PDA

View Full Version : Loss Of Power At High RPM??????

Two Smoker
16th February 2004, 18:16
hey guys, does ne1 know nething bout RG150's???

Mine has lost power in the upper power band (10-13000rpm mark), it only feels like it has about 75% of the power. I hav taken out the carb, cleaned and readjusted it. That didnt do the trick still has the power problem. The biggest thing that is stumping me is tht the problem is only tempremental (until the ride about 30 mins ago where i didnt get full power back at all).

Sometimes i wood hav full power back and comfortably redline the first 3 gears frm the lights. Then a little while later it will struggle to pass the 12000rpm, its not because of thrashing it coz i try to ride it sort of easy (it being a 2 stroke and all)

Some times it feels like there isnt enuff fuel getting into the engine, and other times it feels like the exhaust valve actuator isnt working properly?

Has ne1 encountered this problem before??? Ne comments with help wood b gr8

Cheers

Jackrat
16th February 2004, 22:08
Maybe it needs a valve grind or a new cam chain or sumint like that.
Oh hang on I know what ya' problem is :doh: :lol:

FzerozeroT
17th February 2004, 06:26
how about the temp? if your thermstat is broken and engine cools down below tuned specs then mixture / airflow inside engine can change, the only place you will really notice it is in powerband, my bike is having same problem, won't rev past 7000 for 10 mins, then 8g, 9g,10g etc and I'm putting it down to thermostat. getting it done on fri in time for paeroa!

Motu
17th February 2004, 06:53
If this thing is a 2 stroke the power valve could be siezed or sticky - strip clean and lube...or replace.

Dave
17th February 2004, 13:53
Ya probably fucked it!

Two Smoker
17th February 2004, 19:28
Ya probably fucked it!
LOL i probably have f#@d it! Im goin to check the power valve tomoro, failing that i hav to get it diagnosed coz the only thing left is the electrics:weep:

Thanks guys for giving me some info and ur prospectives

:) Cheers

curious george
17th February 2004, 19:41
Uhhhhh, I didn't hink they were ment to rev quite that fast!?!!
Mine peaks quite nicely at 10k, and slows down quite soon after that. Rev limiter or something stops it at about 11k. The manual in big bold type reads "NEVER EXCEDE 10,500 RPM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES"
Becides, if you look at the power and torque curves, there isn't much there after 10,000 amyway.....13000 rpm? poor little bike..........
As Dave said.....YPFI

Two Smoker
17th February 2004, 19:46
Uhhhhh, I didn't hink they were ment to rev quite that fast!?!!
Mine peaks quite nicely at 10k, and slows down quite soon after that. Rev limiter or something stops it at about 11k. The manual in big bold type reads "NEVER EXCEDE 10,500 RPM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES"
Becides, if you look at the power and torque curves, there isn't much there after 10,000 amyway.....13000 rpm? poor little bike..........
As Dave said.....YPFI
yea, the bike read lines at 13000RPM and hits cut out at 14000RPM the peak power is around 12000RPM because someone before me took all the baffling out of the exhaust before me I know the power drops right on 13000rpm (as im sure u know riding a 2 stroke its like hitting a wall at that point lol). I know the guy before me didnt ride it hard and i only ride it hard occasionally, hopefully it'll be ok:yes:

Wheeliemonsta
21st February 2004, 10:43
Have you thought of checking for a leaking crank seal... given the fact you are obviously caining the snot out of it...

Mind you... thats what there built for...!!!

C U :brick:

RiderInBlack
26th February 2004, 07:22
yea, the bike read lines at 13000RPM and hits cut out at 14000RPM the peak power is around 12000RPM because someone before me took all the baffling out of the exhaust before me I know the power drops right on 13000rpm (as im sure u know riding a 2 stroke its like hitting a wall at that point lol). I know the guy before me didnt ride it hard and i only ride it hard occasionally, hopefully it'll be ok:yes:

Had simialar problem on my Suzuki GXSR250 (four stroke in-line four). Had re-placed engine before finding that the loss of power was due to one of the two coils being f*cked (apparantly a common fault of Suzuki's). Replaced with CBR250RR coils. Bike purred like a demon again. By the way it "cruised" at 10000RPM (doing 100KPM in top gear) and red-lined at 17000RPM (160KPM with a 80L back-pack on the back)! These engines were made for trashing. That's how they keep up with the big bikes :ride: :p

MikeL
26th February 2004, 09:07
These engines were made for trashing

...or possibly just thrashing...

RiderInBlack
26th February 2004, 11:20
...or possibly just thrashing...
:Oops: meant "thrushing" :confused2 What the f*ck, are you all English f*cken teachers :finger: . So my spelling is bad :whocares: . Least you knew what I was trying to say. Stick to the topic :Offtopic: and leave the spelling leasons for the classroom.