PDA

View Full Version : Port Waikato to Raglan Harbour

Big Dave
7th November 2005, 00:29
All here:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/advent1/pages/map1.htm

Motu
7th November 2005, 06:55
Oi,that's my playground! All the way to the wharf too,makes for a long day.Was that a rally sprint or something going on there? It's seldom I see more than a half a doz cars in a whole day playing around on those roads.How did your tyres do? Those roads are a challenge sometimes even with the knobs I use,and are not really roads you can ride fast,I find Northland roads fast,Waikato roads get you working a bit harder.Nice photos as usual.

skelstar
7th November 2005, 07:23
Man, looks like some good rock climbing out there...limestone you say? Caves too no doubt.

Big Dave
7th November 2005, 08:06
>>Oi,that's my playground! All the way to the wharf too,makes for a long day.

Yeah it was - but so good - I'm 'over' a lot of the roads out of town and around the locale - i have lots of new routes to try now. happy happy.

>>Was that a rally sprint or something going on there?

Exactly - I would have stopped - but there was a car rolled over and they were suspended for half an hour so i kept going.

>>It's seldom I see more than a half a doz cars in a whole day playing around on those roads.

Passed three going the other way all day.

>>How did your tyres do? Those roads are a challenge sometimes even with the knobs I use,and are not really roads you can ride fast,I find Northland roads fast,Waikato roads get you working a bit harder.

They don't like the real loose stuff any better than road tyres really - they roll laterally over the top (as expected) and I was on a brand new 20k bike, so I rode like nanna through those sections. The harder packed stuff they were great 120kph and nice power slides - and they more than make up for shortcomings on the seal.

>>Nice photos as usual.
chz

Big Dave
7th November 2005, 08:09
Man, looks like some good rock climbing out there...limestone you say? Caves too no doubt.

Colin (warewolf) will know about caves - i'll ask.

warewolf
7th November 2005, 12:26
Man, looks like some good rock climbing out there
Not really, the rock's pretty shitty and lacks height. Haven't heard of anything major out there, quite a few people have looked. A few bits and pieces, mainly bouldering, but not really worth the trouble. Very picturesque, though.

Wharepapa South is where it is at - and the roads around that area are absolutely fabulous to ride. One of the North Island's hidden gems.

...limestone you say? Caves too no doubt.
Yup, quite a few decent caves. About an hour's ride from the Auckland CBD and there's some (crystal) formations that some people rarely see in a lifetime.

If anyone wants to have a look, I recommend you contact the Auckland Speleo Group (http://www.asg.org.nz/) (caving club to you and me; speleology is "the study of subterranean phenomena").

bugjuice
7th November 2005, 12:29
nice.. looks like a nice trek too, not quite for all sprotbikes types tho!
Nice bike to ride?
can I borrow it in Jan?