PDA

View Full Version : Mopeds on Car Learners

nadroj
5th November 2005, 10:09
Can anyone advise the relevant regs that allow a 15YO to get a car learners and ride a restricted scooter, and the conditions that apply? I've looked at the obvious pages on LTSA but either missed the relevant one or couldn't find.

texmo
5th November 2005, 11:01
Well anybody on a leaners car licence can drive a restriced 50cc scooter, same conditions apply as learners car licence,, ie no passangers, display an L plate, no driving after 10pm ect.... if you de-restrict your scooter and get caught going over 60km/hr you can go to court for fraud...

thehollowmen
5th November 2005, 12:52
no driving after 10pm ect....
whoa whoa whoa
that isn't a learners condition.. only a restricted one.

That was overlooked by people who thought "oh if they're on a car license then they must be with someone who is on their full supervising"

Ixion
5th November 2005, 12:56
Well anybody on a leaners car licence can drive a restriced 50cc scooter, same conditions apply as learners car licence,, ie no passangers, display an L plate, no driving after 10pm ect.... if you de-restrict your scooter and get caught going over 60km/hr you can go to court for fraud...

Nope. All those restrictions are on a BIKE licence. They didn't apply them to the car learner because they assumed the learner would have a supervisor. And forgot about mopeds.

The Beast
5th November 2005, 12:57

Do you know how to de-restrict a Nifty Fifty?

texmo
5th November 2005, 12:58
No, it is a learners condition read your road code properly mate. I know this is lame but had to study it in school for a whole month..... some saftey campainge thing

texmo
5th November 2005, 13:01
Do you know how to de-restrict a Nifty Fifty?

Depends on bike but look at your exhaust if you have a little bannana shaped thing coming off the side of the exhaust some where thats your restrictor cut it off with a hacksaw about 3cm from where it meets the exhaust clamp it and weld it. you should get anohter 5-15km/hr moer out of your scooter, I have heard of an et2 de-restriced getting a ticked for 67km/hr down bond st which is flying for a 50cc scoot

thehollowmen
5th November 2005, 13:04
try
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode/other-road-users/mopeds.html
and
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html

I'm really surprised that it doesn't clarify about the 'you must have someone driving with you' issue.

Ixion
5th November 2005, 13:04
See This post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=295077&postcount=65) for the relevant regulations. And discussion.

thehollowmen
5th November 2005, 13:06
No, it is a learners condition read your road code properly mate. I know this is lame but had to study it in school for a whole month..... some saftey campainge thing

Learner licence conditions

1. You must not drive on your own. A supervisor must be sitting in the front passenger seat beside you when you're driving. Your supervisor must hold (and have held for at least two years) a current full New Zealand driver licence.
2. You must display 'L' (learner) plates on the front and rear of the vehicle.
3. You must have your learner licence with you when you're driving.

* If you're under 20 years old, the legal alcohol limit is 30 mg/100 ml of blood. This is effectively a zero limit - one drink means you can be charged with drink driving.
* If you're over 20 years, the legal alcohol limit is 80 mg/100 ml of blood. Your driving, however, may be affected well before you reach the legal alcohol limit.

For more information on penalties, read:

* Our 'enforcement' factsheets
* Information on penalties and offences in the legal section of this website.

I've got two road codes and just checked them both. Nothing about it for class one, only for motorcyclists on class six.

Ixion
5th November 2005, 13:11

Read the LAW mate. Here it is

Land ransport (Driver Licencing ) rule 1999

16.Conditions of learner licence—

(1)The holder of a learner licence of a particular class is authorised to drive a vehicle to which that class of licence relates if the holder complies with the following conditions:

(a)The holder must not drive the vehicle (unless driving a motorcycle, moped, or an all-terrain vehicle) unless the holder is accompanied in the vehicle by a person who—

(i)Holds, and has held for at least 2 years, a full licence of a class that authorises that person to drive that vehicle; and
(ii)Is in charge of the vehicle; and
(iii)Is seated in the front passenger seat or, if there is no front passenger seat available, is seated as close as is practicable to the driver; and

(b)In the case of a Class 1L licence or Class 6L licence, the holder displays on the vehicle an ``L'' plate as specified in clause 66; and

(c)In the case of a Class 6L licence,—
(i)The holder must not drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am; and (ii)The holder must not drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h; and
(iii)The holder must not drive a motorcycle that has a total piston displacement exceeding 250 cm3; and
(iv)The holder must not carry another person on the motorcycle or in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle.

See the bits in red? The holder of a class 1 learner licence is permitted to drive a moped. And the law specifically says that a class 1 learner driving a moped does NOT need to be accompanied.

And the curfew etc is specifically only for a class 6L licence.

So class 1L avoids the curfew stuff. And doesn't have to have the supervisor if on a moped. The exclusion for motorcycle is irrelevant because you can't drive a motorcycle on a class IL. But you CAN drive a moped- which was what the legislators forgot.

Damn silly, but there it is

thehollowmen
5th November 2005, 13:13
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=355923816&hitsperheading=on&infobase=pal_regs.nfo&jump=r1999-100%2fs.16&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_r1999-100/s.16

EDIT : Ixion has better formatting and is getting rep for it.

Ixion
5th November 2005, 13:13
Learner licence conditions

1. You must not drive on your own. A supervisor must be sitting in the front passenger seat beside you when you're driving. Your supervisor must hold (and have held for at least two years) a current full New Zealand driver licence.

Nope. See previous post for the exception for mopeds being driven on a class 1L licence.

texmo
5th November 2005, 13:14
Hmmm its diffrent from what I am reading what now lol, My school AGS had all its own sheets done by LTSA but specially for us lol, thats funny....

thehollowmen
5th November 2005, 13:16
Nope. See previous post for the exception for mopeds being driven on a class 1L licence.

exactly.. can't have someone sitting beside you because you're not allowed a sidecar... :weird:

thehollowmen
5th November 2005, 13:18
Hmmm its diffrent from what I am reading what now lol, My school AGS had all its own sheets done by LTSA but specially for us lol, thats funny....
ppfft *them* who cares about THEM?

the law is the thing you have to worry about, LTSA often make feckups.

Funny though, once you move off the 1L to the 1R THEN you have the 10 to 5 problem

18.Conditions of restricted licence—
(1)The holder of a restricted licence of a particular class is authorised to drive a vehicle to which that class of licence relates if the holder complies with the following conditions:

(a)In the case of a Class 1R licence, the holder—

(i)Must not carry any passenger, other than the holder's spouse [or partner] or a dependant, unless the holder is accompanied by a person described in subclause (2); and

(ii)Must not drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am unless the holder is accompanied by a person described in subclause (2); and

Ixion
5th November 2005, 13:24
LTSA won't tell you about it, because they stuffed up. They didnt intend it to be that way, just forgot about mopeds on a 1L. It's a loophole, and LTSA aren't going to point out loopholes for you.

Jog-Insanity
14th December 2005, 20:17
I ride my de-restricted Jog on my restricted, take passengers and ride after 10pm. To be honest i dont think the cops know the law to well when it comes to mopeds altho i always get worried when passing cars in the cycle lane when im doing 65kph and i see a cop......