PDA

View Full Version : A pain in the wrist

The Stranger
6th November 2005, 13:11
We often see posts about wrist pain posted here.

This problem should not be ignored. It often points to a bigger potential problem.

There are a few reasons why wrists may be sore and a few cures.

One of the reasons is the position of the clutch and the brake levers. On most bikes you can loosen a couple of nuts or bolts and twist the levers up or down relative to the bars. The ideal position will usually be such that when the hand is extended and resting on the top of the lever the fore arm and fingers are in a straight line. This is obviously a personal setting as riders are different heights and have different preferences.

Adjusting the levers like this also allows for a quick and easy reach for the break as the lever is in the natural position when the throttle is rolled off.

Another cause of sore wrists may be the tension with which you are holding the bars either because you are leaned over (say as on a sprot bike) or because you are tense, or both.

If it is because you are leaned over, use you knees and lower back to take the weight off of the bars. If you practice this it becomes second nature. You can and should do this even under heavy breaking (may help save the crown jewels too)

What ever the reason you must learn to loosen your grip on the bars. There are several reasons for this.

Dexterity is reduced, you may know the inputs to make but it is damn hard to make them if you are tense. Getting on the throttle gently for instance is very difficult, but often necessary whilst cornering.

Stearing inputs are more difficult when you are tense as one arm fights the other. The net effect will be to make you run wide when cornering.

The bike will transfer any bumps or potholes etc through the bars to you instead of just absorbing them thus making you more fatigued.

If you are holding on tight the problems you are causing for yourself will only make you hold on tighter setting you up for more problems.

Just relax, or else.

SixPackBack
6th November 2005, 13:22
Sore wrists are an ongoing problem for some KBers, their motorcycle however is not to blame.

T.I.E
6th November 2005, 13:23
nice work ill be trying some techniques, as i sometimes have problems with long rides mainly.
also effecting work. RSI but i aint telling work that.

T.I.E
6th November 2005, 13:24
Sore wrists are an ongoing problem for some KBers, their motorcycle however is not to blame.

and i need glasses too.

crashe
6th November 2005, 14:42
What a great thread CaN....

Some m/bike riders may also have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (rsi)...
Which can cause pain or numbness in their fingers and wrist....
So that should maybe also be taken into account.

I have had the operation on my right hand and can say that it worked great for me.
I was only able to ride 10kms before my hand went numb... which isn't great when riding a bike. It was caused by the vibrations of the throttle.

Here is some info for those who have CTS:

Get your Dr to send you to the hospital for tests.
The waiting time to get that test is a couple of months.
You will get the results straight away...
Then you will go on the waiting list to have the op... that list isnt too long... as they are trying to get all those with it back up and at work again real quick. You will only be off the bike for 6 weeks.

In the meantime........
Put HOT water in the sink.... as hot as you can bear it.
Then stretch your fingers out to full stretch.. hold for a few seconds and then close into a fist... do that a few times.. and it will help.
I had "Hand therapy" physio after my op.... and they put my hand in special hot wax.... and man did that help.
They told me to place my hand in HOT water in the sink at home as well.
It is a relief but not a cure.
If you are at the comp, get a bucket with HOT water in it.. and type with one hand/finger.
Soak your hand in hot water doing the exercises as often as you like during the day even just before going to bed.

SixPackBack
6th November 2005, 14:52
What a great thread CaN....

Some m/bike riders may also have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (rsi)...
Which can cause pain or numbness in their fingers and wrist....
So that should maybe also be taken into account.

I have had the operation on my right hand and can say that it worked great for me.
I was only able to ride 10kms before my hand went numb... which isn't great when riding a bike. It was caused by the vibrations of the throttle.

Here is some info for those who have CTS:

Get your Dr to send you to the hospital for tests.
The waiting time to get that test is a couple of months.
You will get the results straight away...
Then you will go on the waiting list to have the op... that list isnt too long... as they are trying to get all those with it back up and at work again real quick. You will only be off the bike for 6 weeks.

In the meantime........
Put HOT water in the sink.... as hot as you can bear it.
Then stretch your fingers out to full stretch.. hold for a few seconds and then close into a fist... do that a few times.. and it will help.
I had "Hand therapy" physio after my op.... and they put my hand in special hot wax.... and man did that help.
They told me to place my hand in HOT water in the sink at home as well.
It is a relief but not a cure.
If you are at the comp, get a bucket with HOT water in it.. and type with one hand/finger.
Soak your hand in hot water doing the exercises as often as you like during the day even just before going to bed.

Dear Dr Crashe

Thank you for your excellent advice re: Carpal tunnel syndrome.
I do however have a question for you regarding Masturbation and the use of hot water in bed: My question would be Dr, that i have to stop and dip my hand into the hot water, this has two negative effects, the bed gets very wet and my boiling hot hand is damaging the sensitive skin on my penis. Could you please regale us with your experiences re: masturbation whilst having RSI.

Regards
ANON

Will
6th November 2005, 17:25
What about when the pain in the wrist is due to OLD AGE. :thud:

There, I said it. :thud:

If it is gout, tough shit. The alcohol is medicinal.

The Stranger
6th November 2005, 19:28
Look Sorry SPB, I tried to give you rep for this, but apparently I have to spread it around first.

Your eloquence is unparalleled sir.

thehollowmen
7th November 2005, 06:55
As well as very heavy clutch levers, I think some people grip too strongly on the bars and the vibrations jar the wrists. (ever used one of those car polishers or floor polishers?)

I found that was my problem, because my brakes and clutch are set up lightly. Some of the HD riders won't get the problem because their handlebars can have suspension in them (I'm not kidding, go push the bars on a softtail up and down)

ever seen that keith codes video where a sports bike is held in a turn by two fingers? Loosely relaxed is better for the wrists.

thehollowmen
7th November 2005, 06:58
Dear Dr Crashe

I do however have a question for you regarding Masturbation and the use of hot water in bed: My question would be Dr, that i have to stop and dip my hand into the hot water, this has two negative effects, the bed gets very wet and my boiling hot hand is damaging the sensitive skin on my penis. Could you please regale us with your experiences re: masturbation whilst having RSI.

Regards
ANON

Use antiflamme
That will wake you up if you touch your penis afterwards

The Stranger
7th November 2005, 08:00
Dear Dr Crashe

Regards
ANON

I was so concerned about your plight I did a bit of research and found the following information (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=the+stranger&defid=865033) which may be helpful to relieve your pain.

Good luck, be sure and let us know how you get on wont you.

Lou Girardin
7th November 2005, 12:55
Or you could buy bikes with proper riding positions.

ManDownUnder
7th November 2005, 13:07

I noticed that... you got any tips for me?

SixPackBack
7th November 2005, 14:48
I was so concerned about your plight I did a bit of research and found the following information (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=the+stranger&defid=865033) which may be helpful to relieve your pain.

Good luck, be sure and let us know how you get on wont you.

Ahh the ever thought full CaN. I took your advice concerning 'The Stranger', effective at releasing sexual tension whilst both reducing RSI pain and giving the effect of someone else doing the hard work for me. I have a few concerns regarding this procedure
1, The stranger had a mans hand, I found this a little disturbing
2, Adminstrating The shocker with cheese to my partner whilst simultanously performing The Stranger required extreme levels of dexteriety.
3, Your concern for my Penis is appreciated. I find it somewhat erotic and worrying at the same time, let me assure you CaN I spend many hours a day considering when I may next get a performance from it.

SixPackBack
7th November 2005, 15:05
I noticed that... you got any tips for me?

Certainly MDU, combine the effects of 'The Stranger' with swapping hands on the 40th stroke. Long strokes may help, as does limiting the amount of wrap, thees factors however may already be predetermined for you and you may have no choice but to hang on tightly and pump like hell. Lastly deep heat can be applied as a soothing relief, remember this is NOT a lubricant and must be used Post masturbation, most importantly this product goes on your wrist, under no circumstances should it be used on your Penis as it will not ease friction burns or give you a cheap thrill.

ManDownUnder
7th November 2005, 15:29
Certainly MDU, combine the effects of 'The Stranger' with swapping hands on the 40th stroke. Long strokes may help, as does limiting the amount of wrap, thees factors however may already be predetermined for you and you may have no choice but to hang on tightly and pump like hell. Lastly deep heat can be applied as a soothing relief, remember this is NOT a lubricant and must be used Post masturbation, most importantly this product goes on your wrist, under no circumstances should it be used on your Penis as it will not ease friction burns or give you a cheap thrill.

Awesome- thanks Doc!

Do I need to stroke all the way to the end - bending so far forward kinda hurts the lower back after a while although it is good for the abs.

I learned about deep heat the hard way (no pun intended) and it seemd kinda inappropriate that "Great Balls of Fire" was playing the next day just as the pain subsiding enough to take off the icepacks.

I'd prefer to use a real stranger in preference to "THE" stranger. What are your thoughts on that - and where do I find one at short notice? And how can you tell if she'll be clean and safe from a distance?

Yours in servile gratitude
MDU

SixPackBack
7th November 2005, 15:55
Awesome- thanks Doc!

Do I need to stroke all the way to the end - bending so far forward kinda hurts the lower back after a while although it is good for the abs.

I learned about deep heat the hard way (no pun intended) and it seemd kinda inappropriate that "Great Balls of Fire" was playing the next day just as the pain subsiding enough to take off the icepacks.

I'd prefer to use a real stranger in preference to "THE" stranger. What are your thoughts on that - and where do I find one at short notice? And how can you tell if she'll be clean and safe from a distance?

Yours in servile gratitude
MDU

Fortunately upon birth my parents seeing how well endowed their new born was took the preemptive step of breaking both my arms in order to lengthen them, this has given me superb lower back strength and allowed me to 'exercise' in complete comfort. I can offer no solution in your case.
Finding a stranger is easy presently, ensuring cleanliness, not so. My technique is as follows. Upon choosing your victim encourage before sex a swimming session, vigorous breast stroke i find has an excellent 'flushing effect' particularly in salt water in the nude. A visual inspection is also recomended