PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki GPX250

gamgee
1st November 2005, 20:42
Just looking at getting one of these and was wondering how reliable they are?
what are the faults with this model and what sort of things should i look out for when i go to inspect it, any information hints and tips with this model would be appreciated, thanks

curious george
1st November 2005, 20:59
I had one of those a few years back... My bro's still got it.
Done about 60k, but now making god awful knocking noise when cold.
Suspension is VERY soft, so if you are a big fulla, consider improving that with stiffer springs and what-not.
16" tires limit you somewhat, but only of you want sticky rubber.
Brake discs are solid, non floating type, so easily made, (guy in Waihi does them), as well as farings by the bloke in hamilton.
Actually go pretty well for a 250, although not as sporty as a CBR or ZXR.
Parallel twin, good sound, you should get much enjoyment from if for a few years as a commuter after you get the urge for something faster.

gamgee
1st November 2005, 21:05
yeah thats all i want is something fully faired, thats good and reliable, and still packs a bit of a punch, not to worried if the guys on the zxr's etc can go a wee bit faster, they're paying 2-3k more for their bikes so thats sort of expected, the one i'm looking at has done 37000km:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-39514226.htm
so it'll probably need the cam chain replaced soon?
looks pretty tidy tho, they have the same engine as the zzr250 don't they?

gamgee
1st November 2005, 22:11
hi there gamgee,

The GPX is just the younger bro of a ZZR250, basically same specs etc just minus the fancier body work.
If i remember right, their about the same hp as your vt but just a bit more rev happy, the motors are fairly solid & reliable used to be good for around 185kmh & are fairly light on the juice. The last models with the twin disc front end are the pick of the bunch (only because of slightly better braking).
Main things to check would be linkages in the uni-trak suspension (needle roller bearings & collets), they can get overlooked & the dust caps never sealed very well (they get gunged-up with crap easy). top end is slightly noisey but most kwackas were of that era (but not really rattley)
A GPZ500 donk can be slung into the frame pretty easy too! (a mate did it)
They handle well when the front is dropped about 5mm in the triple clamps (just puts a bit more weight over the front, makes it a bit more stable).

T.W.R
just so i can keep it all in one thread for future reference

T.W.R
1st November 2005, 22:33
Just had a nosey at the link to trademe, it looks tidy enough Gamgee.
the pipes aren't stock but thats to be expected though.

The easiest way to check the rear linkage apart from a visual check (check for a rusty/brownish stain around the linkage knuckle & perished dust covers by the link pins) is to put the bike on the centre stand (as per the t/m pics) stand at the rear of the bike lean over the seat & grab the rear wheel with both hands and pull it up towards the guard ( there shouldn't be any noticeable slop/ notchy movement) it should feel as though your just compressing the suspension(smooth & firm).
It would pay to check the head-bearings as well (can be prone to getting sloppy on a bike that age), either get someone to sit on the bike(on pillion seat) while its on the C/S so the fronts off the ground then turn the bars from lock to lock (should be smooth & firm) & also giggle back & forth (there shouldn't be any slop) another way is to grab the bars from the front hold the front brake on and pull the bike towards you (if the bearings are worn it will feel notchy.

Gremlin
2nd November 2005, 00:59
yeah, I believe the gpx is quite similar to the zzr (I even have a front mudguard from a gpx on, when there weren't any zzr ones).

Motor-wise (it apparently being the same as the zzr) I would seriously doubt the 185km/h figure. I have had mine to 160 flat tack down a small hill. On the flat, 150 is about it, on the tank.

How much do you weigh?? Suspension is very soft on the zzr, just had mine hardened a lot. Otherwise, they are supposed to be a reliable bike, basically a slower version of the zxr type bikes.

Not sure, but I think the US got the gpx, zzr is japan, but the US might have got the zzr, rebranded as EX... just guessing a bit

T.W.R
2nd November 2005, 07:49
[QUOTEMotor-wise (it apparently being the same as the zzr) I would seriously doubt the 185km/h figure. I have had mine to 160 flat tack down a small hill. On the flat, 150 is about it, on the tank.

this was in the days when they were brand new fella, the ZZR250 is hauling around more weight plus more restrictive exhaust etc, ( almost detuned compared to the original GPXs)

the GPX was only an update of the GPZ250 ( the oddly styled 1s) which were derived frin the original Z250 scorpion ( it was air cooled, & styled like the classic Zs)

The 185kmh is from when they were new (its only 115mph) and at the time they were the top 4stroke 250 sportsbike on the block competing with 2strokes that were hitting the 200km+ zone. and 7yrs earlier the VT when released was the first 250 4stroke to do a genuine 100mph

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 08:18
thanks for all the info, so mechanically they sound pretty reliable, which is what i want, i'll make sure to check the things you've listed and will probably get the cam chain done as soon as i buy it, roughly how much will it cost to get a cam chain replaced on one of these (i can't do it myself)

MSTRS
2nd November 2005, 08:47
The GPX250 has the same engine as Yungatart's EL250. They are solid & reliable, but apparently prone to bottomend knock at idle when cold. I'm told this is normal & nothing to worry about. The petrol tanks on the GPX are bad for rust & replacement tanks that are any better are hard to find. As far as top speed - I'd say 150-160 should be about it. Talk to Speights_bud, he just bought one.

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 09:15
would welding up holes as they appear work? also what sort of price (roughly) would i be looking at to have a new cam chain fitted?

T.W.R
2nd November 2005, 09:26
thanks for all the info, so mechanically they sound pretty reliable, which is what i want, i'll make sure to check the things you've listed and will probably get the cam chain done as soon as i buy it, roughly how much will it cost to get a cam chain replaced on one of these (i can't do it myself)

probably around the $90 mark for a chain & possibly a gasket(what ever the list price is for that?) depending on how efficient the shop is it shouldn't be more than a 2hr job so what ever the shops charge rate is?(the cost is in the strip-down & re-assembly)
it would pay to check the wheel bearings & swingarm bearings as well.

change the plugs, do an oil & filter change & check clean/or replace the air filter also.

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 09:31
yup yup yup, will do all that as soon as i get it, if i win the auction, it is definitely top priority on my watchlist right now, thanks guys

T.W.R
2nd November 2005, 09:31
would welding up holes as they appear work? also what sort of price (roughly) would i be looking at to have a new cam chain fitted?

hassle getting tanks welded (brazed), its mainly around the seams underneath. only happens when the tank has been run empty & left for ages etc, if its been continually used and kept reasonably full most of the time you wont have any probs

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 09:37
hassle getting tanks welded (brazed), its mainly around the seams underneath. only happens when the tank has been run empty & left for ages etc, if its been continually used and kept reasonably full most of the time you wont have any probs

yeah i'll be using it every day so it just depends what sort of treatment it's had from the previous owners i'll give the tank a decent look over as well, but from what you've said i'll probably buy it anyway and just stick a tank off a different bike on it or something (if i do run into problems)

T.W.R
2nd November 2005, 09:43
just have a good perv inside the tank with a torch.And any bubbles in the paint along the seams externally is a sure sign of problems
there is a tank additive you can get to cure any possible rust problems ( can't remember the name though, sorry)

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 10:34
cheers i'll check that out, my dads a mechanic so he'll probably know what your talking about

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 13:26
How much do you weigh?? Suspension is very soft on the zzr, just had mine hardened a lot. Otherwise, they are supposed to be a reliable bike, basically a slower version of the zxr type bikes.

I only weigh 60kg, so that shouldn't be a problem for me :wari:

campbellluke
2nd November 2005, 14:52
What's wrong with the 250 that you have right now?

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 15:44
What's wrong with the 250 that you have right now?
nothing
i just want to get a fully faired bike, it's looks really haha don't judge me :dodge:

curious george
2nd November 2005, 15:52
Just another thought... I founf the seat prety uncomfortable after a fairly short time, about 1 1/2 -2 hours?
Nothing a new bit of foam and leather couldnt fox though

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 15:56
yeah the one i'm looking at has had the seat re done

campbellluke
2nd November 2005, 16:14
I know someone in Otago with one. Been crashed a few times. 1988-89 model bought it for 4.2K. What a ripoff. I actually hate the bike, it is too slow. Rather have yours or mine. I think that if you get a full faired bike. Get a 4 cylinder.

I overtook one on SH1 a month or two ago and he tried to keep up. After 150 he was struggling and over 165+ I was pulling away. So Im guess that their top speed is between 150-160 when is pretty darn slow. They would struggle to cruise at 130-140 all day long. Your bike should top one of them peace of piss.

Edit: I not trying to promote speeding in saying that. Just saying that they are too slow for the open road.

gamgee
2nd November 2005, 16:30
yeah i prefer reliability over the ability to go 150k/h in a 250cc bike though, the gpx is suposedly (according to online tests) faster than the vt, i'll take the gpx for a decent test ride tho, i'm not going to rush in and buy another slow arse bike that can't get up hills

SuperDave
2nd November 2005, 16:47
A guy at school has one and it goes better than I thought it would. It kept up fairly well with me on the ZXR and my mate on a bandit 250 on a twisty route.

If you want a fully faired biked for the protection it offers bear in mind whilst this bike looks fully faired the side fairings don't stick out as wide as the zxr or cbr so I would assume they don't provide as much protection from wind/rain.

campbellluke
2nd November 2005, 16:50
So, your VT is not a "slow assed bike"? You just don't like the fact that it is not full fairing? http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/408228/ - Bastards at the site haven't "approved" the model. But that is my bike. That has even less ferring than your VT? Man you must hate my bike!

I honestly feel that if you buy a gpx250 you are buying a bike that can't go up hills. For that you need a 4.

My bike has been super reliable like most 250 4s. From a 12 year old jap import with 6K to a 14 year old coming up 40K mileage sooner or later. Only problem it has given me was electical (transistor) which I replaced at a wreckors for $200.

T.W.R
2nd November 2005, 17:56
I honestly feel that if you buy a gpx250 you are buying a bike that can't go up hills. For that you need a 4.

mmm interesting statement ? maybe a 250 4 would pull up a hill harder than a twin by winding the balls off it! theres a small thing you forgot TORQUE! see the katana 250 ( same motor as a GF,ACROSS,GSX-R etc) would be pulling in excess of 5 figures going up the Kilmog where something such as the GPX would be doing it easier! the Katana's pistons would be doing about 35meters per second or more & the GPX's would be doing in the mid twenties eg easier!
A huge amount of people on bikes get misconceptions about the power of a bike because of HP figures, where in the real world the Torque an engine produces is the more important fact!
Out on the open road the torque of an engine is used far more often than the horsepower.

campbellluke
3rd November 2005, 16:39
I admit that because of my lack of torque I have to drop a gear for the kilmog. But I still can still ride up it at 160 in 5th at 15000rpm exactly. I want to see a gpx250 top that.

I guess that I can ride the torque that my bike has. I hardly drop a gear to overtake people or for a hill. ( Gimme your zxr though )

Ixion
3rd November 2005, 16:47
If the only thing that counts with a 250 is how fast it is, why are y'all farting about with 4 strokes. Get a two smoker. They rule, OK.

(Note the first word in the post !)

gamgee
5th November 2005, 08:48
what is the name of the stuff you put inside the tank to recoat it and protect against rust?

speights_bud
10th December 2005, 14:10
I know this thread may have been and gone but i bought a gpx about a month ago. It will do the Napier/Wairoa road in 50 mins no sweat( which consists of several gorges and hills)averaging between 100-120 and the taupo road it kept up with grumpy on a normal paced ride. AND its the 1987 model.

...But I still can still ride up it at 160 in 5th at 15000rpm exactly. I want to see a gpx250 top that...
The GPX will sit on 160 in 6th at 12000Rpm... on flat (controlled conditions of course...)

As for doing the cam chain, i currently have mine in the garage with clutch cover etc off ready to change for a new cam chain as soon as it arrives (hopefully monday).

