PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding a GT250R?

CB_Cam
4th November 2005, 17:45
Looking for some input from anyone riding a Hyosung gt250(R), thinking seriously of putting one in my garage. What are they like to ride both in town and open road? Any complaints / praises...

oscar the cat
13th November 2005, 23:02
yer they look pretty good , found a smuck on one at bbt lol

justsomeguy
14th November 2005, 00:07
Dunno bout a 250R but I was real keen on the GT650R until someone told me he had seen a year old model.......rust in all the wrong places.

Stick to the well known Japanese brands.

Suzuki GSXR250
Yamaha FZR250 or Zeal
Honda CBR250 or VTR250
Kawasaki Balius, ZZR250 or ZXR250

Test ride them all and pick one.

she_said
15th November 2005, 11:35
I have ridden a mates '03 GT250. Top speed is around 140kph, USD froks look awsome. This mate of mine can also get the front wheel up around 11o'clock and hold it up for a little while too so dont underestimate their potential. Just take one for a ride and see what ya think:2thumbsup

btw i prefer my 150 to it anyday!:doobey: :devil2: :love: :p

skelstar
15th November 2005, 12:08
This mate of mine can also get the front wheel up around 11o'clock and hold it up for a little while too so dont underestimate their potential.
This mate of yours can do it on the 250?

The_Dover
15th November 2005, 12:42
Dunno bout a 250R but I was real keen on the GT650R until someone told me he had seen a year old model.......rust in all the wrong places.

Suzuki GSXR250
Yamaha FZR250 or Zeal
Honda CBR250 or VTR250

Talk shite mate, I had a GT250 that lived outside for ages and it was in mint condition when I traded it. Any bike will rust if not looked after, the finish on the Hyosungs is no worse than most Jap 250's I have seen. My only complaint was the brakes were a bit weak but then I was about 105kg when I was riding it and just had to apply a little more pressure on the lever. It stopped.

The 250R looks pretty sweet for a brand new faired 250 and I'd imagine as Hyosung are still building the brand you'll get looked after. The price is also right.

Go test ride one when they hit the shores, that's the only way to tell.

skelstar
15th November 2005, 12:46
Talk shite mate, I had a GT250 that lived outside for ages and it was in mint condition when I traded it. Any bike will rust if not looked after, the finish on the Hyosungs is no worse than most Jap 250's I have seen. My only complaint was the brakes were a bit weak but then I was about 105kg when I was riding it and just had to apply a little more pressure on the lever. It stopped.

The 250R looks pretty sweet for a brand new faired 250 and I'd imagine as Hyosung are still building the brand you'll get looked after. The price is also right.

Go test ride one when they hit the shores, that's the only way to tell.
Well said that man. Ive had very little problem with the brand. The brakes are weakish but they have served me well enough. My bike is about 5months old and still looks as good as day one (actually better as I have removed the ugo mudguard). Its an awesome price and I would buy another (bigger one) if I was confident that I didnt want after-market bling for it as it is a little hard to get hold of the stuff.

skelstar
15th November 2005, 12:53

Suzuki GSXR250
Yamaha FZR250 or Zeal
Honda CBR250 or VTR250

You can only buy one of those brand new (I think) and it is $2000 more expensive (than the unfaired 250GT Comet). Ouch.

she_said
15th November 2005, 15:12
[QUOTE=skelstar]This mate of yours can do it on the 250?[/QUOTE=skelstar]

Sure can man, may be able to get pics but no promises

skelstar
15th November 2005, 16:48
Sure can man, may be able to get pics but no promises
Fair enough...Ive never tried nor do I want to on this bike...I think Ill wait until I can do it under power without having to dump the clutch (assumed method).

Qman
9th December 2005, 13:59
Looking for some input from anyone riding a Hyosung gt250(R), thinking seriously of putting one in my garage. What are they like to ride both in town and open road? Any complaints / praises...

Brought one on Thursday, Black GT250R from Mt Eden, ( if your looking for a bike, these guys were great ) so i will let you know.

Of all the 250cc bikes i have looked at, so far its the best, i look like a clown on most 250's size wise, but not on this.

Its great to be back on two wheels

skelstar
9th December 2005, 14:06
Brought one on Thursday, Black GT250R from Mt Eden, ( if your looking for a bike, these guys were great ) so i will let you know.

Of all the 250cc bikes i have looked at, so far its the best, i look like a clown on most 250's size wise, but not on this.

Its great to be back on two wheels
Good stuff matey. wish I had one...feeling a bit 'traditional' on mine at the moment.

Korea
9th December 2005, 14:10
If you want performance, you'd still go with the Japanese bikes - but then you wouldn't be on a 250, would you?
Ultimately, the Hyosungs offer a lot of bike for not a lot of money. Great value.
I'd have one (to keep the k's down on my 600RR :eek: )

John
9th December 2005, 14:10
looks tastey as, still like my ole zxr.

he said R people not GT the "r" model is faired, check it out - would look abit of alright in black.

Qman
9th December 2005, 14:14
looks tastey as, still like my ole zxr.

he said R people not GT the "r" model is faired, check it out - would look abit of alright in black.

The black looks very cool, will sound even better when i get the aftermarket pipe, i will put up a pic asap

John
9th December 2005, 14:16
http://www.hyosungmotors.hu/models/GT250R.htm

Fark I wouldnt mind one to be honest look abit nice.

skelstar
9th December 2005, 14:30
I think the black does look awesome, but Id be keen to hear how you get on keeping it clean. Def in the mix for my choice of 'next bike' (TM).

