PDA

View Full Version : Paeroa Racing

Coldkiwi
3rd February 2003, 11:29
For those of you that weren't aware, Paeroa's Battle of the Streets is on in just under two weeks (16th feb).

Anyone fancy meeting up for the ride down? Safety in numbers for the waiting cops is always good!:cool:

Maybe meet at the Bombay Autobahn cafe for those coming from the north?

bluninja
10th February 2003, 18:08
Is there a plan for the day, or are you waiting to see what the response is ? It's a toss up between a ride with another group up north or a day out at the races. The ride down to Paeroa doesn't look particularly interesting, but having not been that way I don't know.

TTFN

What?
10th February 2003, 23:02
The ride down to Paeroa doesn't look particularly interesting

Do you like road racing, Bluninja? Personally, I reckon Paeroa is the high point in the racing year.:) :) :) Never missed one, never intend to.

And, yep, the main road from Auckland to Paeroa is a cop infested nightmare, but you could leave earlier and take some back roads...:bigthumb:

wkid_one
11th February 2003, 10:39
Best bet is to go via Kaiaua if you want a good ride - then rejoin the road to Paeroa just short of Maungatawhiri.......not many cops go down this route as they tend to stick to the main drag.

I will be going down - just tell me where and when you want to meet.

Coldkiwi
11th February 2003, 11:19
yeah, i was just going to gauge interest for the ride down. I agree the way via bombay-maramarua-paeroa itself isn't that great. However the racing is well worth it.

But there's a good idea. I'm a bit of a regular down kaiaua/miranda way now, great roads (excluding the short dirty areas where the cliff slipped by waharoa in the December downpours)

If we go that way, the logical place to meet is Clevedon. Racing starts at 11 and I'd planned to be there by 10:30 to get a decent seat and some shade. I'd guess it might take an hour and a half from Clevedon to Paeroa?

tickets $20 for 18 and over , $10 for under 18's

Who's keen?

bluninja
11th February 2003, 11:58
Sounds good to me......but are you on the ZX6R ??? Maybe I'll put my lights and plates on my SV and take her out for the day...but if you're on the ZX6 I'd better take the RSVR so I can keep up :D Used to have a ZX9 u no, a blue one....a blue ninja:p

TTFN

Coldkiwi
11th February 2003, 12:24
yes, I'll be on the 6R.. but I'll have the girlie on as pillion so I won't be carving it up too much. Apparently she doesn't like getting lifted out of the seat under hard braking! :argh: Dunno why...
I'm working on her though. I figure the more often we go out, she'll get used to it and it won't be a worry anymore

...maybe:p

bikerboy
11th February 2003, 22:08
I'd like to join you guys. What's the plan, meet at clevedon about 9am?

Let me know,

Bikerboy:bigthumb:

bluninja
12th February 2003, 10:14
Hey John, I hope you don't ride too fast for me :D

TTFN

wkid_one
12th February 2003, 10:36
9am at clevedon sounds good to me.

I'll be riding a yellow VTR - and given that I will be at the petrol station!!!

See you there

Daniel

Coldkiwi
12th February 2003, 13:04
maybe we need to aim to leave by 9? I was planning to get there by 10:30 before the 11 oclock start. Anyone got an accurate idea of how long it could take to get to paeroa from clevedon? is 1& 1 /2 hours enough? (you can't really do 120 all the way to kaiaua!)

sounds like the shell station on the main road will be the place to meet as all the cafe's (as far as I know) will be closed then.

bikerboy
12th February 2003, 14:30
Sounds like an 8:30 meeting time at the Shell station on the main road in Clevedon. Departing at 9am sharp?

I'm sure Simon intends to do 120 the whole way, the guy is really manic on that RSV!;)

Now, where is Clevedon?

There is another posting with guys meeting at Wendy's in Otara. Is this on the way?:confused:

wkid_one
12th February 2003, 14:33
8.30am at Clevedon sounds good.

Wendys in Otara is on the way, and the ride out is pretty good to Clevedon, some nice sweepers you can take at about 160km!!! sweet.

I will be there with bells on........

If you haven't done the Kaiaua loop - you are in for a treat - a great combination of windies, sweepers and hills - excellent road.

Dan

bluninja
12th February 2003, 15:11
120 all the way....must be having a slow ride then John :p
So it seems there are 2 meets.

1) Otara Wendy's at ??:??
2) Shell garage at Clevedon arrive for 8:30 depart 9:00

Are the Otara bods going to meet up at Clevedon 8:30 to 9:00, or is this just 2 groups heading there at their own pace?

Hmmmm.....think I'll have to have a good stretching session before this ride.

TTFN

wkid_one
12th February 2003, 17:09
We'll wait at Clevedon for the Wendy's crew - better in numbers.......

Coldkiwi
12th February 2003, 23:42
Damn.. that means I'll actually need to get out of bed by 8:00! oh well, at least its for a good cause!

I've got two mates on 250's who are keen for the ride too. After having told them what bikes were arriving they came to the conclusion that they might leave early! :p

and in other news.... my girlie is working on sunday arvo so can't come... bummer... oh well means I get to have some more fun on the way!:bigthumb:

hey... anyone got a radar detector on board?

Kwaka-Kid
13th February 2003, 22:18
hey guys, i mite be keen, fancy a old slapper of a kwaka gpz750 going down? she spits oil out the crank cases and blows smoke like a 2 stroke :) and draws unwanted attention with the loud exhaust..hmm :/
its either that or the 89' ZXR400 i just bought, but no wof/rego so yeh :/
but im keen for meeting, how many numbers we got so far?

NhuanH
13th February 2003, 23:06
Fella's (and ladies lurking about possibly?),

I am a newb to this forum and a relative newb to riding (about 18 months now). But yes, I am one of those idiots you have only heard about up till now - I have been on my Gixxer 750 for about 4 months now. Getting more comfy (and an eensy bit faster) each ride blah blah.

I do the Clevedon/Miranda route about once a week, but i reckon my cruising average would be optimistically be around 90km/h. How does this sit with the crew set to head down to L & P land Sunday morning? Should I find my own bunch of slowpokes (um that would be me...and?) and amble down at a lesser pace or what?

Thoughts?

BTW The Black Caps are sucking arse at the mo...oh i am an optimist. Prove me wrong Shane Bond.

Kwaka-Kid
14th February 2003, 05:14
i dont think you need to exlude urself, if you read earlier there are a small bunch of 250's coming :P

and also i am keen for an excuse to ride slow, as i have a camchain on the verge of self-destruction.

bluninja
14th February 2003, 07:46
Joking aside now. I know lots of people that get all nervous because their perception is that everyone else is faster or more skilled than them on a bike. But most bikers have been there at some time, and if you are having fun you don't need to try and keep up and arrive all eyes out and stressed.

I'm normally well mannered in groups, yes if I'm up front I may stretch the legs on a few twisty bits, but I'll slow down on the next straight so that the group comes back together.....and it doesn't bother me when the fast guys disapear at warp speed and stop some way up the road waiting for me.

So come along and have some fun. With he exception of Bikerboy I won't have met/ridden with most of the riders going on Sunday.

TTFN

NhuanH
14th February 2003, 08:10
cheers for that.

I am completely bug eyed from hanging on and watching an enthralling kiwi win @ the world cup. Just a stay of execution, but we're still in the hunt - maybe apply for those kenyan visas after all?

Bluninja, do you also play in the worlds of kayaking and mountain biking? If so I may have met you at Woodhill once upon a time.

Finally, not only am I a slow rider, but i am also slow in comprehending forum threads: where and when exactly are you cats intending to convene on Sunday morning? I live in Manukau so either Wendy's or Clevedon suits me.

Coldkiwi
14th February 2003, 11:19
looks like thre will be two groups leaving at the same time. One from otara wendy's, one from clevedon. I presume the guys/girls at Otara are going via bombay? The other group is of course going down the coast via Kaiaua.

Sounds like it'll be a good group at clevedon anyway... no clue how many, but there should be a range of speeds for everyone to enjoy. Its worth taking it easy through some of the hills leading to Orere point in particular (it's on the way) as well if you don't know the road... gives you time to get out of the way of idiot cage drivers who also don't know the road and have crossed onto your side!!! (I nearly saw a mate get cleaned out by a mad van on that section)
:argh:

bluninja
14th February 2003, 11:49
Kayaking? I could never fit in that silly little hole :D and I only go mountain biking on a bike with 2 saddles....plus I am today celebrating 1 year of living in NZ. So must be someone else.

Having seen the last response I think I will be heading to Clevedon; it did appear that the Otara lot would meet up at Clevedon, but this seems now not to be the case.

TTFN

SPman
15th February 2003, 18:59
Think I might try the Clevedon scene - even though I'd have to leave home at 7.45. ..........hmmm........I'll think about it.....:beer:

Kwaka-Kid
15th February 2003, 19:08
dudes, i take it the shell is on the main drag yeah? just makin shure, well ill b there @ 8:30am 2morro morning, im leaveing from west auckland, how long will it take from here abouts? anyone inwest whos keen to ride with me the whole way? reply here ill check again b4 11pm

wkid_one
15th February 2003, 19:40
Shell is on the ONLY drag in Clevedon!!! LOL

You will see a bright yellow VTR (Dan) and a Black and Silver Gixxer (Dan & Hayley) at the station waiting.........

From there round the loop. We are going on to Coromandel and coming back to the races later....get a good ride in - anyone is welcome to join us for the ride (Oysters and/or Mussels at Coromandel doesn't sound bad does it!!)

Kwaka-Kid
15th February 2003, 20:27
okay, so how long from west auckland, glen eden, to cleavedon? sensible time :P

bluninja
15th February 2003, 21:48
Well I'm giving myself 45 mins from Te Atatu. As long as I aim to be there at 8:30 I have a few minutes leeway if I'm wrong....all I need to do is find the Shell services in Clevedon.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
15th February 2003, 21:52
cheers matey, thats perfect, well i live in tat north a fair bit of hte time too :)