As for rusty tank, bloody hell do they what! ill post some pics of the original tank from my bike, it was held togeather by bog, putty, fibreglass and chewing gum. Made a lucky find and found a replacement from auckland before i got the bike. so as soon as it was off dad attacked the boggy areas to find the holes, don't think its worth repairing though.
Should also have a digital manual arriving on monday/tuesday so Pm me if you need anything Gamgee. Might be ably to copy it and post it to you. :2thumbsup

Below are most of the rust holes, there are few others

gamgee
11th December 2005, 14:13
the tank on it actually ended up being in bloody good nick which was lucky, it looks like someone has already done the POR15, job on it though as a just in case, i'm still going to drain it out tho, in the next few weeks, just so i no for sure when i go to use the reserve i'm not going to be feeding a mixture of water and rust into the carbs, oh and it's got a fuel filter on it, so i will know if it starts rusting anyway

Mr. Peanut
3rd December 2006, 16:21
If the only thing that counts with a 250 is how fast it is, why are y'all farting about with 4 strokes. Get a two smoker. They rule, OK.

(Note the first word in the post !)
I sometime wonder why I bother. EXACTLY ^_^

TygerTung
13th October 2013, 21:36
My wife has one of these, they are a great bike. Cheap on fuel, reasonably fast, good handling, good close ratio gearbox.

I had it going around the hills today, very good performance, would easily beat one of those 4 cylinder 250s as they have no midrange whatsoever which is what you want for twisty winding.

They do about 160 lying on the tank.

I'd highly recomend one. Probably the best choice if you want a 250 4 stroke.

sil3nt
13th October 2013, 22:03
My wife has one of these, they are a great bike. Cheap on fuel, reasonably fast, good handling, good close ratio gearbox.

I had it going around the hills today, very good performance, would easily beat one of those 4 cylinder 250s as they have no midrange whatsoever which is what you want for twisty winding.

I'd highly recomend one. Probably the best choice if you want a 250 4 stroke.I had one for years and they are fantastic. No way in hell would it come close to beating a 4 cylinder 250 though!

TygerTung
14th October 2013, 19:41
It would depend on the situation.

In a straight line 4 cylinder would kill the GPX, but around some twisty hills the GPX would be king. They're lighter and have much more midrange which is the more important than all out power around the hills.

I've beaten ZXR250s on my Honda CG 125, seeing as it was much lighter and could tackle the corners better, which shows you that more power isn't necessarly any help.

GPX250R 27.9 kW (37.4 hp) @12500 RPM
18 ft·lbf (24 N·m) @ 10,000 rpm
138 kg

CBR250RR 45 PS (33 kW) @ 15,000 rpm
21.5 N·m (15.9 lbf·ft) @ 12,000 rpm
142 kg

Not a big difference in weight, but you will notice that the CBR is making it's max torque a lot higher up, and also it's making less of it, which would indicate a narrower band of usable power. You would really have to rev it to make it go anywhere which makes it more uncomfortable to ride also.

Also another thing is that the CBR has much wider tyres- 110 on the front and 140 on the rear, as opposed to the GPX having a 100 on the front and a 130 on the rear. The skinnier tyres will corner a lot better, seeing as they're already probably a bit big for such a small bike. My RZ350 has considerably more power and is heavier and only has a 90 on the front and a 110 on the rear, and I havn't had it slip, even when hanging off and scraping the pipes, stand, and footpegs at the racetrack.

The CBR also has radial tyres which are very expensive.

It really depends on what sort of riding you want to do- straight line, or hillwork. Personally I like hillwork, so I'd go for the GPX, and to be honest if you are wanting to do straight line work, you'd probably be better off with a bigger bike anyway.

Sources http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_250R http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBR250

Akzle
14th October 2013, 20:05
is there some award for the longest thread dredge going on that im unaware of?

sil3nt
14th October 2013, 20:13
You stick Andrew Stroud on both the GPX 250 and the ZXR250 and the only race I could see the GPX winning would be a fuel mileage race.

Saying you beat ZXR250s on your CG125 reminds me of the guy that frequented this 250 section claiming his Hyosung 250 was beating Ducatis down the back straight at Pukekohe. Who cares that the Ducati was probably on half throttle just cruising. Makes for a good story doesn't it?

mossy1200
14th October 2013, 20:26
I just checked out a bike that sold so long ago that it must have expired 5 years ago.
I wasted 20mins of my life on a biblical tale about a yesteryear bike.

nzspokes
14th October 2013, 20:27

I'd highly recomend one. Probably the best choice if you want a 250 4 stroke.

