PDA

View Full Version : Tour Tank 2.0

XTC
3rd November 2005, 10:48
Have you ever thought that more fuel range would be nice? So did I so I started checking out my options.
Option 1 - Acerbis 23litre tank
Option 2 - strap a 10l gas can to the carrier.

Option 1 is expensive and bike specific but a simple bolt on option.
Option 2 is cheap but still not perfect.(still have to stop and pour it in the tank)

Thought i was going to have to go with option 2 but was surfing the net one night and stumbled across www.tourtank.com (http://www.tourtank.com) while searching for "auxillary tanks".
So I imported and fitted this tank to my XT600E. (first sale by Tourtank to NZ) It holds 2.0 US gallons (8 litres) and extends my fuel range considerably. I use what is in this tank first then when it runs dry turn on the main fuel tap and switch to reserve when thats gone. Gives a range of approx 350km. No more having to pay $1.69 per litre in Ruatoria and other out of the way stations in dark little hick towns. Was easy to fit and does the job nicely. May not look cool enuff for image conscious sprot bike riders but then on the sealed roads you're never far from a gas station thats guaranteed to be open!.

Motu
3rd November 2005, 11:32
Hey,I like that,although it's a bit wide.I have an Acerbis for my XT,I can go over 400km before reserve,so good piece of mind out in the sticks.The DT230 is a bit of a worry,so have an MSR bottle to carry if I'm not sure about refueling stops,also a small bottle for 2 smoke oil.

XTC
3rd November 2005, 13:42
Yeah it's no wider than my pack so is really not that noticable. looks like a tent or sleeping bag at first.

Macktheknife
3rd November 2005, 17:28
Damn that looks great, thanks for sharing I think I will have to get me one of those!

XTC
3rd November 2005, 19:24
Damn that looks great, thanks for sharing I think I will have to get me one of those!
No probs. The fuel hose that comes with it is a bit heinous (Reinforced car hose) but just get some from your local motorcycle shop and use that. Only 8 litres extra but they also do a alloy 3.5 gallon tank that looks pretty cool(see below).
I don't think the alloy one looks as good as the 2.0 for my kinda bike, but on a custom maybe it'd look better?

clint640
28th November 2005, 14:46
Looks good, the way oil companies are ripping out tanks & closing country gas stations the standard 200ish km range on most bikes makes exploring backroads an exercise in careful planning & phoning up to see if the petrol station still exists.
I've got the KTM 20L tank for such occasions but when I tour Australia in a year or three I'll get one of those I reckon.

Cheers
Clint

XTC
28th November 2005, 15:31
Looks good, the way oil companies are ripping out tanks & closing country gas stations the standard 200ish km range on most bikes makes exploring backroads an exercise in careful planning & phoning up to see if the petrol station still exists.
I've got the KTM 20L tank for such occasions but when I tour Australia in a year or three I'll get one of those I reckon.

Cheers
Clint
Your Welcome. So where's my top box?

Coyote
28th November 2005, 15:39
Pretty cool how the site says how much to ship to NZ. The 3.5 gallon tank looks great :2thumbsup

RiderInBlack
28th November 2005, 16:52
I want one for the next GC:not: How much did the tank cost you to get here in NZ?

XTC
29th November 2005, 15:01
A little over $300 for the 2 gallon tank.

Motu
29th November 2005, 16:06
If my XT doesn't get back on the road soon I may need one for the DT230....it'd be 200km to bone dry,not enough for a days exploring.

T.I.E
29th November 2005, 16:14

Cheers
Clint

or depending what day it is, whether they are open or not is another consideration aswell. hicks towns might not have the open on weekend petrol pumps.
but that looks brilliant for adventure/riding, great idea.