Qman
9th December 2005, 14:33
I think the black does look awesome, but Id be keen to hear how you get on keeping it clean. Def in the mix for my choice of 'next bike' (TM).

Hopefully i wont have it long enough for it to get dirty

Just seen my next bike Triumph Daytona 675 ( verrrry cool )

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2664.aspx

Counter-Steer
9th December 2005, 22:22
Yeah, saw a short read up on it bout a month ago. I want it in the charcoal. With all the trim of course.

Ixion
9th December 2005, 23:02
Meh, I thought you meant the Suzuki.

cowpoos
10th December 2005, 13:30

Suzuki GSXR250
Yamaha FZR250 or Zeal
Honda CBR250 or VTR250

my understanding is that suzuki aren't importing the gsx250 at the moment so you won;t beable to get anyof these bikes new apart from the extremly pricey vtr250...

and skel...those 250's make about 27 hp...should beable to wheelie relitivly easy in first off the throttle...or a tiny bit of clutch

Qman
24th December 2005, 11:36
Hey guys and gals

As promised here a a few pics of my new baby

korowetere
24th December 2005, 11:43
Oh yeah, that is a sweet machine...

skelstar
24th December 2005, 12:40
Good stuff. I hope you enjoy it :).

froggyfrenchman
24th December 2005, 12:46
So wots a one of those worth?

cowpoos
24th December 2005, 12:51
So wots a one of those worth?
$6500 i think...

Motu
24th December 2005, 13:33
There a chick rides a pretty red one around Mt Roskill area,saw it just now and it sounds real nice.

Qman
24th December 2005, 16:06
$7200 plus ORC

flash
24th December 2005, 17:28
mmmmmmm, tell me when you crash it so i can buy it back ;)

Qman
24th December 2005, 18:44
mmmmmmm, tell me when you crash it so i can buy it back ;)

If i do drop it you will be first in line, special price as well $7150

skelstar
24th December 2005, 21:55
$6889+ORC down here in Wgtn. TSS.

ducatilover
24th December 2005, 23:53
pharque those 250r's look realy nice....i loooove the red one, but the swingarm looks a bit weak.... prefer the single sided swinger on the bros, i'm thinking bout aprillia rs250 fairings for the bros.... eurodave makes a set :wari: if i had the moolah i would buy a red gt250r and get a cover for the rear seat....:beer:

Gremlin
25th December 2005, 02:36
I don't think it looks that great, but speaking to the guys at Mt Eden, they are great for them. Walking out the door, selling that fast. Everybody likes them, and most I see have the sold sticker on them.

Bit pricey, but in a select market for brand new 250 sports bike.... not to mention some of the new bikers seem to be middle aged guys, looking to get into riding, and want a new sports bike, only getting a 250, and can afford the brand new price. That's why its soo popular.

congrats, and enjoy it :niceone:

Qman
25th December 2005, 12:04
Sorry, error the $7200 includes ORC.

Squiggles
27th December 2005, 07:01

still a bit beyond me :lol: i think i'll stick with rgv 'till full ;)

MidnightMike
17th January 2006, 14:57
http://www.hyosungmotors.hu/models/GT250R.htm

Fark I wouldnt mind one to be honest look abit nice.

Too bad the light looks like the droopy peice on a bloodhounds eye :slap:

Atomic
20th January 2006, 19:44

Nice bike but did you shop around first? Red Baron have em for $5899...ORC possibly another $300ish but you could easily bargin that out.

I decided yesterday that im going to buy one. Cant wait!

ducatilover
20th January 2006, 22:07
Nice bike but did you shop around first? Red Baron have em for $5899...ORC possibly another $300ish but you could easily bargin that out.

I decided yesterday that im going to buy one. Cant wait!
aint that the nekkid bikes price?

El Dopa
21st January 2006, 18:13
I had a sit on the last race one left at Mt Eden yesterday, and it felt 'right' as soon as I stepped on. In contrast, I also had a sit on Keystones old VTR at Colemans, and it didn't feel quite so good. I know you can't really tell until you've been out for a ride, but I'm very tempted. Still considering all my options though.

Mt Eden also seem pretty keen on providing an aftermarket. Exhausts, carbs, sprockets etc. The guy also mentioned that they are getting some single-seat type cowls made up to cover the rear pillion seat.

My gut feeling is that this is a pretty good deal for a 250, and I reckon the after market service at Mt Eden wouldn't be anything to complain about either.

If I decide not to upgrade to a 400, then I'm going to be really seriously considering this deal.

Final thing - apparently they're sold out, but new stock is arriving on the 18th Feb.

Pathos
21st January 2006, 19:27
gorgeous bike, probably the nicest 250 you can buy at the moment being brand new. However it pretty guttless for a 250. I've read that it maxes out at 160 stock.

skelstar
21st January 2006, 23:04
Probably more like 145.

El Dopa
22nd January 2006, 08:38
Probably more like 145.

About the same as my current (naked) VTZ, by the sound of it.

There's some more info on this Australian forum - some interesting points about build quality that are probably worth bearing in mind before parting with your cash, when you're looking around.

http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10543&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=105

Pg 8, a guy claims 163 flat out, and reckons he can get a bit more with some after market fiddling, but probably not much more than 170.

SwanTiger
6th February 2006, 02:30
The GT250R is a great all round bike that would suite the majority of riders wanting to move onto something bigger in size rather than engine capacity.

The seat is comfortable, the acceleration is pretty darn good and its overall handling is excellent. As previously mentioned, the top end speed is considerably slow compared to others, however I am yet to ride a 250cc bike that is at ease doing 140kmph or more. An accurate account of its top speed is more likely to be around 140kmph to 160kmph, depending on the road, decline/incline and the rider, as well as the bikes condition.