:lol: Have you ever ridden a decent inline 4 250? Ive ridden a GPX and a Hornet 250. There is no way the GPX could keep up. My old CBX250rs single was quicker to 130 than a GPX.

Epic dredge.

TygerTung
14th October 2013, 20:44
:lol: Have you ever ridden a decent inline 4 250? Ive ridden a GPX and a Hornet 250. There is no way the GPX could keep up. My old CBX250rs single was quicker to 130 than a GPX.

Epic dredge.

I once rode a Kawasaki Bailus once, it was shit. Didn't make any power until you were revving somthing like 12 or 14 thousand RPM and it would drop out of the powerband on gear changes. There seems to be some kind of design fault there.

Actually it's funny you should mention the CBX250, because I had a race against one of them one night when I was test riding the GPX, absoultly smashed it. I think it was the only time I've done a wheelie on the GPX, was quite a fast takeoff.

mossy1200
14th October 2013, 20:46
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=650016325

finishes in 40 mins.
could look good sitting next to my 14

nzspokes
14th October 2013, 20:48
I once rode a Kawasaki Bailus once, it was shit. Didn't make any power until you were revving somthing like 12 or 14 thousand RPM and it would drop out of the powerband on gear changes. There seems to be some kind of design fault there.

Its a motorcycle, not a car. Rev its nuts off. Bailus had a 19k red line from memory.

TygerTung
14th October 2013, 20:49
You stick Andrew Stroud on both the GPX 250 and the ZXR250 and the only race I could see the GPX winning would be a fuel mileage race.

Saying you beat ZXR250s on your CG125 reminds me of the guy that frequented this 250 section claiming his Hyosung 250 was beating Ducatis down the back straight at Pukekohe. Who cares that the Ducati was probably on half throttle just cruising. Makes for a good story doesn't it?

I'm sure Andrew Stroud could go faster on a ZXR, but he's a professional racer isn't he? For the average person, it's going to be easier to ride a bike with a whole lot more midrange fast.

I think the guy on the ZXR was just a shithouse rider but there you go. I had only been riding for a couple of months anyway, I suppose you don't worry about a dropping a $300 dollar bike so much eh? It was only one ZXR that I beat.

I can't see any hyosung 250 beating any ducati's down a straight.

nzspokes
14th October 2013, 20:50
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=650016325

finishes in 40 mins.
could look good sitting next to my 14

I had the GPZ version. 59hp I think. went friggen well and light to. Isnt the gpx steel framed and heavy?

TygerTung
14th October 2013, 20:52
I had the GPZ version. 59hp I think. went friggen well and light to. Isnt the gpx steel framed and heavy?

Both steel frame. I know the GPX600 and the GPZ600 are pretty much exactly the same other than minor fairing differences.

nzspokes
14th October 2013, 20:54
Actually it's funny you should mention the CBX250, because I had a race against one of them one night when I was test riding the GPX, absoultly smashed it. I think it was the only time I've done a wheelie on the GPX, was quite a fast takeoff.

Mine was decent quick up to 130. They are 33hp stock and 130 od kg. Your probably thinking of a CB250 with 17hp.

nzspokes
14th October 2013, 20:56
Both steel frame. I know the GPX600 and the GPZ600 are pretty much exactly the same other than minor fairing differences.

GPZ400r was alloy framed. And as quick as the 600s due to lighter weight and higher tuned motor.

mossy1200
14th October 2013, 21:00

I had the original zx10 which had the same tail design shape. It was a great bike.

A mate of mine bought a gpx400 home and the forks were straight but the wheel was touching the road scoop when braking.
turned out the steel frame had shortened. I think this made it turn in better. It handled very well for a bent bike.

TygerTung
14th October 2013, 21:06
Mine was decent quick up to 130. They are 33hp stock and 130 od kg. Your probably thinking of a CB250 with 17hp.

No I used to have one of those as a race bike, that one was rather slow.