PDA

View Full Version : legality.

froggyfrenchman
3rd November 2005, 18:50
Right. have tried to talk him outof it, but have a mate that wants to reg his pocket bike as a moped. Can you do this? whats the deal? and how long can you poswsibly expect to ride one on the road before going under the wheels of a mack truck?

The Beast
3rd November 2005, 18:52
Yes you can do it, no you shouldn't be able to.
Tell him he's nuts.
Your head would be level with most cars bumpers.
I'd give him 4 days.

heavenly.talker
3rd November 2005, 19:05
I'd give him 4 days.

Depending on the weather and where he plans to ride it...
I'll raise you to 5!

They are a dangerous piece of kit and it's only time until we see major media coverage of the fatalities!

Road legal days are numbered!!!!!

NordieBoy
3rd November 2005, 19:07
How many cc's is it?
Power output?

avgas
3rd November 2005, 19:13
tell him to buy a really good helmet

froggyfrenchman
3rd November 2005, 19:14
How many cc's is it?
Power output?

49cc. no idea hp wise

The Beast
3rd November 2005, 19:16
Roughly 3hp I think.
Big power to go round corners fast :headbang:

SPORK
3rd November 2005, 19:22
Is Hastings a pit of stupidity?

I think that your mullet is protecting your brain from most of it, but not so most around you.

froggyfrenchman
3rd November 2005, 19:36

I think that your mullet is protecting your brain from most of it, but not so most around you.

Fair comment. im surrounded by morons

froggyfrenchman
3rd November 2005, 19:56
So how would one go about doing this? And any ideas on the costs involved? Can all pocket bikes be regd or just selected models?

marty
3rd November 2005, 20:35

well there's the broomstick bunch, the boy racers, the kiddie murderers. it's a funny old place.

betcha someone from hastings took pania cause they were just jealous.

froggyfrenchman
3rd November 2005, 20:43
OI!
Broomstick boys were Taradale
Kiddie murderer was Napier
And ill never tell any of ya where i hid pania

SARGE
3rd November 2005, 21:06
Depending on the weather and where he plans to ride it...
I'll raise you to 5!

They are a dangerous piece of kit and it's only time until we see major media coverage of the fatalities!

Road legal days are numbered!!!!!

but when he gets written off.. the media will claim " BIKER!"

Busy
3rd November 2005, 21:22
They have 50cc stamped on the block but there are two types, one is a true 50 while the other is a 90cc - both have 50cc stamped on block.
They don't need warrants or bike lic to ride which is stupid

[edit] just checked, some of the pocket bikes are 100cc

Da Bird
3rd November 2005, 21:40
They have 50cc stamped on the block but there are two types, one is a true 50 while the other is a 90cc - both have 50cc stamped on block.
They don't need warrants or bike lic to ride

They don't need a WOF but they do need to be up to Warrant of Fitness standard. That means they must have headlight, tail light, brake light, indicators etc. The registration plate must be correctly affixed to the rear and you need at least a learner's car licence to ride it (and the accompanying L plate if on learner licence).

I've seen one guy mown down by a car while riding one of these pocket bikes at night (idiot) - surprised he didn't get killed but he went flying quite a way.

BC

Sketchy_Racer
6th November 2005, 19:07
yea i think it is stupid to have these legal on the road!

the only thought i can think of is WHY?? what are you trying to prove?? its not going to be comfortable for any travles furthur than 1km and you will be hit!! eventually.My friend had one for 6 onths and was lucky enough not to be hit but he fell off 4 times showing off to girls that thought he was such a tosser!.

my to cents

________
Glenn

Ivan
6th November 2005, 20:04
I agree what is the point but I was going to say 6 guys rode down the Rimatukas on mini choppers

limbimtimwim
7th November 2005, 10:37
Right. have tried to talk him outof it, but have a mate that wants to reg his pocket bike as a moped. Can you do this? whats the deal? and how long can you poswsibly expect to ride one on the road before going under the wheels of a mack truck?Those mini choppers are bad enough. Those are silly. All I can do is (Like others here) is ask you to beg with your friend to not do it. And I make the suggestion they put tall flag on the back. They will look silly anyway, so a flag won't make much differernce. Hell, it might even look cooler in a cute kind of way.

ManDownUnder
7th November 2005, 10:48
Actually - who here has media connections. I think this would make a really good story.

