PDA

View Full Version : DIY Bike loading Ramp???

750Y
17th February 2004, 11:01
Just interested if anyone here has made their own 2-wheeler bike ramp and how it was. What did they make it out of? I have a 4 door ute and my usual unloading using the patented 'A-frame ladder and fence palings' approach is just too dodgy now. I nearly always will need to do it myself. Any good ideas? i want to make it cheaply. a plank alone is no good as the back wheel just knocks the plank off & anyway there's no run up to clear the 'bump', plus I sawed that one in half to try a hinge system and it couldn't hold the weight 8-(. any places that make them cheap even? I checked out a big plank yesterday but too much flex/too heavy/too long to carry easily. it has to be about 2.5m so it doesn't bottom out. what does everyone else use?

jrandom
17th February 2004, 11:21
Just interested if anyone here has made their own 2-wheeler bike ramp and how it was.

Firefight has some good ideas involving almost-zero-risk and low-cost ways of getting bikes onto vans and trailers. Try PMing him.

:laugh:

merv
17th February 2004, 11:25
I've only got trailer, no ute so I don't have to load so high, so a plank suffices with an extra wooden block nailed onto it so the plank won't slip off the trailer.

Motu
17th February 2004, 12:06
I made a ramp eons ago,I only got around to shortening it last year to fit in my van.Two 50mm pieces of angle iron welded together to make a Z,but opened out,then coachbolted to the ramp - this fits flush with the floor of the trailer or van...a pin would stop it slipping back,but this only happens when people are watching....always unload your bike in private!

georgedubyabush
17th February 2004, 13:24
Back up to a dirt bank, or failing that, John Deere front end loader.

Hoon
17th February 2004, 15:02
Yes I must say your plank/ladder method looked a little dodgy at the best of times :)

I use the tried 'n proven plank method. To stop it from sliding off I nailed on a spacer block with a bent nail hanging off which hooks onto the rear door catch (on my van) and lines the plank up perfectly level with the van floor.

The longer the plank the easier it is to push your bike up and more clearance
you have at the top hump. Mine is pretty short but thats all I could find in the backyard at the time.

curious george
17th February 2004, 19:35
Huh. The best I've sen was KK's.
At Puke, he rolled out a scaffold plank, and got his mate to hold it. He then took a run up and rode his bike into the van at 50km/hr! :2thumbsup
He was flat on the tank, and missed the roof of the van by about a hair's breadth!!!!! :thud: Simply amazing. :stupid:

Two Smoker
17th February 2004, 19:41
Huh. The best I've sen was KK's.
At Puke, he rolled out a scaffold plank, and got his mate to hold it. He then took a run up and rode his bike into the van at 50km/hr! :2thumbsup
He was flat on the tank, and missed the roof of the van by about a hair's breadth!!!!! :thud: Simply amazing. :stupid:
LOL yep definately sounds like KK's antics.

XRNR
17th February 2004, 22:01
You can get some flash aluminium ones, that are lite & fold in half, cost a couple of hundred & are available from most places that sell a few motocross bikes, even seen them @ motomail.

Or,
I built my own steel one for a one-tonner I had.

2 lengths of 30x30x5mm angle placed flat side down like so, |_ _| to make up the sides. Then on the horizontal surface of each side angle & between them like rungs of a ladder, I laid 25x25x3mm angle cut to lengths aprox 30cm long. I laid these with the pointy part of the Vee facing up. Placed these rungs about 15cm apart along the ramp & welded the two edges down onto the flats of the angle that make up the sides.

Didn't bother painting is as the metal is thick & the bike tyres keep the center polished. Then I used to padlock it under the tray of the one-tonner.

Knobblies would never slip on this ramp, no matter how wet or muddy, & being steel it was really strong. I used to ride the 600 up it onto the back of the deck.

Firefight
18th February 2004, 10:46
Just interested if anyone here has made their own 2-wheeler bike ramp and how it was. What did they make it out of? I have a 4 door ute and my usual unloading using the patented 'A-frame ladder and fence palings' approach is just too dodgy now. I nearly always will need to do it myself. Any good ideas? i want to make it cheaply. a plank alone is no good as the back wheel just knocks the plank off & anyway there's no run up to clear the 'bump', plus I sawed that one in half to try a hinge system and it couldn't hold the weight 8-(. any places that make them cheap even? I checked out a big plank yesterday but too much flex/too heavy/too long to carry easily. it has to be about 2.5m so it doesn't bottom out. what does everyone else use?

hey man, got a couple of steel and ali ones, give me a pm, you can have one

Firefight. :eek:

750Y
20th February 2004, 09:26
Thanks for all the good ideas peoples.
I got caught out one time at Puke when i stalled halfway up & restarted & the back wheel spat out the planks and kicked the ladder away. lucky a car guy came running to help or i'd still be standing there holding it up....lol.
Firefight: I'll PM You. appreciate it.

cheers...

Firefight
22nd February 2004, 16:39
I got a couple more if anyone wants them, made of Galv steel (roof perlins)
about 300mm X 100MM, 2.5 M long, you can cut to fit what ever length
strong as, suit off road, road/track bikes :thud: .anyone interested can pm
me. :wavey: You can have them for free. :crazy:

Firefight. :crazy:

750Y
23rd February 2004, 08:42
hey! many thanks for the ramp FireFight. Does the trick purrrfect, just need to paint on a bit of sandgrip for the wet days & she's all good. takes a load off my mind 8-)

cheers
...750Y

wkid_one
23rd February 2004, 16:51
takes a load off my mind 8-)

cheers
...750Y
There was your problem loading your bike....stupid idea to lift it with your head really.

750Y
23rd February 2004, 19:59
There was your problem loading your bike....stupid idea to lift it with your head really.

lol, I woulda used the other head but that was toooo hard. :rolleyes: