PDA

View Full Version : KB'ers meeting up at the Paeroa races

LB
19th February 2004, 05:11
Hi there. I'm coming up for Paeroa. Have decided in view of (a) the weather and (b) the fact that I've picked up a shitty cold, to take the car. (Yeah, yeah I know I'm a girl).

For those KB'ers who are going from Auckland or wherever, what say we try to organise to meet up at the track? It'd be nice to be able to put a face to some names.

What about 12.30pm at the start/finish line, on the outside of the track?

If anyone has a better suggestion for a meeting place or time, please feel free to post. There may well be a better place to try to meet (what about the entry to the Woolworths supermarket near the pits? There would be more room?)

Let me know what you think.

What?
19th February 2004, 19:02
Supermarket entrance is a MUCH better bet. See ya there. :wavey:

wkid_one
19th February 2004, 19:09
Hi there. I'm coming up for Paeroa. Have decided in view of (a) the weather and (b) the fact that I've picked up a shitty cold, to take the car. (Yeah, yeah I know I'm a girl).

For those KB'ers who are going from Auckland or wherever, what say we try to organise to meet up at the track? It'd be nice to be able to put a face to some names.

What about 12.30pm at the start/finish line, on the outside of the track?

If anyone has a better suggestion for a meeting place or time, please feel free to post. There may well be a better place to try to meet (what about the entry to the Woolworths supermarket near the pits? There would be more room?)

Let me know what you think.
RSA in the middle of the track. Quiet beer while waiting - much better place to wait

Wonko
19th February 2004, 19:29
I can recomend the RSA as a good place for a drop or two.

LB
20th February 2004, 05:04
are you guys all coming together? (no rude responses to that please!!)
If so, I've got Dukeman's mobile so could ring him to find where you are at 11.30am, and then come (see above) and find you. (since we've now got three suggested meeting places)

Wonko
20th February 2004, 08:32
I'll be down in Paeroa from Sat afternoon, and helping out on the track somewhere on Sunday , don't know what they'll get me to do yet.

Give me a bell on 027 268 4236. Wollies might be easyest as there is a lot more space there

Draco
21st February 2004, 09:18
Weather permitting Death & I will be riding down with some other mates. Would love to meet some more KB'rs. My mobile: 027 4272 508. If we don't find you guys just give us a txt. Fingers crossed for the weather.

wkid_one
21st February 2004, 10:04
027 2 48 98 68 is my number....I'll be there, and if you are nice, I will let you chuck your gear in the back of the car so you don't need to carry it around

What?
21st February 2004, 18:58
Weather permitting Death & I will be riding down with some other mates. Would love to meet some more KB'rs. My mobile: 027 4272 508. If we don't find you guys just give us a txt. Fingers crossed for the weather.
I'll be there somewhere. 021 688210.

Yamahamaman
21st February 2004, 19:50
I'll be there too :yeah:

MikeL
21st February 2004, 21:04
Me too, provided the weather's not complete sh*t.

Kwaka-Kid
22nd February 2004, 00:03
sweet, 021 16 55 668 here, give us a txt or bell if you want to meet up, will be with putman undoubtedly for the day too. hope to catch up with you all there.

MikeL
22nd February 2004, 18:32
O.K. Went to Paeroa. Great day. Weather almost perfect (a bit windy, but better than last year's scorching heat).
Saw a few KBers in the Yamaha tent. But what about the planned meeting by the supermarket? Or was it supposed to be the RSA?
:disapint:
And I was soooooooooooo looking forward to meeting Lynda...
Let's do it better next time, eh?

wkid_one
22nd February 2004, 18:37
I wasn't there - had an emergency down here and spent most of the weekend in the hospitable (not me)

What?
22nd February 2004, 19:14

I managed to meet Lynda (or, rather, she managed to meet me...)and her long-suffering husband (her description!) Hamish. Nice people, too. I got the impression that Lynda is quite keen on bikes.

Zed
22nd February 2004, 19:20
O.K. Went to Paeroa. Great day. Weather almost perfect (a bit windy, but better than last year's scorching heat).
Saw a few KBers in the Yamaha tent. But what about the planned meeting by the supermarket? Or was it supposed to be the RSA?
:disapint:
Let's do it better next time, eh?
I made it down there also. Decided to go at the last minute and arrived there about 3pm just in time to see No.12 on the GSXR1000 bin it on the Marshall St curve during the Formula Paeroa race- that waz a beauty, I was right in front of him when it happened...I had a weird premonition that he was heading for trouble just seconds before he became airborne! :Punk:

I went for a bit of a wander around but gave up on trying to spot any of you's in the crowd...watched the racing instead (with my $1.50 earplugs inserted).