Find out how many of these things are on the roads, what the crash rate is, who's riding them etc.

I'm happy to see them outlawed personally... I can't see the things front in front of the RF... what chance does a car have?

thehollowmen
7th November 2005, 14:17
I'm happy to see them outlawed personally... I can't see the things front in front of the RF... what chance does a car have?

Their lights are useless... a kid around here drives one to school and the amount of times I've just about run him over as he hasn't head-checked before changing lanes.. and I haven't dodged because I haven't seen indicators...

skidMark
12th November 2005, 23:59
tell him to buy a really good helmet
not a helmet some sort of trusted religion to protect you....someone nearly ran me down on my mini chopper a few days ago fully skidded diwn the road on the wrong side to avoid me because they wernt looking where they were going....

and to the thread starter....your mate will need lights indicators brake switches a battery..... a horn but if he doesnt want to use a battery you can always run a bridge rectifier run into a normal rugulator the wired with a 100 volt ( 50 volt will usually be ok though )2200 micro fared capacitor then the lights will run off engine current...no battery:D bit of a pain in the ass to wire in though but i had to nut it out n now it's easy 4 me :D ur mate in auckland i can help him out if he wants lights done?

mstriumph
13th November 2005, 01:31
.................... he went flying quite a way.

BC

doesn't that require a different sort of licencing?:blink:

Goddess of Goof
13th November 2005, 22:46
I was driving the car down Ponsonby Road in the rain at night last weekend - and a mini bike/chopper rider came hurling past me on the inside and overtook me...

just before the traffic lights at Williamson Avenue...

:eek5:

and only a split second before I heard him on my rear left side...

I had been planning to change lanes and get to the front of the queue at the lights...

Could'a killed him easily. Too low to be visible with either head check or mirrors. Reflections on road from shops and car lights. *shakes head*

:thud:

Squiggles
19th November 2005, 08:44
how about those ones capable of motorway speeds??? does anybody actually ride them down the motorway?

speights_bud
20th November 2005, 16:55
OI!
Broomstick boys were Taradale
Kiddie murderer was Napier
And ill never tell any of ya where i hid pania
Hehe i know, she was in a regular 'druggie' type place in a dodgy local neighbourhood across the road from school, stashed her in the garage. took 3 blokes to shift it out. (me mates mum found her while doing a 'routine' inspection.):doobey:

Mattyc
25th November 2005, 09:38
but when he gets written off.. the media will claim " BIKER!"

Exactly....sort of like..

like when a crime is comitted anywhere south of ellerslie its in " south auckland "

But when they have the Flower Show at Manurewa, they dont go and call it the south auckland flower show do they... oh no.., they still call it the Ellerslie flower show, lol:doobey: :doobey: :doobey: . its a pocket bike til someone gets killed then its a motorcyle, and a motorcyclist

scumdog
25th November 2005, 23:55
From a good source: I heard the shit is just about to hit the fan for those who try to get away with registering these mini-choppers as mopeds - they will be in deep poo-poo if they sign their bike off as one.

Rode one today, it was not bad but no clutch/two hand brake levers took a lot of getting use to.

Vehicle inspector at work said he's seem some shockingly flexible/worn out steering head bearings on some of them, however he said the one I rode was pretty good for construction and strength.

Big danger in my books (as somebody has already said) is that the lights (and even more so, the indicators) are not bright enough, get them up to spec and they will be a whole lot safer.

scumdog
25th November 2005, 23:59
They don't need warrants or bike lic to ride which is stupid

[edit] just checked, some of the pocket bikes are 100cc

A lot of mini-choppers have 49cc stamped their engine by the crafty manufacturers - but are actually 110cc!!!!

Swoop
28th November 2005, 11:07
how about those ones capable of motorway speeds??? does anybody actually ride them down the motorway?

I have seen one racing down the bicycle path alongside the north western motorway in the morning... I doubt the cyclists were appreciative of this act!:doh:

Squiggles
1st December 2005, 13:26
doesnt suprise me.....

crazy bugger i saw yesterday swerving in and outta traffic on manakau road, must've been going 65+

its crazy how they ride too, riding on the road like a cyclist.....meaning cars push past and shove them off the road..... then they go and tryto be superman swinging in and out of the traffic, no wonder they get hit :bash: