PDA

View Full Version : Trip to NZ

moz
17th February 2004, 09:51
Hey guys,
I am planning a trip to NZ and possibly AUS for July or August.
The plan is to fly to Auckland, buy/hire a cheap XT600 or something like that and spend 2-3 months touring around the North & South Islands. Then sell the bike (or return it if hired), and if I have any money left, head to Aus and do the same there.
I would appreciate any advice on where to find a half decent cheap bike with luggage which will go anywhere and be easy enough to work on? Also what the deal with insurance and licencing in NZ?
Also any tips on where I should go or biker friendly/cool (and cheap) places to stay?
I plan on doing all of the LOTR locations as well as some adventure stuff. Not really into galleries and the like.
I don't plan on being too organised or have a rigid plan to stick to. More likely to just ride around and stay wherever takes my fancy.
Appreciate all feedback...

easy now,
moz.

Slingshot
17th February 2004, 10:10
You shouldn't too many problems finding backpacker style accommodation at that time of the year as it will be in the middle of winter.

PeteThePom
17th February 2004, 11:58
Yeah, why you wanna come here in the middle of winter, your going to be living in your waterproofs!!:cold:

riffer
17th February 2004, 12:23
Yeah, why you wanna come here in the middle of winter, your going to be living in your waterproofs!!:cold:
Winter lately has been the dry season, we've been getting all our rain in the summer <_<

wari
17th February 2004, 23:46
moz , keep an eye on trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/mcat-0001-0026-.htm) ... it will give you an idea on what you can buy privately and for how much here. Buying then selling is definitely the way to go if you are on a budget.

bikepoint (http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeHome.asp) will give an idea on what bikes cost retail for comparison.

Bikes have to have warrant of fitness (WOF) checks every 6 months , which is basically a check to ensure the bike is road worthy.

A bike also needs to be registered with the govt and needs a WOF to do so, for periods of 3, 6 or 12 months depending on how much money you've got in your pockets... around $300 for a year.

Insurance is optional, but advisable ... bring your winter woolies for the south island mate :cold: ... let me now if I can help closer to the time.

moz
18th February 2004, 02:07
Cheers Wari :niceone: ,
I'll keep an eye on the trade me site.
I'd love to be able to go right now, but lack of finances mean that I'll have to wait.
July/Aug look like the earliest, but if it is the middle of winter, I don't want to freeze me nads off, so I might wait until Nov/Dec for the Spring to break.

easy now,
moz.

wari
18th February 2004, 02:24
I reckon January to March are the best times to go touring here weather wise at least ... I reckon anyway. :sunny: :ride:

Schools are back in full swing by Feb so the roads are quieter from then on.

After that the temps are starting to go down in OZ ... perfec. Superbikes are on at phillip island in march if you're interested in them.

moko
18th February 2004, 19:22
If you want to hire mate best look around now because when I was talking to Darren at Te Waipounamu after returning my hire bike he was telling me that they at least usually shut down completely for a couple of months in Winter(N.Z. winter obviously)and tear all the bikes down and re-fettle them so you may have problems unless you plan ahead.for some kind of guide they hire XT600s with luggage,basic riding gear,un-limited mileage(watch out for those that aren`t) and all insurance,tax e.t.c. for $110 a day at last years prices,the longer you hire the lower the rate, www.motorcycle-hire.co.uk Good people to deal with,like I said they normally take their bikes off the road in winter but give them a try,sure they`d sort something out if possible.

mangell6
18th February 2004, 20:31
And as for accomodation, I am sure that there may be some KB'ers willing to offer assistance, if they can understand you :)

Mike

mccool
18th February 2004, 21:13
Moz, dia dhuit, as a fellow Paddy living here I'm sure you will have a fine old time in NZ. Its a good idea to come here before Oz. A lot of people leave it til the end of their trip and then regret not having more time here. Its a bit like riding in West Clare, especially South Island, except its the same size as the UK. Give a shout if you are passing through Wellington and come and stay with us (as long as you don't piss on the floor that is).

I agree with fellow KBers that winter may be a bit grim (but not compared to Ireland). The best time is late summer - autumn, January- March.

In New Zealand you can ride for a year on your Irish licence. Insurance is not compulsory, but its dirt cheap compared to what you are used to, so worth having. 3rd party for the VTR costs me about 70 Euro a year. Yep, seventy

Larry

pete376403
19th February 2004, 22:04
If you're in the South Island over Queens Birthday weekend - first weekend in June - there's a large bike rally held in central Otago that's worth a look in. Check out www.brassmonkeyrally.org for an idea. Also the weather is not that bad - cold and a bit of snow and ice, but quite rideable. The upside is that the 4 wheel tourist traffic is much lighter. And, as someone else noted, we're getting all the winter rain now, anyway.

pete376403
19th February 2004, 22:08
If you're in the South Island over Queens Birthday weekend - first weekend in June - there's a large bike rally held in central Otago that's worth a look in. Check out www.brassmonkeyrally.org for an idea. Also the weather is not that bad - cold and a bit of snow and ice, but quite rideable. The upside is that the 4 wheel tourist traffic is much lighter. And, as someone else noted, we're getting all the winter rain now, anyway.
thats www.brassmonkeyrally.org.nz :doh:

moz
20th February 2004, 21:15
Oh be jaysus mccool! Is it yourself?
Thanks guys for all your help and offers of accomodation. Appreciate it.
I'll update this thread when I know when I'm going for sure.
Oh, and I don't piss on the floor...not when there's a perfectly good bed or sofa there :)

easy now,
moz.

Moz, dia dhuit, as a fellow Paddy living here I'm sure you will have a fine old time in NZ. Its a good idea to come here before Oz. A lot of people leave it til the end of their trip and then regret not having more time here. Its a bit like riding in West Clare, especially South Island, except its the same size as the UK. Give a shout if you are passing through Wellington and come and stay with us (as long as you don't piss on the floor that is).

I agree with fellow KBers that winter may be a bit grim (but not compared to Ireland). The best time is late summer - autumn, January- March.

In New Zealand you can ride for a year on your Irish licence. Insurance is not compulsory, but its dirt cheap compared to what you are used to, so worth having. 3rd party for the VTR costs me about 70 Euro a year. Yep, seventy

Larry