PDA

View Full Version : Mold for fiberglass fairings

Motoracer
16th February 2004, 11:55
I have the TZR 250 with some pretty old fairings. Some of it is cracking and breaking off on its own. I would like to make my own new fairing with different desgines.

there is just the one problem. What do you guys reckon I should make the mold out off? I have had a look at some other forums on the net but most of them talk about using the original fairings as the mold for the easy way out. Since I would like better aerodynamics and looks, I need to go with my own desgines. Any thoughts guys?

P.S. I am also thinking of useing carbon fiber sheets for support from the inside (good idea/bad idea?).

Sharkey
16th February 2004, 13:48
I thought about doing that, but the biggest problem seemed to me to be symmetry between the left and right.

From brief readings of books on fibreglassing, I understand that the thing to do is build/carve a wooden (mdf/ply) model of what you want, glass it to make a negative mold, and use this to get the finished product. All rather convoluted, costly and difficult really.

Good Luck.

Motoracer
16th February 2004, 13:57
hmmm thanx for the input. Will let you know on this thread how I get on with.

Dave
17th February 2004, 14:03
That is a massive amount of work. Chances are your going to try to make it look like something that is already out there- so if you can figure out what look your going for, then just buy the race fairing for that bike and modify it to suit.

Awesome place to buy fairings is Racers edge in australia-quite cheap,very thin/light and nicely finished.we brought three sets this season and they slipped straight on-no mods.

Motoracer
26th February 2004, 10:03
After seeing SPman's Avatar, I really want to make some cool as farings now. I have just had an idea about using clay to construct the shape I want then I'll make the fiberglass mold from that then I'll create the fairngs from the mold.

Does anyone have any sculpting experience with clay? Desgine people or Artists maybe on the site? Where I can find the proper clay that I need etc. Thanx in advance.

riffer
26th February 2004, 10:24
Jeez - what a hassle. Save yourself some time and money unless you're dead keen.

This guy has TZR fairings for sale:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/0001-0026-0135-/auction-9201146.htm

Motoracer
26th February 2004, 10:30
Thanx but I am not doing the side fairings. They are ok as is. Just the front and tail fairings are butt ugly I reckon. But maybe I should just sell the bike and get a newer bike. Hmmmmm, I'll research on clay a bit further first.

Hoon
26th February 2004, 20:19
Have a look thru http://www.justfairings.co.nz and see which ones suit your fancy. Its would be way easier to fit another bikes fairing than to try create one from scratch with no experience. Also with race bikes you have a lot more flexibility and its no worries to grind off brackets/mounts and make up your own "lightweight" ones.

Motoracer
26th February 2004, 21:49
Yea, I know eh. I was just looking through that site before. The Honda and Aprilia RS fairings are cool as. But I am not sure what to do now. I might just save up some money, sell the TZR and get an early 90s NSR cause the 87 TZR is going to need a hell of a lot of work to make it look, feel and go like a mordern'ish 2 stroke race rep.

Jackrat
26th February 2004, 21:50
Use polystrene to make your mould in the same way you would if useing ply.
You can buy it in sheets of any size or thickness you want.Once you have mounted it up you can use an electric knife to shape it and finish with an orbital sander.After you have set your glass you can just wash the poly' out with a solvent.Wear breathing filters as you will produce some evil fumes.
By the time you have ruined your first one you will be an expert.
Cheers.

Motoracer
26th February 2004, 21:56
I had actually thought of this. Doesn't the glassing chemicals melt the polystrene? If I could use polystrene, I think it would be quite a realistic project. I was thinking of applying vasaline or grease on top of the polystrene before glassing it up. Anyway, I'll see which way I go and if I do end up starting on this project, I'll definetly do a write up on this thread with pics and everything.

Thanx for the responces guys.