PDA

View Full Version : front tyre wear.

motelbob
3rd November 2005, 18:28
Went for a short blast down h/way 16 and couldnt believe it when I nearly dropped the RF on an easy right hander,not going fast and hardly leaning over at all. Front tyre slipped big time on a dry road. Got home and when I checked front tyre I found all tread was gone on the right hand side It was nearly time to replace the tyres anyway but anyone know why there would be such a difference in the wear pattern from one side to the other? Have booked in to get some new diablos front and back but Im a bit fearful of stuffing the front if theres a prob. Any ideas ??

chickenfunkstar
3rd November 2005, 18:37
Its most probably because of the camber which is put on roads to drain the water off. Because of this, on most roads, even when you riding in a straight line, you're actually leaning slightly to the right.

trev
3rd November 2005, 19:03
Always looking over your shoulder to see if another vespa is going to pass you has your bike leaning to the right.

Two Smoker
3rd November 2005, 19:17
Went for a short blast down h/way 16 and couldnt believe it when I nearly dropped the RF on an easy right hander,not going fast and hardly leaning over at all. Front tyre slipped big time on a dry road. Got home and when I checked front tyre I found all tread was gone on the right hand side It was nearly time to replace the tyres anyway but anyone know why there would be such a difference in the wear pattern from one side to the other? Have booked in to get some new diablos front and back but Im a bit fearful of stuffing the front if theres a prob. Any ideas ??

Possibly a favorite of right hand corners, so take them more aggressively than lefties???

avgas
3rd November 2005, 19:24
people tend to take more speed into right handers as well as they can see more around the corner....hense more braking in corners.....hense my front tyre is stuffed

T.W.R
3rd November 2005, 19:29
[QUOTE=motelbob] Got home and when I checked front tyre I found all tread was gone on the right hand side It was nearly time to replace the tyres anyway but anyone know why there would be such a difference in the wear pattern from one side to the other?

No matter how much the camber of the road is or how hard your pushin the bike into corners etc, there shouldn't be a noticable difference between either side of the tyre ( you'd expect wear like that from racing around a circuit where your either going clockwise or anti-clockwise, the tyres would wear visibly in conjunction to the bends e.g Levels raceway anti-clockwise direction so tyres wear on the left side visibly more than the right).
I'd be checking your forks are set level in the triple clamps & also that your wheel bearings aren't getting knackered, and as a major check check your frame isn't twisted

Bonez
3rd November 2005, 19:30
Tis because of the happy camper.

MacD
3rd November 2005, 20:29
Went for a short blast down h/way 16 and couldnt believe it when I nearly dropped the RF on an easy right hander,not going fast and hardly leaning over at all. Front tyre slipped big time on a dry road. Got home and when I checked front tyre I found all tread was gone on the right hand side

My RF wears the shoulders of the front tyre fairly evenly although they do definitely triangulate with time (last two tyres were a D208 and a D218).

How different is the wear really? Is it just that the last of the tread pattern has worn on the right but it's still (just) visible on the left? If so it may just be the camber effect, otherwise as others have suggested check the forks, bearings and frame.

Just put an Avon Viper on the front so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

motelbob
4th November 2005, 21:05
the wear is very noticable. 1mm of tread on left side and completely bald on right. as in stripped bare.

riffer
4th November 2005, 21:49
I've got Metzelers on my RF - Z4 rear and Z3 front.

And the front's definitely got noticeably different wear on the right to the left. It's started to triangulate on the right, whereas the left is still quite roundish.

So you're not alone.

Perhaps both you and me lean off the bike more on the left hand corners :whistle:

riffer
4th November 2005, 21:51
Possibly a favorite of right hand corners, so take them more aggressively than lefties???

You're onto it there TS. Left-handers still give me the shits. I take righthanders much more aggressively. Possibly due to the better sightlines effect, possibly due to the reconstructed left knee - who knows.

TonyB
4th November 2005, 22:02
Could be road camber. Buuuuuuuuut, do you live in an urban area with lots of roundabouts? Do you commute? If yes/ yes then I'd blame the roundabouts. I drive my workbomb to work each day- you wouldn't believe what happens to the left hand side of the tyres and the left hand tyres in general on the poor old car. The wheel allignment gets buggered up too... maybe I should just slow down???..... :eek5: ... naaaa!

Aucker
4th November 2005, 23:45
Braking on corners wears out the tread and some like rh more than lh corners & vice versa so maybe u need to work on that? or maybe its just a crap tyre or rough road? :wait:

quickbuck
5th November 2005, 13:49
All of the Above. Also with RH corners, many riders in this part of the world (and other countries where you ride on the left) tend to put the bike into a right hander and then sit themselves up (so the bike tends to be lower than the body, exaggerated). This is to shy away from the oncoming traffic.
I find that Metzeler ME33's look really bad for this near the end of their life. It looks worse because of the tread pattern.

DEATH_INC.
5th November 2005, 21:09
It's actually quite common,always the right more than the left.Road camber and roundabouts are normally the culprits.
If it was a bent frame/forks,they'd hafta be a mile out to cause wear on a bike and you'd definately notice it.