PDA

View Full Version : Ride - AKL - Queenstown - AKL

duckman
17th February 2004, 09:34
Anyone interested in a little jaunt to the south island ??

I've just booked leave from the 8th march til the 17th of March.

I haven't yet booked the ferry crossing so nothing is written in stone yet.

This would be a budget trip. i.e. staying in backpackers/pubs e.t.c.

All other details are open to suggestion.

All bikes and riders are welcome, the pace will be moderate :Police:

matthewt
17th February 2004, 09:42
If you're going to be in the SI during those dates you should consider the John Britten racing at ChCh on the 13th/14th.

duckman
17th February 2004, 09:48
If you're going to be in the SI during those dates you should consider the John Britten racing at ChCh on the 13th/14th.

Thanks for that Matthew, I'll add that to the itinerary. :done:

LB
18th February 2004, 04:35
Thanks for that Matthew, I'll add that to the itinerary. :done:
if you need any info, it's at www.brittenrace.co.nz

We'll be down there for the race, so let me know if you'll be there and we could meet up? And/or let us know your plans for when you're coming through Wgtn. (can't offer a bed sorry but may be able to meet up if timing is right)

duckman
18th February 2004, 15:09
O.k I've put together a very loose itinerary for my journey south.

Leaving Auckland on the 6th March heading for Wanganui.

Leave Wanganui on the 7th, cross the ferry at 2pm and continue on to Nelson for the night.

Nelson to Westland national park on the 8th. (don't know about acccom around there?? - Anyone??)

WNP to Queenstown on the 9th for a couple of days drinking and catching up with an old friend.

Queenstown to Hanmer springs on the 12th (hope this isn't too long a leg)

Hanmer to Picton for a 1:30pm ferry crossing and then who knows :whocares: it's north island .. so :spudwhat:

duckman
18th February 2004, 15:29
Oh by the way, if anyone wants come along for part or all of this trip they are most welcome. :yes:

duckman
18th February 2004, 15:31
if you need any info, it's at www.brittenrace.co.nz

We'll be down there for the race, so let me know if you'll be there and we could meet up? And/or let us know your plans for when you're coming through Wgtn. (can't offer a bed sorry but may be able to meet up if timing is right)

How about meeting us in Wanganui (early tho) and returning back to Welly for the 2pm ferry ??

We will have to leave Wanganui at about 10:am, so that might be a bit early for ya. :eek5:

LB
19th February 2004, 04:45
How about meeting us in Wanganui (early tho) and returning back to Welly for the 2pm ferry ??

We will have to leave Wanganui at about 10:am, so that might be a bit early for ya. :eek5:
Hey, you're talking to the girl here who has been known to leave home at 5am (yep, that's FIVE AM) to go for a ride on a lovely summer's day!!! We may even come up to Wanganui on the Saturday afternoon, my husband's working on the Sat mng.

I'll pm you so we can keep in touch, but let's pencil in that we'll meet up with you at Wanganui either on the Sat evening or the Sun morning. Weather dependent of course, I'm a woose about rain!!

duckman
19th February 2004, 08:03
I saw the new last night and it looks like Wanganui might not be there by the time I planned to get there. Pretty devastating floods eh ?

Might have to change the plan slightly. (invest in waterwings) ??

Mitch
19th February 2004, 11:47
Flooding down here is bloody shocking at the moment!!! BUT there are alot of places getting hit harder. My place is about 15 minutes ride from the ferry terminal so if you needed a place to stay my spare room is at your disposal.
Sounds like it would be an amazing trip BUTT I am now a poor student hehe still spending all her money on racing :doobey:

duckman
19th February 2004, 11:50
Flooding down here is bloody shocking at the moment!!! BUT there are alot of places getting hit harder. My place is about 15 minutes ride from the ferry terminal so if you needed a place to stay my spare room is at your disposal.
Sounds like it would be an amazing trip BUTT I am now a poor student hehe still spending all her money on racing :doobey:

Oh Cheers Mitch, I'll bear that in mind. Perhaps we'll have time to have a beer before the crossing!! :2thumbsup

merv
19th February 2004, 12:06
Nelson to Westland national park on the 8th. (don't know about acccom around there?? - Anyone??)

I've stayed a few times at Franz Josef - good choice of accom there - I have sampled the cabins at the camp ground, motels and the Glacier Motor Hotel - all OK for the price - just check out a Jason's or AA book and select your price range - probably worth booking in advance to beat off the tourists.

duckman
19th February 2004, 12:08
I've stayed a few times at Franz Josef - good choice of accom there - I have sampled the cabins at the camp ground, motels and the Glacier Motor Hotel - all OK for the price - just check out a Jason's or AA book and select your price range - probably worth booking in advance to beat off the tourists.
Thanks Merv, I'll check that out. :mobile:

Shafted
19th February 2004, 12:25
hey dude, if you get over to Dunedin, you are welcome to doss down at my place

Could meet up and go for a charge over the Maniototo and the pig root

duckman
19th February 2004, 14:06
hey dude, if you get over to Dunedin, you are welcome to doss down at my place

Could meet up and go for a charge over the Maniototo and the pig root
Sounds like fun!! Why don't you come up to QT for a beer :Punk:

duckman
20th February 2004, 15:07
Well my mate just pulled out of the ride to QT :angry2: . His boss declined his leave!!! :angry2: :angry2:

So it looks like I'm flying solo :stoogie:

Suzi Q
27th February 2004, 19:54
Queenstown to Hanmer Springs is a pretty long ride - I would stop at one of the Glaciers, then go through Arthurs Pass - the Viaduct is cool - on to CHCH then back to Picton via the beautifull Kaikoura Coast.

O.k I've put together a very loose itinerary for my journey south.

Leaving Auckland on the 6th March heading for Wanganui.

Leave Wanganui on the 7th, cross the ferry at 2pm and continue on to Nelson for the night.

WNP to Queenstown on the 9th for a couple of days drinking and catching up with an old friend.

Queenstown to Hanmer springs on the 12th (hope this isn't too long a leg)

Hanmer to Picton for a 1:30pm ferry crossing and then who knows :whocares: it's north island .. so :spudwhat:

dangerous
27th February 2004, 20:29
Duckman, Sounds like you'r doing it right down the west coast and back through the center to ChCh/Hamner.
The west coast is a long ride cos it is very tight at times ride with caution on that leage, but dont worry to much about the cops.
Through central watch out lots of cops and its a pity cos the roads are fast down there. And likwise from ChCh to Picton lots of cops but one of the best roads and secenery ever.

Lord Pac
28th February 2004, 08:25
Mate if only it was an April episode! Would have definitely joined you. Off for the whole of April!

duckman
2nd March 2004, 11:12
Mate if only it was an April episode! Would have definitely joined you. Off for the whole of April!
Arrrggghh Crap!! bad timing brother!! Still there always next year.

:not:

duckman
2nd March 2004, 11:14
Can any of the "locals" give me an update of the road conditions around Wanganui... I was plannig on riding to Wanga from Auck on Saturday sooooo...... hopefully theres a road for me to ride!! :niceone:

dangerous
2nd March 2004, 18:05
Duckman, If ya arse is getting a bit saw or ya feel like a coffee, whisky ;-) when you get to ChCh (cos QT-Hamner is a big day) then drop in Im in belfast just before you hit the motor way on the way north.

duckman
3rd March 2004, 07:50
Duckman, If ya arse is getting a bit saw or ya feel like a coffee, whisky ;-) when you get to ChCh (cos QT-Hamner is a big day) then drop in Im in belfast just before you hit the motor way on the way north.
Awww cheers. I was hoping to avoid ChCh altogether, as the roads in and out are a speeding ticket waiting to happen. :whistle:

Ms Piggy
3rd March 2004, 10:25
Have a blast Duckamn! I do hope those weather Gods are as merciful on you as they were on me :sunny: Wish I could join ya! I have family down South - alas Uni has started back :mellow:

Give us regular updates on how it's all going too :rockon:

duckman
3rd March 2004, 10:30
Have a blast Duckamn! I do hope those weather Gods are as merciful on you as they were on me :sunny: Wish I could join ya! I have family down South - alas Uni has started back :mellow:

Give us regular updates on how it's all going too :rockon:
Gosh thanks Celtic sea lily, I gettin excited now. I can't wait to get going. It's always the last few days under fluoresent light that drives me mad with anticipation.

I'll take lots of photos and get them scanned in, then write up a story when I get back. I wish there were some others from the site coming too, it would be great to share the experience, but alas... :bye:

I will get sorted for next year and let everyone know waaaaay in advance.

Lord Pac
3rd March 2004, 15:52
Arrrggghh Crap!! bad timing brother!! Still there always next year.

:not:

definitely next year!

you have a safe one my friend! take lotsa pics... :2thumbsup

dangerous
3rd March 2004, 18:43
Awww cheers. I was hoping to avoid ChCh altogether, as the roads in and out are a speeding ticket waiting to happen. :whistle:

Holly crap man, if you were going to avoid ChCh between Queenstown and Hamner then that only leaves one other route, back up the west coast through Reften and across to Hamner.......thats a massive ride that I'd pass on.
Whilest I havent ridden a TLR I did have a TL in Oz for a short time and it was hard on the boby and the TLR is way worse a riding postion isent it?

merv
3rd March 2004, 18:49
Holly crap man, if you were going to avoid ChCh between Queenstown and Hamner then that only leaves one other route, back up the west coast through Reften and across to Hamner.......thats a massive ride that I'd pass on

There's always the inland route from Geraldine to Rakaia Gorge, then Oxford and on to Rangiora, Sefton and Amberley before joing SH1 again - still misses Belfast though. I have taken that route a few times particularly on 4 wheels when I was visiting the in-laws at Ashburton and would turn off to go down through Methven.

dangerous
3rd March 2004, 19:07
There's always the inland route from Geraldine to Rakaia Gorge, then Oxford and on to Rangiora, Sefton and Amberley before joing SH1 again - still misses Belfast though

Arrrrr yes very good, and that way you'd get to ride the Mckenzie country aswell.

duckman
5th March 2004, 16:21
Well everyone, this will be last post for a while as I'm :scooter: off to the mainland. Now I know you'll all miss me terribly :confused2 but I will be back in about 2 weeks.

Now I want you all to :Playnice: while I'm gone and I promise to write up the tale of my adventures when I'm back online.

Take care and keep the rubber side down. :Punk:

wari
5th March 2004, 16:27
Well everyone, this will be last post for a while as I'm :scooter: off to the mainland. Now I know you'll all miss me terribly :confused2 but I will be back in about 2 weeks.

Now I want you all to :Playnice: while I'm gone and I promise to write up the tale of my adventures when I'm back online.

Take care and keep the rubber side down. :Punk:

Keep an eye out for a string bean in black leathers and silver flip top lid on a TDM850 looking at a map or for his key ... He's a cool Austrian dude.

Take care you fellas ... :wavey:

brockhaus
7th March 2004, 21:38
Keep an eye out for a string bean in black leathers and silver flip top lid on a TDM850 looking at a map or for his key ... He's a cool Austrian dude.

Take care you fellas ... :wavey:

Hi Wari, I place my key most of the times now in my right pocket, so I'll find it most of the times now ;)
Duckman, sorry you've been too fast -- I've the ferry to south island on the 10th....
Maybe see you in Auckland...
Wari, see you in a few weeks on my way to 90mile (90km) beach....

cya, Marcus (The Austrian)