PDA

View Full Version : Sore Wrists and Hands.....

roks
4th November 2005, 22:29
ok..so I'm a newbie to the wonderful world of motorcycling but I suffer from aching hands and wrists even after just a short ride. I do suffer from tendonitis but this is usually only minimal. Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?? Wondering also if it's because I may be a little tense when riding and haven't quite relaxed yet.

HDTboy
4th November 2005, 22:38
You will harden up with time, I was sweet in less than a month

roks
4th November 2005, 22:44
I hope so, it's sort of taken some of the excitement and thrill away from riding. I've wondered whether getting one of those whatever you call them from a sports shop would help to strengthen me up.

Zed
4th November 2005, 22:46
ok..so I'm a newbie to the wonderful world of motorcycling but I suffer from aching hands and wrists even after just a short ride. I do suffer from tendonitis but this is usually only minimal. Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?? Wondering also if it's because I may be a little tense when riding and haven't quite relaxed yet.How long have you been riding the Marauder roks? If only a short while then I'd say you'll probably adjust over time, your wrists should get stronger and shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the tendonitis thing might be the cause??

I would recommend getting higher handle bars but not sure if they would make a difference on your bike, my experience & knowledge mainly concerns sportsbikes not cruisers.

Hope you can get some relief soon...

transformerboy
4th November 2005, 22:46
still afraid of the bike, griping to hard.. yeah it'l pass if not it'l be the position of ur brake/cluch leavers may have to angle them up or down.. time wasting task but could be worth it if u find uv still got pain in a month..

stevedee
4th November 2005, 22:47
Only thing I can offer is relax as much as you can when riding. You don't have to hold on with the death grip, the bike knows how to stay upright. The more you relax, within reason, the better the bike will look after you. But that does'nt mean you relax your mind, stay alert for danger. And Marauders rock.

Paul in NZ
4th November 2005, 22:53
Guys have an easier time because we are all serial masturbators and have stronger wrists....

Honestly...

Nah!

Stop wrestling with the bike and you will start to come right! If you are worried, make sure it's in tune, work out at the gym or make a date with White trash.... Relax... You will be fine...

If I can ride the the horrid Guzzi around the SI and still type this you will be FINE!

James Deuce
4th November 2005, 22:53
transformerboy is right but it only takes about 2 minutes per bar to do. All you have to do is loosen the pinch bolts for each lever (brake and clutch) and then rotate them up or down until your hands feel comfortable operating them.

Paul in NZ
4th November 2005, 23:02
transformerboy is right but it only takes about 2 minutes per bar to do. All you have to do is loosen the pinch bolts for each lever (brake and clutch) and then rotate them up or down until your hands feel comfortable operating them.

When I sober up....

I'll tell you what Jim means (but really he's mad and I'm quite drunk)

roks
4th November 2005, 23:08
]
Only thing I can offer is relax as much as you can when riding. You don't have to hold on with the death grip, the bike knows how to stay upright. The more you relax, within reason, the better the bike will look after you. But that does'nt mean you relax your mind, stay alert for danger. And Marauders rock.

[COLOR=Magenta]You are so right about Marauders rock...I am delighted with this beaut bike, just hoping the hands thing will settle down in time. :argh: [/COLOR

roks
4th November 2005, 23:11
When I sober up....

I'll tell you what Jim means (but really he's mad and I'm quite drunk)

Thanks...I'll get my other half to do this, I've also got quite small hands so it's extra hard for me, he's already adjusted the clutch for me as I didn't have the strength to bring it all the way in. I've only been riding for a couple of weeks and probably need to relax more and flex my fingers a bit.

Thanks to all for the advice etc, this place is great!!

roks
4th November 2005, 23:14
[QUOTE=Paul in NZ]Guys have an easier time because we are all serial masturbators and have stronger wrists....

