PDA

View Full Version : Running a red light

Eddy
1st November 2005, 18:53
today i accelerated through an orange light which turned red on me. I then had a police officer jump out infront of me in the middle of the road & wave me into a carpark. he said that there was another cop watching the intersection & said i went through a red light. i am positive the light was orange when i crossed the line but admit that i made a bad judgement call & left it a bit late. The cop estimated that i was doing 70ks which is about right, I had my details & a statement taken but was not given a ticket or any paperwork. when he told me i could leave i had 2 ask what i was getting done for & was told either running the red & speeding which is about $300 & some demerits or dangerous driving & loose my lisence for 6months but it was upto his boss & he would have to talk to him later. I was not even told when or how i will find out what i am being charged with. Does anyone have any advise that could be useful because now it is just my word against the cops so it looks like i might be outa luck, i already have 50 demerit points & cant afford to loose mi lisence because i need it to testride bikes at work.

justsomeguy
1st November 2005, 19:40
You outta luck budy. Failing to yield for a solid amber light is the same penalty as failing to yield for a solid red anyway.

What???

Isn't it stop if you safely can?? Whereas running a red is the offence??

Oh - how do u define a solid amber?

Ixion
1st November 2005, 20:17
Land Transport Regulations (Driver Rule) 2004

(4)While a steady yellow signal in the form of a disc is displayed,—

(a)a driver facing the signal must not enter the controlled area while the signal is displayed unless the driver's vehicle is, when the signal first appears, so close to the controlled area that it cannot safely be stopped before entering the area:

(b)pedestrians facing the signal must not enter the roadway unless a special signal for pedestrians indicates a green walking human figure symbol.

LAND TRANSPORT (OFFENCES AND PENALTIES) REGULATIONS 1999
SCHEDULES
[SCHEDULE 1

3.2(4)(a) Driver enters controlled 1,000 - 150 -
area when yellow signal
displayed

$150 fine. Absurdly, it seems that you do n't get any demerits. But you do for going through a give way sign.

So, no L plate means 25 demerits. Hooting through a red light , that's fine . Wonder which is more dangerous. You might think that the LTSA are a bunch of constipated wankers, busy peddling a political agenda , without any actual concern for road safety. I couldn't possible comment

madboy
1st November 2005, 20:54
Hard luck, but as you've already admitted, in hindsight it wasn't a goer. If I was a betting man I'd say you'll get the fines, not the dangerous. You'll either get a ticket in the mail, or nothing at all (bonus :))

Milky
1st November 2005, 21:29
What???

Isn't it stop if you safely can?? Whereas running a red is the offence??

Oh - how do u define a solid amber?

I got pulled for going thru on an amber, but I wrote in and explained that I was too close to the intersection to stop safely, and that the light hadnt changed to red before I crossed the line on the other side. It also helped my case that the officer said it was an offence to go through on amber, that the lights are phased so you can stop safely, and accused me of speeding to top it off.

Solid amber is the usual case, flashing amber is the special case where you apply give way rules.

Indoo
1st November 2005, 23:17
because now it is just my word against the cops so it looks like i might be outa luck, i already have 50 demerit points & cant afford to loose mi lisence because i need it to testride bikes at work.

But according to your word you were doing around 70kmh, accelerated into an intersection and failed to comply with an orange traffic signal. If your buggered even according to your version of events it generally isn't the best idea to contest it.

(4)While a steady yellow signal in the form of a disc is displayed,—

(a)a driver facing the signal must not enter the controlled area while the signal is displayed unless the driver's vehicle is, when the signal first appears, so close to the controlled area that it cannot safely be stopped before entering the area:

(b)pedestrians facing the signal must not enter the roadway unless a special signal for pedestrians indicates a green walking human figure symbol.

One wonders then how this would apply to those right / left turn arrows? They're not the form of a disc so you could run them all you want?

Da Bird
1st November 2005, 23:56
One wonders then how this would apply to those right / left turn arrows? They're not the form of a disc so you could run them all you want?

Don't worry, there are other regulations covering arrows.

What made me laugh a bit was that the officer would "have to check with his boss". Maybe he was new, but if not, he needs to start making decisions on his own. Its not rocket science.

In my opinion, you will probably get one for a red light ($150) and possibly accelerating through an intersection ($150). I wasn't there so can't really comment on whether it was dangerous but I've never done anyone for dangerous for going through a red light.

And re demerits - yes, I queried that when they bought out the new demerit offences several months back. Absolutely crazy that red light runners dont get demerits.

BC.

Ixion
1st November 2005, 23:57
No, there's another section covers the arrows. OP was straight head I think

3.3.Traffic signals in form of arrow—
(2)While a yellow signal in the form of an arrow is displayed,—

(a)a driver facing the signal must not enter the controlled area and must not make the movement indicated by the signal, unless the driver intends to proceed in the direction indicated by the signal and, when the signal first appears, the driver's vehicle is so close to the controlled area that it cannot safely be stopped before entering the area:

What?
2nd November 2005, 05:30
today i accelerated through an orange light which turned red on me. I then had a police officer jump out...
Sorry dude, but no sympathy from me. If you saw the light go red, especially at 70K, you could have easily stopped.

dangerous
2nd November 2005, 06:10
Sorry dude, but no sympathy from me. If you saw the light go red, especially at 70K, you could have easily stopped.
Same.......... running red lights in Chch HAS become a accepted habbit, and it seems that the coppers arnt doing shit about it.

Traffic keeps flowing through ambers and reds aswell as traffic sitting in the center of the rd waiting to turn right, which means theyare well into a red... its a big fuk up and getting worse.
I do not like riding in town these days its getting bloody mad...... do you lot find the same in other cities?

The cop estimated that i was doing 70ks which is about right,
I hope that you wernt in a 50k zone..... if so then you dumbarse, slow down other wise I'll see ya on the other side :mellow:

Sniper
2nd November 2005, 06:59
Sorry mate, like the others I feel no sympathy for ya. The feeling I get is that you sped upto 70Km to get through the light that you would have been well aware was amber.

Hope you learned your lesson.

jrandom
2nd November 2005, 08:52
yes, Im with Sniper on this one, afraid you just need to suck it up and start being consientus about stopping for the orange light. intersections are where bikers die.

if your in a hurry, make up for lost time by filtering, if you like, but dont run the orange or reds. snot worth it.

Monsterbishi
2nd November 2005, 11:39
+1 for the above, anyone who acts like you did needs to consider how much danger you create to people coming from the other direction at the lights, all it takes is a car to still be rolling as their light turns green, they move up to speed, and your bike is suddenly wedged in their lap.

MisterD
2nd November 2005, 13:01
On the other hand, as is regularly pointed out on here bikes stop waay quicker than cages....I always run ambers just in case some cage behind me is going "not see me".

How many times do you do it, think "that was a bit norty" to yourself and see three cars cross after you?

T.I.E
2nd November 2005, 13:19
On the other hand, as is regularly pointed out on here bikes stop waay quicker than cages....I always run ambers just in case some cage behind me is going "not see me".

How many times do you do it, think "that was a bit norty" to yourself and see three cars cross after you?

totally agree have always seen many cars running lights when i thought running the orange was naughty.

but it does worry me the ammount of fines and silly ones i am seeing up on this site.
shame we can't see the policeman/womans point of view. but it certainly seems like they are filling out alot of stupid tickets for meaningless things.
but running the amber and speeding up. na sorry think you will just have to bite the bullet.

riffer
2nd November 2005, 13:26
..I always run ambers just in case some cage behind me is going "not see me".

Sheesh.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day. You're much more likely to get hit by someone jumping the light than someone hitting you from behind.

I hope you've got good medical insurance. You're gonna need it.

:argh:

MisterD
2nd November 2005, 14:30
So far so good, and I'm riding just the same way I did when I started in London. I'm just happier taking a chance with stuff that's in front of me...

dangerous
2nd November 2005, 18:21
On the other hand, as is regularly pointed out on here bikes stop waay quicker than cages....
What a fucking lot a shit, LMFAO....... most cars have anti skid systems on them, bikes only stop quicker when they hit a cage :brick:
Mate..... use ya mirrors they are ya best mate on the bike if ther is someone following to close... then do what ya have to.... you shoud always be awear of your suroundings ok?

....I always run ambers just in case some cage behind me is going "not see me"
dumb.... just dumb :spudgrr:

Lou Girardin
3rd November 2005, 07:24
Sheesh.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day. You're much more likely to get hit by someone jumping the light than someone hitting you from behind.

I hope you've got good medical insurance. You're gonna need it.

:argh:

Nose to tails are by far the most common accidents in cities. They can kill us just as easily as a T bone.

MisterD
3rd November 2005, 09:55
Mate..... use ya mirrors they are ya best mate on the bike if ther is someone following to close... then do what ya have to.... you shoud always be awear of your suroundings ok?

dumb.... just dumb :spudgrr:

Hell, this is Dorkland, everyone follows too close. The vast majority of my riding is d2d commuting which means everyone tries to squeeze through every set of lights right up to the first 1-2 seconds of red.

Traffic from other roads into intersections is always queued up (and I might add I can't think of a single intersection where I don't have a good view of every incoming direction) so the chances of someone getting a flyer and hitting me going through on amber (not red, ever) are pretty slim.

I would also point of I'm 35, and I have ten years+ of high (cage) mileage as a sales rep in the UK before I came over so I do rate my ability to anticpate what others are going to do around me.... :calm:

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 11:47
you did it and Id say it was a sting op. Hard to tell exactly when it went red when your riding though it. Id pay the fine and move on mate

I have ten years+ of high (cage) mileage as a sales rep in the UK before I came over so I do rate my ability to anticpate what others are going to do around me.... :calm:

Nothing against you personally mate but it's been my experience in the uk that the sales reps are not good drivers at all... same thing as taxi drivers... I think they get to a point where they've been on the road so much they can't be bothered to check mirrors and signal, they get too relaxed.

And the bit about your ability to anticipate what a car driver is going to do? Rubbish mate... I've only been driving / riding in Auckland for 3 months, and if there is one thing you can't do, that's telling which way some cage driver is going to go.

MisterD
3rd November 2005, 13:57
Nothing against you personally mate but it's been my experience in the uk that the sales reps are not good drivers at all... same thing as taxi drivers... I think they get to a point where they've been on the road so much they can't be bothered to check mirrors and signal, they get too relaxed..

I disagree (well I would), it's like anything else, the more practice, the better you get. The downside for reps, is tiredness, pushing it 'cos you're running late and trying to read a map and drive at the same time...the upside is that you spend a lot of time on unfamilar roads which does help your skill level.

And the bit about your ability to anticipate what a car driver is going to do? Rubbish mate... I've only been driving / riding in Auckland for 3 months, and if there is one thing you can't do, that's telling which way some cage driver is going to go.

Oh you can...the WRONG way...every time :done:

FlyingDutchMan
8th November 2005, 19:44
The way I understood the red light rule was if you were in the intersection when the light turns red, you've run a red light. Only exception if you're turning and waiting for the traffic to get the hell out of the way.

marty
8th November 2005, 20:08
today i accelerated through an orange light which turned red on me. I then had a police officer jump out infront of me in the middle of the road & wave me into a carpark. he said that there was another cop watching the intersection & said i went through a red light. i am positive the light was orange when i crossed the line but admit that i made a bad judgement call & left it a bit late. The cop estimated that i was doing 70ks which is about right, I had my details & a statement taken but was not given a ticket or any paperwork. when he told me i could leave i had 2 ask what i was getting done for & was told either running the red & speeding which is about $300 & some demerits or dangerous driving & loose my lisence for 6months but it was upto his boss & he would have to talk to him later. I was not even told when or how i will find out what i am being charged with. Does anyone have any advise that could be useful because now it is just my word against the cops so it looks like i might be outa luck, i already have 50 demerit points & cant afford to loose mi lisence because i need it to testride bikes at work.

if you can process the orange light, think 'shall i stop or go - nah, i'll go', then accelerate, then it turns red while you're in the intersection, then i suggest that you're fucked, and you'll have to wear it.

you could defend it for a laugh, unfortunately, it'll be at your expense

Beemer
18th November 2005, 09:28
I got done for going through an orange light many years ago in a car. I was about 10m from the intersection with another vehicle right up my date when the light changed, so I didn't even think twice about carrying on through as I certainly didn't expect to stop in 10m at 50kph. The car behind me saw the cop waiting to turn from a side street and jammed on his brakes, ending up about half a car length into the intersection I'd gone through. HE didn't get a ticket though, I did, and for running a red light. I knew I hadn't run a red light and thought the road code was very clear in its instruction to stop if you can do so safely, or proceed, which is exactly what I did, so I contested the ticket and went to court.

I took along all the letters I had written to the police about red light runners at the Haywards Hill lights, to prove I hated people who didn't stop for the lights, but I was not permitted to introduce the evidence, and was asked very patronisingly by the prosecuting sergeant if I thought I had more experience in traffic matters than a cop with 25 years experience? They then tried to alter the charge to going through an orange light rather than a red, but the JP hearing the case said he felt they had proved their case. Result? Lost half a day's pay, got the fine reduced (despite the JP saying they had proved their case), but still had to pay court costs, and got (I think) 35 demerit points. For a long time afterwards I dreaded green lights because I was petrified if they turned orange on me, and my feelings towards the police changed too. I knew damned well I had NOT gone through a red light but got convicted of doing so, and I still maintain that I would have ended up being hit by the guy behind me if I had tried to stop.

I wouldn't bother fighting it if it ever happened again - unless I had the police commissioner in the passenger seat and he told me to proceed!

Lou Girardin
18th November 2005, 12:12
JP's, you gotta love 'em. Incapable of doing their normal jobs due to age, so they retire and become court cheerleaders for the Plod.

TLRulz
23rd November 2005, 17:06
Give the guy a brake, he obviously is remorsefull and we have all run red lights on occasion.
But I aggree a fine is on the way.
Maybe you could go back to he intersection and check the fazing, maybe there is only a short orange faze? Anyway you were speeding so you still wouldn't have stopped safely.
I suppose unless you can come up with a really god excuse, there's nothing to do but wait and hope for the smaller fine.

What?
23rd November 2005, 18:23
...and we have all run red lights on occasion.
Really? All of us?? I think not...

TLRulz
24th November 2005, 16:11
Not deliberately mind you, just when caught out with a shorter than expected phase change or on a big intersection in busy period.

Macktheknife
24th November 2005, 17:59
I hope you dont get anything for this mate, sounds like a rough deal to me. Do be careful around those lights tho man cause there are often dumbasses that think they can go on any colour, saw one today actually!