Comfort, the seat is inviting and you could find a dozen ways to make love to the gas tank. The pillion seat is nice too, so I’ve heard.

Acceleration, from my perspective, its fairly good and exceeded my expectations for this model. As I'm still running my own ride in, I haven't quite experienced its full potential however there is something to be said for the GT250R.

Speed, you'll be able to cruise the highways or enjoy any given road at comfortable speeds. If you are hoping to race then without heavy modifications its unlikely you'll satisfy your speed-freak inhibitions. The average speeds of 100kpmh to 125kmph means that you can experience considerable pickup - good for overtaking. I got from 100kmph to 110kmph going up-hill within the length of one and a half car spaces and weight 115kg's. All the while staying below 7,000 RPM as its still being run in :blip:

Handling, I began to trust the bike within the first day, but am yet to push it. From what I've read and experienced myself, the shocks, tires, weight, style and size of the bike all combine for a smooth ride. It feels firm and responsive (for lack of a better word) and looks hot shit while taking the corners, naturally.

THE SOUND, for a 250cc bike, it sounds fucken good, even in top gear you know who’s coming up behind you. It looks and sounds bloody good.

Style, the sound and look of the bike mixed together draws attention, especially when people look out for a "common name" and see HYOSUNG on the side. The first day I went for a ride I had a guy pull up at an intersection next to me and ask a dozen questions about the bike. I've watched people in cars starring, people on sidewalks gawking.

Good for all you pretty boys out there, I'm sure that there are a few - my perspective however is the attention gained is good for safety reasons. I've only had one "woman driver" try to run me off the road - the horn sounds good too by the way - it compliments the pissed off arm waves and vulgar gestures.

Pathos
24th February 2007, 13:33
I took one out for a test ride today, SwanTiger is right on the money.

Handling, looks, sub 100 acceleration, gear box, clutch and are all sweet.
top speed: meh... struggles to get over 140 but does the engine loosen up ?
brakes: meh...anyone know if a brake pad change would make a difference ?
tyres: heard bad things about the shinkos but couldn't really test them myself. Whats the best pair for the GT250R ?

Things that surprised me: gearbox had a nice weight to it. Pick in low revs was nice. Seat has enough room to sit back and lean forward, or sit forward upright (I'm 6'3"...). Handling was wonderful...so much better than the fxr and I instantly felt very confident.

can anyone answer my questions regarding the engine, brakes and tyres ? will have a big impact on whether I buy one or not (thinking hard about it) ? thanks in advance

Fub@r
24th February 2007, 15:25
tyres: heard bad things about the shinkos but couldn't really test them myself. Whats the best pair for the GT250R ?

I've had mine up to 160 and still wasn't at redline, have seen them do 170.

For me the brakes are fine but then I can only compare them to a Ginny :)

I still lack the experience to comment on tyres

rookie
24th February 2007, 17:44
Handling, looks, sub 100 acceleration, gear box, clutch and are all sweet.

Things that surprised me: gearbox had a nice weight to it. Pick in low revs was nice. Seat has enough room to sit back and lean forward, or sit forward upright (I'm 6'3"...). Handling was wonderful...so much better than the fxr and I instantly felt very confident.

can anyone answer my questions regarding the engine, brakes and tyres ? will have a big impact on whether I buy one or not (thinking hard about it) ? thanks in advance

I also took one for a test ride (they wouldnt let me test ride the new zx6).

I agree the gearbox and clutch are fairly good...got it up to 160 and would have kept goin but needs a LONG straight(this was within the first 100km on the bike).
IMO, the sub 40 acceleration was good but sad above that...i really liked how it didnt mind sticking to 50km/hr as well...whereas the zxr coughs and moans...very well behaved.
brakes: little soft but seemed alright.
tyres: like you ...i had heard bad things about the shinkos - but they seemed sweet once I had scrubbed them in...it was the soft damping that was the limit of the handling for me.
Nice sound below 5000rpm.
nice position with fairly good handling for a first bike. Stiffening up the damping would be my first mod.

Pathos
24th February 2007, 20:04
I was leaning it over at 120-130 and I felt a little wobbling at the front. Handle bars weren't moving at all so it was either the suspension or tyres. I was going over some white lines at the time and the tyres were new so I put it down to that, nothing that would put you any danger.

The brakes just don't compare to the fxr which is wicked in that respect. On the way home a car started pulling out in front of me from a parking spot, I was glad I was back on the fxr, with the hyosung I may have had a moment.

$CENSLS1$
24th February 2007, 21:48
From what i've read these seem to get good reviews everytime :yes:

Pathos
24th February 2007, 22:33
From what i've read these seem to get good reviews everytime :yes:

They are good bikes, only 3 issues I know of

Engine: gutless out of town, not really fixable without throwing too much money at it. But this has benefits around town with its low end torque.
Tyres: Some people really don't like those shinko's.
Brakes: A little on the weak side. Hopefully a brake pad change will make a difference but I need some to verify that.

WarlockNZ
25th February 2007, 08:36
They are good bikes, only 3 issues I know of

Engine: gutless out of town, not really fixable without throwing too much money at it. But this has benefits around town with its low end torque.
Brakes: A little on the weak side. Hopefully a brake pad change will make a difference but I need some to verify that.

Meh, it's a 250, the only power issue i've had was on the desert road, with nothing left in the hills without a down-change to 4th or 3rd.

hated the shinko's and got them replaced at 2000K

grab a fist full... that'll stop ya .. lol

I've got some braided lines coming, so i'll see if that makes a difference:)

rookie
25th February 2007, 11:14
I was leaning it over at 120-130 and I felt a little wobbling at the front.

The brakes just don't compare to the fxr which is wicked in that respect.

The wobble is due to suspension (or low tyre pressures). Front tyres tend to drift if they are crap or new. New rear tyres like to step out through corners.

Dont forget that new discs need to be worn in before they are really useful. Requires roughly 300km of general use without braking really really hard - dont ride around with the brakes constantly on softly either.

I've got some braided lines coming, so i'll see if that makes a difference:)

Should do after long periods of hard braking.(brake fluid heats up and makes rubber lines soft causing brake fade). Could try re-bleeding brakes??

skelstar
25th February 2007, 19:06
Good enough to chase 4 litre bikes around the South Is for 2500kms 12months ago.

They never slipped under me and I'm not fast but I wasn't that slow.

You just don't know they're weak until you ride something that is strong...so what does it matter? Didn't stop me from doing anything (pun not intended).

I'll re-iterate: make sure you get opinions from people that have ACTUALLY ridden the bikes...not just heard someone say it once.

Pathos
25th February 2007, 21:47
I'll re-iterate: make sure you get opinions from people that have ACTUALLY ridden the bikes...not just heard someone say it once.

I am reiterating opinions from people I trust who have ridden it.

I push my bikes hard (carpark racing) and I'm going to give my next bike a good run whatever it ends up being so I want it to be as safe as feasibly possible hence my questions on the tyres and brakes.

rookie
26th February 2007, 22:09
I am reiterating opinions from people I trust who have ridden it.

I push my bikes hard (carpark racing) and I'm going to give my next bike a good run whatever it ends up being so I want it to be as safe as feasibly possible hence my questions on the tyres and brakes.

get a zxr or cbr.
i thought the hyosung handled well until i took the zxr over the same road afterwards. The zxr drops in like nothing else I’ve ever ridden – every time i ride another bike i always get back on mine and think...man this is awesome - would be much more suitable for your carpark shenanigans.

Pathos
26th February 2007, 23:04
get a zxr or cbr.
i thought the hyosung handled well until i took the zxr over the same road afterwards. The zxr drops in like nothing else I’ve ever ridden – every time i ride another bike i always get back on mine and think...man this is awesome - would be much more suitable for your carpark shenanigans.

I know but I just can't be bothered spending 4+ grand on a 20 year old bike. If something needs replacing on a hyosung I take it in and the warranty will mean I won't pay a cent and the parts will be easily available.

only other options is to ride something outside my license conditions without insurance which I don't like the idea of.

skelstar
27th February 2007, 08:02
Be aware that the Hyosung warranty is only 12months or 10,000kms. Bit short IMHO.

Those conditions may have changed of course.

Pathos
27th February 2007, 17:38
Be aware that the Hyosung warranty is only 12months or 10,000kms. Bit short IMHO.

Those conditions may have changed of course.

yeah but a acquaintance was still able to get a full cash refund via the consumers guarantee act after the warranty lapsed. Companies wish they could make the rules.

I'm jealous of the EU as they have brought in some major minimum warranty periods for all products be imported.

rookie
27th February 2007, 21:25
I know but I just can't be bothered spending 4+ grand on a 20 year old bike. If something needs replacing on a hyosung I take it in and the warranty will mean I won't pay a cent and the parts will be easily available.

only other options is to ride something outside my license conditions without insurance which I don't like the idea of.

good call.

Pancakes
10th March 2007, 15:59
Some of the speeds here might just be a bit on the hopeful side and alot of the comments are one eyed, from the for and against camps! I got mine because I could buy it brand new. You don't know the history of a 2nd hand bike and I didn't want to spend time in the garage to fix something that is primarily a commuter.

Brakes are weaker than most bikes I've ridden. Have just gone to scintered pads which feels a bit better but next step is braided lines so we'll find the weak point sooner or later.

The tyres, I'm sure they're not the best in the world or the bikes would cost a few g's more but thats not the point (someones going to chime in with the old tyres are the most important blah blah) bikes are made by companies who want to sell them not safety freaks who are giving them away. I think they are suitable for the bikes characteristics and most riders would struggle to find the limits of the Shinko's due to their own skill levels (people who are used to pushing the limits or are after tons of grunt aren't going to buy one of these, also soft compounds and commuting will see your rubber gone in the middle quick as so in greasy lane splitting scenarios there will be a big bald soft slab of rubber ready for a slide). That said, once they're worn out, looking for the best quality tyre you can afford that suits your usage and style will never be a bad move.

I've had mine to 150 and don't think revving the engine much harder would be a good idea but if a blown block is worth the bragging rights of posting up a higher number in an internet forum please take some pictures too!

The only thing that I think is a weak point on these [U]given the price compared to other bikes[U] is the 'box. It has a long ish throw and the gears must be cut on a fairly high angle as mine has "popped out" of gear a few times.

I'd be really interested in hearing what mods people have done to there or seeing some pics of the exhausts etc some have posted about.

Pathos
10th March 2007, 19:11
Some of the speeds here might just be a bit on the hopeful side ...Brakes are weaker than most bikes I've ridden

Do you have the gt250 (unfaired) or gtr250r(faired) ?

Pancakes
10th March 2007, 19:14
Unfaired but aren't the boxes the same, ie, same speed = same revs?

WarlockNZ
11th March 2007, 14:29
The engines on the GT, GTR and GV are all the same ... just tuned differently.

Shit ... a close look at your engine should reveal the GV-250 Stamp ... LOL

Squiggles
11th March 2007, 17:55
The engines on the GT, GTR and GV are all the same ... just tuned differently.

Shit ... a close look at your engine should reveal the GV-250 Stamp ... LOL

just like how a kawasaki zzr,gpx,gpz, and el250 engines are the same

Pancakes
11th March 2007, 20:30
Exactly, so why are people claiming such high top speeds? That motor doesn't feel happy for long at more than 10,000rpm and the whole engine unit is shared among the Hyosungs, one of the ways they've kept the costs down. Can anyone who says they've done 160+ please post the engine speed too?

c4ble
13th March 2007, 03:58
Hi guys, to clear your doubts, check out the video and the guy's website. Btw, the bike is sold as Naza Blade in Malaysia. Cheers!

174km/h
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYM4RRGgaxI

Bike in action in Sepang Race Track, KL, Malaysia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoPyhXOBRI

The guy's website (include some mods)
http://planet.time.net.my/sepang/adilz/

disenfranchised
14th March 2007, 15:37
That first vid seems a little suss...the way the shot fades into the bike suddenly going 169kph...for all we know there was a massive downhill before that started.

Don't get me wrong though, I think the bikes are great, but I doubt my GT250 would get anywhere close to those speeds.
In top gear at 10.5krpm down a slight grade the bike just refuses to speed up...there's just way to much wind resistance

gw555
14th March 2007, 17:08
I've had 165km, according to the speedo, out of my GT250 on a completely windless day. Only done it twice ( did it the second time to prove the first was right) because I dont really think the engine wants to sit at those revs for a long period of time as pancakes says

Pancakes
14th March 2007, 18:23
If you take a peek in the exhaust can I recon the engine is at it's max due to back pressure. Am working on carbon straight swap cans for them, the test one will be ready this weekend all going well then on goes the exhaust gas sensor for some testing. First priority is making sure the mixture is still ok/can be adjusted correctly with minimal cost/effort and the second seeing how much more power (if any, funny how much those well paid designers know) it makes. Had it on up the driveway and the GT250's sound real nice with a new can. I'll post once they're available. Not knowing what issues there will be to deal with (hopes, not many but who knows) I can't give a timeframe as to availability but price should be under $300 and considering you will still have your factory can should it be needed at warrant time thats pretty good I recon.

HungusMaximist
19th March 2007, 23:37
The only thing why I didn't enjoy the Hyosung was the engine performance. True the gears were harsh (finding stationary netural is very hard), the shocks were spongy, and the carbs were a little fluffy. I did own a 2003 version and it was a while back while I was living in Melbourne.

In terms of pros, a good communting bike, large full sized bike, sound of the v-twin and the GT250R looks pretty sweet. I'll be keeping my eyes on the Hyosung brand and they are definitely a going to be a big player in the market.

I thoroughly recommend getting a an aftermarket can, it opens it up and makes it sound billion times better. Do try the 650 Tourer version and they throw in with the touring screen, heated grips and pannier bags. Haven't seen them here but I gave them a run in OZ.

jackon2wheels
19th April 2007, 23:01

I am trading-in my Yammie XT 250 for a brand new GT250r on the 20th of April. Still couldn't make up my mind on the colour; black, yellow and red all of them looks awesome - very difficult choice really. After having researched all available 250 sportbikes new and second-hand in Australia, I came to the conclusion that Usong GT250r is the best choice. Kawasaki range is way too small for my size GPX and ZZR, Yammie ZEAL, Suzuki Bandit, Honda CBR, Hornet-250, or Kawasaki Balius are mostly grey imports with limited known history. I read here in there on the internet about the brake pad problems, week breaking and so on about GT250r, however these bikes actually comes with 24 months warranty in Australia (not sure what the situation is in New Zealand) for the price and 24 months warranty tag awesome looks and suitable size something between 25 to 28 horses with a possiblity of increase in power with racing cans and carbie adjustments - how can you go wrong really for a 250. :rockon:

Fub@r
23rd April 2007, 22:18
I am trading-in my Yammie XT 250 for a brand new GT250r on the 20th of April. Still couldn't make up my mind on the colour; black, yellow and red all of them looks awesome - very difficult choice really. After having researched all available 250 sportbikes new and second-hand in Australia, I came to the conclusion that Usong GT250r is the best choice. Kawasaki range is way too small for my size GPX and ZZR, Yammie ZEAL, Suzuki Bandit, Honda CBR, Hornet-250, or Kawasaki Balius are mostly grey imports with limited known history. I read here in there on the internet about the brake pad problems, week breaking and so on about GT250r, however these bikes actually comes with 24 months warranty in Australia (not sure what the situation is in New Zealand) for the price and 24 months warranty tag awesome looks and suitable size something between 25 to 28 horses with a possiblity of increase in power with racing cans and carbie adjustments - how can you go wrong really for a 250. :rockon:

So what colour did you choose?

WarlockNZ
24th April 2007, 20:37
MANGO!!!!!!:rockon: :rockon:

vamr
26th April 2007, 01:55
Had a good peek at a gt250r today. Certainly look the business (all modern-like and whatnot)... one of these days I'll have to beg one of the owners for a go to see what lives under the fairings.

Meekey_Mouse
26th April 2007, 13:14
Well, after all the hassling I've given Hyobag owners... It seems that I may now be one :mellow: :gob: :shutup:

:done:

Jeaves
26th April 2007, 15:29
Well, after all the hassling I've given Hyobag owners... It seems that I may now be one :mellow: :gob: :shutup:

Which model are you looking at getting?

rookie
26th April 2007, 18:08

....?!?!?!:gob:....

flash
26th April 2007, 19:01
Hi guys, to clear your doubts, check out the video and the guy's website. Btw, the bike is sold as Naza Blade in Malaysia. Cheers!

174km/h
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYM4RRGgaxI

Bike in action in Sepang Race Track, KL, Malaysia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoPyhXOBRI

The guy's website (include some mods)
http://planet.time.net.my/sepang/adilz/
no wonder he went so fast, hes Malaysian so hes probally 30-40kgs (no offence to anyone :P). i used to own a 2004 hyosung gt250 and i only got it to 140kmh, anymore felt like i was killing the engine

Fub@r
26th April 2007, 19:14
no wonder he went so fast, hes Malaysian so hes probally 30-40kgs (no offence to anyone :P). i used to own a 2004 hyosung gt250 and i only got it to 140kmh, anymore felt like i was killing the engine

I've had my GT250R to 165kph without a problem.......GTR might be geared differently to a GT

flash
26th April 2007, 19:22
I've had my GT250R to 165kph without a problem.......GTR might be geared differently to a GT
at the very least itl with be alot more areodynamic with the fairings

325rocket
26th April 2007, 19:54
thought id drop my 2c in...
i picked up an 07 GT250R about a month ago and haven’t stopped smiling since.
Admittedly im new to bikes and it is the first bike I have owned, but it’s a shit load of fun. There was a huge hole in the market for a learner friendly bike with the looks of a bigger bike. There seems to be a lot of people around that don’t consider hyosung’s to be real bikes but im pretty sure if they came out as they are but with Suzuki or Kawasaki slapped on the tank they would get a better go from the more experienced riders.
My original plan was to wait it out for 12 months (im over 25) and jump straight on a CBR600 …. Shit im glad I didn’t! it amazes me how much I didn’t know I didn’t know.
For the stage im at its the perfect bike, fast enough to keep me entertained as I learn but not fast enough to get into to much trouble. Well that’s my opinion anyway.

Oh yea …. But the tyres are crap

Meekey_Mouse
26th April 2007, 20:05
Which model are you looking at getting?

Looking at? :confused: I've bought it without even seeing it!! I really should get out of this habit... 3rd bike bought site unseen! :third:

frogfeaturesFZR
26th April 2007, 20:19
So Jas...........tell all, and pikkies please !:yes:

Meekey_Mouse
26th April 2007, 20:42
So Jas...........tell all, and pikkies please !:yes:

Lol, it's a winter project. As I didn't have much money after getting every thing for the track, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Has been in a small accident so needs some time and love put into it :love: I don't have any pics as of yet but I am picking it up next week :yes:

Does any one know of any crashed Hyo's that are going for parts or where I can get parts from?

Pathos
27th April 2007, 00:06
When I test rode the gt250r I ran out of grunt at 140@~9000rpm, clock only had 100k's on it so probably will go further once the engine opens up. Definitely must be geared higher than the gt250.

Seriously looking at getting one of these for a sports tourer role. Just need an excuse to buy one or job security.

mango ftw

toymachine
27th April 2007, 08:18
Lol, it's a winter project. As I didn't have much money after getting every thing for the track, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Has been in a small accident so needs some time and love put into it :love: I don't have any pics as of yet but I am picking it up next week :yes:

Does any one know of any crashed Hyo's that are going for parts or where I can get parts from?

Second hand hyo parts? :S

Good luck!

Wannabiker
9th June 2007, 21:56
Well I have 2 x '06 models, (yellow (OK mango) and black). The yellow on has now done 18000kms without a missed beat! It has done 165, and will do 135-140 carrying a pillion. I bought that one at 10000km. Someone had modified the muffler to make it a straight through, and it sounds great! I got asked by some boy racers if the bike was a Ducati...OK they obviously couldnt read, but it does sound great.
My other one I bought at 1000 km (ex demonstrator). It has now done 7000km. My son wanted to get his lisence so he got the first one! Buggr!! They have both revved to 12000rpm, though usually don't need to be pushed that hard. Plenty of pickup for passing and thru the twisties.

So why the Hyosung? Well it was a first bike so had to be a 250. I am 6' and all the other 250s feel awkward. They look good and go really well...for a 250 I have taken mine to Napier several times and Wanganui, Down to the south Island over the Takaka hill (worth the trip just for the hill!). They have good fuel economy 28km/l and good range with a big fuel tank. Wellington to Napier easy on a tank of gas. I have ridden mine in near gale force crosswinds along the Wararapa and Takapau plains and is pretty stable at 120, more so than at slower speeds. A must for riding in Wellington. I weigh 110 and the missus is about 70 and it carries us both with ease, over the Rimutakas and down south over the Takaka hill

I have upgraded the chains as the original stretches at about 10 000k's and have just put a set of sintered pads on mine which does improve the feel of the brakes...though I didnt really think there was tooo much wrong with them from new I thougt.

Well thats my 2 bobs worth on the Hyosung GT250, in all a pretty good bike

WarlockNZ
10th June 2007, 08:43
Next Stop ... Ruling the World!!!! ... mu ha ha ha

Go team Mango!

Fub@r
10th June 2007, 15:45
Next Stop ... Ruling the World!!!! ... mu ha ha ha

Go team Mango!

Judging by sales reports in various countries they are slowly doing that. Quite impressive for a relatively new player in the market. Would be nice if we could get the overseas colours, like two tone etc

Kiwifire72
11th June 2007, 14:17
Hi me and the wife both have GT250R new 2007's an they go great. My wife traded her new kawasaki 2007 for a new GT250R cause after having a ride on my bike she loved the way it rode :)

:scooter:

Great bikes, well recommend

Lauza
16th June 2007, 20:27
Alrighty then, well after reading my way through all those posts.. I'm looking to buy a 250, have been riding the GV250 for the last 6 months, but its shared with my boyfriend and beginning to be a pain in the ass. Having the same issue as a lot of ppl.. i'm not sure i can bring myself to spend $5000 on a 15 year old bike with 30,000kms on it, which appears to be the norm. I test rode a used GT250R the other day, 7,000kms, 1 year old $5500.. seems like the better deal... however, completely agree that the brakes are crap, but it was suggested to me that the fluid they come out new with is crap, so possibly just changing the fluid and getting some decent brake pads would fix the problem, seems like an easy enough solution. I'm used to finding neutral on the GV, so that's not a problem either :P .. i love the size of the bike and that it meant the seating position wasnt too cramped. I'm also looking at a FZR and have noticed a couple of ZXR's that might be alright, the FZR has 11,000kms on it and is a 94, I'm 5'8", will the size difference really be annoying (i've never sat on a FZR or the likes), ie. are my elbows constantly goin to be getting in the way? i've noticed a lot of ppl dislike hyosungs immensly.. but its only for a year till i can get a big girls bike to play on... so im not that fussed.. its not like im buying it to have for ages. i ride with too many honda riders, that they're opinion is VTR or CBR.. but i like the faired look.. wish they made the little VTR look like the Litre VTR.. i wouldn't have had to think twice, especially as it would be new, unlike the ridiculous pricing for 15 year old CBR's ... so opinions please... sizing difference, power difference.. unknown history, big names vs hyosungs, does the tyre, brakes and vtwin "inferiority" when considering top end speed, does it compare to the age and problems that can come with that of the FZR, CBR, ZXR etc etc??? LOL.. have to know what ppl other than Honda big boy riders think. :P

Wannabiker
17th June 2007, 08:47
We had a 3 bike race the other day.My GT250R was doin 155, my son passed me after slipstreaming me at 165 on his. (he has a straight thru muffler and 18000km on the clock), and his mate on an FZR wound up to 175km/h. So yes there is a difference in top end...but when would you really use it?
The FZR and Hyosung were pretty much neck-and-neck over the Rimutakas, just the FZR rider had bigger kahunas than me in overtaking manouveres. (he would only miss school, I wouldn't get paid in the event of an off)

The FZR sounds nice....like anything does at 18000 rpm....and thats the key! Im sure all the second hane ones have been ridden like that.(I also have trouble believing a 13 year old bike has only done 10 000km. I have managed to do that in 8 months) The Hyo was doing a more sedate 10000 to achieve the same result, thats where the better fuel economy comes from.

Brakes?? Well having come from a representative cycling career both (especially mountainbike,) I can assure you that any motorcycle disk brake is better than a bicycle brake!! I have replaced the pads with sintered ones when the originals wore out and there was an improvement. The originals do seem to take some time to bed in properly though. The original chain is a little weak and does tend to stretch after 10 000k's as well, but easily rectified too.

Pancakes
17th June 2007, 23:54
Judging by sales reports in various countries they are slowly doing that. Quite impressive for a relatively new player in the market. Would be nice if we could get the overseas colours, like two tone etc

Can't remember where it was but I beleive the factory has been making engines since '79. I bet 99% of us wouldn't recognise any of the names of companies/factories that really make bikes on contract from the brand names.

Fub@r
18th June 2007, 20:26
Can't remember where it was but I beleive the factory has been making engines since '79. I bet 99% of us wouldn't recognise any of the names of companies/factories that really make bikes on contract from the brand names.

Yeah Hyosung has been around since the 60's as a company. Been making scooters for ages and assembling abnd making some parts for suzuki bikes plus other major brand names . Only been since 2003 thereabouts that they have actively gotten in to the sports style bikes

CMorgan
12th August 2007, 08:24
http://www.motorcycles.pro/Motorcycles/HyosungSportsMotorcycleGT250R/tabid/207/Default.aspx

Yeah - I've been look'in at the Hyosung GT250Rs for a while... finally broke down and bought the new 2008 black frame, black rim model from Motorcycles.pro. Whoa, the black frame is Sweeeet! The yellow one looks like a bumble bee on freak'in steroids.

Since I'm new to sport bikes, I wanted something that looks nice, but that wasn't going to kill me. I had the stickers removed so now everyone asks ne if it is a suzuki.

After a few weeks, already had the thing topped out at 106 mph. Overall, I was impressed with the quality and performance. Never owned a jap sport bike, but just from my experience, it seems like a well built motorcycle and I get alot of attention.

These guys were great - about a month of driving, they let me upgrade to a gt650R - for 100% full trade up value! The main thing I noticed on the 650R is the brakes are not solid. I had a $#%$ driver cut me off the other day and almost laid it over. I haven't pushed the envelope on the 650R yet, you can definately tell the difference in power.

CMorgan
12th August 2007, 08:26
http://www.motorcycles.pro/Motorcycles/HyosungSportsMotorcycleGT250R/tabid/207/Default.aspx

Yeah - I've been look'in at the Hyosung GT250Rs for a while... finally broke down and bought the new 2008 black frame, black rim model from Motorcycles.pro. Whoa, the black frame is Sweeeet! The yellow one looks like a bumble bee on freak'in steroids.

Since I'm new to sport bikes, I wanted something that looks nice, but that wasn't going to kill me. I had the stickers removed so now everyone asks ne if it is a suzuki.

After a few weeks, already had the thing topped out at 106 mph. Overall, I was impressed with the quality and performance. Never owned a jap sport bike, but just from my experience, it seems like a well built motorcycle and I get alot of attention.

These guys were great - about a month of driving, they let me upgrade to a gt650R - for 100% full trade up value! The main thing I noticed on the 650R is the brakes are not solid. I had a $#%$ driver cut me off the other day and almost laid it over. I haven't pushed the envelope on the 650R yet, you can definately tell the difference in power.

Zuki Bandit
12th August 2007, 19:52
These bikes look pretty nice. It's about time new 250's started looking not so anorexic!

blade1000
12th August 2007, 20:02
hi there is not much around for these bikes so if you dont find one pm me and i can convert your stock can for a fraction of the price:second:

Pancakes
12th August 2007, 21:50
There's also a guy in Invercargill that does swap-out cans that weigh less than the std ones (that are chonic heavy!) and check-out the thing below, not in NZ yet tho'.

gpcustom
8th December 2008, 16:29
Hi just joined this site today. Ive been trail ridding for the last 15+ years and thought id give the road bike thing ago. So ive sold my 400 dirt bike and got myself a hyosung gt250r 2006 yellow. I flew to chch to pick it up and road it back to dunedin. It sat on 130 to 140 easy and i had it up to 160 i dont think it would do much more than that. I went for the hyosung because it looks realy good and its a big looking bike unlike others where i would have looked like a dick on it. I have allready made a new muffler for it and have decided to make a hole new header pipes as they have a big ugly colletor thing thats probley choking it. With the muffler on it it sounds sweet i pulled up at my mates place and he thought i was ridding a 1000cc bike lol.

chaos rider
16th December 2008, 20:48
i got me a hyo for my first bike 3 months ago
rust on some of the exhaust pipes nothing to bad
bike is amazing i love it could do with some more gutz but im working on that at the moment

soon as i hit 10k she'll be all good new exhaust system change the jets new carb system/ looking at a supercharger for it

basic overhual from road bike to sport bike lol

best 250 ever i say and as for getting thrashed by bigger bikes.. BULL kept up with 1300's on the windy roads and even left some behind (i am i bit crazy with me driving style though)

Gubb
16th December 2008, 21:22
looking at a supercharger for it
Pass it to the left bro. :doobey:

ducatilover
17th December 2008, 14:02
best 250 ever i say (i am i bit crazy)
slight editing. hmmmm:girlfight:

Dodger
17th December 2008, 15:00
Well I dropped my GT250 into TSS for it's 32000ish service today (closer to 33k), and as a loaner I have a GT250R with 130km on the clock.

After riding the GT250, I find the GT250R cramped, and in fact I was a little sore after the short trip into town.
That being said it feels much lighter and more responsive, (but this could be due to the lower seat and riding position) and also looks very nice up close.

There was also very little room for my Tank bag. :(

chaos rider
17th December 2008, 21:23
Pass it to the left bro. :doobey:
well that idea went out the window like 10 minutes after i posted when i found the new regulations for the gp 250

and to answer a few questions the brakes are a bit woody but when there due for a change get some sporty pads and she'll be sweet:eek5:

i.sean
18th January 2009, 16:13
Just got my first bike- red GT250R, been had it for nearly a month. just done the full services and change to new battery. Bikes run very well, alot ppl mistake a bigger bike, some ppl from road come to me ask me abt it. Well, i havent tried any others bike. so can't comment much. but i can said, the looks is fantastic, and it cant be wrong if you just to had it for full license. Alot review said, its the biggest bike among the 250cc. its good for you to get use and prepare to get bigger bike.

gpcustom
18th January 2009, 18:17
ok so since ive had the hyosung ive made a muffler for it. It does sound good. Now ive choped out the stupid box thing that the pipes collets into under the frame hard to say if it goes any difrent yet havnt had a chance to take it for a good blast yet. Ive allso been having some flooding trouble with it after giving it a burst it plays up a bit till you give it a rev then its ok again> Im gana pull the carbs off and take a look at it

gpcustom
18th January 2009, 18:38
here are some pics i dont no how to get them up on here so ive used trademe...http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/90/84701890_full.jpg
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/23/84701923_full.jpg
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/44/84701944_full.jpg
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/69/84701969_full.jpg
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/98/84701998_full.jpg

sauplink
4th November 2009, 20:46
me mate has a 06. black. fallen few times......skirts rise......he bends........and the bike comes back for more. I had a vtec bandit (which a couple of aucklands cardboard thugs stole), and for the most part, he was able to keep up and I have ridden that bike. I have had litre bikes most of me life. the hyosung is a well balanced and very forgiving bike. we are both tall guys, and slim frames, and we ride that bike comfortably, including pillion......typical stupid biker fuel stories.......point is its light on fuel. and surprisingly not bad handling in wind...... and do mean heavy wind.only thing, we were advised by our other mate Todd, a veteran rider that the front forks needed more oil, which they did fill. cant remember specs. it does handle much better my mate claims (personally I preferred it softer, especially in the wet). and third party is about $46 bucks for the year. bike stands outside and gets ridden rain or shine, and no rust. clusters dont have condensation inside, so I must say its well engineered machine for the price. go past auckland uni, and you plenty of youngsters thrashing them. and is amazingly good on tyres too. take it for ride and think about it. in NZ bikes are expensive, and there are greedy people selling 1980 - 1995 bikes at silly prices at times over 5 grand. some of the bikes, have low millage, but its technology, and fact is they still look old, no matter how years it was parked in garage, and aunty next door always kept an eye on it. so cheers bru.
ride safe and ride to live.