Shite....I missed that bit, but it's probably quite true :slap: :niceone:

Mooch
4th November 2005, 23:19
As well as adjusting bar position if your doing a lot of city riding you'll find that arms / wrists will take more strain. Try a bit more open road riding where the wind will take the weight your arms / wrists and you'll enjoy riding more as a result. The strength will come over time.

James Deuce
4th November 2005, 23:24
Arrrrrrrrrrr

Mrs Old Farts
5th November 2005, 06:58
Hi Roks
I like you, have a marauder 250 and have only been riding for about a month so i know just what you are going thru. I had to get my other half to adjust the clutch and brake for me also. I also had the problem with sore wrists etc and the others are right, its because you are abit anxious and are holding on real tight. When you relax a bit it all goes away (thank god) and remember to keep your wrists as level with your arm as you can, Learnt that at riding school, this helped me heaps.
Good luck and enjoy your bike Yeah i do !! :niceone:

ktee
5th November 2005, 07:10
Hi Roks.

I have been riding for almost a year now.

I found that on my Kawasaki ZZR250 (Sport style bike) I get really sore wrists and achy hands ( they ache for ages afterwards) .... but on my Suzuki GN250 I'm absolutely fine. (I have now sold my ZZR, it was not suitable all round for me and my riding comfort).

Now I see you ride a similar style bike to the GN but maybe everyone needs a certain angle in their wrists or are more suitable to a different riding style.

If it doesn't go away .... try riding a friends bike and see if another style of bike is better.

Good luck with this. :niceone:

XTC
5th November 2005, 07:14
My wrists and hands get a hell of a lot of exercise :tugger: so I can't really offer any advice as I don't suffer from this affliction. :o

Seriously tho - Just relax....

roks
5th November 2005, 08:57
The keeping your wrists level thing is the same as for horse riding, actually much of riding a bike goes hand in hand with riding a horse. I'ts a beaut day in Christchurch, perfect for an open road cruise.

Beemer
5th November 2005, 09:15
I have sympathy for you Roks, I had the same problem when I started riding. Even after half an hour, I would have aching wrists and my hands would feel like I'd been squeezing rocks! It takes a while to get used to riding and as you gain confidence you will unconsciously relax more and the tension will ease.

The more you ride, the easier it will be - if I don't ride for a while, I still have sore hands when I get back. The Beemer doesn't have an adjustable clutch lever so I find it hard to reach it with my little hands - but the Goose is smaller all over and everything is within easy reach. If your clutch isn't adjustable, you can make an adjustment - my husband did that for my RG - it involved putting a nut or something on the cable to bring the lever in closer. Not sure how he did it, but most men would probably know!

roks
5th November 2005, 09:51
Thanks Beemer, sometimes I race off the bike, inside and get them into epsom salts, and at times I've gritted my teeth when riding thinking yeouch I can't take this for much longer, but reading some of the posts above about riding in less traffic makes sense. About the only time they didn't hurt as much was when I went for a longer ride but I think much of that was because I had my partner in front of me and I felt really relaxed, knowing he sort of like my safety blanket. After work I often go for a few miles around home, so I'm on my own and it's not the same as having an experienced rider with you ust up ahead.

There have been a couple of tears shed just at the disappointment, finally moving from wanting to ride for years and actually doing it....especially when I'm in my late 40's. :crybaby:

crashe
5th November 2005, 10:05
You don't want to develop Carpel Tunnel Syndrome

I developed it on my right wrist, from the throttle use....it was the vibrations etc... I could only ride 10kms and the hand and fingers were numb except for my little finger, which was great to control your bike with NOT.

Learn to relax your hands on the handlebars... being new to riding you are probably holding on too tight.... you will soon learn to relax, cos you dont want to have to be off your bike for 6 weeks if you have the CTS operation.

But if you think you have developed CTS please read the info below:

Get your Dr to send you to the hospital for tests.
The waiting time to get that test is a couple of months. You will get the results straight away... Then you will go on the waiting list to have the op... that list isnt too long... as they are trying to get all those with it back up and at work again real quick. I had the op and it worked.

In the meantime........
Put HOT water in the sink.... as hot as you can bear it. Then stretch your fingers out to full stretch.. hold for a few seconds and then close into a fist... do that a few times.. and it will help.
I had "Hand Therapy" physio after my op.... and they put my hand in special hot wax.... and man did that help. They told me to place my hand in HOT water in the sink at home as well. It is a relief but not a cure. If you are at the comp, get a bucket with HOT water in it.. and type with one hand/finger. Soak your hand in hot water doing the exercises as often as you like during the day even just before going to bed.
This really does help relieve any pain.

Another thing to do is drop your hand down beside you and give it a gentle shake... even when riding you can do that.. it again helps relieve the pressure.

WINJA
5th November 2005, 10:13
ok..so I'm a newbie to the wonderful world of motorcycling but I suffer from aching hands and wrists even after just a short ride. I do suffer from tendonitis but this is usually only minimal. Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?? Wondering also if it's because I may be a little tense when riding and haven't quite relaxed yet.
YOU MAY JUST NEED A MASSAGE AHEM COUGH COUGH , OR THERE WAS A PRODUCT FOR SALE TO HELP COMBAT THIS , IT WAS A GYROSCOPIC BEE THING THAT CYCLETREADS USED TO SELL , IT WOULD HURT LIKE FUCK AT FIRST WHEN USING IT , BUT IT STRENGTHENED YOUR WRISTS HANDS AND FOREARMS , WAS ONLY ABOUT $30

roks
5th November 2005, 10:16
YOU MAY JUST NEED A MASSAGE AHEM COUGH COUGH , OR THERE WAS A PRODUCT FOR SALE TO HELP COMBAT THIS , IT WAS A GYROSCOPIC BEE THING THAT CYCLETREADS USED TO SELL , IT WOULD HURT LIKE FUCK AT FIRST WHEN USING IT , BUT IT STRENGTHENED YOUR WRISTS HANDS AND FOREARMS , WAS ONLY ABOUT $30

A massage huh??? So maybe I tell my partner than ALL of the aches :whistle:

WINJA
5th November 2005, 10:19
A massage huh??? So maybe I tell my partner than ALL of the aches :whistle:
IF YOUR A LESSY GET THE MASSAGE AND TELL US ABOUT IT IF NOT , GET THE GYRO BEE OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED

Ixion
5th November 2005, 11:20
Petal has my right hand numb after about an hour, from the vibration. I'd forgotten how those bikes vibrated.

If vibration is part of the problem, it may help to fit bar end weights (or different ones, if the Marauder has them as standard). They can move the handlebar vibes outside the rev range that you normally ride at .

If your handle bars don't have holes in 'em, you can fill them with water and plug the ends. That helps too.

Is the throttle return spring unnecessarily strong? A strong return spring can induce fatigue, holding the throttle open against the sping. With modern twin cable throttles only a very light action is needed.

If it's not vibration, your riding position may be wrong. Essentially, when riding at your normal speed, there should be NO load on the wrists. You should be able to relax them completely and flip your wrists about on the bars. Your weight should be taken by your back, your legs, and the wind.

Unfortunately, bikes today do not have such a range of adjustments as older ones, and it can be hard to get the position of everything right.

trumpy
5th November 2005, 15:19
Back on a road bike after a very lengthy layoff. Been riding dirt bikes bikes for a few years in the old "sit up and beg" position. My new road bike (Speed Four) has (horrors!) clip ons. It has taken a few weeks to get used to them and now I actually prefer this riding position. As mentioned elswhere, when you get out on the open road the wind pressure takes a lot of the weight off your wrists. Around town I find that if I grip the bike with my knees and then lean back very slightly and support myself with my stomach and back muscles, the pressure goes from my wrists entirely. (Added bonus....the exercise is starting to reduce my somewhat ample girth!! Two belt notches already ..yeehaaa!) This also allowed me to relax my initial "death grip" (while I had been over the bars on my dirt bike more times than I can remember, road rash hurts more than dirt bumps!) on the bars and lets me counter steer properly.
Good luck and have fun.

thealmightytaco
5th November 2005, 20:09
I had that prob on my FXR for a few weeks, soon passes, but now I've got it again on the NSR I've just got goin', scary piece of machinery. Being tense on machinery you're afraid of could be a big part of it, but in time it'll be sweet.

skidz
5th November 2005, 20:15
The keeping your wrists level thing is the same as for horse riding, actually much of riding a bike goes hand in hand with riding a horse. I'ts a beaut day in Christchurch, perfect for an open road cruise.
Yep, but it's a steel horse and they can both buck.

roks
5th November 2005, 20:57
Yep, but it's a steel horse and they can both buck.
A bike doesn't kick you in the head though, nor does it require daily feeding and grooming, at least motorbikes go when you turn the key (all being well) a horse?? pffftttt....goes when it feels like it and tends to take off in any direction it takes a fancy to, and also doesn't come to a sudden halt from a gallop when it sees water :argh:

Macktheknife
5th November 2005, 21:23
Sounds like most of your issue will be stress newbie, as previously mentioned just relax and trust your body and your bike, the harder you try to control it the more it will feel like work.
Try to get some older or more experienced riders to give you a few pointers to help you out, go on some rides and get your miles up.

roks
5th November 2005, 21:26
Actually I wouldn't mind at all going for a ride amongst some experienced riders apart from my other half and get some different perspectives on what I'm doing right/wrong.

Ixion
5th November 2005, 21:30
,, and also doesn't come to a sudden halt from a gallop when it sees water :argh:

Ah , so I'm not the only one that's happened to. My last experience on an horse it did just that. Spied a water trough, shot off over to it before I'd even realised to was up to anything. Stuck its head down and arse up, and tried to tip me in the water !. Vicious brute!!. 'Tws 5 minutes of tense drama , man versus brute beast, me hauling on the rein things and kicking the brute like a 500 single; and him whamming his head down and arse up and twisting like a dervish. :headbang: I won though :niceone: I credit the old Velo 500 for developing my kicking muscles. Mrs Ixion was no help at all, just kept saying "what are you doing, come along and stop messing about". As if I *could* "come along"!. *HER* horse behaved perfectly!

EDIT: As is probably obvious, I don't normally do horses.

roks
5th November 2005, 21:37
yeah...it's sooooo undignified coming off a horse, disappearing over it's head and coming to a rest in fecking water and having a very uncomfortable ride home while your mates are sniggering at you on their peftectly behaved steeds. :crybaby:

roks
7th November 2005, 19:57
well people I've jst come back from a really good ride, got out of the traffic and onto quiet roads and listened to some of the advice I've been given here. Firstly, I relaxed and became part of the bike and not just on her, secondly I managed to move my hands more and flex them. But no sore hands or wrists, apart from the first 15 minutes. I'm sure relaxing and not clenching really did it. Thanks one and all for your kindly advice :rockon:

beyond
14th December 2005, 21:21
You'll come right. It takes time and relaxing is important. Unless you are riding hard to the max, lighten up on your grip and you will notice the difference.

roks
15th December 2005, 17:00
going for my first longish distance ride a couple of weeks back, once I was ot of the traffic I was way more relaxed, even to the point of doing some wee exercises, like flexing fingers etc and most of all releasing my grip. Thanks:shifty:

danb
1st January 2006, 01:11
This may be a little late but maybe useful

A few weeks ago after seeing this post and getting sick on numb fingers etc I decided to change the angle of the brake and clutch leavers position on the bars - I found them that they where to high sitting to high on the bars. Have since changed them to be lower and I hardly get pain etc. :done:

Must have been putting pressure on the wrong part of my hands.

Hope this helps!