it about shoulder length... A real Heavy Metal look is what I'm after...

mikey
17th June 2005, 23:11
yeh sometimes after i get my shoulder+ lenght hair permed i ride without a helmet,

an then sometimes when its rainging i dont ride with a helmet cause it drowns the bugs an gets rid of dandruffff

an sometimes when i want to dye it platnum blonde i ride with no helmet for 5+ hours a day for a week just to get that natural look.

an to get that flat hair at top an MUZ out the back i ride with a helmet.

but most of the time.

I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

what lame cunt cares about there hair, your riding a FUCKING BIKE! go buy a cage, i heard you can get adapters so whilst driving to work on motorway while eating breakfast, drinking coffee, an putting on make up,

you can blow dry hair, or straighten or curl it.

go for it!!!!!!!!!

sunhuntin
17th June 2005, 23:16
yeh sometimes after i get my shoulder+ lenght hair permed i ride without a helmet,

an then sometimes when its rainging i dont ride with a helmet cause it drowns the bugs an gets rid of dandruffff

an sometimes when i want to dye it platnum blonde i ride with no helmet for 5+ hours a day for a week just to get that natural look.

an to get that flat hair at top an MUZ out the back i ride with a helmet.

but most of the time.

I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

what lame cunt cares about there hair, your riding a FUCKING BIKE! go buy a cage, i heard you can get adapters so whilst driving to work on motorway while eating breakfast, drinking coffee, an putting on make up,

go for it!!!!!!!!!

yeh, im one of those that dont care what the hair looks like at the end. only reason i bothered doing anything with glenns was so it wouldnt slap me in the face at highway speed.

mstriumph
13th July 2005, 23:22
Hey - sounds GREAT!! Where can I get me one of those?? [and where does it plug in on the bike......] :wait:
............ i heard you can get adapters so whilst driving to work on motorway while eating breakfast, drinking coffee, an putting on make up,

go for it!!!!!!!!!

placidfemme
14th July 2005, 07:38
You could all do what Qkchk does and leave your hair untied and hanging out the back of your helmet :) That way everyone knows your a chick and it only take 2 minutes to brush/comb your hair when your off the bike... easy and no hassle

Flyingpony
14th July 2005, 08:00
Been there, don't that. Grew long hair for 10yrs, was approaching midway down back.

Now it's #2 for Summer and #3 for Winter (big softy I am).
No more problems with tight helmet, hair in face, hair conditioner, hair knots, finding/losing hair brush and drying your hair (tip: use your normal fan heater - much much faster and the temperature impact is lighter on the hair).

parsley
14th July 2005, 08:56
I just pull the pony tail up and over whilst pulling the helmet on.
I tried that, but my helmet's snug as it is. With the hair underneath as well it's too tight and gives me a headache. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything bigger (damned large head).
I use a silk liner but the tail just hangs out the back. Knots? Bah!

Eurygnomes
15th July 2005, 16:30
This is a good question...I have the same problem: rats nest in end of ponytail after I get to work. And my helmet is also too snug to pile the hair on top of the head. I've made a leather hair glove out of wide ribbon before - people thought I was going to a dressage event or something!!! :no: Will try the plait - but my hairs so soft, straight and silky (it's annoying ok!?!) that plaits usually fall out quickly!

Keystone19
15th July 2005, 16:42
Just cut it off... :devil2:

SixPackBack
15th July 2005, 18:52
get hard .......shave it, there has been a few movie female stars over the years with shaven heads......looks hot!

zeRax
15th July 2005, 20:30
dont really think about it on the bike, get some mean knots sometimes, but not always, sometimes the bulk of it sits in back of jacket and sometimes stays there...
what is most annoying is if ive washed my hair + conditioned that day, and then gone and tried to have subway or something, how fucking tedious is that D:!?!??! hair is too soft after a good wash and roams around

other than that, who cares :D havent had a hair cut/trim, nothin since about 1st feb 2004

Kittyhawk
18th September 2005, 21:36
I have medium shoulder length hair and I know the problem. I usually just plat it and have it outisde my jacket as it gets too hot and annyoing to keep it tucked in.
Other alternative is to clip it up on top of your head using bobby pins so your neck is free at the back.

Aitch
18th September 2005, 21:58

Get a haircut!

parsley
18th September 2005, 22:10
Get a haircut!
Wow, lucky that there weren't four other posts on this thread saying the same thing. :yeah:

froggyfrenchman
18th September 2005, 22:12
i just handle it, knotted hair is part of riding

Liv, Norway
19th September 2005, 05:53
There is a good thing about having ''helmet hair'';
you can have a ''bad-hair-day'' and not a soul will notice! :LOL:

I got hair, I wash it, and if it get in my eye I tie it up. -Is there a problem?

Liv.

thehollowmen
19th September 2005, 08:00
There is a girl I take for rides who looks VERY hot with helmet hair.

Very very very wierd.
Don't know anybody else who can pull it off

Scruff
19th September 2005, 09:27
My hair is quite long but not as long as Tony Mc's.What I have been doing for at least 15 yr's is using a pony tail with a hiar tie at the top and another at the bottom.I do put it in my jacket but it usually escapes.Sometime's I do get tangles in the last couple of inche's but nothing drastic unless the bottom tie comes off.