The ride back to Auckland was a blast with heaps of other bikes on the road, bit of a traffic jam & counted 3 police, but that only temporarily slowed us down. :shifty:

Zed

MadDuck
22nd February 2004, 19:46
What an awesome day...and the sun stayed out just for that. I saw a few KB shirts but always on the other side of the damn road

Was an interesting ride back and I now understand the licence plate "Why Q". Thanks for blazing a clear path for us N!

Funniest thing on the way home...just before Silverdale a big hawk right in the middle of the lane. Should I go left or right to avoid it? Decided left and had to duck as the damn thing nearly took my head off. I am sure that would have hurt just a little at speed :crazy:

130wide
22nd February 2004, 19:50
Got to Paeroa about 10am, ride from Rotorua with about 15 others. 10.30 three off us went to Kopu-Tairua-Whitiangi(lunch)back to Whagamata-Waihi-paeroa watched the last demo of the 04 R1 and a few others races then went home, must be the first time I hadn't caught up with Hamish and Lynda, next time.
1 cop going to Paeroa
1 cop couldn't keep up out of Whiti
2 cops going home from Paeroa, nabbed one of my mates before Katikati.

Andrew
22nd February 2004, 20:34
Was having a lot of fun till I crashed on the way back.

I came up to a corner on the way back. There was a bit of a ramp in the road just before the corner. This ramped the bike up and off put me for leaning over to take the corner. Instead I pulled my front brake on hard and went in a straight line over to the other side of the road. The wheel hit the gravel and slid out and so I went for a slide aswell.

The gravel was on the edge of a guys driveway, this guy came out and said that he was going to sue Manukau City council. He said that I was the 45th motorcyclist to crash on that corner!

I only binned at about 30 or 40kph so I'm totally unscathed. The fairing however is a different story. It took out the front left indicator as well at totally grating up my left lower side fairing.

Anyway I'm thankful to be ok and that the bike is in relative mechanical condition. Thanks to your guys support when I needed it! Still doesn't stop it from making me mad though. :angry2: :mad: :angry:

MikeL
22nd February 2004, 20:49
Sorry to hear about your accident Andrew. You've been having a run of bad luck lately. Where exactly was that corner?

XRNR
22nd February 2004, 20:50
Was having a lot of fun till I crashed on the way back....
Stop making these confessions online, your giving youself a bad reputation.

Next time I go riding with you I am not comming within a 10foot barge pole's distance.

Andrew
22nd February 2004, 20:52

Next time I go riding with you I am not comming within a 10foot barge pole's distance.

Talk about knowing how to beat a guy up when hes down?! - Whats all that about?

XRNR
22nd February 2004, 21:05
Talk about knowing how to beat a guy up when hes down?! - Whats all that about?
Yeah sorry,
Didn't mean it to come out badly, Forgot how your feeling at the mo.

Andrew
22nd February 2004, 21:07
Yeah sorry,
Didn't mean it to come out badly, Forgot how your feeling at the mo.

Apolgy accepted. :msn-wink:

Zed
22nd February 2004, 21:13

Bad news about your skid Andrew, glad YOU are okay.

You know there is a lot to be said for good riding companions...sometimes they can encourage/discourage the way you ride! Maybe it was XRNR's fault for not leading you into that corner responsibly? :rolleyes:

Zed

Andrew
22nd February 2004, 21:15
Bad news about your skid Andrew, glad YOU are okay.

You know there is a lot to be said for good riding companions...sometimes they can encourage/discourage the way you ride! Maybe it was XRNR's fault for not leading you into that corner responsibly? :rolleyes:

Zed

XRNR wasn't on the ride. However we have ridden together on at least one occasion.

Motu
22nd February 2004, 22:13
The high point for me of course was the Supermotards,seeing Stephen Briggs back it into the Fathers Tavern corner was worth the entry fee alone,transition from brake slide to powerslide was seamless,I could watch him all day.Different styles in motard,but interesting to see the riders who were at the front of the field put their leg out,those who didn't were mainly to the rear.

Eric Bone crashed out in the first race - by the time I worked my way around to the pits to see how he was,he was in the RSA,so no problems there.

The TM400 taking on Vince Sharpe on the Honda - way to go!!!!! So many battles on a short tight course,it makes it such an exciting days racing.Checking out the bike park is more important than the racing,I just love to check out what others are riding,picking out unusual bikes - my brother from Canada was with me...he hasn't seen so many Guzzi's in his life,but we didn't see one XS650,Suzuki Turbo or XLV750,so we were satisfied with our uniquness.

The bike of the day - definatly the supercharged Harley.

Rider of the day - the one armed Supermotard rider! he was right up there just on the pack,not out of touch with them at all - and he wasn't even on a motard! street tyres on a standard KTM. Yeah,well done mate.

Zed
22nd February 2004, 22:20
The high point for me of course was the Supermotards,seeing Stephen Briggs back it into the Fathers Tavern corner was worth the entry fee alone,transition from brake slide to powerslide was seamless...
Yeah that was impressive to watch...but he ended up 2nd after leading most of the way didn't he?

Rider of the day - the one armed Supermotard rider! he was right up there just on the pack,not out of touch with them at all - and he wasn't even on a motard! street tyres on a standard KTM. Yeah,well done mate.
Good on him for entering! It would be interesting to know his background in racing, maybe his arm was disabled in a crash?...he was a good 5-10 seconds behind the pack!

Zed

Kwaka-Kid
22nd February 2004, 22:42
sorry to hear andrew :( dude you know ill always ride by your side (almost scraping fairings with ya too as usual) It happens to the best of us apparently. Just learn dude, learn from your mistake and move on.

SPman
23rd February 2004, 08:23
And how come Andrew is always in these photos? Scary!

slob
23rd February 2004, 10:02
Sorry to hear about the crash Andrew. Motoracer told me that it happened at the same place that I crashed my KLX650 a year and half ago - I think I even told you about that incident when we were in Paeroa - coincidence or what?

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 10:35
It really sux I know but like I was saying before, you got away with it pretty lightly and it could have been way worst. I know it still hurts the walet and pride etc but like KK said, it happens to most of us at some time. Besides being the 45th one to bin it there must say something about the corner itself.

MikeL
23rd February 2004, 12:23
It really sux I know but like I was saying before, you got away with it pretty lightly and it could have been way worst. I know it still hurts the walet and pride etc but like KK said, it happens to most of us at some time. Besides being the 45th one to bin it there must say something about the corner itself.

I still don't know exactly where it happened.

Motoracer
23rd February 2004, 12:39
I could draw you a map on paper but since I am so lost for names, I'll leave it for someone else to explain.

bikerboy
23rd February 2004, 15:09
So where was everyone? I went up with a group of late risers. Stopped by the RSA a few times but never saw any KBers. I did manage to see Vladi, Andrew and Logan just before heading home.

Too bad I missed the KB gathering place. Would have been nice to meet up with some of the others I haven't met yet, especially the non Aucklanders.

Yamahamaman
23rd February 2004, 16:19
So where was everyone? I went up with a group of late risers. Stopped by the RSA a few times but never saw any KBers. I did manage to see Vladi, Andrew and Logan just before heading home.

Too bad I missed the KB gathering place. Would have been nice to meet up with some of the others I haven't met yet, especially the non Aucklanders.
I apparently missed it as well. :confused2

LB
23rd February 2004, 18:03
Hi Guys. Sorry about not organising the meeting-up better. Bumped into What? (KB t-shirts are great!) and chatted for ages (nice to meet you!) and then got carried away with guys in leather. We were sort of helping out a couple of our mates racing and the time just got away on me.

I did see a couple of KB t-shirts, but they were across the track.

An excellent day's racing.

The demo laps by Tony Rees on the standard 04 R1 were pretty good too.

Yep, Jason McEwen's crash was pretty spectacular Zed.

Motu, also saw Eric Bone's - I'm so glad he was okay, he's a neat guy.

Did you guys see Steve Bridge on the Duc go down - highsided coming out of the esses - ouch.

MikeL - I'm SO SO sorry I didn't get to meet you too......we'll have to organise something sometime....

And we met up with ching_ching at Turangi Saturday AM on the way north, he rode with us (behind our car she says rather sheepishly, eyes downcast....) and we spent a very pleasent time at the McCafe in Taupo chatting over brunch. Lovely to meet you ching.

I'm now trying to catch up on 75 posts!

DEATH_INC.
23rd February 2004, 18:05
I apparently missed it as well. :confused2
Yeah,us too.We got stuck on the outside of the track for a while and by the time we got there we couldn't see anyone......

georgedubyabush
23rd February 2004, 21:09
Good to meet whoever I met, though I'm not really sure who for a few of you. Ride there was damned fast. Flat on tank and throttle pinned clutchless redline changes the entire way. Stupid straight roads.

Was just behind andrew for his crash on the way back. Saw his slide through the gravel on his back. That road is in pretty bad shape, I was getting some good steering shakes through there. When the sour looking old codger came lumbering up his drive I was sure he was gonna give us a rolicking, but he was pretty sympathetic, and on a crusade against the council by the sounds of it.

Damn it SPman, pretty sly with that camera huh :eyepoke:

SPman
23rd February 2004, 23:44
Damn it SPman, pretty sly with that camera huh :eyepoke:
Yeah, finally figuring out how to use these new fangled digital thingies! :D 10x optical zoom always helps :yes:

SPman
24th February 2004, 00:41
Met up with KK, Andrew, Georgedubya and others at the Autobahn, (see earlier photo), Duke, (dummy grid marshal)l and Bestfun, (grid marshal) were our KB workers (see (crap) photos)(eventually worked out how to get around the shutter delay in digital cameras - after lots of shots where bikes and faces, had BEEN!). Also saw Spank, Nhuahn (who made it this year, but then lost his keys and had to get his flatmate to drive down from Ak with the spare!!!:eek5: :2thumbsup ), Duckman (or was it Dave - I always get them mixed - not brothers ,are you?) and, after the end of racing, Wonko.

Other than them, not a sausage.

LB
24th February 2004, 04:21
I don't suppose anyone's got any photos of either the post classic races (the 82 forgotten era ones) with #142 (black/yellow GSX1100), or Formula Streets with #17 (black Duc)?

duckman
24th February 2004, 06:58
Met up with KK, Andrew, Georgedubya and others at the Autobahn, (see earlier photo), Duke, (dummy grid marshal)l and Bestfun, (grid marshal) were our KB workers (see (crap) photos)(eventually worked out how to get around the shutter delay in digital cameras - after lots of shots where bikes and faces, had BEEN!). Also saw Spank, Nhuahn (who made it this year, but then lost his keys and had to get his flatmate to drive down from Ak with the spare!!!:eek5: :2thumbsup), Duckman (or was it Dave - I always get them mixed - not brothers ,are you?) and, after the end of racing, Wonko.

Other than them, not a sausage.
Deffintely NOT brothers, if you get mixed up again... I'm the good loking one!! :bleh:

White trash
24th February 2004, 07:01
Anyone get any shots of "Peoples Hero" Bruns on his #66 GSX-R600? Blue one. He's the guy that goes all red and looks like he stands to loose a few pounds. :bleh:

(Sorry, Jo)

SPman
24th February 2004, 11:51
Anyone get any shots of "Peoples Hero" Bruns on his #66 GSX-R600? Blue one. He's the guy that goes all red and looks like he stands to loose a few pounds. :bleh:

(Sorry, Jo) Got this one.....bike in the middle :yes:

SPman
24th February 2004, 11:56
Got this one..... Not to be confused with this #66 (6) - Chris Haldanes,Satans Shirts Ducati!

SPman
24th February 2004, 12:21
Lance Lowe, apart from pulling stoppies everywhere and crashing once, also had the only brolly girl......

White trash
24th February 2004, 12:47
Lance is da man!

Saw him wheelie a complete lap of Puke' on his TR50. Hairpin and all! :eek5:

I shit you not.

Hell of a nice guy as well. Just don't get in his way on the track. Ouch!

White trash
24th February 2004, 12:55
Got this one.....bike in the middle :yes:

Thanks Mr SP!

Johann'll be stoked. Anyone else?

Motu
24th February 2004, 13:43
Lance Lowe, apart from pulling stoppies everywhere and crashing once, also had the only brolly girl......

Aren't we lucky it's not his mother! She used to dress like that before he was born....and after,long after!

Andrew
24th February 2004, 16:48
Some photos from one of the spills on the day. :wacko:

georgedubyabush
25th February 2004, 10:51
Some photos from one of the spills on the day. :wacko:

Did you find where that oil was coming from?

Coldkiwi
25th February 2004, 11:34
geez andrew, you're lucking out with that bike. Sorry to hear you've had another bin. I'll try not to give you a hard time when we next meet up!

serious question: You thought about selling the plastic and buying a naked bike and putting crash bungs on it?