PDA

View Full Version : Seeking VTX Riders

Lord Alster
7th November 2005, 09:44
Hi Guys, :apint:
I'm just returning to riding after about 15 years away. My last bike was the infamous Honda CBX1000, 6 cylinder. Damn that was quick. I'm in the process of importing a Honda VTX1800c from the states and I'm wondering if there's many other VTX riders out there as I haven't seen even one on the road yet. Krazy Eddie from Otago has contacted me through VTXOA forum and is interested in starting a VTX owners club in NZ. I'm not sure there's enough of them around to do that as yet.
I'm starting to get all excited as my new baby is due in the country in the first week of December so watch out for me on the roads any time after that.
:done:

outlawtorn
7th November 2005, 10:36
congrats on your choice of bike, or should I say beast!! I dont know anyone who has one, but there are enough cruiser riders here for us to organise a nice ride sometime.....

Enjoy the bike and when it gets here please post up some pics.

Cheers

Lord Alster
7th November 2005, 20:22
Thanks Outlawtorn, As I said I can't wait to get her. It's been so long since I've been on a bike it actually scares me a bit but I'll just take it real easy to start with then when I get outta the street, LOOK OUT!! I have yet to go out and spend up on new bike gearand helmet and such, oh what fun I'm gonna have. Think I'll head along to Big Boys Toys this weekend and try and catch up with whats been happening in the scene for the last 15 or so years.
I'm not sure if I've done it right but I think there should be a couple of picks with this now.:2thumbsup

Virago
7th November 2005, 21:30
Hey, welcome to the site LA! You'll find there's quite a few "mid-life crisis" folks here, who have just got back into bikes. I was away for over 20 years...

That is one nice looking machine! You'll be counting the "sleeps" until it arrives - just in time for Christmas too! I'm keen to have a look at one of the new 2006 model VTX1300 machines, when they become available down here.

Cookie
11th November 2005, 12:18
Hi Guys, :apint:
...I'm in the process of importing a Honda VTX1800c from the states... :done:

Cool! It's on my list of bikes I would like to own. :yes:

Are you willing to go into why you are importing it from the States?

What are the advantages of importing from your point of view?

Lord Alster
11th November 2005, 14:57
There's a definite price advantage buying in the states at present with the dollar the way it is. There's lots of hoops you have to jump through tho so it's not something you wanna try if you wanna get riding in a hurry. My VTX for example I bought on the 25th Sept, it's due to leave the States sometime in the next couple of weeks, not exactly sure when. You need to get the right people handling crating and freighting etc or it's a real head ache. I can tell you more about it if you wanna email me directly at admoore@xtra.

vifferman
11th November 2005, 15:04
Welcome to the KiwiBiker gargre, Lord Alster, your highness. :wavey:

Lord Alster
11th November 2005, 15:17
Thanks Vif, pleased to be here.

Cookie
12th November 2005, 20:41
There's a definite price advantage buying in the states at present with the dollar the way it is. There's lots of hoops you have to jump through tho so it's not something you wanna try if you wanna get riding in a hurry. My VTX for example I bought on the 25th Sept, it's due to leave the States sometime in the next couple of weeks, not exactly sure when. You need to get the right people handling crating and freighting etc or it's a real head ache. I can tell you more about it if you wanna email me directly at admoore@xtra.

Cheers Lord Alster. I would like to get in touch later on.

Good luck with the NZ end of the process. Hope to see you out on the roads on her soon!

Waylander
12th November 2005, 21:23
Hmm... Might just be about time to set up that cruiser riders only ride I've been thinking about for the last few months....

Welcome to the site LA. Sweet looking ride.:2thumbsup

(EDIT) WHy is it that alost all the power cruisers have a 2-1 pipe?

Lord Alster
12th November 2005, 22:04
Thanks Mr Waylander, Arrange the ride for sometime after the first week of Dec and I should have my VTX so count me in. I'll keep you all posted on expected arrival of my baby.

Lord Alster
18th November 2005, 12:22
Apparently only 23 VTX's have been registered here in the past 6 years, a rather exclusive club I'm entering it seems.:doh: Hope one or two of them venture into KiwiBiker one day and respond to this.:yes:
Honda have just released the 1300 onto the market this week and the 1800c is due in a couple of weeks so maybe we'll get an influx like we have with the mini choppers:lol:

Lord Alster
13th December 2005, 20:35
And still I wait.

Waylander
13th December 2005, 20:38
And still I wait.
Put your cage plate on it mate. Don't ride crazy and you'll be able to get away with it for a few days atleast.

Hell I rode around or 5 months with my Texas plate still on my bike. Only got pulled over for it when I was on my way home from the testing centre to mount my brand new NZ plate.

zadok
13th December 2005, 20:43
That looks a lot like the Intruder 1500 I nana'd around the Coro Loop on, except it doesn't have the foot boards. Better ground clearance I would think.

XTC
13th December 2005, 20:55
Apparently only 23 VTX's have been registered here in the past 6 years, a rather exclusive club I'm entering it seems.:doh: Hope one or two of them venture into KiwiBiker one day and respond to this.:yes:
Honda have just released the 1300 onto the market this week and the 1800c is due in a couple of weeks so maybe we'll get an influx like we have with the mini choppers:lol:

You might get a few more people buying the VTX1800 now that it's at a more affordable price. RRP $19995 I hear. Tho the 1300 sounds good too.

Waylander
13th December 2005, 20:57
Haha Opps thought this was your other thread. But my post is still relevant to either bike.

Lord Alster
13th December 2005, 22:09
The VTX arrives in the country on Thursday. Fingers crossed I'll have her on the road to take on holiday at Christmas.

sheddy
11th January 2006, 22:41
I hope you weren't dissapointed with your bike when you got it LA. Selling it so soon indicates that there was an issue, ie something that just didn't gell with you. Maybe less power than expected or seating position. I know your off to the states again soon but why sell it so quickly.:confused:

Lord Alster
14th January 2006, 13:50
I hope you weren't dissapointed with your bike when you got it LA. Selling it so soon indicates that there was an issue, ie something that just didn't gell with you. Maybe less power than expected or seating position. I know your off to the states again soon but why sell it so quickly.:confused:

I don't actually expect it to sell very quickly but if someone comes along with the money it's available. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the bike at all, I love it. Heaps of grunt, very smooth, looks great etc etc. In fact I'll probably buy the same again for our trip across the states later this year but I'm not very keen on paying to ship it back there and then back here again afterwards.

ValiantBoy
24th January 2006, 20:38
I picked up my VTX 1300 on Friday and have been cruising all weekend, very happy with it.

This is my first bike, previous to this I only hired Hogs in America, considered getting one when I got back to NZ, but I wanted something I could have some fun in the twisty bits, but still cruise.

After seeing the VTX 1300 I was sold, but by the time I had made my mind up to buy, they had sold out across the country! Was told I would have to wait for the next shipment in late Feb, that's two long weekend away!!!

Luckily, Greg from Boyd Honda in Hamilton came through for me, and found one still in the crate.

Keen to meet up with anyone else with a VTX for a day out, compare stories, pros and cons etc.

One thing I'd like to know is how many kms you guys are getting to a tank, I'm only getting 200, thought she would have longer legs than that.

I get a lot of people stopping, checking the bike out and asking questions.

Thinking of cruising down to Wellington (from Hamilton) this weekend. Make tracks when the sun shines, and all that.

Cookie
25th January 2006, 07:56
That's a fantastic bike mate! Welcome to KB.

(I am still riding something a little smaller than that at the moment :weep: )

What colour did you get?

Virago
25th January 2006, 08:12
Nice bike! I tried one out a few weeks ago, it is now high on my "Lotto wish-list". My only dislike was the cornering clearance - even a nana rider like me can scrape the boards really easily.

Welcome to the site - nice to see you here!:niceone:

Lord Alster
25th January 2006, 21:32
Welcome to the VTX club Valiantboy:rockon: . I'm sure you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it they're a great ride and a real head turner as well.
You're quite right about the distance on a tank, I think I'm getting around 150 to 180 miles out of a tank. Another issue you might have is the seat comfort, I find after around 100 to 150 miles it's getting a little uncomfortable, it seems to be a common complaint in the states. I'm currently considering getting a "Ultimate" seat from the States, it appears they're the best although certainly not cheap at around $700 to $850 USD for rider and pillion, makes them rather expensive by the time it gets here. I'll let you know what I decide to do when I decide. I'd be keen to meet up some time, I've got some friends in Hamilton I should come down and visit so I'll give that some thought.

Anyway congratulations on choosing a great ride my friend. Remember to keep the shiney side up.:yeah:

ValiantBoy
2nd February 2006, 07:14
I took the VTX to Wellington and back over the weekend, and she didn't miss a beat.

My only issue was the seat, may look at one of those ultimate seats also. The standard seat looks a bit fat, like something off a 1930's tractor.

Range was just over 200km, ran out just coming into Turangi (and forgot you need to turn left when you hit highway 1 after coming down the West side of Taupo to get gas, so did a bit of back tracking). So I guess the range isn't to bad, as I need a stretch (and a red bull) after a couple ours, anyway.

As far as I know, all the VTX1300s landed in NZ are all red (metallic ruby - according to my girlfriend ???). Would like to see it in black though.

1st service, after 1000km cost my $56 in parts, no charge on labour, but now I'm all ready to go.... if it would stop friggen raining here in the Waikato.

Let me know when you are in town, Lord Alster, be good to go for a ride.

Cheers,
VB.

Lord Alster
3rd February 2006, 19:57
Nice to see you're getting out and about on that beautiful bike of yours VB.

The mileage you get out of a tank isn't great, I did a check on it last weekend and got 160k's on a tank, that was open road and around town so it's not too bad I guess. The tank doesn't hold a huge amount.

There's a number of seat options available, Ultimate, Saddleman, Corbin, Mustang. Check out the following sites.
http://www.ultimateseats.ca/ http://www.day-long.com/ http://www.mustangseats.com/

It seems you need to expect to pay in the region of $700 to $800 USD for a decent Rider and pillion combination with back rest for pillion at least, I don't really see the point in a back rest for the rider. So that works out to be quite expensive by the time it gets here. I haven't yet checked out whats available locally.

Are you planning on coming up to AK for the Bike Show on Sunday.

galaxy
30th November 2007, 19:47
Hi LA, I own an 02 VTX1800C - It is an awesome machine, I have spent alot of time but not much money and modified it abit. Vance n Hines pipes - custom baffles, Mid west handlebars, extended and raised footpegs and controls, Radar detector, Fuel management system, chromed side covers and a few other tid bits. If you want advice on anything when you get your bike by all means get hold of me - galaxy@slingshot.co.nz - I would be more than keen to help you out. I would hate to think how many times I've pulled it pieces. Best of luck dude - enjoy!!!:Punk:

woodboats
10th December 2007, 16:33
There is no question Honda achieved the ultimate in styling with the 1300 and 1800 VTX bikes.
For large cruisers with great looks, reliability,affordability and plenty of grunt you can't go wrong owning one of these machines.

Now I just have to wait till my wife wants to upgrade her 250 to my 750 so I can get one!:niceone:

Congrats on your new bikes.

johnnyflash
10th December 2007, 18:25
hell mate, there are vtx's all over the blasted show, :shifty: always some out on a cruise most weekends in Aucks... always room for more :-):msn-wink:

bmz2
10th December 2007, 19:44
hell mate, there are vtx's all over the blasted show, :shifty: always some out on a cruise most weekends in Aucks... always room for more :-):msn-wink:

SHIT, now jafar is going to have a playmate :shutup:

johnnyflash
10th December 2007, 19:53
two more playmates, we have three vtx's running in the group already :) like I say they must be breeding :lol:

jafar
10th December 2007, 20:01
SHIT, now jafar is going to have a playmate :shutup:

& you 109 pilots were having trouble keeping up with only one mighty X :clap::whistle:

turtleman
10th December 2007, 20:06

Did ya check the date on the original post .... ?? :slap:

bmz2
10th December 2007, 20:10
2005 hahaha , i just go back to my little corner:laugh::doh:

johnnyflash
10th December 2007, 20:25
Did ya check the date on the original post .... ?? :slap:

true but i was actually replying to the woodboats today last post, just got lazy and quoted the first.. :spanking:

loosehead
24th August 2008, 18:30
Hi Lord Alster I have just bought 2008 VTX1800C
about 3 weeks ago.
Have dumped the standard exhaust and bought a cobra 2 in 2 pipe and custom driver and passenger seat from USA. Am waiting for weather to clear so I can ride it.

jafar
30th August 2008, 18:41
Hi Lord Alster I have just bought 2008 VTX1800C
about 3 weeks ago.
Have dumped the standard exhaust and bought a cobra 2 in 2 pipe and custom driver and passenger seat from USA. Am waiting for weather to clear so I can ride it.

Hey nice to know I'm not the only VTX 1800 rider on the site, welcome :woohoo:

The_mystic_one
16th April 2009, 20:34
another vtx rider here....1300 retro here.:2thumbsup