Hitcher
19th September 2005, 10:20

In the words of the prophet George Thoroughgood, "Get a haircut (and a real job)!"

Big Dave
19th September 2005, 10:55
In the words of the prophet George Thoroughgood, "Get a haircut (and a real job)!"

FUCK NO. Never again.

Patrick
19th September 2005, 11:09
Don't have that problem any more as it all fell out!

:lol: :lol:

Razor with aloe shave gel, smooth as babys bum, girls like touching it too...(no, I mean the top one...this time...). That'll fix the "problem" :rofl:

ktee
19th September 2005, 12:31
I saw a guy (at least I think it was a guy!) a week or so back, on the motorway down Wellington way. Obviously his hair was tied and went down his back, under his jacket, with about 3inches flapping around at the bottom of his jacket. It gave me a bit of a chuckle really.

I myself have long hair and just go with the flow. Depends how I feel on the day. The only thing is, sometimes the hair tickles my chin - now thats annoying.

Hitcher
19th September 2005, 12:38
Razor with aloe shave gel, smooth as babys bum, girls like touching it too...(no, I mean the top one...this time...). That'll fix the "problem"
Ahh. The "chemo" look. The only thing sadder than going bald naturally...

Big Dave
19th September 2005, 12:46
There is a girl I take for rides who looks VERY hot .....
Don't know anybody else who can pull it off

Why should you - The biker code says that if you have taken her for a ride - that's the least she's expected to do.

Patrick
19th September 2005, 14:28
Ahh. The "chemo" look. The only thing sadder than going bald naturally...

Been there, done that...just getting rid of the fluff / comb over stuff...

Hitcher
19th September 2005, 14:57
Been there, done that...just getting rid of the fluff / comb over stuff...
The Steve Crowe (what a handsome chap) look versus the comb-over. It's a toss-up as to which is the sadder...

Patrick
19th September 2005, 15:04
The Steve Crowe (what a handsome chap) look versus the comb-over. It's a toss-up as to which is the sadder...

Unsure who Steve CROWE is...??? Maybe you're talking of Martin CROWE, the punch n grow look??? The comb over has to be the saddest...especially when the wind catches it and turns it into a sail, pushing the wearer sideways...

Hitcher
19th September 2005, 18:56
Unsure who Steve CROWE is...??? Maybe you're talking of Martin CROWE, the punch n grow look??? The comb over has to be the saddest...especially when the wind catches it and turns it into a sail, pushing the wearer sideways...
I had forgotten about Martin. How sad is that? Another sorry example of hair abuse. And then, I guess is the toupee, that bri-nylon form of denial. As Mr Tui may say: "Why that's the most natural toupee I've ever seen"...

Steve Crowe is New Zealand's self-professed king of porn.

hXc
19th September 2005, 19:38
I saw a guy (at least I think it was a guy!) a week or so back, on the motorway down Wellington way. Obviously his hair was tied and went down his back, under his jacket, with about 3inches flapping around at the bottom of his jacket. It gave me a bit of a chuckle really.

I myself have long hair and just go with the flow. Depends how I feel on the day. The only thing is, sometimes the hair tickles my chin - now thats annoying.

Used to have shoulder length hair and absolutely HATED it when it tickled my chin. And trying to tuck it behind your ear when going at 140ish, with big fat gloves on and a helmet in the way is kind of hard. Don't have long hair now so not a problem. Just looks like I have a mini mullet now. It's like half a mohawk really.

Waylander
19th September 2005, 19:40
gave up the fight. Got my hair cut a few weeks ago. Keeping it short now. Never could get it to grow longer than just under my ears so decided to forgo the whole thing and just keep it short now.

Patrick
19th September 2005, 19:50
I had forgotten about Martin. How sad is that? Another sorry example of hair abuse. And then, I guess is the toupee, that bri-nylon form of denial. As Mr Tui may say: "Why that's the most natural toupee I've ever seen"...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steve Crowe is New Zealand's self-professed king of porn.

Ahhh....the Prez of that "other" Whitehouse????

Kornholio
26th September 2005, 22:27
Speaking of long hair...I came up behind a 650 Daytona and there was a very sexy chick riding it, she had purply red hair coming out from behind her helmet and a very cute ass in leathers :D Was riding with a few bikes and we all stopped and chatted up the road...I should have got her number doh , didnt even get her name :(
Hopefully our paths will cross again...

Unit
30th October 2005, 09:37
Helmet hair, dont really care at all. Spend all week dressing girly for work so when I pull my bike out I dont give a toss how I look. Long hair not bothering me (and its getting longer cause I cant be stuff keeping it groomed), just sweep it back, drag helmet on, stuff remainder down back of jacket. The worst part is it slows me down when kitting up to take off on next leg of journey and I get left behind. Dont even bother wearing make-up now either cause I like to ride with my visor up at times then the eyes water and the eyeliner runs, you know what I mean... :whocares:

Unit
30th October 2005, 09:39
Speaking of long hair...I came up behind a 650 Daytona and there was a very sexy chick riding it, she had purply red hair coming out from behind her helmet and a very cute ass in leathers :D Was riding with a few bikes and we all stopped and chatted up the road...I should have got her number doh , didnt even get her name :(
Hopefully our paths will cross again...
Ever thought of taking the number plate? VIRs (Vehicle Information Reports) are very handy theses days, geees, do we have to become agony aunts now? :psst: