PDA

View Full Version : GSXR Transmission slack

SimJen
5th November 2005, 16:43
Guys,

My 99 Gixxer 600 seems to have a lot of driveline slack. I've adjusted the chain properly, checked the sprockets for tightness, changed the cush drive rubbers....but still heaps of slack.
If I put the bike on its race stand and engage any gear (ive tried em all) then spin the wheel it rotates about 20-30mm or so....lots of slack.
Makes gear changing weird unless you are really going hard.
I've checked the service manual but can't seem to see any problems that it could be.....every gear can't be worn that much surely.
Looking into the oil hole to see if the clutch turns as I take up the slack, and it doesn't? so possibly the slack is internal.......
Bikes only got 35,000km's on it and the gearbox is perfect otherwise.

Anyone got any experience with Gixxers on here?

DEATH_INC.
5th November 2005, 21:02
Can't be too much that can go wrong,maybe check the clutch hub nut too,it's not a big job to whip the cover off and have a looksee in there.If it was the gears it would sorta bang when you moved it back and forth,and it would be unlikely to be all of 'em.

SimJen
5th November 2005, 22:10
Yeah I thought about whipping the side cover off to check the clutch, hopefully its something simple.

WINJA
5th November 2005, 22:17
MAKE SURE ITS NOT JUST A COUPLE OF FUCKED LINKS

SimJen
6th November 2005, 07:18
MAKE SURE ITS NOT JUST A COUPLE OF FUCKED LINKS

Nah, the chains fine. The slack is definately in the gearbox/clutch area.

White trash
6th November 2005, 07:21
Could be the front sprocket getting play on the output shaft spline too. Heppend to a mate who'd put accessorie sprockets on his 97 750. The sprocket flogged out in the center, got loose, fucked the spline too.

SimJen
6th November 2005, 08:02
I checked the front sprocket and its tight. Cheers anyway.

MacD
6th November 2005, 10:48
Guys,

My 99 Gixxer 600 seems to have a lot of driveline slack. I've adjusted the chain properly, checked the sprockets for tightness, changed the cush drive rubbers....but still heaps of slack.

If the movement appears to be coming from within the gearbox then isn't it just the slack between the gear selection dogs and the slots that they fit into? Both my bikes have a similar degree of movement.

onearmedbandit
6th November 2005, 12:08
I noticed a bit of slack in my drivetrain before I took it in for its major service. Along with other bits and pieces, they adjusted my throttle cable slack, idle speed and throttle valve syncro. Now there is almost no noticable slack and riding around town is far more enjoyable. Might be worth a try.

SimJen
6th November 2005, 12:18
Okay thanks guys its good to get a few peoples ideas. My other bike didn't have quite so much, but its due for a carb sync and a few other bits and pieces, so perhaps it will all help. :)

DEATH_INC.
9th November 2005, 19:44
If the movement appears to be coming from within the gearbox then isn't it just the slack between the gear selection dogs and the slots that they fit into? Both my bikes have a similar degree of movement.
This is a good point.They are not an exact fit.....